What’s your assists set up

United States
Brookyln
do you play with all assists off for every type of car or do you mix it up. And why and what’s your opinion to get the best sim settings.

Please post your driving assists set up. I’m just curious to see what’s the most common and what’s the best. Mine are all off and used for all car types but some cars need abs on or traction control.

I use TCS and ABS when racing, turn the former off when drifting.

I know there is a performance deficit with traction control on, but I'd rather not have my attention focused on throttle control.

I tried today with traction control and stability control on but abs off. Much better deal and tighter to get around the course.

Yeah gas control is a steep learning curve. Why do you use abs on. I feel that give you less control. I like trying to break and trying to control the gas.

TCS in RWD cars above 350 hp, otherwise I manage the launch with the race differential; off on FWD/AWD cars. Stability control always off; ABS always off, unless I have a mod card in play.
I use manual transmission at all times because I can't manage the clutch for shifting up or down (although if there was a controller setting like X-shift down, A-clutch, Y-shift up, B-clutch, I would go for it.)

TCS in RWD cars above 350 hp, otherwise I manage the launch with the race differential; off on FWD/AWD cars. Stability control always off; ABS always off, unless I have a mod card in play.
I use manual transmission at all times because I can't manage the clutch for shifting up or down (although if there was a controller setting like X-shift down, A-clutch, Y-shift up, B-clutch, I would go for it.)
There is. That’s how I have my controller set up. It’s pretty easy to use too. Set clutch to A, upshift to X, and downshift to B. Use the right side of your middle thumb, to hit A and B at the same time to downshift. :cheers:

None except driving line on braking, can be quite a struggle in cars like the Ultima GTR without TC. I would run ABS for the bonuses from the perks (forgot what they’re called).

I could turn off driving line but I really struggle to get a feel on Forza due to the physics and you can use the driving line as a braking marker albeit much later than where it says to brake

There's an option to switch the clutch and handbrake buttons, it does exactly that.

Usually nothing on but manual w/ auto clutch.

I almost may do ABS TC and STM on if I'm in a nasty hi power rwd car in the wet etc.

Since there's no penalty for all electronic aids on then why not?

Hi,
I use a controller with default setup (except no dead zones on direction, brakes and throttle)
I have simulation damage and no rewind: this really forces you to be patient in races. It feels more like a real pilot to care about not making mistakes /damages.
I have long races: Gives you time to be patient and also feels more like a real race
I have stability control and ABS: This allows me to recover from mistakes more easily. I may try to turn OFF stability control one day.
I have normal direction: I use a controller, so simulation direction is too twitchy
I have traction control OFF: I like the feeling and need to be cautious on corner exit.
I have manual transmission (without clutch)
racing line brakes only.

Those in bold are really the key to enjoying forza in my opinion.

Last edited:
Yep. concur with the sim damage and no rewind. Given that even the default sim damage is very very lenient. I see to recall FM4/5 were much easier to damage the car.

I have always used simulation steering even on controller... I'm used to the speed of the lock to lock since I've been doing it since FM2... that leads me to how do you drift on normal steering... however I have no spent a single minute with normal steering so...

I see this overall as having more control or more things to manage in a car... you know how they say that in a manual car you have more control as you are 'manually' in charge or more... then its the same here.

I cannot imagine a world where I use automatic. Its like driving an EV like a Tesla in this game, it just doesnt work for me.

that leads me to how do you drift on normal steering... however I have no spent a single minute with normal steering so...

In fact I am very bad at drifting :), but my son managed to drift fairly well with very easy assists (save for the assisted steering) !
I was completely shocked :D

I'm terrible at drifting too however I'm good enough for the Forzathon challenges which is all I care about.

ie. 6,000 points on Maple Valley to win a Forza Edition car.

Mmm interesting so seems everyone is different. My settings are abs off and traction control and stability control on. I may change and try just abs on and the other two off. I wonder if I can break later and be faster in the corners with that set up. It’s interesting everyone is different. Or maybe my set up with just abs off and traction control and stability control on is good.

I’m going to do some laps later today and see what’s faster. Abs/tc on and stability off. Or abs on and tc/stability off. I use a controller and autoshifting. I have never tried manual or clutch shifting. Just never have not sure to change and try shifting. I think first try and find my abs/tc/stability

My set up is;
TCS, Stability Control, and ABS all off at all times - I dont race in the classes above S, so it was never really necessary to have them on. I think even if I did I'd end up leaving them all off anyways as I like the challenge.

Manual w/clutch when racing, but regular Manual when drifting - using clutch with drifting just doesn't sit well with me for some reason. With it on, the initial loss of grip causes the RPM's to dump, so it requires you to make sure you hold the clutch to keep the revs up as you first lose the traction. With my controller set up at LB and RB for up/downshift and the joystick as the clutch, I just felt it was a better time to just remove the clutch when drifting.

