Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 3,210 comments
Weeklies are meant for everyone, not only aimed at top drivers like you. So there will always be easy races included.
I’m by no means a top driver. I’m a top C class driver at best in Sport mode.

For the SF race the Honda SF19 on RM tires and FM3 the whole way is an easy no stop race. Turn up the aero a bit past 75% both front and rear and you can go full throttle through turn 1 passing lots of the AI. I ran fairly consistent 1:08’s for the whole race.

I’m by no means a top driver. I’m a top C class driver at best in Sport mode.
But you completed 100% the game (licenses, missions, CEs, all events and so on), not a feat that most player can say they achieved. If you look a top ranking players in the world at TT as an example, you will see that they are not all A+/S either. That does not mean they are not good, just that they don't race online much.

There's always huge respect on my side for these super fast high downforce cars and I always have a hard time at the beginning re-learning about their capability and finding trust in what is possible ( I'm a slow learner believe me ) but then ...
Isn't it ultimate fun as soon as you got the hang of it ? Plus Road Atlanta ... what a superb race track.

I've used the Toyota '23 and just like @Tommy_D suggested above for the Honda '19, use front and rear DF at about 75 %, RM tires and FM3 for a no stop race ( you can use FM2 for the second half of the race ).

Really didn't expect this but I think I'll re-run the race a couple times. :)

Edit

@Strax
After reading your post below : Do you think there's a big difference between a stock and a Praiano tuned SF ( well knowing that Praiano's a magician ) ?

Last edited:
Weeklies done, took advantage of a Saturday at home and did them in one sitting.

1) American FR 550 @ Blue Moon Bay Speedway

Kudos had me take this on with the Chevelle, so I went with a completely stock one. Wasn't enough to catch that fast Viper up front, so I used part of the earnIngs to buy a set of SM tires for my car. This changed things immensely as I was now able to take corners at a higher speed, and it was enough for a very close victory (with CRB as well).

20970540792709042.jpg

2) Pickup Truck Race @ Colorado Springs - Lake

I was tasked to take this on with the Tundra, so I used my monstrous UZ-swapped one with 830-something hp. And this was fun! Much more fun that the Urus, I have to say, I hate that car. Given my advantage I was on P1 at the beginning of lap 2, so the race was done there? No, since I spun close to the end of the race; Solis couldn't capitalize though and thus I still got the W. And somehow once again with CRB, which is a true rarity for me on the dirt.

20970012835643653.jpg

3) Superbird Special @ Watkins Glen

Didn't really feel like buying a new Superbird so I went with my trusty Hellcat-swapped one. I wanted it in Vitamin C though, so I hit the livery editor and decided to give it an extra, special touch. Race was an easy win but the car drives really bad with the Hellcat engine without having upgraded brakes and gearbox, and that is a shame. So I did exactly that, gave it somehow of a tune up to 600pp and did the race again. Much better, also got the CRB this time around. I also tried a Tokyo 600 run, but I guess it's not her cup of tea apart for the long straight.

20970222690345653.jpg

4) World Rally Challenge @ Willow Springs - Big Willow

I hate Willow Springs in any way, shape or form, and racing in with dirt cars made it even worse. Kudos sent me here with the NSX Gr.B for which finding a tune was close to impossible. Found one on the internet, took on the race, somehow won with a single pit stop mainly for tires since this car chewed though a set of RH as if they were butter. No CRB but I was happy to be done with this quickly. It was also my first time completing this event.

20970128065889353.jpg

5) Super Formula @ Road Atlanta

So, the elephant in the room. Kudos picked the Honda SF23 for this one, which wasn't a car I owned already (only had the SF19s). So I bought it, gave it a ThreeBond Racing livery, Praiano-tuned it with a bit of a personal touch on the LSD and took this on. And it was hard, very hard to find the groove with this car and this track, after I was done the SF already required an oil change. But eventually things went into place, I found my pace and got back confidence with the track (which I love, btw, if only PD gave us a money grinding event here as well...) and managed to pull a nice win. Followed @Tommy_D's advice and went RM with FM3, I could constantly run 1:07/1:08 lap times with the occasional 1:05 with good slipstream and overtake button. Eventually it was a no-stop race, with the last three laps done struggling while trying to save what was left of my tires. But still, won with 17 seconds from P2. It's really fun to drive the SF once you get the proper groove with it.

