Weekly Race Series, Week 24

• Thread starter boombexus
  • 153 comments
best sector times for me are 23.3 and 1'05.4, but on different laps and neither beat my overall time...

i don't know how to take the first turn, i'd be faster if i did. I take it at 68-71 mph.

Originally posted by IDAFC21
Thanks man :embarrassed: Who knows, i'll probably be racing along side you pretty soon in the pro league. :scared:

:mad: :banghead: :irked: Does anyone else NOT make it thru the first turn after the start line like 90% of the time like i dont?? Im having SO much trouble with that damn turn, it is the bane of my existence. Of the 10% of the time i DO make it cleanly thru the turn, 5% of that time i go too slow, therefore messing up my chance of getting anything good for the rest of the time. the other 5% of the time i get it, i usually screw up the lap somewhere down the road anyways. That turn is so imporatant to your lap time, and i cant figure it out!!! If anyone has any pointers that might help me tackle that turn better, please feel free to share. [/end rant]

Well dude...

I could give one thought up.

It might not help, but hear me out.

That first turn... take it slow.

Just look at how many times you (as well as I) have scrapped a lap because of that first turn.

Thing is, if we were to continue on those laps, we could easily end up with that moderatly paced 23.5 t1.

That may seem slow, but then take into consideration the amount of variation on the times after t1.

I have 23.3's that go into 1.02's and 22's that do the very same thing.

If I was you, I would concentrate on going through the first turn cleanly with a t1 under 23.6.

Finish that lap and see what it comes up with.

I can say for sure that 23.6 is well with in the range to pull a 1.02 something.

What Im trying to say, is that, imo, the first t time is the least important.

Everytime Ive had an really awesome lap, it was on an "ok" first sector.

If we can learn to nail the final three sectors, then the .3 you lose on the first sector will be more than made up for.

With the amount of time we stand to gain or lose in the final three sectors, it is very much a possibility that your best lap will be on a "slow" t1.

**** ! if you can master the final three sections, you will the best lap even on a 24.0.

But if you never get that best lap because your searching for the best t1, well...

Just remember to look at the forest and not a single tree.

Hope that made sense to atleast one person.

yeah...that does make sense, i know theres plenty of other areas where time can be made up...i guess im just too much of a perfectionist :) which is a tough thing to be on this track. haha

I'm done for the week. My lap is a full second slower than one where I scraped a wall. So many restarts makes me want to heave the controller out the window. :banghead:

I know exactly how you feel Sough, as does everyone else here.

Times like this you just need to put the controller down and take a break from the game. Then, when your ready, go back with a clean mind. Trust me, it works wonders for your times. 👍

It sure does...like im doing now...i need a friggin break. haha. I do have another SLIGHTLY better time tho, only .100 this time, but hey, improvement is improvement. its STILL w/ the splits that i can not escape!!! 23.3/1'02.6 ....im still waiting for that magic lap but i dont know how much ive got left in me...patience that is. haha

I feel all of you guys on this stuff...

The magic laps seem to come to me on the laps with the same splits...

On a totally theoretical lap, for example purposes...

I will pull a 30.0 t1 -> 1.00.0 t2 with a final of 1.30.00

Then, out of the blue I will pull the very same t times, but end with a time thats over a second less.

This sort of thing happens all the time with me (as with this week) and its always what I call the "miracle lap."

Now Ive gotta address booms comments...

I gotta support him.

Infact, taking breaks will improve your time expadentialy.

I also notice that if I take a break from working at the hot lap and just do the same race with an auto while taking my time and concentrating on my lines, then go back to my manual tranny, it also helps out alot. (*for me)

My only piece of advice for anyone here...
(thats worth your time)

Is LISTEN TO THE FAST GUYS.

They will help you and they will make you faster.

Ask for advice and ask about how people are doing things.

If your "slow" you will not become faster by doing the same thing... you've gotta change and adapt to the faster racing techniques. (the next level if you will)

I'll be back in a lil while with updates...

