Was GT League a necessary addition in this game?

• Thread starter o000o
  • 90 comments
according to statistics 95% have played less than 20 races online, this means online play 5% including me with more than 20 races but only 4 races last 6 months. where did you find that majority spend their time online? since when 5% means majority?
Oh I mean from reading some of the comments from users here.

queleuleu: That means....I can hope for next GT title to have an improved version of GT4's campaign mode! Because GT League was added late and wasn't really planned I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 1025 GT league wins , so , yes , 100% needed.
It has it's good and bad aspect's about it but overall it works and is always expanding which is a good thing.
I like to make good use of my log in time for the most part.
I average 247 kms per log in and make 700,000 credits per log in and have fun doing it.
The online racing doesn't really appeal to me and looking at the numbers alot of other people as well.
Just gotta do what keeps you interested in playing the game.:cheers:

I have done nearly a thousand GT League races and not one Sport race, yes it is necessary and made this an alright GT as opposed to a failure in my mind. I thought last time there was a statistic on who played this game online most still did not?

In order to get reasonable amounts of prize money and provide a platform to actually use more than half of the cars in the game? Yes.

In an online focused game where constant online multiplayer competition against people of comparable skill has shown up offline single player Gran Turismo for the processional display of technological showing off it is? Absolutely not, and anyone arguing otherwise is only doing so out of loyalty to a franchise which isn't going to give them the game they want any time soon.

Its absolutely necessary and more people play single player than they do Sport Mode.

It definitely needs overhauling because it was an afterthought and rushed into the game due to so many people not buying GTS unless it had some type of structured Single Player Mode.
With that being said for all those who say GT League is to easy (for the most part they are right) you can still come up with all kinds of neat way to make it very challenging & fun if you really wanted.

I just cracked 1000 races in GT league and I've found so many different ways to keep it challenging. I also stopped playing Sport Mode along while back because of dirty drivers. However I do play online in the lobby section the most to avoid the dirty drivers and that has lead to some of the best racing found in this game for me.

I think these statistics are interesting ( https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=sport_play_ratio ) :

View attachment 814339

If I'm reading it correctly, 80% of people who bought the game have never raced online. The League part is very important to most people.
If it didn't have a single player mode, I would never have bought the game.

The way the Mission Challenges, Circuit Experience and Driving School work is fantastic and really help novices.

I miss all the car customisation from previous games, but I still think what PD have now produced is fantastic. The online aspect is also really well done and a huge improvement on what went on before - the memory of which is probably what's keeping 80% of players away!
I hope Gran Turismo has these statistics so they realise just how badly Sport Mode flopped... And that more effort should be placed on career mode for the next game, instead of a makeshift one which isn't well thought out.

If you don't get it then :banghead:
Oh so you're saying that they do have the statistics... But Kaz hasn't declared that Sport Mode was a flop so I was confused as to what you were saying.

I hope Gran Turismo has these statistics so they realise just how badly Sport Mode flopped... And that more effort should be placed on career mode for the next game, instead of a makeshift one which isn't well thought out.

Less than half of PS4 owners subscribe to PS+. You’ve got to assume straight away a huge amount of GT Sport owners couldn’t play Sport Mode even if they wanted to, for this reason. Maybe even half of them.

So that means you actually have a healthy split of people who play online, can’t play online, and choose not to.

Also, ‘flop’ is totally relative in this case. GT Sport outselling GT6 is a fantastic statistic. GT Sport made a ton of money and Sport Mode is the vehicle that brings Gran Turismo into Esports and it was executed extremely well. These blanket trophy stats always paint a grim picture of games. Something like 20%-odd people have even completed GTAV story mode, and that’s the best selling game of all time.

Anyway, I’m acutely aware of the fact that Sport Mode isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, yourself included. But you’re pretty much blindly poo-pooing the game for unsubstantiated reasons.

I have over 100 online Sport Mode wins and it’s provided some of the best racing I’ve ever experienced. But it’s time consuming, stressful, and you need to be on top of your game.

This week I couldn’t be bothered racing online and just set a few qualifying laps. Spent my time playing through this months single-player events at my own leisure. AI is often not upto much (although I do feel PD have quickened them up). But you can create your own challenge by choosing a lesser car. It’s also good to race stuff that doesn’t crop up in Daily Races.

The Super Formula series is just four races long. AI is decent but you can hit the front of the field at Suzuka by lap three. I’d love it if PD gave us 8-10 events and made it a real Championship. Then let us progress onto a season 2 with tougher AI. That would be 400% more single-player content for little effort on PD’s part. Such a Championship would also be a nice credit earner.

So come on PD. Bolster the GT League events and give us tougher AI.

I have over 100 online Sport Mode wins and it’s provided some of the best racing I’ve ever experienced. But it’s time consuming, stressful, and you need to be on top of your game.

