Wets vs Intermediate?

• Thread starter talhaONE
  • 29 comments
Tyres are supposed to provide grip as much as possible for tricky conditions. I just select whatever tyre is available and best for strategy/situation. Try to see if you can go any faster on the Wets and sneak into Top 10 again for this week's daily races. :D
The question is wets vs intermediate not Wets vs racing hard.

On Tokyo it was intermediates for early morning, heavy wets for noon and dusk. Or maybe it was intermediates for dusk. Noon definitely had the most rain and is much faster to drive on heavy wets. (about 2 sec per lap difference)

I'll do a comparison on Spa since the races are crap anyway this week.

This is the result of my quick Spa test

Spa x5 x5 GR.3 Audi R8 Bop start 20th 4 laps Pro AI

Dawn rain 6:30
2:42.9 best lap 9th place finish Intermediates
2:40.9 best lap 6th place finish Heavy wet
3:11.2 best lap 20th place finish Racing Hard

Day time rain 11:00
2:58.1 best lap 20th place finish Intermediates
2:50.5 best lap 5th place finish Heavy wet

Dusk rain 20:30
2:52.6 best lap 20th place finish Intermediates
2:46.9 best lap 4th place finish Heavy wet

I remember Tokyo at dusk in the Fia races, heavy wets were the best there, pretty much the same as on Spa. It's only close at dawn, other two times heavy wets are way better.

As a benchmark I was doing 2:22 in the Audi R8 in the dry while fuel saving. I did take it easy without any practice and stayed within the lines for the test.

@DesertPenguin I doubt that slicks are still fast, maybe they can still keep up at dawn. I'll try.

Nope, racing tires do not work at all in the rain! I had to slow down to 120kph to get through Eau Rouge / Raidillon without cutting.

Last edited:
Which one you prefer more?
Intermediates are much faster and they aren't that different than wets.

People say that slicks are still fast. Anyone have some lap time data to back that up?
I don't have any laptimes, but sometimes slicks are faster. Pretty much intermediates and wets are identical to superhard and megahard tyres. They're just slick tyres, but more stable. I'll tell you: I made 10 laps with slicks and 10 with inters under rain and the tyre wear is much worse with slicks.

In my GT League races(light rain and heavy rain), tyres default to inters. I have felt those provided more grip than the full wets I've used in Custom Races.

I'm leaning more to the inters, as preferred tyre choice.

In my GT League races(light rain and heavy rain), tyres default to inters. I have felt those provided more grip than the full wets I've used in Custom Races.

I'm leaning more to the inters, as preferred tyre choice.

I tried tow GT League races, heavy wet first, experience to the intemediates then redid the Spa one that was close, heavy wets first this time.

2:41.5 best lap 6th place finish Intermediates
2:40.2 best lap 6th place finish Heavy wet

RBR GT League 17:30 rain GR.4 Alfa 4C Stock
1:49.9 best lap 1st place Heavy wet
1:48.8 best lap 1st place Intermediates

Tokyo East Inner loop GT League 18:00 rain GR.3 Huracan Stock
2:11.6 best lap 1st place Heavy wet
2:12.2 best lap 1st place Intermediates

Also there is still a difference between when grip reduction is set to real compared to low.

This is the result of my quick Spa test

I remember Tokyo at dusk in the Fia races, heavy wets were the best there, pretty much the same as on Spa. It's only close at dawn, other two times heavy wets are way better.

As a benchmark I was doing 2:22 in the Audi R8 in the dry while fuel saving. I did take it easy without any practice and stayed within the lines for the test.

@DesertPenguin I doubt that slicks are still fast, maybe they can still keep up at dawn. I'll try.

Nope, racing tires do not work at all in the rain! I had to slow down to 120kph to get through Eau Rouge / Raidillon without cutting.
Did you set the grip to "real"?

People say that slicks are still fast. Anyone have some lap time data to back that up?
Intermediates are much faster and they aren't that different than wets.

I don't have any laptimes, but sometimes slicks are faster. Pretty much intermediates and wets are identical to superhard and megahard tyres. They're just slick tyres, but more stable. I'll tell you: I made 10 laps with slicks and 10 with inters under rain and the tyre wear is much worse with slicks.
Slicks are not only not fast in the wet but simply un-usable... If you are able to run on slicks in a wet track it's because you have the incorrect lobby setting - You don't have set the wet grip to "real".
I mean on proper wet settings and dry tires, you literally stuggle to run the car on a straightline and you wont take any corner properly, you will be dead slow

Last edited:
Difference should be bigger than that I reckon

3:11 for a lap instead of 2:22, that not big enough??? The car could hardly make the corners in first gear. I had TCS on 2, the light was pretty much on all the time :lol:

I found my old test results for Tokyo and tested RBR as well, confirmed grip set to real
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/daily-race-discussion-archive.386265/page-1539#post-12882678

Tokyo East Outer loop 8 laps Huracan Bop start 20th pro AI

Dawn rain
2:08.230 best lap finish first Heavy wet
2:08.722 best lap finish first Intermediates

Noon rain
2:16.458 best lap finish 1st Heavy wet
2:18.833 best lap finish 10th Intermediates

Dusk rain
2:11.516 best lap finish 1st Heavy wet
2:13.318 best lap finish 3rd Intermediates

RBR x5 x5 GR.3 Alfa 4C Bop start 20th 5 laps Pro AI

Dawn rain 4:45
1:48.9 best lap 19th place finish Heavy wet
1:52.0 best lap 20th place finish Intermediates

Day time rain 10:45
1:53.5 best lap 18th place finish Heavy wet
1:57.2 best lap 20th place finish Intermediates

Dusk rain 17:30
1:43.2 best lap 11th place finish Heavy wet
1:43.4 best lap 11th place finish Intermediates

Only in GT League the intermediates beat the heavy wet on RBR, but that was GR.4 instead of GR.3 and stock instead of Bop settings. I have no idea what the grip is set to in GT League, those 2 races were in the beginner and intermediate section. (Results are so close intermediates could be better after all at RBR afternoon. I did drive them second trying to beat my heavy wet times and could not)

The GR.3 Alfa 4C is horrible in heavy rain at RBR. Trying to accelerate through those slight bends is very hard. But on RBR the rain is lightest at dusk while at Spa and Tokyo it is lightest at dawn. Around noon is the worst on all 3 tracks. When in doubt, just go with heavy wet tires.

