We are very hard on PoDi

• Thread starter Zlork
  • 236 comments
....you have made a rather serious accusation about moderation standards.

Please either back it up (via PM to Jordan and/or Famine) or retract it, and be sure that is your next post or PM here at GT Planet, as simply avoiding the issue in this case will not be acceptable.

Lines exist and accusing the staff of abusing the AUP to suit their own purposes is a serious one to cross.
Well then I retract from my posted opinion, this section is perfectly balanced regarding the moderation and there is no personal influence in the active-mods* decissions. I was wrong to think like that, my bad and sorry for it.

*active-mods = user participative mods in this forum section.

Anyway I would love to see Jordan and Famine posting regularly here. :)

Zer0
Well then I retract from my posted opinion, this section is perfectly balanced regarding the moderation and there is no personal influence in the active-mods* decissions. I was wrong to think like that, my bad and sorry for it.

*active-mods = user participative mods in this forum section.

I have crazy respect for you, my good sir 👍

I'd love to, only I'm too busy preparing for yet another Gran Turismo LAN I have to drive 500 miles to attend. With the 400 miles I drove last month to play GT6 alongside Vitantonio Liuzzi (literally - and I think Stefan Johansson was over to my left somewhere. I love that guy), I'm sure racking up the anti-GT mileage.

Actually, there's a mild fib there. I wouldn't love to. Generally every time I visit the GT6 forum I have to delete something or lock something - if it's not kitchen spammers it's general dumbery. I spend most of my time on GTP either locking or deleting things, or writing stuff for the blog and, since I'm more interested in GT6 than I am the hype and speculation around it, I tend not to spend my posting time in the GT sections.

I'd love to, only I'm too busy preparing for yet another Gran Turismo LAN I have to drive 500 miles to attend. With the 400 miles I drove last month to play GT6 alongside Vitantonio Liuzzi (literally - and I think Stefan Johansson was over to my left somewhere. I love that guy), I'm sure racking up the anti-GT mileage.

Actually, there's a mild fib there. I wouldn't love to. Generally every time I visit the GT6 forum I have to delete something or lock something - if it's not kitchen spammers it's general dumbery. I spend most of my time on GTP either locking or deleting things, or writing stuff for the blog and, since I'm more interested in GT6 than I am the hype and speculation around it, I tend not to spend my posting time in the GT sections.
Don't know if you have seen this yet (Link), very positive comments made by Stefan regarding drivers in GT Academy. Maybe you can give him some blog love ;).

My ethos exactly 👍.

Presumptions and assumptions should be taken with a whole lot of salt. I also think some members like the look of their own text.

GTA V is out there and people still have time to moan about an unreleased game, a game that is slowly merging with real life car and parts manufacturers more than it ever has.

Go and shoot some people in LS a vent some of that pent up rage and angst.

Opposing views are all well and good but, when the evidence isn't holistically there, they mean nothing.

You do realize your position is the exact same as those with "opposing views"?

You claim their position isn't backed up by evidence that's "holistically" there ie. GT6 not being out yet.

Wouldn't that imply you're basing your positive view off evidence that isn't "holistically" there? Just because your presumptions and assumptions are positive doesn't preclude them from the need to be backed up by evidence that's "holistically" there.

So, in summation, your view means nothing.

^^^
Lay off the Fosters mate and stop trying to be smart, it doesn't suit you.

This kind of argumentative posting is a pefect example of the pointless negativity that surrounds a lot of threads here.

Quoting and repeating words I used and trying to use them against me just makes you come across as someone spoiling for a fight. Its not my fault your glass is constantly half empty.

Last edited:
Don't know if you have seen this yet (Link), very positive comments made by Stefan regarding drivers in GT Academy. Maybe you can give him some blog love ;).

From the link:

SJ – It was very interesting. It’s all done over the course of a week. There’s filming every day and each day one of the contestants gets knocked out. It’s the usual reality show format. It’s all very compressed when you do the filming as all of these things are.