20969886629999370.jpg

The daily ticket was a 6* parts, which is definitely not what I hoped for. At least it gave me a 300k-worth weight reduction stage 5 for the Demon.

Fun races this week, I always really enjoy the Gr.B cars on road courses and the Super Formula cars at Road Atlanta were great fun too. Other 3 races were decent enough, all were reasonably easy although Blue Moon Bay can be tricky if you try and run low PP cars. For Road Atlanta I used the SF19 and ran RS/RS pitting on lap 8, I think if you use FM3 you can not put fuel in but I just went as fast as I could and ended up winning by a minute, so much fun to drive although you have to be careful at turn 3 or you launch the car into space. For Willow Springs I just ran a stock GT 86 Gr.B and pitted half way for tyres, doesn't need fuel on FM1 if you lift and coast and maybe throw it on map 6 when you're close to the limiter in 6th.

Somewhat accidentally Toyota themed cars for the week:
full
It has probably been explained before, but how can you get more than 3 cars in a single photo?

Propably 1 to catch up/pull away and 6 to reduce the risk of wheelspin on halfway used tyres.
Just a guess, havent done that race.
Beat me to it, that was my thinking. And I got lucky that it actually worked. 🙂
That's clever 👍

Just tried it, I am largely of pace. Doing 1:11-1:12 while they doing 1:07. Lost even more time in the first laps to adapt and find how to go through turns, but even with a better knowledge/confidence, I was still much slower than the pack. The only thing that prevented me to be lapped was my no stop strategy.

Looks I'll have to lower the difficulty to easy to have a chance.

[Edit]Lowered to easy and applied @OldandSlow's hints for the win. Finished ~30s in front of n°2. Best lap in 1:08. AIs pitted really late, I thought they were on a no-stop strategy.
Same here, only I’m not as fast as you are. I’m glad it worked out for you.

But you completed 100% the game (licenses, missions, CEs, all events and so on), not a feat that most player can say they achieved. If you look a top ranking players in the world at TT as an example, you will see that they are not all A+/S either. That does not mean they are not good, just that they don't race online much.
Well, yes, my focus has been the single player side of things. I did do sport racing for a little bit and did get in to B class territory but could barely hang on to that status. I eventually got kicked back in to C class. I sometimes struggle to get silver on the weekly TT events, so I really don’t bother with them. I can earn many more credits and have a lot more fun just racing the AI instead of real people.

Yeah, that's what I was remembering, but since that pic seemed difficult to be obtained via manual merging I thought I had missed something. Thanks for the answer!
It's 3 merged in Photoshop, usually I just spread the cars out which makes it really easy but this one they overlapped a bit which took a little more effort. Nothing perfect but fine for a quick image each week.

@Strax
After reading your post below : Do you think there's a big difference between a stock and a Praiano tuned SF ( well knowing that Praiano's a magician ) ?
Yes there is, the biggest impact is the gearing which is much better than stock. I didn't really fancy his diff setup and had to tweak it a little bit, but that's mostly down to someone's driving style...and throttle control, my crappy G29 pedals don't let me do what I'd like to and thus I need a bit more diff.

Ok this weeks races were hit and miss with me.
I usually start with the hard race all the way to the right and work my way left, and the SF race @ Road Atlanta was irritating at first until I found the best strategy for me, it can be won with either the 19 or the 23 and without using the boost. With a little FM it was a no-pit race. (Sorry no photo)
World Rally Gr.B, this too was a spot of trouble as always on this track you can slide off easy on ANY turn and something with the Gr.B cars just makes it harder as RH tyres will not grip proper. Started with the Mustang and failed then traded up for the Audi Quattro and with gentle inputs won the race easy.
18f8e538a0c80-3fa315B375F96579043.7F0DCD06C091CCF5_message_439315289461937_1716075349460.jpg

Special Event w/Superbird. Easy race and I detuned the Plymouth to make it somewhat equal.
18f8e535dbe17-3fa315B375F96579043.7F0DCD06C091CCF5_message_439316408457176_1716079720535.jpg

Pickup Truck Race. The only truck I have in stock is an engine swap Toyota (blue), so there is not much else to say...
18f8e537d9a91-3fa315B375F96579043.7F0DCD06C091CCF5_message_439315438652424_1716075932236.jpg

FR Challenge 550. I hopped back into the Plymouth Superbird and easily dusted off the others.
18f8e536dd296-3fa315B375F96579043.7F0DCD06C091CCF5_message_439315968861658_1716078003365.jpg

Looking forward for next week...

