Was GT League a necessary addition in this game?

• Thread starter o000o
  • 90 comments
Indonesia
Indonesia
The 'single player campaign' here is already kinda, the Mission Challenges, and many of the players say the online races are just much more exciting and majority of players spend their time on the online. So are those necessary in game like GT Sport or it's practically just Mission Challenges 2.0 at this point? (in which means they should add more in the Mission Challenges instead of GT League). With also GT League being a very outdated concept.

Last edited:
In my opinion, yes. Not everyone wants to race online, relying on their connection, the other drivers' connection, and the servers possibly going down.

I personally really enjoy GT League, as it's a great way to earn credits for those really hard to earn cars, and I feel like Gran Turismo is incomplete without it. 👍

I like the GT League. But the AI, especially in the "Festival Ferrari", presses the throttle too much, then oversteer, try to countersteer, brake, and so on. That's a bit annoying. Further i would wish that there are at least 3 difficult levels.

G.T. Sport is more focused on the online aspect of competitive e-sport racing for consoles and it is doing better and better at this with each update.

With that being said, I feel that the the single player campaign modes are very necessary as @Stephan and @CVPI93 said. Making money is a plus and the various leagues and challenges improve everyone as a whole, as well as future A.I. Difficulty updates. At the same time, it keeps the interest of the players who prefer the classic single player arcade/campaign style that existed before Sport. In my opinion, the only thing that the single player campaign is missing is the "start with $10,000-$20,000 and build up from their" bit that I loved in G.T. I and II. Mr. Yamauchi stated in an interview that this was not important in Sport as Sport is not the classic Gran Turismo. For him, it is the beginning of the second generation of Gran Turismo games.

You gotta love this guy.

GT league is useless as it is, and the arcade mode should not have been called the arcade mode.
PD should have made a campaign that includes
-mandatory driving school and circuit experience
-Challenges
-Customizable league races with possibly of creating custom championships, with BOP etc

The GT league is too hard for those who suck, and to easy for those who don't.

For each race there should be a choice "easy, intermediate, difficult", with credits that reward difficulty levels.

Obviously GT sport was aimed to online only players, but PD realized to late that a big part of their players are too bad, too shy, not interested, or not willing to deal with dirty drivers (...), and therefore not interested in online racing. The GT league is just a bandaid to fix the hemorrhage of offline players.

So yeah the GT league is necessary but also completely useless at the same time.

[im also curious about how PD would have expected the players to get 20M without the GT league, and why did they add cars that you basically can't race ever in the sport mode if their aim was online racing only ?]

@CVPI93: So not everyone wants to race online?

QTip8329Wags: I was only refering to GT League btw, which were late addition. If the A.I is still bad (before A.I difficulty update you say), I don't think it will improve, and A.I can never replicate real players. But Mission Challenges should play similar to GT League right for those classic players (which may be little percentage of GT Sport players). And yes the start with $10K is dropped ofc, because of it being dated now and GT starting in a second generation - being online esports centered game,

What about they only focusing on the online players? Like adding only race-ready cars like at the beginning of game (hence 'SPORT') and focusing on online features to prevent the 'classic' feel derailing the plan of second generation (and make the game feel outdated).

Last edited:
Yes, it puts you into some car/track configurations you may otherwise not have tried, and even provides a couple mixtures of cars you can't (currently) do in custom races (VGTs and Nostalgia Cup). Plus, payouts are much higher than most other modes, and probably most importantly are repeatable.

I'm trying to imagine GTS's economy without GT League and I just don't know how the game would function. The 10+ million cars would be near unattainable.

GT league is useless as it is, and the arcade mode should not have been called the arcade mode.
PD should have made a campaign that includes
-mandatory driving school and circuit experience
-Challenges
-Customizable league races with possibly of creating custom championships, with BOP etc

The GT league is too hard for those who suck, and to easy for those who don't.

For each race there should be a choice "easy, intermediate, difficult", with credits that reward difficulty levels.

Obviously GT sport was aimed to online only players, but PD realized to late that a big part of their players are too bad, too shy, not interested, or not willing to deal with dirty drivers (...), and therefore not interested in online racing. The GT league is just a bandaid to fix the hemorrhage of offline players.

So yeah the GT league is necessary but also completely useless at the same time.

[im also curious about how PD would have expected the players to get 20M without the GT league, and why did they add cars that you basically can't race ever in the sport mode if their aim was online racing only ?]
The campaign you mentioned are already there, although mandatory will turn off players with how many players hate licenses.

GT, iirc, doesn't really care about money so they shouldn't let those old-fashioned players derail their aim in GT Sport...

Yes, it puts you into some car/track configurations you may otherwise not have tried, and even provides a couple mixtures of cars you can't (currently) do in custom races (VGTs and Nostalgia Cup). Plus, payouts are much higher than most other modes, and are repeatable.

I'm trying to imagine GTS's economy without GT League and I just don't know how the game would function. The 10+ million cars would be near unattainable.
Oh...because lastly in PS3 GT, online ones are the one giving big payouts, offline mode being lacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course its not necessary, but its one of my favorite parts of the game. I do enjoy sport mode as well, not a big fan of mission challenges.
Sport Mode should give the most excitement to the point GT League is not needed (and just a waste of space)

I play almost exclusively online and I don't care at all for the single player content on GTS.