Before you get to the finals there are something like 800,000 people who compete online, playing the Gran Turismo racing game on Sony PlayStation to earn a chance to go to the GT Academy.

It’s astonishing to me that nearly every one of the kids who made it to the Academy had never driven anything competitive. Some of them had hardly driven a car period. Most of the kids are 18 or 19 years old. But what they’ve learned on the gaming platform translates incredibly well to real cars. That blew my mind. The car control these kids have is incredible. I think the game is actually much more delicate than the real cars so their hand-foot coordination is amazing. The Swedish kid who won our country section – I’ve never seen anyone with car control like this guy has.

On the first day of the contest, the first thing we did was a stock car race on some little banger track outside Silverstone. The Swedish kid was so young he’d never even driven his mom’s road car. He got in this stock car and went from last to first in his first heat ever in a car of any form! The kid was just balancing the car right on the edge between understeer, oversteer and adhesion, never going off-line too far, always hanging on the edge of grip. It was amazing.

He’s got a natural talent obviously but what’s cool is that the game is somehow able to extract that. Imagine, without the game he would probably have never even known he had a talent. Normally a kid would have to go karting and by the time he was 12 his Dad’s spent every penny he ever earned just helping his son get to the next level in karting. Here, the kids are basically doing the same thing on PlayStation and it works! I was massively impressed by how good the kids were – all of them.

The competition is interesting from the judges point of view too because I think it was up to us to really get to the core of these guys’ potential. It didn’t just come down to driving the car. It was their attitude. You could tell how hungry they were and if they had a fire in their belly to compete. I think the guys that got to the finals were pretty damn good.

Credit where credit is due to PD and Kaz. That's high praise indeed from Stefan:tup:👍

Quoting and repeating words I used and trying to use them against me just makes you come across as someone spoiling for a fight.

Oh no! Not a logical comparison between what you accused of others and what you said yourself! What a sillypants.

The cute dig you threw in also just makes you come across as someone attempting to get out of actually responding to what he said. In fact, sometimes I wonder how much of the "pointless negativity" actually exists compared to the amount of people who complain about it.

Its not my fault your glass is constantly half empty.

I suppose it's also not your fault that you didn't bother saying anything to do with his point.

Last edited:
^^^
Lay off the Fosters mate and stop trying to be smart, it doesn't suit you.

This kind of argumentative posting is a pefect example of the pointless negativity that surrounds a lot of threads here.

Quoting and repeating words I used and trying to use them against me just makes you come across as someone spoiling for a fight. Its not my fault your glass is constantly half empty.

You are the one that went accusing other users, he simply used your own logic to point out the flaw in your argument. I don't see how that can come across as trying to be smart or looking for a fight.

From the link:

SJ – It was very interesting. It’s all done over the course of a week. There’s filming every day and each day one of the contestants gets knocked out. It’s the usual reality show format. It’s all very compressed when you do the filming as all of these things are.

Before you get to the finals there are something like 800,000 people who compete online, playing the Gran Turismo racing game on Sony PlayStation to earn a chance to go to the GT Academy.

It’s astonishing to me that nearly every one of the kids who made it to the Academy had never driven anything competitive. Some of them had hardly driven a car period. Most of the kids are 18 or 19 years old. But what they’ve learned on the gaming platform translates incredibly well to real cars. That blew my mind. The car control these kids have is incredible. I think the game is actually much more delicate than the real cars so their hand-foot coordination is amazing. The Swedish kid who won our country section – I’ve never seen anyone with car control like this guy has.

On the first day of the contest, the first thing we did was a stock car race on some little banger track outside Silverstone. The Swedish kid was so young he’d never even driven his mom’s road car. He got in this stock car and went from last to first in his first heat ever in a car of any form! The kid was just balancing the car right on the edge between understeer, oversteer and adhesion, never going off-line too far, always hanging on the edge of grip. It was amazing.

