Wednesday Want: The Big, Bad, and Brutal Buick GNX

What's the purpose of this article?

I explain it in the first paragraph of the article:

In this week’s Wednesday Want we’ve found something truly special in the classified adverts and thought it really deserved some attention. You can check out past Wednesday Want entries right here.

The Wednesday Want is a running column that Famine or I do each week where we either pluck a car from the GT Car Suggestions forum or from a classified ad.

Grew up with a GN in the family(step dad's). Fun car alright, especially after the $15k in mods he had done. Drive to the track run low 10's 1/4mile then drive home.

As much as I loved these cars, this was totally the wrong body to put that drivetrain in. The regal is a brick, damn thing created lift at 130mph. The TransAm was a far better choice later on.

I'd be happy with a GN. Loved the stock wheels.

Anyway, as a side, the way Polyphony Digital are going, could wind up in Gran Turismo Sport.

Not many 80's cars have this much love and respect, and especially an american muscle. The only problem was the same issues with the DMC DeLorean - one single color. Unfortunate really, but the GNX kicks ass in black, it's perhaps the best default color for it.

And the fact it was a rare like the DeLorean, it was one of the few past america cars to hold the heart of the people, and packing a hell of a punch. If you don't have the money for the Porsche or Ferrari, this was an easy alternative - rare, badass, power. Now with so few of these, you need to be lucky tnough to have the dough in the lottery to earn it. But it'll be worth every cent.

Not many 80's cars have this much love and respect, and especially an american muscle. The only problem was the same issues with the DMC DeLorean - one single color. Unfortunate really, but the GNX kicks ass in black, it's perhaps the best default color for it.

And the fact it was a rare like the DeLorean, it was one of the few past america cars to hold the heart of the people, and packing a hell of a punch. If you don't have the money for the Porsche or Ferrari, this was an easy alternative - rare, badass, power. Now with so few of these, you need to be lucky tnough to have the dough in the lottery to earn it. But it'll be worth every cent.

Sure the GN and GNX only came.in black but the Regal T-type came in a few colors.

black ,white ,silver metallic , gray metallic, cream beige and light brown metal.

One of my favourite American cars. Was once my weapon of choice at a UKGTP event too, and was a bit like bringing a rocket launcher to a knife fight.

I dunno, I always thought the GNX looked good in white as well as a sort of '**** you conformity' color. Kind of like any other color that isn't red on a classic Ferrari.

I dunno, I always thought the GNX looked good in white as well as a sort of '**** you conformity' color. Kind of like any other color that isn't red on a classic Ferrari.

Are there any GNX's in white? Given their rare nature, I would assume no one would mess with changing the color on them.

Are there any GNX's in white? Given their rare nature, I would assume no one would mess with changing the color on them.

I painted a GNX white in Midnight Club LA once. :sly:

Though searching 'buick gnx white' on Google does get some hits, most of them seemingly being put on afterwards.

XRAY1.jpg

The "white" GNX pictured is the X-Ray. It was created by Rick Hunt and is a white T-Type with official GNX parts he purchased while working at ASC (The company which turned GN's into GNX's). The 85-87 Regal, Cutlass, and Monte are my top favorite 80's vehicles. In the 90's we had the Syclone & Typhoon (4.3l Turbo trucks).

Turbo Regal: X-Ray

GNX Registry: X-Ray

Though hey, if you still want 80's G-body GM power, and can live without a turbo...can I direct you to it's sister car, the 1985-1987 Oldsmobile 442?

1986_Olds_442.JPG
720,000+1 posts, in this section of gtplanet. Awesome.

I loved the 442. Though it was the weakest in a comparison with the GN, SS & 442. Loved the wheels with pinstripes. A Hurst Olds would be cool with the three shifters.

Just wished the SS had same power as the IROC and Vette.

Though hey, if you still want 80's G-body GM power, and can live without a turbo...can I direct you to it's sister car, the 1985-1987 Oldsmobile 442?

1986_Olds_442.JPG

There’s one of those sitting in my uncles garage, it still has 1992 tags on the license plate (it was stolen at one point and he hasn’t had the money to repair it). :lol:

GNX
The "white" GNX pictured is the X-Ray. It was created by Rick Hunt and is a white T-Type with official GNX parts he purchased while working at ASC (The company which turned GN's into GNX's). The 85-87 Regal, Cutlass, and Monte are my top favorite 80's vehicles. In the 90's we had the Syclone & Typhoon (4.3l Turbo trucks).

Turbo Regal: X-Ray

GNX Registry: X-Ray

Good thing we have a GNX expert in this thread schooling me. :sly:

I painted a GNX white in Midnight Club LA once. :sly:

Though searching 'buick gnx white' on Google does get some hits, most of them seemingly being put on afterwards.

XRAY1.jpg

Literally frothing at the mouth looking at that white GNX. Looks killer in white.

Literally frothing at the mouth looking at that white GNX. Looks killer in white.
Yeah. It does look nice in white. You'll usually see meme's online refering to a black one as "Lord Vaders" ride (A reference to a magazine article which stated such.) and the white w/black details are usually referred to as, you guessed it, "Storm Troopers". In GT5/6 I usually rode around in a Plum Crazy & HEMI Orange colored ones. I named them Blasphemy & Heresy since those colors are Dodge colors. :lol:

o3YPr4xG7OZqoRmRAyLqW7hAbwTJuQcj4bDzB7aFGjQMH5XttVtfm0J4s6CImeVmcokDjb4m-czkCvVvrBWLjDvKxtfgL9lyF6cD9iWkmCx0saxiQFUEmyJ_XlYlnz1Y2CKpMRG3SodCOgPCbocAvno49V7sU-dYv6-IaJ_KdTqTZri-Ce9H-jRf6iD76A59m9lEiCxgpEk8tCl3xhVGi68xNfBPuuSEc3PvHY3cdLFGlenzJsVbgtHVDJnwQfDBX29dEPtpEMDvnxZ8lrtAXO--V6HTbsGu89M22PTZrlEDCa3LV3aaSHvrEE_whXYwPP4PCeV8LAyPjfRegBzxMwQFajzrJLQVbBUPdM448Z3116KA6dPXIDsyr9LwOTMxJnhD8Xdsj9HaKd7j14JybxbaE56KA2gljcU-pcr7Mo62Z40NnpzOseiMaU4JvLjqYUaq9d45H4uVrobqPl-ZxsB3Kpxxaxj5js9iZ0yA7EV32dTfSxiOgR67RUVB-HuhcwW4hzbvZU7poYwodEEPqMBjqFTdpJM6qjFnwz9pOSajpbfvrRffM_xktzTSgJgfDscBDHehxEBqW2TWqPap0KnfiAadSwP5VFJS2pE=w1721-h968-no

AF1QipNeFLpUABogfV95WstesCYi_6M_1MiqxGW1P4-u

Ugh, a white GNX. I look at the GNX the same way I do the factory-bodykitted '83-88 Monte Carlo SS--the cars aren't particularly attractive and appear best in a color that downplays the Darth Vader styling...which seems odd given Vader is black. I adore (I doubt anyone's used that word in this context before) the '78-80 Monte and am quite fond of the full run of the fourth-gen Grand Prix as an alternative to the bulky turbo Regal.

Latest Posts

Back