Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 3,925 comments
Finally had a chance to get done with all of the weeklies. It's been a busy week!

American 600 - Road Atlanta

Finally a perfect excuse to whip out the Bandit T-A and have a wild time trying to keep it straight! This build is a fun one for me because I like hard to drive things, and this Trans-Am does not disappoint!

It's totally stock... with the exceptions of SH tires... and an LS9 swap good for 639hp, haha. It probably goes without saying that an old F-body with nothing but a bunch of extra power is not the most planted thing on a track. The braking distances in this thing are insane, and takes a bit to get used to, but the always-on power delivery and decent enough handling make it a blast to slide around. Lot's of steering input here, as I'm always pushing things into oversteer, but Smokey wouldn't have it any other way!

Nurburgring Sprint - Teslas

I know, I know, I'm the only one on this forum that actually likes the Model 3 P... so yay for me that they're back again this week (although I agree, these repeat cars/tracks are crazy). I was tired of my stock 3 (I also built a track-prepped version), so it got suspension, wheels and a lip kit just to make it look a little nicer.

As always, had fun with it. I like the power delivery and the ability to 4-wheel drift out of corners. I also think the quiet and not shifting gears is kind of a break from driving manual transmission ICE cars all the time. Really allows for concentrating on braking points and other things, though you wouldn't know that by seeing me blow through the braking points in this one...

Kei Cup - Maggiore

Basically did an exact repeat of the first time running this race when it was new. I enjoyed it then, and definitely still do. Used my lightly modified Cappuccino again, and it pretty much blows everything away. Also ran it once in an S660 with the same result, but the Cap is just more fun to drive.

Porsche Cup - Catalunya

Another quick, fun race. Used a 997 GT3 I built as an homage to the Carrera RS when it was added to the game. Great car, though its not nearly as much of a weapon as the 991 and 992 are. Seems like the braking distances are longer than I remember.

WTC 800 - Watkins Glen

I always love race cars at the Glen, and although I still consider myself more of a road car fan, GR3 cars have recently been taking up more of my attention, and have provided some really satisfying racing.

I did this one three times, once with the Gr3 Mustang (stock on RH), again with the Corvette Gr3 (also stock on RH), and a third time with the RCZ (mid-rpm turbo, RH tires) but was only able to manage 3rd the first two times times despite running pretty clean races. Each time I would have 20 or so seconds between me and fourth, and 15-20 seconds to catch up to first and second. Typical GT7 NPC shenanigans, but the Americans just didn't have enough power to catch up in 10 laps.

Both the Vette and the Stang are only 698PP, so I figured I'd just go grab a bigger gun, and out came the RCZ GR3 with a mid-rpm turbo setup good for 762PP, much closer to the 800PP mark. The RCZ felt like cheat mode was turned on, as it dominated everything on the straights early on, but as the race continued it was a much closer match to the Viper, M6 and Supra at the front of the pack. I left RH tires on it for longevity, and ran fairly consistent race taking first by 15sec with one-stop.

No need to leave the Gr3 class for this one, just ensure that you either add a little power to your favorite Gr3 and get back out there! A more meta Gr3 car is likely able to win this one in stock form.

Pardon any ignorance, or missing a post that spoke about this already, but what does this mean exactly? No weeklies for a week?
Yep, pretty much exactly that.

Well, a week and a day. Or at least we assume that, because they haven't actually given a time yet, but we're assuming it'll be midnight local time in the morning of Friday March 8th.

What's the reason we haven't seen the new Weekly Challenge events posted from Australia yet?

Are they tied to the new update whenever that's going in instead?
I am more curious and anxious about the update. Normally they would have a news post on GranTurismo.com or a blog post on the Playstation Blog with details of what is coming. All we have is the teaser silhouette with laser scan video from Twitter.

Welp, no weeklies, but I figured that since there are a few new races those could fill in the gap.

EVO - Laguna Seca

I'm so happy the EVO 9 is here. It's such an iconic car, and the in game version does not let us down. I went to grab the gold at RBR first, then took it to Laguna Seca for the Japanese 550. At first I ran it on SH tires and it was a tough time getting first, so I threw on a set of SS tires and took everyone by lap 2... might try the SM tires and see if that's a little more fair because even though it was still only 533PP on the SS tires it was an easy win. Probably would have broke some suspension bits hitting all those sausages IRL though, haha.

Renault R4 - Tsukuba

Wish I could say that the Renault was half as fun as the EVO, but it's just not. It's quirky and cute, and fun to modify, but as a driving experience it's not much. The steering is so light it's like FFB is turned off (it stiffened up a bit when the spring rates were increased), and with a bunch of mods and a turbo it still gets run down by stock VW Golfs. Maybe a future engine swap option will liven it up a bit more.

Still have the Euro 600 to do, and I'll be sure to post it up when I get to it.

Last edited:
No. It was announced last week that the next set would be up on Friday 8th March.

Yep, pretty much exactly that.

Well, a week and a day. Or at least we assume that, because they haven't actually given a time yet, but we're assuming it'll be midnight local time in the morning of Friday March 8th.