He’s got a natural talent obviously but what’s cool is that the game is somehow able to extract that. Imagine, without the game he would probably have never even known he had a talent. Normally a kid would have to go karting and by the time he was 12 his Dad’s spent every penny he ever earned just helping his son get to the next level in karting. Here, the kids are basically doing the same thing on PlayStation and it works! I was massively impressed by how good the kids were – all of them.

The competition is interesting from the judges point of view too because I think it was up to us to really get to the core of these guys’ potential. It didn’t just come down to driving the car. It was their attitude. You could tell how hungry they were and if they had a fire in their belly to compete. I think the guys that got to the finals were pretty damn good.

Credit where credit is due to PD and Kaz. That's high praise indeed from Stefan:tup:👍

Finally some good things :)

I love this thread because not only are people hard on PoDi but, everyone is fighting with one another it's amazing. I just want ring a bell and have you guys go to your corner. Round one down drink water.

Well... ;)

This is why I'm both very positive and rather rebellious, because I contend that if a site is dedicated to a certain something, then that site should be a place in which that certain something is cast in a positive light. That members can count on like minded folk who want to celebrate that something, in a community that's encouraging about that something. That posts in the forum are about cool things about that something. Especially when a new version of that something is very near to release.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I'd rather be that kind of stupid than the dour pessimistic grinches who get cranky when that something which is celebrated and spoken of positively is Gran Turismo. On a Gran Turismo board no less.

Pupik poo-poos remarks that people are finding this place too hostile to even be around. Frankly, if I ran the board I'd want to know why. Why is it just fine that people are put in the position to defend themselves and the game they like all the time, especially when many of the attacks aren't, as gtracedriver1 posts, objective? Accurate? Balanced? Something is very wrong here.
Utter and complete nonsense.

...You may want a forum in which only the positive can be discussed, or in which a shining light must be presented and any criticism (constructive or otherwise) is censored or shunned, that however is not (nor has ever been) GT Planet.
I had a feeling you'd take that tact, and I must admit it did come across like that. But if you've missed ALL those times in which I've said, "Criticize away," you're skimming my posts way too much and judging them unfairly.

But let's take that another way. Let's say that a site is dedicated to a certain something, and that site was a place in which that certain something is cast in a negative light. That members can count on like minded folk who want to denigrate that something, in a community that's discouraging about that something. That posts in the forum are about how that something sucks in just about every way possible. Especially when a new version of that something is very near to release.

Does this make sense at all to you? I mean, if positive and negative is relative and all that? But this is what it seems like quite a bit around here. And some of the staff don't seem to mind.

And let's say that any discussion about issues with that something game were forbidden to involve technical details about the ONLY COMPARABLE GAME, and the only others that could are only alike in having race cars or a handful of street cars in them. Which leaves everyone who wants to make some sort of positive stand only able to do so if they are technically familiar in whatever the subject is, or left with, "Well... I think it will be fine... uhh... I have faith and stuff." I'm sure that will make for a festive board experience and lively debate. :P

The real contributors and critics aren't the DAMN IT TO HELL types, but the ones who have points to make that anyone would want to read. Those posts aren't so easy to find anymore.
The real contributors to the site are not the ones who are critical? Utter and complete 🤬
Once again, you're reading way too much into that. In fact, you're not really reading it as much as reinterpreting it. Let me rephrase it so that it means what I meant it to without doubt, though I sincerely doubt the proper "translation" has escaped you.

The real contributors and critics aren't the DAMN IT TO HELL types, but the ones who have (edit) observations and criticism to make that anyone would want to read. Those posts aren't so easy to find anymore.
I trust this is plain enough now.

Nor is it a dictatorship in which only those who are in praise of the ruling party (PD) and its policies (GT titles) are allowed to take part and anyone who is critical is silenced.
You're confusing this section with the Forza boards...

Now, seeing as you insist that the mods and admins are all just as even handed and above reproach as Mother Theresa, I have a bone of contention to pick on that point which involves me. From this post of yours:

....you have made a rather serious accusation about moderation standards.