Last edited:
@GlockPants

Congratulations ! :cheers::gtpflag:

This thread has reached a hundred pages. ... A great place to be.
:cheers:

Always nice to add another positive environment onto the internet!

I should be finishing the Weekly races later today. Only have the SF @ Road Atlanta left. However, I am probably going to revisit the Gr.B race at Big Willow to get a P1 finish. I managed P2 with a stock tune and Racing Hard tires with the Mustang. Tires were beyond dead doing a no-stop. But after reading some posts on here about some tuning tips, I'll try to work on a track tune for the Gr.B cars.

:cheers:

Always nice to add another positive environment onto the internet!

I should be finishing the Weekly races later today. Only have the SF @ Road Atlanta left. However, I am probably going to revisit the Gr.B race at Big Willow to get a P1 finish. I managed P2 with a stock tune and Racing Hard tires with the Mustang. Tires were beyond dead doing a no-stop. But after reading some posts on here about some tuning tips, I'll try to work on a track tune for the Gr.B cars.
This is what I used on the mustang:
IMG_4271.jpeg
IMG_4272.jpeg

But it’s not a complete tune, and I lowered the power to get near the suggested PP

Last edited:
It's a gemütlich Sunday afternoon here in Southern Germany and I realize I've been pretty quick completing this week's races.
I solely used stock cars, adjusting PP to my liking via power restrictor or ECU or both, ballast and tires. The only car that got a performance upgrade was the Plymouth by adding CS tires.
I've run every race multiple times, for the fun or for practice or for a CRB simply which wasn't that easy to obtain at times, especially at Big Willow and at Road Atlanta. Wins though came quickly, the whole batch of races was fairly easy imo.
I also tried to keep things "US", so here are my winning cars :

Race 1
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240519094614.jpg
Challenger SRT Demon '18 - 312 kW / 2.141 kg / SH / 546,25 PP / runtime 2:49,507
Me adjusting power turned my Demon into a Baby Demon.

Race 2
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240519100815.jpg
SVT Raptor '11 - 214 kW / 2.909 kg / D / 406,60 PP / runtime 4:37,174
Give me a N2O powered Jimny and I'll still beat the big guns.

Race 3
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240519113505.jpg
Superbird '70 - 317 kW / 1760 kg / CS / 487,40 PP / runtime 6:49,829
Bought a new one in "Vitamin C" for healthier racing.

Race 4
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240519115914.jpg
Mustang Rally Car '17 - 409 kW / 1380 kg / RH / 647,60 PP / runtime 13:28,929
You need a fast horse and a plan to survive this desert.

Race 5
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240519122446.jpg
Toyota SF '23 - 466 kW / 670 kg / RM / 935,35 PP / runtime 17:02,064
That stretch from the chicane across the line up to turn 5 is pure magic.

I'm looking forward to next week now - my prediction is we'll get an Afeela Special ! :lol:

Last edited:
I used these cars this week.

18f9219c62d96-screenshotUrl~2.jpg

The Shelby (stock) is a go-to favorite of mine. I used to have the non-R variant in my real life garage but sold it a couple years ago. Straight forward race at BMB.

The Lightning is lightly modified for a pretty easy win in the pickup races, usually getting P1 on the final lap.

Superbird has Sport Soft tires and that's all I needed for a good win. Tried entirely stock but couldn't manage a good result.

The Gr.B Mustang is good for a passing result as is. But thanks to @AlexWilmot's tune, I managed P1 easily (copying only the suspension and differential settings). Racing Hard tires and fuel saving for a no-stop race.

First time with the SF at Road Atlanta. RM and some fuel savings, no-stop strategy gave an easy win.

Ready for next week!

First off, here's the only race I recorded from last weeks batch. I literally only had a little over an hour to do them all, so I blasted through using mostly OP cars. It was pretty fun.. I usually used cars that are down around 100PP to keep the difficulty up, so it was a blast to let that go and just stomp everything into the ground.

