We need ability to randomly select a car from garage

  • Thread starter Thread starter ACAGT
  • 57 comments
  • 4,049 views
Yes I was doing that in GT2 & GT4 but it was not possible in GT3 & GT4p and its not possible in GT5p. Maybe for you random selecting is pointless but for me its very important and you can all laugh about it if you want.

I´m with you on this. In GT3 I used to just scroll through the list, holding down up/down on the DualShock. The list of cars looped so I just held it for a short time and released, and boom! There was my car for the day :P.

But I'd love a random car selector :sly:
 
Yep, all based on algorithms written by people or computers. Nothing written by a computer is random.
As people seem to like flexing their knowledge muscles (including myself earlier!), let's just bring this down to earth and say that "random" in this context means that the user will not be able to predict what the next car is. Whether it is actually random or not, by accepted definition, is totally irrelevant.
 
As people seem to like flexing their knowledge muscles (including myself earlier!), let's just bring this down to earth and say that "random" in this context means that the user will not be able to predict what the next car is. Whether it is actually random or not, by accepted definition, is totally irrelevant.

I was replying to whatever whoever said about nothing being random when it comes to PC programming.
Wouldn't "random" in the OP's context be the wrong word to use then? The term "unpredictable" would be more fitting than random wouldn't it?
Actually I don't know.
 
Really it doesn't matter. Scientists need strict, rigorous definitions to go about their work. Unfortunately, this has a habit of spoiling certain words for the rest of us. I suppose much like the "youth" and interlopers from other languages :p
 
I was replying to whatever whoever said about nothing being random when it comes to PC programming.
Wouldn't "random" in the OP's context be the wrong word to use then? The term "unpredictable" would be more fitting than random wouldn't it?
Actually I don't know.
I tend to call man-made random sequence based on one or more seeds pseudo-random. The next item in the sequence being, as you say, unpredictable. It may not be truly random, but to all intents and purposes, if the user cannot predict the next in the sequence, it might as well be. For me they are interchangeable, but in context, unpredictable is far better choice because that covers truly random, pseudo-random, not random etc.

Not sure if my definition is totally correct, but I tend to lump random in the same camp as infinity. Both are just theoretical concepts, and just as confusing when you dig deeper!
 
I think random selecting is for people who are too lazy to look for a car to get. I mean you could just look for a car that you havent driven or something cool.
 
I think random selecting is for people who are too lazy to look for a car to get. I mean you could just look for a car that you havent driven or something cool.

I, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, don't have trouble picking a new car to drive other than the few I've driven a whole lot because I'm too lazy, but because of how Gran Turismo works as a game and what it does to you. I stick to the same few cars because through the process of racing for money to buy upgrades, I learn the car's idiosyncrasies, and with each upgrade it gets better and better as I get to know it more and more intimately, and then by adjusting the car's settings, testing them and adjusting them until I get it right, I wind up with a car that I know incredibly well that is also perfectly suited to the way I drive. By having something like a relationship with the car, having it grow along with my understanding of it and then making this car that I know all the ins-and-outs of perfectly suited to me and how I drive, I get attached to it. It makes me less interested in all the other cars, no matter what they are, for one reason: they aren't mine. It is, in a way, like being asked to ditch your best friend so you can go spend time with somebody you just met.
 
Last edited:
I agree that GT5 especially simulation mode should invoke some more Randon features in the game. However this not necessarily mean selecting a random car in your garage. I would like to see features that allow you to quickly find any race that the car you are in can enter. For instance go to your garage, jump in a car. Then go to a race menu and only the races that you can enter with the current car settings are displayed. Also maybe you like a particular track. Go to race menu, pick a track, then all races or race series that use that track are displayed. Then by choosing a particular race or race series you can see all cars that can be entered in that race from your garage menu. In my opinion they need to make choosing a car for a particular race extremly simple and easy for casual players. You should not have to spend time trying to find a car that meets that tracks particular requirements. This would be better for all involved. Features like this would quickly allow players to use a more variety of cars. It would also allow more time for actually racing since much less time would be spent searching for a car. I think this may be possible in GT5 since prologue has cars that do not qualify as grayed out.
 