Please either back it up (via PM to Jordan and/or Famine) or retract it, and be sure that is your next post or PM here at GT Planet, as simply avoiding the issue in this case will not be acceptable.

Lines exist and accusing the staff of abusing the AUP to suit their own purposes is a serious one to cross.
I'm not sure if you're saying posting it in the open is acceptable or not, so I'll go ahead and PM it to Famine and keep it in the arena in which will cause the least trouble.

In any case, maybe I'll just try something. I won't post squat in here for the rest of the week. I'll just ignore all the criticism, and people can have at it without me reporting all their posts and dictating what can be allowed in here, seeing as I'm such a dictator and all that - sure, whatever. Maybe everyone who has good feelings about Gran Turismo, Polyphony and Kaz could take a break, and the critics can have free reign. And then we can watch and see how awesome the mood is in here, and how vigorous the debate is, and how many people want to join into the festivities when all these wet blankets aren't around to spoil the fun. ;)

Last edited:
If you guys are going to continue personal attacks and quote-by-quote retorts, perhaps you should move it to private messages.

Finally some good things :)

You can't argue with real world results. The fact is and it's undeniable, at this point it seems the GT series is an incredible training ground for racing talent. One need only look at the race results of Ordonez, Mardenborugh, Heitkotter, Doherty and company to know that these guys have some serious talent, and that the game is more than capable of identifying that talent and it's translatable to the real world. If you had said 10 years ago such a thing was possible you would have been laughed right out of the racing world!!

To further add to this:

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/alex-buncombe-shows-why-nissan-academy-drivers-were-ban-470803884

"It’s hard to imagine a racecar driver being too fast, but that’s exactly the problem graduates of Nissan and Sony’s GT Academy are having. Graduates of the program, which puts Gran Turismo players in actual racecars, were deemed too fast for the British GT Championship.
According to GT Planet, GT Academy graduates will not be allowed to compete in the 2013 British GT Championship. Why? Because their skills have leapfrogged the series’ class rules.
Last year, GT Academy alum Jann Mardenborough, teamed with professional racer Alex Buncombe, was, to say the least, competitive in British GT’s Pro Am class. Driving a Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3, the duo nearly won the class outright.
That’s what rankled British GT officials. The Pro Am class is meant for “gentleman drivers” (in other words, amateurs) who aren’t supposed to be faster than the professional racers in the other classes.
Mardenborough isn’t a professional driver, but he was keeping up with the pros. His GT-R was saddled with a time penalty at every race to keep it from overtaking the supposedly faster cars.
That disparity between the GT Academy drivers’ pro-level skills and amateur status is what led the British GT Championship to deny four new applicants from the program entrance into the 2013 series.
"

If you cannot use my own words, which you quoted earlier, to prove your point, then withdraw your statements as they are untrue.
Well... I know I'm tired, but looking at your post a few times, I have no clue what your point is, what Kaz might or might not be lying about or anything. So, never mind. I'm done discussing sounds or anything else for a while. I'm gonna look for cool posts to read, poke at GT6 news and mostly have fun writing fiction, not essays here.

If you guys are going to continue personal attacks and quote-by-quote retorts, perhaps you should move it to private messages.
Yeah, that's true. I think I've had my say anyhow. Time to drop out of silly board politics for a while and enjoy myself.

Have fun being positive, GT Planet... ;)

Well... I know I'm tired, but looking at your post a few times, I have no clue what your point is, what Kaz might or might not be lying about or anything. So, never mind. I'm done discussing sounds or anything else for a while. I'm gonna look for cool posts to read, poke at GT6 news and mostly have fun writing fiction, not essays here.

Yeah, that's true. I think I've had my say anyhow. Time to drop out of silly board politics for a while and enjoy myself.

Have fun being positive, GT Planet... ;)

I thought that's what you were doing here:sly:

Do you promise?
Sure. :D

I mean, Griff is cracking good at discussing sound reproduction technology, Zoidfile is an excellent guy to read about modeling, some others about A.I., tire physics, game design... the crab apples don't own the place. Thank God.