This week I couldn’t be bothered racing online and just set a few qualifying laps. Spent my time playing through this months single-player events at my own leisure. AI is often not upto much (although I do feel PD have quickened them up). But you can create your own challenge by choosing a lesser car. It’s also good to race stuff that doesn’t crop up in Daily Races.

The Super Formula series is just four races long. AI is decent but you can hit the front of the field at Suzuka by lap three. I’d love it if PD gave us 8-10 events and made it a real Championship. Then let us progress onto a season 2 with tougher AI. That would be 400% more single-player content for little effort on PD’s part. Such a Championship would also be a nice credit earner.

So come on PD. Bolster the GT League events and give us tougher AI.
I would prefer that PD planned to nail the offline in the next installment, just like they nailed the online on GT Sport.

Its absolutely necessary and more people play single player than they do Sport Mode.

It definitely needs overhauling because it was an afterthought and rushed into the game due to so many people not buying GTS unless it had some type of structured Single Player Mode.
With that being said for all those who say GT League is to easy (for the most part they are right) you can still come up with all kinds of neat way to make it very challenging & fun if you really wanted.

I just cracked 1000 races in GT league and I've found so many different ways to keep it challenging. I also stopped playing Sport Mode along while back because of dirty drivers. However I do play online in the lobby section the most to avoid the dirty drivers and that has lead to some of the best racing found in this game for me.

This man, @Rinsky has some very clean and competitive Gr. 4 races in the online lobbies.

But G.T. Sport is for online eSports racing, not single player campaign. Kazunori has stated this in an interview while also saying that Sport will take a lot of heat for not focusing on single player but that's the point in a way.

Sport will help improve physics models by pulling out the best of the best and using the sim data to improve A.I. and games physics. Toyota is doing this with the Supra RZ Cup starting later this month. All of these improvements will be thrown in our faces once Gran Turismo 7 is released which will focus more on single player campaigns while factoring in all of the online improvements, physics, tire models and BoP. Leagues and Challenges are extremely necessary for all these reasons and many more listed in this thread.

Gran Turismo 7 will be all the better for this game, Sport, being the starting point for the second generation that started after G.T. 1-6.

Sport mode credit payouts are trash, so yeah. It's at least a way to grind credits and lots of people don't like playing online.

What people forget is that all the stats are for Sport Mode, not online in general. Yes. 95% of players have done less than 20 Sport Mode races, but there’s no stats listing lobby usage. Personally the vast majority of people I race in leagues in lobbies have done less than 10 Sport Mode races. So really there’s no way of knowing how many people play online, a huge number of people don’t like being matched against random strangers and only will race against their friends or people they know from GTP.

Personally I stopped doing “daily” races when they stopped being daily because most of the combos are extremely boring and repetitive. I just do FIA races, or sometimes enter the rare “daily” I know I’m good at to try and pad my win total (been struggling forever to get to the 91 wins, stuck at 86 for a while).

But yes, GT League is absolutely necessary. It’s poorly/half assedly executed, but at least it’s there. More options in any game are always better.

With the amount of people who've never done a sport race, I have to wonder what GTS would be like if they hadn't added the career stuff. It was supposed to focus on online racing and if that was still the only option, we'd have probably seen more online players and the daily race schedules might have had a little more effort put into them.

I don't mind career mode as a means to an end but it seems to have inadvertently diluted GTS's long term goals.

If GT League is a necessary addition to the game? Yes. Mostly for the people who don't like playing online. Personally I am from the online races but sometimes I do some GT League to make some extra money end get some mileages, but besides this there is no reason for me. It would be allot more attracting if they had like a career mode where you start with karts and build up to endurace racing.

This man, @Rinsky has some very clean and competitive Gr. 4 races in the online lobbies.

But G.T. Sport is for online eSports racing, not single player campaign. Kazunori has stated this in an interview while also saying that Sport will take a lot of heat for not focusing on single player but that's the point in a way.

Sport will help improve physics models by pulling out the best of the best and using the sim data to improve A.I. and games physics. Toyota is doing this with the Supra RZ Cup starting later this month. All of these improvements will be thrown in our faces once Gran Turismo 7 is released which will focus more on single player campaigns while factoring in all of the online improvements, physics, tire models and BoP. Leagues and Challenges are extremely necessary for all these reasons and many more listed in this thread.

Gran Turismo 7 will be all the better for this game, Sport, being the starting point for the second generation that started after G.T. 1-6.
The question is are you sure that GT7 or whatever next GT is, gonna focus more on single player campaign again? I interpret the 'second generation' as GT ditching offline and now only go for esports online (like for PUBG, etc.), to put GT in a different place - which is online racing, with Forza Motorsport now taking the CaRPG place and Project Cars taking best track and career system.

If what you say is true then....then GT Sport is like glorified prologue (of GT's system in next-gen console) like many claims, although PD considers GT Sport to take place in mainline GT games and may be the "GT7" right now.