Last edited:
I tried tow GT League races, heavy wet first, experience to the intemediates then redid the Spa one that was close, heavy wets first this time.

Interesting results.

I raced the GT League Gr.2(default TCS 3) GT-R '16 at RBR rain. That has plenty grip versus same conditions in Custom Race

I see a 2:42 instead of a 2:22.
I will try myself tomorrow with your settings

Yeah that was my first attempt on intermediates, 20 sec slower than in the dry.

These are all the tests I did at that particular time

(Spa Dawn rain 5x tire wear, 5x fuel, 4 laps, GR.3 Audi R8 Bop TCS 2 ABS default grip real)

vs 2:22 with the Audi during last weeks race while no stopping.

Thus 18 seconds slower per lap in the rain with heavy wet tires and 49 seconds slower per lap with RH tires.

I'm curious if you can get intermediates to go faster than heavy wet tires. I only managed that in GT League at RBR.

Interesting results.

I raced the GT League Gr.2(default TCS 3) GT-R '16 at RBR rain. That has plenty grip versus same conditions in Custom Race

I re-tested the 3 rain races in GT League that allow intermediates and heavy wet tires and raced them under the same conditions in a custom race. The results are pretty remarkable.

I did the shorter races twice and took the best result to be fully tuned to the track. Heavy wets first, trying to beat those times with intermediates after.

RBR 17:30 light rain GR.4 Alfa 4C Stock start 10th 4 laps GT League Beginner
1:47.5 best lap 1st place Heavy wet
1:47.2 best lap 1st place Intermediates <---
RBR 17:30 light rain GR.4 Alfa 4C Stock start 10th 4 laps Pro AI grip real
1:48.0 best lap 1st place Heavy wet
1:47.9 best lap 1st place Intermediates <---

Tokyo East Inner loop 18:00 medium rain GR.3 Huracan Stock start 10th 5 laps GT League Amateur
2:09.6 best lap 1st place Heavy wet <---
2:10.9 best lap 1st place Intermediates
Tokyo East Inner loop 18:00 medium rain GR.3 Huracan Stock start 10th 5 laps Pro AI grip real
2:11.1 best lap 1st place Heavy wet <---
2:11.2 best lap 1st place Intermediates

RBR 10:45 heavy rain GR.2 Motul Autech Stock start 16th 10 laps GT League pro
1:34.3 best lap 2nd place Heavy wet
1:32.6 best lap 1st place Intermediates <---
RBR 10:45 heavy rain GR.2 Motul Autech Stock start 16th 10 laps Pro AI grip real
1:43.3 best lap 18th place Heavy wet <---
1:48.8 best lap 20th place Intermediates

The GR.2 race has the biggest disparity between GT League and a Custom race with real grip. It feels completely different in GT League, way more grip, so most likely tire grip is set to low in GT League instead of real. It's probably the same for the other races yet the lighter the rain the smaller the difference.

RBR 17:30 has the lightest rain and intermediates beat the heavy wets there. It's still a toss up with grip set to real as with the pro AI in the custom race I had the benefit of drafting stable AI to set those laps, too close to call. The tires felt pretty much the same. In GT League I was in first in lap 2 so those times are all without drafting. Same for Tokyo medium rain, too close to call with real grip yet a noticeable difference in GT League. Oddly the outer loop version was definitely faster with heavy wet tires and was used by everyone in the FIA race.

Interesting that in heavy rain intermediates come out on top in GT League (GR.2), but not in medium rain (GR.3)

For sport races and custom races with real grip, stick with heavy wet tires.
GT League depends on the race due to grip set to low.

Yeah that was my first attempt on intermediates, 20 sec slower than in the dry.

These are all the tests I did at that particular time

(Spa Dawn rain 5x tire wear, 5x fuel, 4 laps, GR.3 Audi R8 Bop TCS 2 ABS default grip real)

vs 2:22 with the Audi during last weeks race while no stopping.

Thus 18 seconds slower per lap in the rain with heavy wet tires and 49 seconds slower per lap with RH tires.

I'm curious if you can get intermediates to go faster than heavy wet tires. I only managed that in GT League at RBR.
I tried this and I got:

2:38.9 - heavy wet
2:38.7 - intermediates
3:06.4 - racing hard

I have to eat my words here, I remember trying it in Red Bull ring and it was completely undriveable, but with TC at 2 makes a lot of difference and makes it slow but driveable (I didnt put it then)
Also very surprised how (at least in this time/track/condition) wets and inters feel different yet very similar in laptimes.

As others have said, with the fixed rain conditions in GTS every situation has its preferred tyre.

In summary:

RBR
Dawn - inter
Noon - wet
Dusk - inter

Tokyo
Dawn - inter
Noon - wet
Night - wet

Spa
Dawn - wet
Noon - wet