War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

I've barely touched most tier 2 planes, so my favorites are rather limited.

US: Haven't found one I like yet. The small caliber guns don't help them out either.
Germany: FW 190 A1 is about as far as I progressed and I like the FW 190s better than the BF 109s.
Russia: MiG 3-34
Japan: Ki-61 really suits my playstyle and it's an awesome plane.
Britain: Beaufighter. Didn't like the Hurricanes that much and I haven't got into the Spits yet.
The Hurricane is by far the best ground attack in the console version of the game... I haven't messed around with the aircraft much in the game... only the P36(?) and its variants..

IMHO one of the best tier II planes would be the Brewster Buffalo. 4x.50cals gives it a nice punch, and it's reasonably fast and agile for american plane, and can withstand decent amount of damage.

The Hurricane isn't too bad. It has a good armament and maneuverability. The only drawback is it's not fuel injection and it lacks WEP.

My exact opinion. The Hurricane's gun placement makes for a very good concentration of fire, and 8 guns (four on each wing) aren't something to scoff at. But the lack of overall speed and lesser agility (compared to other planes), do hurt it a bit. Still love using it for Tier 1 battles, mainly because it can cause quite the damage to both ground units and enemy planes.

As for my favourite planes, my range is very limited, but here are a few:

Hurricane Mk.1: See paragraph above;

I-15 M63 (I think that's the correct name?): May be limited for its biplane configuration, but it has good guns, decent agility and it can also use rockets. A good all-rounder;

A5M4: Turns on a dime, and in arcade battles that is essential. Too bad it is tremdously fragile (like most Tier 1 Japanese planes, sadly), and it doesn't have the best guns.

IMHO one of the best tier II planes would be the Brewster Buffalo. 4x.50cals gives it a nice punch, and it's reasonably fast and agile for american plane, and can withstand decent amount of damage.
Try it against a zero. It doesn't have a chance.
For American planes though. Yeh it is quite good for that tier. Better than the p40 for sure.

I need 94093RP to finish off tier II German plane research.

That might be a while. Starting to get to the grindy part of the game.

I-15 M63 (I think that's the correct name?)
I guess you mean I-153 M62, (I-15 model 3, M62 engine) aka Chaika ("Gull"). The correct name is "И-153", haha. ;)

Also, I unlocked the first Sherman tank in the lineup (M4A1), tested in a few RB games and... never lost. I even got 10 kills once, on one tank. The M4A1 has 3.3 battle rating but it's balanced against weak opponents - Pz III J, ZiS-30, T-28, T-50, early T-34 - and it literally rapes them. And even if a somehow strong enemy kills me (e.g. Pz IV F2, KV-1, SU-76), by that time I already have lots of Respawn Points and return to the battle to troll the enemies on my B-25J-1 Mitchell with 3 heavy bombs (1000lbs each) on board, giving me (at least!) 3 more kills. That's a real rape. :D If somebody wants to see, I'll share a replay.

Also, I like the view from the commander's hatch:
shot 2015.03.21 19.14.13.jpg

This toy - .50 cal M2HB - is another good thing on this tank, allowing you to bite some enemy planes flying close by or crush some lighly armored AA trucks without consuming your main gun ammo.

I guess you mean I-153 M62, (I-15 model 3, M62 engine) aka Chaika ("Gull"). The correct name is "И-153", haha. ;)

Also, I unlocked the first Sherman tank in the lineup (M4A1), tested in a few RB games and... never lost. I even got 10 kills once, on one tank. The M4A1 has 3.3 battle rating but it's balanced against weak opponents - Pz III J, ZiS-30, T-28, T-50, early T-34 - and it literally rapes them. And even if a somehow strong enemy kills me (e.g. Pz IV F2, KV-1, SU-76), by that time I already have lots of Respawn Points and return to the battle to troll the enemies on my B-25J-1 Mitchell with 3 heavy bombs (1000lbs each) on board, giving me (at least!) 3 more kills. That's a real rape. :D If somebody wants to see, I'll share a replay.

Also, I like the view from the commander's hatch:
View attachment 334702
This toy - .50 cal M2HB - is another good thing on this tank, allowing you to bite some enemy planes flying close by or crush some lighly armored AA trucks without consuming your main gun ammo.

Yeah, that's the one, thanks. 👍

Also, in case you weren't in the WT convo, this happened to me recently:
shot 2015.03.20 17.02.54.jpg

um.... two updates in the same day?

And another thing for us ground peoples... It'd be nice if I would stop spawning on rocks and flipping over. Specifically in the Ferdi and the Marder...

One of the updates was to fix the crashing the first update caused.

Nice that PS4 finally gets dirt buildup on ground forces. Had to take a test drive to see how that works. Pretty awesome to see an Army Green US tank go from that color to dirt grey... and then back to green when I parked it in a shallow part of the river that borders the Kuban map. Shame there isn't much deformation on Kuban due to mostly dry terrain.

One of the updates was to fix the crashing the first update caused.