True random is not going to happen but it would not take a lot of effort for them to use some pseudo-random choice generator.

Seriously I've played tons of SNES and older gen games with similar generators. Every $20 generic MP3 player has them too. It would not delay release by more than about an hour, tops, I imagine :P.

But I'm way more interested in manually selecting what cars I get to race against. I think that's a more relevant feature.
 
Pointless feature There is no "random" in pc programming. It will choose the car based on some variables like time, progress etc.

Wrong....... a few years ago I made a card game for class in C++ and I made it randomly give cards.... know what your talking about before you post

Here its is http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question697.htm and obviously you can assign numbers to things like in this case a specific type of car....
 
Last edited:
Wrong....... a few years ago I made a card game for class in C++ and I made it randomly give cards.... know what your talking about before you post

Here its is http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question697.htm and obviously you can assign numbers to things like in this case a specific type of car....

Woah there kid, what he said is true. The program was written by you, you told the computer what "random" is supposed to mean. One of the meanings of "Random" is not knowing what the next card/number would be, but of course, the computer knows what the next card is. It has a program that tells it how to generate the number. Run the program enough and patterns will emerge. If something is random, it can't have patterns, from what I understand.
 
Woah there kid, what he said is true. The program was written by you, you told the computer what "random" is supposed to mean. One of the meanings of "Random" is not knowing what the next card/number would be, but of course, the computer knows what the next card is. It has a program that tells it how to generate the number. Run the program enough and patterns will emerge. If something is random, it can't have patterns, from what I understand.

like said in the link its impossible to find out the next number unless you know the seed number and the math formula (which varies, there is no one formula)... which of course the end user don't have access too..... so its a true random... not to the computer of course but to the end user yes.... so is it possible for us end users to see a pattern? no..... simple as that
 
I think this has some great potential as a multiplayer online feature where you're given a random car within a certain class, just as every other player. Like some kind of GT Roulette.
 
I think this has some great potential as a multiplayer online feature where you're given a random car within a certain class, just as every other player. Like some kind of GT Roulette.

GT Roulette, thats a good one and an interesting idea. If you feel like something totally random and quick, just throw yourself into the pool and see what you get.
 
Woah there kid, what he said is true. The program was written by you, you told the computer what "random" is supposed to mean. One of the meanings of "Random" is not knowing what the next card/number would be, but of course, the computer knows what the next card is. It has a program that tells it how to generate the number. Run the program enough and patterns will emerge. If something is random, it can't have patterns, from what I understand.

like said in the link its impossible to find out the next number unless you know the seed number and the math formula (which varies, there is no one formula)... which of course the end user don't have access too..... so its a true random... not to the computer of course but to the end user yes.... so is it possible for us end users to see a pattern? no..... simple as that

You are both right. Random is a theoretical concept and largely observational - in this case, "random to the person playing the card game". No, the computer is not outputting truly random sequences, but if it is sufficiently close to the "statistical pattern of randomness", it will effectively appear random to the user.

If the OP wants something truly random, do what I said - write the car names on a piece of paper, put them into a hat, and pick one. The size of one piece of paper and shape of the hat may influence things so they are not truly random, but let's face it...who would notice anyway?! ;)
 
Last edited:
If you want to be truly random let someone else pick the car
 
If you want to be truly random let someone else pick the car
Not sure how having another human being who instinctively conforms to predictabilty and patterns would make it truly random, especially if you knew that person.