S13 Silvia - Silvia Sister's

I put an R35 VR38 in this thing and it rips. It's also pretty precise, which makes it borderline hard to handle, but it's just this side of crazy, and can drift on demand... which is nice.

This weeks races were alright. I used a stock 2016(?) Camaro for Daytona mostly because I don't think I've ever driven it. Easy win.

Superbird race was handled with a stock 'Bird on CS tires and with a 5-speed gearbox... also easy as pie.

GRB race was done with the Quattro, and I'm not a huge fan of how it drives at all. It's so twitchy, wanting to come around hard when coming off the brakes, then it's all understeer on the throttle. I lowered it and stiffened it up a bunch which made it much more stable, but even with the brake balance all the way at the front the rears were still too aggressive. The Peugeot is so much more fun to drive than this thing. Regardless of it being a legend, it's not much fun on pavement.

SF race was as fun as it was when I last did it. The AI is super slow through turn one and the final corner, but are decent around the rest of the track which makes for a little bit of competition. Like some others here, I went FM1 until I passed the leader on lap 6, then went down to FM4 for the rest of it. Won it by over 50sec driving pretty conservatively. The SF19 (or '23) races are always some of my favorites.

F-150 Raptor - Truck Race

The only notable race this week for me was the truck race. My Raptor is tuned to 600ish hp, and has the power shifted 95% to the rear (wish we could do 100%) making this thing slide like crazy on the dirt, and for a heart-racing run trying to keep it all together with a CRB while sliding it as much as possible!

Now it's back to the TT's for me when I get back to GT7.

Last edited:
Big Willow with rally cars is awful damn
Still awful. Tried the Audi Quattro and Peugeot 205 and placed really poorly both tines. Running medium tires with fm 1-3 to do a one stop strategy, used the high rpm turbo for the audi and the medium rpm turbo for the Peugeot.

Definitely a skill issue on my end/need to practice this track more but christ, any recommendations would be appreciated lol.

Still awful. Tried the Audi Quattro and Peugeot 205 and placed really poorly both tines. Running medium tires with fm 1-3 to do a one stop strategy, used the high rpm turbo for the audi and the medium rpm turbo for the Peugeot.

Definitely a skill issue on my end/need to practice this track more but christ, any recommendations would be appreciated lol.
I used the Honda on RH tyres and FM6. Short shifted all the way and only had to change tyres on lap 6. Not refuelling saves a tonne of time in the pit stop. I won by about 7s.

Edit: I should add: my NSX has the high rpm turbo added so it's running nearly 800hp.

Last edited:
I used the Honda on RH tyres and FM6. Short shifted all the way and only had to change tyres on lap 6. Not refuelling saves a tonne of time in the pit stop. I won by about 7s.

Edit: I should add: my NSX has the high rpm turbo added so it's running nearly 800hp.
Hmm I'll need to check if I even have the NSX rally car, if not though should any Gr. B car be able to get a zero refuel race with FM6 and short shifting? How much fuel did you have left?

Hmm I'll need to check if I even have the NSX rally car, if not though should any Gr. B car be able to get a zero refuel race with FM6 and short shifting? How much fuel did you have left?
Yep, any of the modern ones for sure, I'd imagine. Especially the Toyota 86 Gr.B is particularly good on fuel. Pretty sure I dialled up the fuel to FM1 or 2 in the last couple laps to use up the remaining fuel! So loads.

This is what I used on the mustang:
View attachment 1356675View attachment 1356676

But it’s not a complete tune, and I lowered the power to get near the suggested PP
Thanks, it's made it a bit better, however the still handles like driving a shed. Typical American trash.

Is there a way to make it not send me off into the dirt if I need to brake and steer at the same time? The offtrack penalty on this track is so high, its game over right away of you go off track.

As you can guess, I dislike American muscle cars that handle like turds, and I don't like this track either. :-(

Edit, got a frustrating and unenjoyable 3rd, so good enough...

For the SF race the Honda SF19 on RM tires and FM3 the whole way is an easy no stop race. Turn up the aero a bit past 75% both front and rear
I have this car, all I need to do is understand the abbreviations. Getting totally destroyed, I'm doing 1.08s most lap. This is a tough race.

RM? FM3 ?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back