We Explore the Question: "What Is the Longest Automotive Endurance Race?"

I know the title says automotive, but if you broaden the scope to include all races where humans pilot a machine, then Vendée Globe and the Volvo Ocean Race would be the longest.

I can’t find distances for the latest Vendée, but the 2008-2009 edition was roughly 24,840 miles - but individual competitors go up to several hundred, even a thousand miles longer as they chase and avoid various weather patterns. The latest edition was won in 74 days, non stop.

The 2017-2018 edition of the Volvo Ocean Race was roughly 45,000 nautical miles (51,750 miles). It’s not consecutive, but takes 9 months and visits every continent bar Antarctica. The longest leg is from Auckland New Zealand to Itajaì Brazil at 7500nm. Actual distances covered are higher, again due to weather. In my opinion, this is the most intense and trying race in the entire world, by a massive margin.

I know the title says automotive, but if you broaden the scope to include all races where humans pilot a machine, then Vendée Globe and the Volvo Ocean Race would be the longest.

Yes, but if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Automotive is automotive, at least that's my take on it ;)

Wouldnt it be (or was) the Dakar Rally at 6,200 miles from Paris to Dakar Senegal??

Nope, @Joey D's race (continuous) is longer than that. The story still has the 80 Days race incorrectly stated as being the longest non-continuous race despite being 4000 miles-ish shorter than the 1908 race.

Nope, @Joey D's race (continuous) is longer than that. The story still has the 80 Days race incorrectly stated as being the longest non-continuous race despite being 4000 miles-ish shorter than the 1908 race.

JoeyD?,?? Do you mean the boat race, that's not automotive though.

Back