As ever though, to all intents and purposes in may well effectively appear random, but appearing random and being random are two entirely different things, although not to the observer...
 
it even tells you how many laps you should do :)
 
I'm amazed at how so many people are unable to think for themselves. They can't load GT5P and set up a race - they have to be told by a "random" generator what to do! :lol:
 
I'm amazed at how so many people are unable to think for themselves. They can't load GT5P and set up a race - they have to be told by a "random" generator what to do! :lol:

I'm sure that they can think for themselves, but that they'd just sometimes like to try out a car that they'd have never thought to drive themselves. 👍

And as for the random generator that even tells you a track... I often found myself doing events in GT4 where at the beginning, I thought to myself "Oh great, that track....", but by the end of the race thinking "WOW THAT TRACK ROCKS! :D". So I suppose that might be why people like having a track picked for them that they might not feel like choosing for themselves.
 
I'm amazed at how so many people are unable to think for themselves. They can't load GT5P and set up a race - they have to be told by a "random" generator what to do! :lol:

I'm sure that they can think for themselves, but that they'd just sometimes like to try out a car that they'd have never thought to drive themselves. 👍

Is this really a problem the game should solve? GT5 will offer at least 950 different cars, and i know i will try every single one at least once and being a carfan i know more or less what each car has to offer and which mindset it requires to appreciate it within their context.
If some people can't seem to bother making different choices or appreciate the less obvious choices by themselves or just simply being lazy isn't that their problem?
GT has always been about making your own decisions and choosing your own path, allowing whatever preferences you might have to explore.
If the majority requests a random car selector, sure put it in for all i care, but i am for sure never going to use it.
 
Is this really a problem the game should solve? GT5 will offer at least 950 different cars, and i know i will try every single one at least once and being a carfan i know more or less what each car has to offer and which mindset it requires to appreciate it within their context.
If some people can't seem to bother making different choices or appreciate the less obvious choices by themselves or just simply being lazy isn't that their problem?
GT has always been about making your own decisions and choosing your own path, allowing whatever preferences you might have to explore.
If the majority requests a random car selector, sure put it in for all i care, but i am for sure never going to use it.

I don't see why not. Adding a "Select Random" button in the garage would take less than 10 minutes. And with so many cars, the cars outside of my favorites would be picked just as arbitrarily as the game picking a random one for me.
 
I don't see why not. Adding a "Select Random" button in the garage would take less than 10 minutes. And with so many cars, the cars outside of my favorites would be picked just as arbitrarily as the game picking a random one for me.

Well if the majority picks up cars arbitrarily and requests therefor a tool to help them make choices, then who am i to say they can't.
However i do not select cars arbitrarily but rather which i'd like to drive and i do really make use of the diversity GT has to offer.
I'm not forgetting how great some humble hatchbacks are to drive just because i've just bought an Enzo, etc.
There's a time and place for all different types of car to enjoy and learn about them, if you need to have some random device to experience diversity instead of handpicking them yourself, well i hope for you it will be included.
 
Ok Guys n' Gals how about this as an idea? Bring back the horsepower limits from GT2, When you select a race, your presented with a list of what cars in your garage are eligable to enter. You also have a random race generator, as also in GT2 when you completed the special licences. This picks a random car from your garage, a random track, and a grid of cars matching level of modification. Having it also select cars of the appropriate era would be a nice bonus, The amount of times I wanted to race a grid of American muscle cars at GVS or Autumn Ring and got my Charger stuck in a field of Evo's and Skylines really Tee'd me off!
 
Ok Guys n' Gals how about this as an idea? Bring back the horsepower limits from GT2, When you select a race, your presented with a list of what cars in your garage are eligable to enter. You also have a random race generator, as also in GT2 when you completed the special licences. This picks a random car from your garage, a random track, and a grid of cars matching level of modification. Having it also select cars of the appropriate era would be a nice bonus, The amount of times I wanted to race a grid of American muscle cars at GVS or Autumn Ring and got my Charger stuck in a field of Evo's and Skylines really Tee'd me off!

GT5P already has this. Each EVENT has either a PP limit, or a list of cars that are eligible for the race, or just a single car that you must use.
 
Back