Nice that PS4 finally gets dirt buildup on ground forces. Had to take a test drive to see how that works. Pretty awesome to see an Army Green US tank go from that color to dirt grey... and then back to green when I parked it in a shallow part of the river that borders the Kuban map. Shame there isn't much deformation on Kuban due to mostly dry terrain.
holy crap, never even knew it was on PS4.....

More tanks get machine guns now. I'll test it today, wanna try the T-28. :D
Yeah, I notice on a few of my Panzers that they have the gun but nothing was firing out..

Daym, they removed enemy markers from tank RBs. They also disabled mixed teams (like in arcade) in this mode, so matchmaking takes a bit more time now. And the balancing... I took an IS-1 and there was a guy on ZiS-30 in my team... against a Tiger II.

Also, I got a Kingtiger too. It's strong, but that Porsche turret has a vulnerable spot - the shot trap under the gun manlet. I've got killed once by an IS-2, the 122mm shell ricocheted into the hull top and BOOM. Just like it happened in real life.

Can't remember what I was going to say but last night at the jungle map on the western side of the map on the southern spawn is an absolute nightmare. I went head to head with a maus, a ferdi, and an M103... Didn't end well.
Then I tried it with a jagdpanther and killed the ferdi, but then he came back as a maus. I took out the tracks on the maus but forgot he has a turret, I don't...

The story ends not too well, because after I blew up from that one, I got into a Pz M (I think) and tried to flank the maus... nope..

The player with the ZIS-30 probably had a bad lineup to get put in that match.
Anyway, he did help me by destroying two PzIII's: one was possibly AI (a gray one, didn't note which version) but one was definetly a player (Ausf. N - short-barrel 75mm cannon + camouflage + anti-HEAT armor screens - a premium tank, AI do not drive those). Which isn't usually macthed against T-34-85 or Stalins.

I don't even understand why this happened....

I shot the elevators completely off a PBY, and completely took out it's tail controls.. yet the thing still flew like it was undamaged. Any time that happened to me when I was flying a PBY, it went into a slow, uncontrolled backflip to the ground.

I don't even understand why this happened....

I shot the elevators completely off a PBY, and completely took out it's tail controls.. yet the thing still flew like it was undamaged. Any time that happened to me when I was flying a PBY, it went into a slow, uncontrolled backflip to the ground.
That will be because all you do with a PBY is set your course to the target and fly. You don't need elevators quite as much.
If you flipped that is because of an imbalance of lift. Were you turning or using the elevators when they were shot off?

That will be because all you do with a PBY is set your course to the target and fly. You don't need elevators quite as much.
If you flipped that is because of an imbalance of lift. Were you turning or using the elevators when they were shot off?
No, but this guy was turning and diving all over the place with his lack of elevators and rudder.

One small issue I have with RB tank battles now...

Friendlies get player tags, alright, that's not exactly my issue, but it's close to it. Friendly planes do not get tags until they're within .6km and if you're using AA, that's too close of a range to be relying on a player tag because you can't see anything in the sky due to the sun going into supernova stage. :mad: And even better... they allow captured/acquired premiums into these battles, so unless you can clearly see the markings on the plane, you don't know if you're shooting a friendly or not.

I like that enemy tags are removed. It adds a bit of strategy to it.

No, but this guy was turning and diving all over the place with his lack of elevators and rudder.
That will be because the elevator is split into 2 parts. The front bit which damage to affects performance similar to damage to a wing and the back part which from my experience has no effect unless completely broken in which case the controls become unusable.

You can also shoot the control wires to have the same effect.

I know, which is why I had said the elevators were shot completely off of the tail. Every time I shot the plane, the notification of "_____ (PBY-5) has lost tail controls" popped up on the screen... no matter how many times I hit the flying boat...

Edit: I think I'll avoid air battles for now. I have no aspirations to play RB on unedited AB maps...

I know, which is why I had said the elevators were shot completely off of the tail. Every time I shot the plane, the notification of "_____ (PBY-5) has lost tail controls" popped up on the screen... no matter how many times I hit the flying boat...
It doesn't always mean it is broken when it says that but then if you are attacking a PBY from the rear I am confused. Choose a side of the wing and focus on it at least until you knock the engine out.

Had a match tonight where I had my M15 out on Ash River. I see a Jagdpanzer so I duck around a corner and start firing at it. After a few shots, I kill it. :eek:

30 seconds later, a 2nd Jagdpanzer, this time the one with spaced armor shows itself in front of me. The one shot it fired, destroyed my AA ammo, so I thought at that point I was dead to rights with just machine gun ammo to use. I must have had a really lucky shot because I knocked his crew out. :lol:

That was 2 kills that I most certainly shouldn't have achieved.

so um... does anyone know why I don't receive all of the silver lions after a match? Like sometimes I'll earn 20,000 or more, but the total at the top only rises about 4-5k... (I'm talking with those numbers as is...)

edit:
and I'm in the upper level tiers so it can't be that I'm purchasing parts automatically either....

edit 2:
and just in the last game, I was doing just fine connection wise, until six people joined mid-game (odd because I have never yet to do so) and my ping is always at 67. After they joined everyone was jumping... Next game, I registered a ping of 3100. 3100!!!

Is that common for things like that to happen?

Last edited:
Back