Weekly Rivals Mode Thread FINAL WEEK

• Thread starter RikkiGT-R
  • 613 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
1:39.3xx seems the limit of my ability, keep getting that with all sorts of cars. Desperate to get into the 1:38's :mad:

Also can't fully agree on a control scheme. Simulation steering feels nice and sharp but the cars are unpredictable. Normal steering is easier to control but now I can "feel" the damping. Really annoying me.

This looks fun, I'll be at it tonight. :)

1:39.3xx seems the limit of my ability, keep getting that with all sorts of cars. Desperate to get into the 1:38's :mad:

Also can't fully agree on a control scheme. Simulation steering feels nice and sharp but the cars are unpredictable. Normal steering is easier to control but now I can "feel" the damping. Really annoying me.
Normally I use simulation to reduce understeer, and normal to reduce oversteer, sim can really help trucks and plows turn in, and normal helps ridiculous lift-oversteer in Porsche's and other crazy cars.

Great to have another driver on board @CSLACR :)

The issue I have always had with simulation steering is - once I even slightly lose control, that is it. Car fishtails all over the place and 100% spins out. With normal steering if I lose control I can counter steer a little and/or tap the breaks and/or add a bit of power and that brings it under control. I've been driving cars in the real world for years (and currently own a very powerful Audi S4) and can honestly say that normal steering is far more realistic at "simulating" loss of control, whereas simulation steering is far more realistic at simulating being in control.

I hope that makes sense. To me it's a catch-22, I can't have the best of both worlds.

According to the guys over at Turn 10 forums when using a wheel there is not supposed to be any difference between normal and sim steering. There is of course. Been a while since I have tried the sim setting, it was just far to unrealistic when a car oversteers. Normal at least is driveable but neither of them seem quite right.

Perhaps I will try a few laps with sim steering to refresh my memory.

@HBR-Roadhog - there really is a MASSIVE difference in the two settings, and mainly what you mentioned there. I rarely get a complete lap in simulation steering because even the slightest loss of control leads to complete disaster. It's not even remotely realistic, you just can't control the car once grip is lost a tiny bit.
It is a shame because the cars feel great under control, but what's the point if you can't even make tiny corrections?

I've actually spent most of my Forza time as drifter. I was pretty late to the fm6 party so when I jumped on I couldn't work out for the life of me why I couldn't get more than half a corner in without spinning, tried a million tunes, everything was the same as fm4, then when I was about to give up I realised it was still on sim steering. Makes it completely unable as soon as it steps out on controllers.

I gave the ATS-V a go just for fun, but on my first flying lap I beat my time in the M6, and by the 3rd flying lap I was in the 35s... 1:35.9xx is ultimately my final time, I don't think I'll have much time to play again in the coming days...

By the way, 5 out of the top 10 times worldwide are GTP members as of now, and I'm pretty sure everyone that submitted a time so far is in the top 100. :D

By the way, 5 out of the top 10 times worldwide are GTP members as of now, and I'm pretty sure everyone that submitted a time so far is in the top 100. :D

Shame we don't have a wee "GTP" in our gamertags or something, that would look cool on the leaderboard :D
Not sure I'm in the top 100 yet @-Fred- although I'm about 60th in Europe and was 10th Hardcore last time I checked.

Great to have another driver on board @CSLACR :)

The issue I have always had with simulation steering is - once I even slightly lose control, that is it. Car fishtails all over the place and 100% spins out. With normal steering if I lose control I can counter steer a little and/or tap the breaks and/or add a bit of power and that brings it under control. I've been driving cars in the real world for years (and currently own a very powerful Audi S4) and can honestly say that normal steering is far more realistic at "simulating" loss of control, whereas simulation steering is far more realistic at simulating being in control.

I hope that makes sense. To me it's a catch-22, I can't have the best of both worlds.
You're exactly right, although there are times I catch it in simulation, it's far too difficult.

According to the guys over at Turn 10 forums when using a wheel there is not supposed to be any difference between normal and sim steering. There is of course. Been a while since I have tried the sim setting, it was just far to unrealistic when a car oversteers. Normal at least is driveable but neither of them seem quite right.

Perhaps I will try a few laps with sim steering to refresh my memory.
It can be extremely helpful in tuning restricted events with heavily understeering cars and trucks. It is still too difficult if you break loose, but it's usually pretty easy to avoid breaking the rear loose on heavily understeering cars.

I've actually spent most of my Forza time as drifter. I was pretty late to the fm6 party so when I jumped on I couldn't work out for the life of me why I couldn't get more than half a corner in without spinning, tried a million tunes, everything was the same as fm4, then when I was about to give up I realised it was still on sim steering. Makes it completely unable as soon as it steps out on controllers.
It's even harder on the wheel. :scared:

I'm gonna extend this week for another day since nobody was really doing much over Xmas (understandable). And I have my young child here on my own until tomorrow due to a family bereavement - wife is taking care of funeral arrangements.

Deadline for this week is now 6pm GMT Thursday 28th December.