If GT7/whatever next GT is going back to the roots with additional Sport's online, then they shouldn't prematurely do it with unplanned GT League on Sport, Challenges are necessary though for improving driving skills. Though I wish for both of them to coexist in GT (although many may say, just focus on one) with now focusing on improving offline part as they've done it with online, but I think it's unlikely for 'second generation'.

I have a theory about what happened.

Back around about Xmas 2017 PD was getting first feedback of the release of GT Sport.

I would imagine at this time the GT Leagues were coming but I feel like their timetable was more like say early to mid 2018.

PD got backlash from people expecting some semblence of a tradition Gran Turismo title. They would have been getting returns from EB Gamestop GAME etc.

So they tacked on a GT Leagues mode post haste just to throw something to the traditionalists who wanted a single player campaign like the previous six titles. I say "traditionals" but really.. its just normal Gran Turismo player who has history from a few console generations back.

I would be on PD's side if they specifically state that this was an online ONLY title and caveat emptor however PD wanted to straddle both horses so this is what we got.

I have no idea on what to say about their economy model... $60,000 for a Sport win... $375,000 max for a Leagues win... $20 mil. cars?

It dont add up, literally.

It's the only single player game mode where you can earn credits after already completing the event. It's unique from Arcade Mode and Custom Race mode as it has themed events that Custom Race cannot reproduce. It doesn't give prizes for completing events unlike past games, but what ends up happening is players develop emergent gameplay incentives. They'll keep innovating ways to keep playing GT League with their own goals.
  • Going for a clean race bonus.
  • Finding the best car to attain the maximum handicap bonus achievable in the event (this is my favourite emergent activity in GT League).
  • Tuning up a car to be competitive in events it is capable of entering but would struggle in stock performance, like Premium Sports Lounge.
  • Attempting to over-lap every opponent car in a race with an overpowered car.
  • Ramming all the AI opponents off for the fun of it.
  • Repeating your favourite race events because it's a great combo of your personal favourite event and circuit.
I only return to Mission Challenges for their special events (Northern Isle Festival, Time Rally, seeing fireworks, the famous 30 car multi-class endurance race), and not getting rewarded for it after getting gold feels terrible, like I was wasting time. There is incentive to time attack players aiming for Top 10 records, but it's not everyone's ability to look past this.

I don't stick to Sport Mode every so often as much as I want to. I enjoy competitive racing in the Daily races and would love to give time to FIA events, but I never found the time for it. What I do find the time and patience for is enjoying the driving feel of GT Sport, and it is good enough for me to stick to playing this game and playing GT League.

The 'single player campaign' here is already kinda, the Mission Challenges, and many of the players say the online races are just much more exciting and majority of players spend their time on the online. So are those necessary in game like GT Sport or it's practically just Mission Challenges 2.0 at this point? (in which means they should add more in the Mission Challenges instead of GT League). With also GT League being a very outdated concept.

I prefer the offline content over the online content. I am happy the campaign is there but it could use some improvements. For example show me how much I already have completed in every section without needing to deep dive into every sub section. Adding the podium sequences, like in the online races and give away price cars! Also the missions and driving school could use more events. The heavily underused drift section should also be mixed up there. PD needs to make a good mix and I would love to see the campaign, missions and driving school expanding over the months to come.

This applies to many genres of games such fighting games.
While online/human interaction offers a wide different experience, they shouldn't disregard more option for offline.

GT League sort of helps but it's still half baked compared to older games. No championship, bare weak challenges and so on.

I do appreciate we are getting many kind of races (i wish there was a Professional Gr.3/Gr.4 cup though)

I can't be 100% sure of anything but from all the interviews I watched from the E3 teaser all the way to release, Sport is the next step due to console capability. In the next game, be it 7 or 8 or Sport Turbo or whatever, we are already being told about ray tracing and how much more physics coding that can be active due to better graphic support. I think the next game will be 60% offline and 40% online focused. Instead of forcing the use of "Online Save" in some cases, the game should favor both types of enthusiasts but this is way off topic.

The Leagues and Challenges are necessary in my opinion. :cheers:

It likely boosted sales and brings offline people in to potentially try sport mode. When i bought gt sport i didnt think i would end up doing ranked races 90% of the time. I love it so much ive barely touched gt league.

gt sport honestly got me back into watching racing too. I watched 4 hours of the 12 hours of Bathurst because it became my favourite track after a gr3 weekly. Im also following f1 after not watching since the early 2000s when my dad would have it on.

Now im looking to get a wheel eventually.

GT League is the sole reason I bought GTS - if anything I'd like it to be more fleshed out (the interface is a bit half-done at the moment).
I like that they've added the Sport aspect, but it shouldn't have been the sole purpose of a game wearing the GT brand (and it probably didn't require a whole lot of development resources either).

I'm no marketing expert, but as the series has followed the same formula for over 20 years, a sudden shift in focus could be diluting the name and confusing customers (like me). I know it's not a "numbered series" game, but a GT game with no "career mode" feels both wrong and empty to me.

Back