Was GT League a necessary addition in this game?

• Thread starter o000o
  • 90 comments
It’s true that Sport mode provides superior racing, but the downside is that it costs a lot of time for comparably little racing.

When you’re firing up your PS, you first need to put in a decent qualifying to ensure you’re giving yourself the best chance to protect your ranking, then most of the time you just missed the deadline for a race and you end up waiting a lot. Offline is just click and go. For many people that’s the more appealing game mode most of the time.

I think the reason it wasn’t included from the beginning was that they wanted to force people into Sport mode. In the long run the game always needed a Campaign mode and custom arcade races.

Campaign mode is also nothing like the Mission challenges, because you can choose your car, thereby altering difficulty. I just wish they would include an AI difficulty setting and the possibility to turn off boost.

I do think it was necessary, yes. There are a lot of "traditional" GT fans out there that like the tried and true GT formula. The grindy offline car collector type game, etc. I liked that formula too. I just think GT Sport has sort of moved on from that. IMO some traditional GT fans are missing the fact that GT Sport really is GT7. Meaning GT Sport is the next full-blown GT series game. Sport is not a "spin-off" in the series. It's just that PD completely changed up the formula this time. I've read that some think because Sport didn't follow the same formula as past GT games that it isn't a "proper" GT. I don't see it that way and it seems to me that is not how PD view it. If this was some sort of prologue then they wouldn't be releasing nearly constant DLC and updates, which apparently are not stopping any time soon. I would expect "GT8" to be more of the same formula.....a Sport 2.0 type game with more online things like leagues as well as more traditional single player bits. I think PD like the GT Sport formula. The days of the 1,000 car offline car collecting game are past IMO (though again I do expect they will expand single player offerings next version).

I have to admit, I was skeptical of GT Sport before launch....but the online play really won me over. For me, although I still dabble with the single player, it is fairly boring to play single player after experiencing the competitiveness of clean online racing.

As a longtime GT player, I believe it's necessary. However, it's a far cry from the career modes we've gotten in past GT titles. It doesn't feel as thoughtful as its predecessors.

If you type "@" followed by a username, you get a fully formatted profile link and the user gets a notification - like you will receive a notification for this post.

You can also use the Quote and Reply functions to generate fully formatted quotes of the posts you wish to reply to, which also send notifications to the user - like the quote above, and the notification you'll get.

@Famine thanks for the info, I've tried that now (or it must be completely new reply to have the user be notificated?

@BadFlounder Well, GT Sport is said to be the second generation of GT, and the generation being e-sports racing game, wanting to take places not placed yet by other racings (CaRPG now in Forza Motorsport's hands).

Their aim was that, now PD began to have identity shake again with GT League. As some of the critic said before regarding PD, better focus on 1 thing rather than having more and half-assed, so online that is. It may won't do good if they add more offline for GT8, no?

Personally online or offline I want the huge amount of cars again (And tracks if able), but I think PD have no power to create 1000 of them in Super Premium with their low employee, so it's not that those are of the past, but more of limitation, but it's certain that PD gave/update cars much faster than in PS3 GT era back then now so that may be closer to achieve again. And I want the Gr fictional race cars to be made as the cars' racing modifications.

Last edited:
@Famine thanks for the info, I've tried that now (or it must be completely new reply to have the user be notificated?
Users will be notified of any post in which they are quoted or tagged, unless the quote/tag is edited in afterwards.

@QTip8329Wags : That's kinda the other point of this post too, arguing if next game should bring back focus on single player campaign or not too. Personally in a much superior console it'd be kinda embarassing if can only focus on either one whenever GT5/GT6 was able to do both (although the online isn't as good as GT Sport's obviously).

@Ske : GT League is obviously not fleshed out (no champions, no qualifying, no prize cars, etc.), but I think the interface is not one of those. The interface at least looks just better than GT6's; The Beginner/Amateur/etc. list looks eerily similar to GT3's, with the race menu inside being similar to GT5 one. The cars permitted is also displayed and iirc you can also change your car directly there. And yay the event logo is back!