I had a feeling you'd take that tact, and I must admit it did come across like that. But if you've missed ALL those times in which I've said, "Criticize away," you're skimming my posts way too much and judging them unfairly.
No, I'm reading your posts as they are written, you acknowledge they are written in a manner which is not totally clear and transparent. In which case the issue is with how they are written.

But let's take that another way. Let's say that a site is dedicated to a certain something, and that site was a place in which that certain something is cast in a negative light. That members can count on like minded folk who want to denigrate that something, in a community that's discouraging about that something. That posts in the forum are about how that something sucks in just about every way possible. Especially when a new version of that something is very near to release.

Does this make sense at all to you? I mean, if positive and negative is relative and all that? But this is what it seems like quite a bit around here. And some of the staff don't seem to mind.
It makes perfect sense, you are calling for some form of positive discrimination in regard to posting, which would be utterly against the ethos of the site, impossible to manage without damaging open conversation and is never going to happen.

And let's say that any discussion about issues with that something game were forbidden to involve technical details about the ONLY COMPARABLE GAME, and the only others that could are only alike in having race cars or a handful of street cars in them. Which leaves everyone who wants to make some sort of positive stand only able to do so if they are technically familiar in whatever the subject is, or left with, "Well... I think it will be fine... uhh... I have faith and stuff." I'm sure that will make for a festive board experience and lively debate. :P
No one is forbidden to discuss comparable game(s) (if it is singular or plural is open fro discussion - not dictated by you), you are simply asked to keep it to the dedicated 'vs' thread. The staff do allow so leeway in regard to this, but have chosen to crack down of late given that its simply ends up in an unpleasant flame-battle that takes the threads way of topic, and always seem to be initiated by a small number of people (with the majority of posters asking for the thread to get back on track).

As such its clearly not formbidden at all, you just don't like to keep it to the dedicated threads. Incidedntly nothing at all is stopping you starting a dedicated "GT vs Forza sound" thread (or whatever area you wish to discuss), if the 'right' to direct comparison is so important to you; however you would it seems rather attempt to turn as many threads as you like into war-zones.

Lets take as an example this deleted post......

Good luck to all from here. I'm afraid some won't be doing so well because the sounds are supposed to be so bad.

...in which the comment about sounds was off-topic, not needed and has the appearance of being designed to start a fight. You bemoan negative posting, yet here is an example of something that will almost certainly start a cycle of that. I strongly suggest you sort your own house out before yiou continue to pass judgement on others.

Once again, you're reading way too much into that. In fact, you're not really reading it as much as reinterpreting it. Let me rephrase it so that it means what I meant it to without doubt, though I sincerely doubt the proper "translation" has escaped you.

I trust this is plain enough now.
I read what you write, that you have to re-word it makes the initial issue clear enough, and yes the 'original' translation was not clear, regardless of what you wish to think.

You're confusing this section with the Forza boards...
No I'm not, but its good to see the chip is still in place.

Now, seeing as you insist that the mods and admins are all just as even handed and above reproach as Mother Theresa, I have a bone of contention to pick on that point which involves me. From this post of yours:
Insults to the staff, great to see, we do like them.

I'm not sure if you're saying posting it in the open is acceptable or not, so I'll go ahead and PM it to Famine and keep it in the arena in which will cause the least trouble.

In any case, maybe I'll just try something. I won't post squat in here for the rest of the week. I'll just ignore all the criticism, and people can have at it without me reporting all their posts and dictating what can be allowed in here, seeing as I'm such a dictator and all that - sure, whatever. Maybe everyone who has good feelings about Gran Turismo, Polyphony and Kaz could take a break, and the critics can have free reign. And then we can watch and see how awesome the mood is in here, and how vigorous the debate is, and how many people want to join into the festivities when all these wet blankets aren't around to spoil the fun. ;)
As I was not quoting you I don't see how it involves you at all. If you commenting about moderation action then fell free to contact Famine in regard to it, keep in mind that all moderation action is posted centrally and the staff can see them. As such I doubt any of it will be new to him.