Where has the weekly challenge menu disappeared to? I'm not seeing the green tab menu anymore.
Thank you GTP'ers! I'm not always up to date with the news. :bowdown:
You didn't need to read the news, you only needed to look upwards exactly FIVE posts on this thread on this page ^^^

Wish I could say that the Renault was half as fun as the EVO, but it's just not. It's quirky and cute, and fun to modify, but as a driving experience it's not much. The steering is so light it's like FFB is turned off (it stiffened up a bit when the spring rates were increased), and with a bunch of mods and a turbo it still gets run down by stock VW Golfs.
I beg to differ...completly tuned up with SS tyres it will beat any stock Golf in the game...
But maybe I am talking nonsense, I will try it out and report on it later... ;)

But I agree on your verdict of the Lancer, that is a great car to drive, even in completly stock conditions(...and so ost the new Audi)

I never exit GT7 so the screen that fire up is the one where I left the game 😅
Do you ever put your console in to rest mode? Because not exiting the program before doing so is a fast way to find yourself in a data corruption scenario.

I beg to differ...completly tuned up with SS tyres it will beat any stock Golf in the game...
But maybe I am talking nonsense, I will try it out and report on it later... ;)

But I agree on your verdict of the Lancer, that is a great car to drive, even in completly stock conditions(...and so ost the new Audi)
I built that one with pretty much every engine modification and high-rpm turbo (and SS tires, though they have nothing to do with straight line pace) and it can barely keep pace with a stock MK1 GTI, any newer GTI would obliterate it. The Alfa Veloce and Citroen DS are still faster than the R4 in a straight line... it's just not fast, and I don't think there's anything else you can do to it to make it so.

Yes I do, but when I fire it up it does not go back to the screen with the updates messages and the option to do music rally or to go to world map.
That's my point. You're putting your system into rest mode without quitting the game first. That's one way to get corrupted install data.

That's my point. You're putting your system into rest mode without quitting the game first. That's one way to get corrupted install data.
Ok. Been doing that for every game and GT in particular since I have my PS5.

Do you ever put your console in to rest mode? Because not exiting the program before doing so is a fast way to find yourself in a data corruption scenario.
I’ve used rest mode since launch (PS5 Launch) and have had no data corruption issues at all and that includes numerous power cuts!

I've got a friend who never turns his PS4 off, let's it go to rest mode automatically. He jumps straight into COD as soon as the controller is in his hands.

His console behaves like it was the only device in the world which was affected by the Y2K bug, unfortunately.

zjn
Do you think it's just a bye week, or next time weekly will come back with some improvements?
I learned that it's pointless to get your hopes up in any way when it comes to this game. I expect them to simply add more of the same, probably using 1 of the 3 new races added with the last update.

Just finished the Menus required to unlock the Weekly Challenge. Got the ending video as well. I've restarted GT7 and PS5, but still don't have the green rectangle for the Weekly Challenge...

Has this been seen/fixed before?

Just finished the Menus required to unlock the Weekly Challenge. Got the ending video as well. I've restarted GT7 and PS5, but still don't have the green rectangle for the Weekly Challenge...

Has this been seen/fixed before?
The Weekly Challenge is not available at the moment, with the last set having ended on Thursday February 29th and the next set - as noted in a few places over the last page - not beginning until Friday March 8th.

This is very fearmongery lol, I'm sure the whole point of rest mode is its ability to do exactly that.
Not really fear mongering, as it's very true. I have a year old PS5 that's done the whole data corruption thing several times after playing GT7, RDR2 or GOW. And it's not only me, as this is a well documented issue that effects many PS5s. I've never lost data, but did have to do several re-boots after getting data corruption notices, black screen boots, and having to do multiple restarts to get it to boot into the home screen. Many others have lost recent save data, ALL saved data, or had their PS5s completely bricked (having to send them to Sony for repair).

I used to leave it in rest all the time. It was nice to let videos upload or controllers update and then jump right back into whatever I was doing, but no more. Not after dealing with these issues several times. I shut it off every time now.

If you and other have never experienced this then that's awesome, but many do, and it's a large issue that Sony hasn't yet addressed at scale.

As a side note, I'd never had an issue with Sony products before, but my PS5 has faulted many times (though I have always been able to get it back to operational, and it hasn't had an issue since I stopped resting it), the white controller that came with it has stick drift that cannot be easily fixed at home and makes it useless, and my PSVR2 has a faulty connector port that causes the L headphone speaker to cut out sound if it's wiggled just a tiny bit. My stuff is all very gently used, and well taken care of. My anecdotal experience doesn't speak highly of Sony's current reliability.

Games that have all data stored online dont care about rest most and data corruption on the local drive (unless of course game data, but these isnt touched at all unless update).
Games that use rest mode and are played offline are usually planned around just that, as the whole console is (since PS4).
In fact during all that time PS4 existed up until now, I never needed to replace the HDD or have my console repaired. Just idle it in rest mode whenever I dont use it.

Not really fear mongering, as it's very true. I have a year old PS5 that's done the whole data corruption thing several times after playing GT7, RDR2 or GOW.
More likely this console was faulty right from the start and it would happen anyway.
Nothing to do with rest mode being the sole culprit, just maybe an accelerator on the issue laying beneath.

Back