@QTip8329Wags : That's kinda the other point of this post too, arguing if next game should bring back focus on single player campaign or not too. Personally in a much superior console it'd be kinda embarassing if can only focus on either one whenever GT5/GT6 was able to do both (although the online isn't as good as GT Sport's obviously).

To be fair, a console's power has little impact on the idea that a game could have robust offline and online modes.

I'd say it was necessary. It's hard to think back to the Day One version of GTS: it felt so much smaller and simpler than it does now, but not in a good way. During the review period I essentially completed the game: all that was left was buying some cars to complete the set, and the trophies. I won't argue that Sport Mode is far more entertaining than racing AI, but not everybody wants to play against humans. These are, at the end of the day, games: people play them for a variety of reasons. If someone wants to race against predictable AI and gains enjoyment out of that, who am I to tell them they're wrong?

Adding in GT League addresses the one thing I maintain should always be a priority for developers: options for players. 👍

That said, I think it needs some polishing. There's very little sense of progression: I think prizes need to be a thing, and championship points for the larger series. It still feels tacked on, especially compared to previous titles, which is slightly disappointing after 16 months. Prizes don't even have to be cars, either: they could be certain paint chips, or random ones even.

It's also strange that GT League's payouts are so much better than Sport Mode. It's a mixed message: the game's title, its launch car lineup, its day one focus on online play — all of those seemingly funnel players into multiplayer. But the only way to earn serious coin in a game with a lot of grinding is to use GT League. I'm not suggesting GT League get a prize cut, but Sport Mode should get a boost. Maybe even limited-time events, like a doubled prize amount on a FIA live event weekend to encourage people to visit multiplayer.

It's also strange that GT League's payouts are so much better than Sport Mode. It's a mixed message: the game's title, its launch car lineup, its day one focus on online play — all of those seemingly funnel players into multiplayer. But the only way to earn serious coin in a game with a lot of grinding is to use GT League. I'm not suggesting GT League get a prize cut, but Sport Mode should get a boost.

Let's not forget, ultimately the prizes in Sport mode are somewhat better than in game credits....

Oh I mean from reading some of the comments from users here.

queleuleu: That means....I can hope for next GT title to have an improved version of GT4's campaign mode! Because GT League was added late and wasn't really planned I guess.
No idea but it seems the most plausible option.

It likely boosted sales and brings offline people in to potentially try sport mode. When i bought gt sport i didnt think i would end up doing ranked races 90% of the time. I love it so much ive barely touched gt league.

gt sport honestly got me back into watching racing too. I watched 4 hours of the 12 hours of Bathurst because it became my favourite track after a gr3 weekly. Im also following f1 after not watching since the early 2000s when my dad would have it on.

Now im looking to get a wheel eventually.

Add me watching lots of racing again to GT Sport and 12 hour of Bathurst. Last 20 minutes was bonkers.

Love sport mode even if I suck but first week was spent offline. Can't imagine how poor it must have seemed when it first came out.

I have to say in GT Sport I don't think it was a necessary addition to the game. I almost think the majority of the group N cars are also unnecessary.

What I think is necessary is a separate stand alone game for this Gen or soon in the next, with a more Gran Turismo 4 feel to it.

I say, No...and I'm more of an offline player.

It isn't necessary for THIS game. PD should have figured out how to implement multi-class races(which are actually in GT LEague; there are screen shots of Gr.4 cars in a field of N class cars too), multi-player Time Trials-like a full fledged Northern Isle Speedway stadium TT(wet and dry), allowing more tuning in the N class races(suspension tuning alone, would help players).

So much can be fine tuned as is, without GT League. Just program higher payouts to GT League level. Players using lower class cars to receive bonuses. All those things in GT League can translate to Sport Mode. Imagine all the events in GT League, as Sport Mode events. It'd be similar to the Seasonals.

Think I'll do the Mini Challenge or take my TS050 and do the Maggiore Sprint race or take my Gr.3 RC F and join the Endurance race at Bathurst. What could have been for Sport Mode.

@queleuleu I want the one make race/manufacturer and nationality races to be placed back in where they belong, like in Brand Central for the former and country events for the latter, with completing them gaining some bonus apart from prize (ex: completing manufacturer race gave some discounts for their car, etc.)