Now in regard to continuing this discussion you can do that via PM, your little tirade has dragged this thread off-topic quite enough, continue to do so and it will result in moderation action and the thread being locked.

Last edited:
Yes. We definitely need more people to lie and exaggerate and twist as many facts as possible, just for the sake of having some positive sentiment (then turn around and accuse everyone else of doing the same thing he himself is constantly guilty of). Even though the positive sentiment is already there from members (such as Griffith500, Amar or another_jackhole) who don't resort to doing that. GTPlanet is sure to be a better place in that case.

I'm not talking about critisizing as a whole, that has definitely a place here. Heck, even I was surprised at how bad a game GT5 actually turned out to be (mind you that I said game, I'm a casual simracer, so I don't look for Rfactor type physics and can't comment on that), but I'm talking about being pessimistic just for the sake of it. An example by Imari about PD turning back A and B spec modes:

''When the positive things are "they're going back to the way things were in 2004", I don't think that's something to jump up and down about.''

Now that's his right to say, and in no way do I imply that it should be censored or anything for that matter. The only thing I wanted to say was that I don't like such an attitude. Like I said, to each their own, but I just don't like it...

By the way, Imari, I have got nothing against you personally, so no hard feelings eh? :)

A forum by definition needs opposing opinions. If everyone was either positive or negative the forum would just be a series of "I do/don't like that" followed by "I agree/+1" ad infinitum. You need disagreement and differing thoughts to stifle discussion and debate.

Regarding the debate on positive versus negative attitude around here and those whore are complaining about the latter - it has to be made clear that a lot of that attitude is in fact that dictated by what PD does, promises and delivers. I'm more than fairly sure that most people here give credit where credit is due, but looking at what the last few weeks has brought us in terms of news, it shouldn't come as a surprise which attitude is ''dominating'' as we speak.

It'll settle down once GT6 is released, or sometime after that. Don't worry.

but I'm talking about being pessimistic just for the sake of it. An example by Imari about PD turning back A and B spec modes:

''When the positive things are "they're going back to the way things were in 2004", I don't think that's something to jump up and down about.''

Now that's his right to say, and in no way do I imply that it should be censored or anything for that matter. The only thing I wanted to say was that I don't like such an attitude. Like I said, to each their own, but I just don't like it...
Although I applauded PD for going back to the old formula as far as A- and B-Spec goes in another thread, he did have a point. On the other ahnd, I do also get why people disliked his comment when for once, PD actually made a rational decision and something that many times have been requested by the community.

Last edited:
Although I applauded PD for going back to the old formula as far as A- and B-Spec goes in another thread, he did have a point. On the other, I do also get why people dislike his comment when for once, PD actually made a rational decision and something that many times have been requested by the community.

It all comes down to perspective, expectations and wishes. For me, I applaud such a decision. I say that from the perspective of a gamer, not a simracer. I loved GT2 and 4 because of their awesome GT-modes, and I know that even though this is in now way an indication that the GT-mode is going to be good, it gives me the hope that PD goes back to what they did best, and for me, that is enough. The rest is icing on the cake for me. I guess I'm an easy sucker...:)

It all comes down to perspective, expectations and wishes. For me, I applaud such a decision. I say that from the perspective of a gamer, not a simracer. I loved GT2 and 4 because of their awesome GT-modes, and I know that even though this is in now way an indication that the GT-mode is going to be good, it gives me the hope that PD goes back to what they did best, and for me, that is enough. The rest is icing on the cake for me. I guess I'm an easy sucker...:)

Most people consider going back 10 years and rehashing something to be going backwards to I understand the negative sentiment around that. It's better than what you had in GT5, but still a far cry from an actual career mode. If you just feel like you are entering a bunch of races as opposed to working your way up through various forms of motorsport to hone your skills and increase the challenges as you progress, then it's just that, a bunch of races.

Back