I'm gonna extend this week for another day since nobody was really doing much over Xmas (understandable). And I have my young child here on my own until tomorrow due to a family bereavement - wife is taking care of funeral arrangements.

Deadline for this week is now 6pm GMT Thursday 28th December.
That's good for me, because I was just coming in here to say how I forgot to set a time when I got home Tuesday afternoon. Will give it a go this afternoon.

Could you maybe update the times once in the middle of the week, so that newcomers/people that want to join know how high the competition is? Thanks in advance!

Friction Assist On or OFF?

Last edited:
Could you maybe update the times once in the middle of the week, so that newcomers/people that want to join know how high the competition is? Thanks in advance!

Friction Assist On or OFF?
Sounds a bit too much to be honest. If they want to they can either add the people here so they appear on the leaderboards, or just go over the last page or two and look. Sounds a bit unnecessary.

In my opinion, friction assist should stay off as it will invalidate the lap by using it. With the lap already invalidated, it gives room to run off track on area's that we generally wouldn't use, and wouldn't know otherwise. I recommend keeping it off.

Sounds a bit too much to be honest. If they want to they can either add the people here so they appear on the leaderboards, or just go over the last page or two and look. Sounds a bit unnecessary.

In my opinion, friction assist should stay off as it will invalidate the lap by using it. With the lap already invalidated, it gives room to run off track on area's that we generally wouldn't use, and wouldn't know otherwise. I recommend keeping it off.
You are right of course, it has to be off. Stupid question, sometimes still too new to Forza :). I managed a quick 1:37:217, thank you so much for the great tuning @-Fred-

PS: Could anyone share their tuning for the ATS-V?

I think I got down to a 1:38.5ish which was upsetting because I completely ballsed up the corkscrew. I won't have done for another shot at it but it was a fun week! Loved the track and love driving the s60.

Edit; I lie. Young fella went down earlier than expected so I got a few more laps in. Got into the high 1:37s in the Volvo, then jumped in the Infiniti and grabbed a tune, got down to a 1:37.6 or 7 and that'll do me. The Infiniti is definitely quicker but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did the S60.

Last edited:
Reminder to add me on Xbox if you haven't already - makes compiling the leaderboard(s) a breeze.

IamValhalla

That'll teach me to try tuning a car... managed to get the Ghibli to a 1:38 flat, then after some tinkering added a stunning whole second... I give up.

Week two leaderboard, Laguna Seca, Sport Luxury:

1. RPM Bibblefish – 1:34.744 – Infinity IPL G :bowdown:

2. FastBud – 1:34.974 – Infinity IPL G

3. UnshavenYapper – 1:35.539 – Maserati GT-S

4. VICGT1970 – 1:35.605 – Ghibli ‘14

5. itrfred2 – 1:35.964 – Caddy ATS-V

6. HBR RoadHog – 1:36.373 – Caddy ATS-V

7. whitemanLS1 – 1:36.845 – Caddy ATS-V

8. lImarobotl – 1:37.087 – BMW M5 ‘09

9. nEx1983 – 1:37.217 – BMW M6 ‘10

10. RM Tricky Nixon – 1:37.227 – Maserati GT-S

11. RepairedCarrot8 – 1:37.633 – Infinity IPL G

12. sskmercer – 1:38.015 – Caddy ATS-V

13. ScoobyMcPancake – 1:38.255 – Ghibli ‘14

14. IamValhalla – 1:39.301 – Volvo S60 PS :ouch:

WEEK 3:

Car division: HYPERCAR

Track/Ribbon: Le Mans Circuit de la Sarthe full (modern with chicanes).

Last edited:
@BoneSawTX - I do check before I select the track to see if the leaderboard is bare as far as my friends are concerned. There's only me and @UnshavenYapper on this particular one so it'll be fun to fill it up.

Also, regarding my awful placing in last week's leaderboard - I'm sure I could've improved on that but with family over for Xmas and then a grandparent dying on Xmas Eve I haven't been near the game to race.
I'm confident I can get competitive on Le Mans :sly:

Well at least i made it "to podium" this week :)

Not sure how much time im gonna put in, in this Hypercar event, allready feel i spent plenty time in that division, since its been one of the few hoppers available since day one, and then the league. But will give it a fair try 👍

3:40:657 #15 in the Lykan Hypersport. Looking at the leader board the Venom dominates the top 20 on this track.

I've already got a build for the Venom shared which i ran on Le Mans classic (old le mans). Believe it's currently sat at #2, it should also work for this track if anyone wants to try it.

I've been staying away from the Venom for now and do not have the hyper sport so been playing with some other cars a bit. I was driving the Agera out there earlier with my Daytona tune on it, a bit squirrely and will need some tuning but can easily get into the 3:40s I think I only posted a 3:51 something with it but I had a few laps that were a good bit faster but dirty. My best lap out of the 5 I ran in it was a 3:46 something but it had a carry over penalty from the previous lap and a slow start as I messed up that last chicane really badly on the previous lap.

If I get a chance I will take it back out there and try a few more laps then if I can't get much under that 3:46 I may have a go in the Venom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back