I want them to implement motorsport aspects for races like Le Mans, GT3, etc. Take Special Events from GT5 (closest of their take to motorsport) and develop them further + connect them to the mainline events like Le Mans Endurance, etc.

@SlipZtrEm Well, tbf, most of the ones who don't want to play against humans are the one who probably never experienced onlines like that. They can be convinced that onlime racings are much more exciting and some other persuasion to make them try.

@BigJimmy Unfortunately N Cars are still there which have no relation in FIA racing (or cars that aren't part of FIA like Group C). Then again other motorsport-focused game like PCARS have road cars too...

@05XR8 I think that from previous post, many players only play in lobby and not Sport Mode...so would GT game with all cars and tracks available from the start (no need buying again) with only custom lobby online be enough then? (Free recreation of any race against exciting human players)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done about 150 online races. Let's say the average race length is around 20 Km, then distance raced online is around 3,000 Km, or 1,850 miles.
As of this morning I've driven around 22,000 miles according to my GTS profile. If that includes the distance driven online (assuming it does) then that roughly equates to 10% of the distance I've driven was done online.

However, I'm sure there are many on this board where the ratio is the exact opposite!!

As someone said earlier, it's great to have the choice and the online mode is far better than I remember in GT6 (or was it 5??) which was total mayhem. But, I still spend most of my time in GT League (and this week it will be ALL of my time :) )

Let's not forget, ultimately the prizes in Sport mode are somewhat better than in game credits....

....Only for like 0.01% of the players worldwide.

It's like playing Overwatch and expecting to be not only being invited to play with an esports team but also win the league.

Or playing soccer and expecting to be invited by some Champions League teams to play competitively.

Ultimately though I wanted the game to satisfy both offline and online gamers.

I've done about 150 online races. Let's say the average race length is around 20 Km, then distance raced online is around 3,000 Km, or 1,850 miles.
As of this morning I've driven around 22,000 miles according to my GTS profile. If that includes the distance driven online (assuming it does) then that roughly equates to 10% of the distance I've driven was done online.

However, I'm sure there are many on this board where the ratio is the exact opposite!!

As someone said earlier, it's great to have the choice and the online mode is far better than I remember in GT6 (or was it 5??) which was total mayhem. But, I still spend most of my time in GT League (and this week it will be ALL of my time :) )
Online in GT Sport being much better than GT6 (well, quite obvious as online is their aim here)? Then hoping for them to do the same for offline (as they do to online here) for next game...as it's next job after nailing online.

I think GT League would have been necessary but not in this current form. It's a cheap rip-off from past GT mode with a lot of flaws like bad AI, bad Credits/XP rewards and basically no variety. No championships, no time attack, no elimination races, no leaderbords, no cutscenes.

I find it very disappointing and never play it apart from the Blue Moon Bay Circuit Event for grinding.

@SlipZtrEm Well, tbf, most of the ones who don't want to play against humans are the one who probably never experienced onlines like that. They can be convinced that onlime racings are much more exciting and some other persuasion to make them try.

@BigJimmy Unfortunately N Cars are still there which have no relation in FIA racing (or cars that aren't part of FIA like Group C). Then again other motorsport-focused game like PCARS have road cars too...

@05XR8 I think that from previous post, many players only play in lobby and not Sport Mode...so would GT game with all cars and tracks available from the start (no need buying again) with only custom lobby online be enough then? (Free recreation of any race against exciting human players)
There was heated discussion about having all cars and tracks free at the start of a Gran Turtismo game. Majority of the members here, didn't want that. Most couldn't get past the suggestion that such a starting feature would be OPTIONAL.

I was one who didn't buy the game until members here, I trusted, gave unbiased opinions. I didn't like that the game was online save only.
I've since warmed to the online play. What I read about Lobby players is that they all want the proper tools to create the rooms as they see fit. Many tools aren't available to do certain set ups. Making all cars and tracks available won't remedy those concerns.

I think GT League would have been necessary but not in this current form. It's a cheap rip-off from past GT mode with a lot of flaws like bad AI, bad Credits/XP rewards and basically no variety. No championships, no time attack, no elimination races, no leaderbords, no cutscenes.