That said, i think all racing games (when it comes to single player content) can look up to Real Racing 3 on Android. Game that has all kinds of limitations because of platform it runs on, but absolutely shines with single player content.
All kinds of challenges, series, and most importantly regular new content to keep the game fresh.
For example you have to win a race without any contact or you have damaged steering or something like that. In game currency is very expensive (which sucks) but rewards for completing of series of challenges are substantial.
In that regard GTS looks like a game from 80ties with its single player campaign, but I didn't (and would not to be honest) buy the game for that.
Online racing is implemented superbly in GTS.

I think these statistics are interesting ( https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=sport_play_ratio ) :

Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 22.25.17.png

If I'm reading it correctly, 80% of people who bought the game have never raced online. The League part is very important to most people.
If it didn't have a single player mode, I would never have bought the game.

The way the Mission Challenges, Circuit Experience and Driving School work is fantastic and really help novices.

I miss all the car customisation from previous games, but I still think what PD have now produced is fantastic. The online aspect is also really well done and a huge improvement on what went on before - the memory of which is probably what's keeping 80% of players away!

I do not play online at all because I’m sure I’m not good enough and I don’t have the time to invest to become good enough to compete. GT Sport would be practically useless to me if not for GT League.
Well have you tried ? Beauty of GTS is great matchmaking - it puts you with in a race with similar players

I do not play online at all because I’m sure I’m not good enough and I don’t have the time to invest to become good enough to compete. GT Sport would be practically useless to me if not for GT League.

Well have you tried ? Beauty of GTS is great matchmaking - it puts you with in a race with similar players

Traffic Empire - I wasn't good enough to compete to start with, and am still not. I started with the easier A races (Fiat 500 was my first foray) just to check it out.... started at the back, usually finished at the back, sometimes made place gains when people crashed...... but with the way they group people, and the general improvement from earlier online racing, it's really worth dipping your toes in.

I did my 140th race today according to KudosPrime and was pleased to start 9th in a Gr.3 race and finish 7th. Means I'm now keeping up with the mid-pack after all this time! You may not be "good enough" today, but you will get better. And nobody is there to make fun of us! We all share a common like for this game, and I think most players respect that, whether you're an alien, OK or plain rubbish! Give it a go, you won't regret it.

I play almost exclusively online and I don't care at all for the single player content on GTS.

That said, i think all racing games (when it comes to single player content) can look up to Real Racing 3 on Android. Game that has all kinds of limitations because of platform it runs on, but absolutely shines with single player content.
All kinds of challenges, series, and most importantly regular new content to keep the game fresh.
For example you have to win a race without any contact or you have damaged steering or something like that. In game currency is very expensive (which sucks) but rewards for completing of series of challenges are substantial.
In that regard GTS looks like a game from 80ties with its single player campaign, but I didn't (and would not to be honest) buy the game for that.
Online racing is implemented superbly in GTS.
It's not like GT never implemented that kind of thing. In GT6, there's an Eco Challenge which is similar to fuel-limited race RR3 had in some of free car races. Also 1-Lap Magic of GT4 which has similar cues like Hunter mode in RR3. Many challenges on GT Sport will disqualify you for hitting walls, other cars, or both, but some challenges do not disqualify you for these actions (or give penalty instead), so GT Sport also had similar no-contact winning thing. Top Speed challenge is quite similar to Speed Record of RR3. Autocross is basically majority of License tests. And IMO one of the most unique; the S License Gymkhana of GT4.

I forgot to say this is my first gran turismo game :) to play (pc user until last year).
Probably why I prefer multiplayer.

Last edited:
As there's no choice. There's definetly a market for a more single player oriented GT as the single player GT's vastly outsold Sport.
Zelda, RDR2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, The Witcher 3, God of War, even the next Star Wars game: solo games are now cool again. My main complain about the GT League is the lack of depth. No prize cars, no qualification, no championship...

Yeah, it was.

The many impatient people who play this game whine and whine about dirty experiences they have online so when they don't feel like dealing with that, GT League is something decent to fall back on for some credits.

I don't use it very often though. I enjoy my time racing others and the lazy chase-the-rabbit format with the disingenuous and ridiculous speed boost that the slow A.I. get when you pass them really turns me off from it.

I forgot to say this is my first gran turismo game :) to play (pc user until last year).
Probably why I prefer multiplayer.
Well fair enough... I just don't like people praising RR3's variety of that while ignoring GT ones. They ARE there too, but not placed in main events (mostly in Coffee Breaks), or hating License too much to notice those.

The 'single player campaign' here is already kinda, the Mission Challenges, and many of the players say the online races are just much more exciting and majority of players spend their time on the online. So are those necessary in game like GT Sport or it's practically just Mission Challenges 2.0 at this point? (in which means they should add more in the Mission Challenges instead of GT League). With also GT League being a very outdated concept.
according to statistics 95% have played less than 20 races online, this means online play 5% including me with more than 20 races but only 4 races last 6 months. where did you find that majority spend their time online? since when 5% means majority?

Well fair enough... I just don't like people praising RR3's variety of that while ignoring GT ones. They ARE there too, but not placed in main events (mostly in Coffee Breaks), or hating License too much to notice those.
Regardless - PD can learn thing or two from RR3 team. There are two or three weekly competitions at RR3 always going on, with al kinds of variety. Meanwhile we get Suzuka next week for the umpteenth time.

Back