It's raining like mad @ the Cape,so why go there when I can torture myself with this weeks race?
I usually drive manual,but this week I am using auto to cruise the track to identify points for braking,where to get into accel,etc,then going back to manual for the hotlap.I have been driving 4-5 hours a day,50 min on,30 min breaks.It seems to work,as I am now steady into the T1= 23.3, T2=1:03.5 I know I will get it though.
I never played GT1 or 2,and only got GT3 in Jan 03,with 2 mo. off to play GTA Vice City,so I have alot of catching up to do to be ready for GT4 and online racing.
GoKents brings up very good points that can help everyone.
I know I am turning times I never even dreamed of,but you need good habits to follow,thats where the FAST guys come in.

Just my.02...

Later,
cinjun8

I'm thinking that maybe the key to this race would be using manual transmition instead of auto. I don't know why, but the manual tranny never stuck with me in GT3. I always revert back to automatic...

well, since im havent ever posted a sector time due to being horrible at last few weeks, this week is slightly better, now these times are after a whopping 10 laps maybe.... i can guarantee i got atleast 2-3 seconds left in just 2nd sector that i can make up, i just cant quite get it all together. now if this was the monaco i know and love... the one in all the f1 games for pc, where its nice and tight and i know it by heart, id tear it up, but the slight difference between them throws me off way too much... but then again, could be the difference between using sterring wheel with a f1 car compared to controller with a boat of a car compared :D

ill see if i can improve as the weekend goes, need to put some more laps in, get that time more respectable... and now...with the times....

sector 1 - 23.615 (fastest first sector ive had was a 23.423)
sector 2 - 1.04.078

Well an update for me is in order...

23.1 -> 1.02.4 -> "a final time of .5 less than the best till then."

This is also going to come down again.

I did a total crap last section on that lap and I garuntee that if I can match the first three sections, I will beat the final.

Back before I go to work. Hopefully with an update.

till then...

... well...

The **** just hit the fan.

With an unknown t1...

1.02.0 -> a lap time that is yet again, .5 faster than the fastest to date.

Sadly, this is still a time that will come down even more, and thats what Im about to go work on...

till then...
-kent

Thought you guys would want to know that racing against my 1.02.0 ghost just led me to a 1.01.7.

I will do it again I hope, but for now... its off to the races again.

Well, I've been racing a few laps a day, none today though. What's wrong with me? I have put down some decent times in my mind, but there is always room for improvement.

Here are my best T Times so far:
T1: 23.8
T2: high 105.xxx

The amount of time that can be made up or lost between the bottom of the hill (~T1) and the right turn before the tunnel is amazing. If I could get the best times for the hairpin, the wierd turn after the tunnel, and the final set of turns, I would have some really good looking times.

Also, I have found that if you are going slow enough around the hairpin the e-brake actually works pretty well to get the back end of the car around, but if you're going to fast or can't control it after you e-brake you've basically wasted the lap.

I've not been on this in days :embarrassed: (been busy with the TT's again :D)

I have a save in the bag though and will submit it today .... not expecting anything much :( my overall time aint all that ! Top 5 if i'm lucky

Good luck guys cya's in the next round that grabs my attention (even if it is short lived ):P

Laters :cool:

Just put down a 1.02.2 (I think it was)

Point is, I managed that with a time that dropped once again, by about .5.

This time it was only .4, or around that, but still... I have decided now that the biggest places to make time on this course are the really twisty section after t1, the quick lefts down by the water. (the two turns before t2) and the final section.

T1 means crap to me now... Ive put down 22.7's that couldnt even come close to matching my 23.2's.

Well of course I could try and think about a 22.7 with a lap that was the same as 23.2 record laps, but I just dont think like that.

Remember, thinking about your theoretical best is only good for one thing- a target.

Anyway, Ive got the night off so I may be back with more updates in a lil... till then, later.

Time submitted, almost did some "heaving" myself ;)
ended up with: T1 23.252, T2 1:03.227
probably couldve run in the 2's but was just to inconsistant to do so
:cheers:

I guess I should mention that every clean lap that I continue is below 23.3 and I am now consistantly putting in 1.02's.

The thing about this for me is trying to string the perfect lap together.

I would really like to see a 1.01.5, but with the rarity of 1.01's I dont know that I will be able to pull a 1.01.5, none the less put it in a clean keeper.