I find it very disappointing and never play it apart from the Blue Moon Bay Circuit Event for grinding.
Well, aside from championships, weren't past GT Modes have no elimination races, leaderboards (dunno for GT5/GT6) and cutscenes? (Apart from credits after GT World Championship).

People are hating on License too much to notice that the Time Attacks are on the Licenses (specifically the S ones), although it's against the predetermined time. In GT Sport it's in the Circuit Experience and some Driving Missions.

Besides the variety of GT Modes in the past is usually placed outside main event list like in Mission Races and Coffee Breaks (and GT League is GTS' main event list).

Didn't most people here say GT League has better payment than Sport Mode?

Well, aside from championships, weren't past GT Modes have no elimination races, leaderboards (dunno for GT5/GT6) and cutscenes? (Apart from credits after GT World Championship).

People are hating on License too much to notice that the Time Attacks are on the Licenses (specifically the S ones), although it's against the predetermined time. In GT Sport it's in the Circuit Experience and some Driving Missions.

Besides the variety of GT Modes in the past is usually placed outside main event list like in Mission Races and Coffee Breaks (and GT League is GTS' main event list).

Didn't most people here say GT League has better payment than Sport Mode?

Every game should have the goal to improve on something. You are right that some of these things weren't in past GT games but why not improve and add it? GT League has no gameplay advantage over the arcade mode and custom races. Even worse, the AI is a lot worse in GT League.

I have nothing against the day 1 campaign mode. Imo it's far better than what we get with GT League. GT League has so much potential and they are going the lazy route. I don't know any racing game which is as lazy as PD with its GT League. Look at DRIVECLUB. It got new events nearly every month. Ok, they charged a price for it but they had
- championships
- time attack races
- drift races
- new challenges on track
- leaderboards
- unique liveries after completing it

GT League has better payment than Sport mode but it is still far from perfect. If you want to make easy money in a "reasonable" amount of time you have to grind the hell out of one or two events.

I played GT from the first title. But now that i grow older and have less time, i prefer the online mode, not so much the sport but lobbys. I do not have time to grind money to drive cars of my dreams.

Kaz said that GT sport is a new beggining and a shift, and with that in mind they should have gave the game without the need to buy the cars like in so many sims. You buy the game you have the cars, and looking at the launch without the GT LEague, this is exactly what they should have done. Even with it i will never have the time to grind 20milion to be able to drive some of my dream cars. Although i loved the "A-spec" side of the old games.

Moving foward i think the game should have a career mode, like all the A-Spec, but have the online mode with all cars unlocked. But i know this is just daydreaming but well cant hurt.

Edit: Thinking about it after the perfect GT7 would be:

- A-Spec: starting with 10k and going up with all the licenses and challenges missions
- Arcade: all cars unlocked (time trial, race ai, local multiplayer)
- Sport mode: the continuation of what we have in gts with more race options and only carreer cars avaiable
- Lobbys: all cars unlocked

I feel like online play is too competitive (naturally) and not great if you just want to have fun. I am not the best racer, and I drive automatic transmission in the game only, and going online would just humiliate me which to be honest is why I am frit to death of it. I am glad we have the GT league, I just wish it was more in depth.

In theory, DR should group you with players around your skill level. So whether you use AT or MT shouldn't make a difference. I used AT for the first couple years until I switched and was plenty competitive with it. (But it is much nicer to be in control of when the car shifts)

However statistically, when DR actually works, you can only expect to have a shot at winning 1 out 16 races on average.

Ideally off line racing also gives you that kind of win ratio. Problem is, over many years racing games have eroded to you have to win every race to advance or anything less than first is bad. The good old days where it took weeks to get past a race to unlock the next track.

I wouldnt put Gran Turismo up against the more hardcore stuff like PCR or Assetto but it seems the competition at the GT level seems to have the same issue with single player... it seems hard to make a single player campaign that is truly challenging for everyone.

PD has it a bit easier as their fan base would just like them to rehash the same structures in GT4/5/6 to certain degrees and yet they still failed with GT Leagues.

Back