Havent touched this in a couple days...i zonda'ed myself out this week. haha...i'll give it one last shot tomorrow afternoon/evening before the deadline to see if i can get anything better, not expecting much tho. This has been a fun week, even if we were forced to use that box of a car w/ the turning radius of a football field :)

It seems to me that every race where the general opinion of the board is that a car is a heap of crap, I do well with that car.

Take the race... Oh the gt40 at apricot.

Everyone hated it except gt40 die hards, yet I did well, infact, I won that week in my class.

Point is, this week, people think of the zonda as crap, but I have grown quite fond of it, no matter what the results look like in the end.

I have felt connect to the car in every aspect, especially the way the car drifts and breaks.

I will be back tomorrow with more times (hopefully)... till then...
-kent

Im exactly the same way....even when i harp on a car/track, I usually end up doing better than i expect w/ it, cuz i spend so much time w/ it trying to get it right. thats what i love about this series, its forced me to use cars that ive either never driven, or would usually never think of driving

Perfectly said...

I feel the same.

I also know that this series started with the intention of being a learning experience (how things have changed), and with that in mind, I must say... DAMN, Ive learned alot.

People like boombexus and miata13b have made this an experience I will never forget.

My racing has improved infinitly and I owe it all to the weekly.

Thanks boom.

And thanks again to boom and alta for you know what... catch you guys later...

Oh yeah, Idafc, carbonfiberman, pedrodaman and lotus350, you have all been the best "rivals" ever. I am honored to be in your ranks.

I haven't been able to read all the post, in fact last night was the fisrt time I was able to do a session so here's my sectors

T1 23.6xx
T2 1,04.0

and its very hard to stay clean :irked: this car understeers too much.

Later

Well it looks like I'm not going to pose much of a challenge this week as I am totally and utterly disappointed with my time...I tried to run a session today and managed to beat my best lap ghost on nearly every section of the track and yet could never finish a lap clean. My best overall run with a wall touch is half a second faster than my best clean run, and even that run had areas where I know I lost time. Time submitted, sorry I couldn't get my **** together this week. Have fun destroying me as usual.:rolleyes:

i thought i posted this last week but upon further review, i apparently did not :S anywho, due to the high level of study i've had to partake in this past week, i never had time to get the job done sorry. this week i'll have a late start as i'll be cramming till wednesday :( good luck and i'll catch up on thursday maybe.

Just thought you all should know that unless I can put in a bad ass time before I leave for work (in about 3 hours) then my best save is gonna be...

23.0 -> 1.02.2?? -> oh wait, you'll find out the final later on tonight.

Till the next time...

well, heres what i got so far with only a few hours left till deadline... t1-23.509 (ive had a 23.114 on a other lap that i messed up in sector 2 :banghead: ) t2-1.03.336, i know i can improve on both by about .4 or .5..... the first sector can be improved for sure by atleast that, but 2nd sector, it wouldnt be as easy, but i may give it another go before its time to turn lap time in. from what im seeing, i wont be able to do all that great seeing how almost everyone has faster lap times than me but hey, this is my first actual week of racing and posting my times.... so go easy on me, hehe :D

I nearly went to bed without submitting then :P

Time sent , Good luck all:cool:

I'm betting Boom and UB found the .5 that I couldn't in the Zonda ;)

Originally posted by Mr P
I'm betting Boom and UB found the .5 that I couldn't in the Zonda ;)

:D "Boom" might have found it but I'd need to find about 1.5 seconds to be where I'd like to be. (1 second behind the fastest Pro for every minute run is my goal.) Think I'm about 2 seconds behind by T2 this week, which will probably be close to 3 seconds @ the Finish Line. Just couldn't find the rhythm this week w/only 40 Laps run. See "Y'all" next race...UB57
:D

Same with me.I spent alot of time driving this week,and will take away some good lessons from this track.
Although I was .500 faster than my submitted time, my T1=23.458
T2=1:03.651
I seem to have hit an "invisible object"on what I know was a clean run. So I didnt submit it.
Oh well...

Later,
cinjun8

Back