Driving line on - I dont usually stick to just one car, and alternate a lot. Online I typically change my car every single race so I never really bother learning braking points.

Rewind on, damage off - I do this because I mostly race offline, and the Ai can be a bit sporadic at times.

I may change and try just abs on and the other two off. I wonder if I can break later and be faster in the corners with that set up.
ABS, in fact increase your braking distance as it pulse the brakes. I try to not lock up even with ABS on, but if I **** up, I'm not right into the wall because I can still use the wheel :)

Rewind on, damage off - I do this because I mostly race offline, and the Ai can be a bit sporadic at times.
That's what I thought... then I watched replay from helicopter view. In fact It was me crossing the AI line too early after an overtake in 95% of the time. I learned to give the AI more space and it's fine (aggressiveness reduction is ON).

That's what I thought... then I watched replay from helicopter view. In fact It was me crossing the AI line too early after an overtake in 95% of the time. I learned to give the AI more space and it's fine (aggressiveness reduction is ON).
Yeah I'm aware of that, and I give them room all the time and have actually been an advocate for them for a while, telling people that if you respect their line, then they can race pretty well. However, there is a good amount of times that one AI will come flying across a track and smashing you left and right. It's not always the player.

My set up is;
TCS, Stability Control, and ABS all off at all times - I dont race in the classes above S, so it was never really necessary to have them on. I think even if I did I'd end up leaving them all off anyways as I like the challenge.

Manual w/clutch when racing, but regular Manual when drifting - using clutch with drifting just doesn't sit well with me for some reason. With it on, the initial loss of grip causes the RPM's to dump, so it requires you to make sure you hold the clutch to keep the revs up as you first lose the traction. With my controller set up at LB and RB for up/downshift and the joystick as the clutch, I just felt it was a better time to just remove the clutch when drifting.

Driving line on - I dont usually stick to just one car, and alternate a lot. Online I typically change my car every single race so I never really bother learning braking points.

Drifting with the clutch is tricky but ultimately very rewarding. You have to clutch in every time you e brake which is hard, but master it and you'll be shocked at how much more control you have. I will frequently get into a position where I threw too much angle at the car. Without a clutch you just spin. With a clutch, you can clutch in and ride it out with no power to the wheels for maximum drift recovery, then when the car finally does begin to recover, you rev, dump the clutch, keep drifting and act like you meant to do that the whole time.

Drifting with the clutch is tricky but ultimately very rewarding. You have to clutch in every time you e brake which is hard
I'm aware, and that's where the tricky part comes in for me. My Clutch is down on the Joystick, and my Handbrake is up on the Joystick :lol: The way I have it set up is optimal for me when racing, just not so much drifting, and I didn't feel like having to change my layout every time I wanted to drift, so I would just switch off clutch.

I'm aware, and that's where the tricky part comes in for me. My Clutch is down on the Joystick, and my Handbrake is up on the Joystick :lol: The way I have it set up is optimal for me when racing, just not so much drifting, and I didn't feel like having to change my layout every time I wanted to drift, so I would just switch off clutch.
Lol. "Switch clutch and handbrake" not gonna solve that problem for you then I guess. Oh well, I guess there's no "right" way to drift since the point of drifting is to just have fun.

Lol. "Switch clutch and handbrake" not gonna solve that problem for you then I guess. Oh well, I guess there's no "right" way to drift since the point of drifting is to just have fun.
Pretty much :lol: I never really liked the feel of having clutch as a button as it was just too much like an on/off switch rather than an actual clutch. The joystick feels a lot more natural, and the way I have it set up is non-obtrusive. I have the upshift as left bumper so that way when I'm on the gas, shifting wont interfere with any throttle modulation, and vice versa for brakes. I haven't seen too many people that use that layout, to be honest.

I have tried switching the clutch to the A button and having the X for the downshift and B for the upshift. I have no problems with pressing both buttons for the downshift, but my thumb doesn't have enough width/reach to do the same in the upshift... so I end up damaging the tranny :ouch:.

I have tried switching the clutch to the A button and having the X for the downshift and B for the upshift. I have no problems with pressing both buttons for the downshift, but my thumb doesn't have enough width/reach to do the same in the upshift... so I end up damaging the tranny :ouch:.

I think i'm in the minority, having polled others about their controls for the clutch. I just left it on the left bumper and learned to brake with my middle finger. Honestly the rumble triggers make braking a lot easier for this generation with no ABS. Just brake until you feel vibration and then back off by a millimeter or two.

I use contrller setup 2, with X and A being my upshift/downshift. B is my E-brake, so in a pinch i can downshift (A) while holding down E-brake (B) and still holding down the clutch (LB) while also bleeding off a little speed with the front brakes (LT) and holding down the gas (RT) in preparation for a clutch kick.

Drifting is tap dancing for fingers lol.

I race mostly in cars like the gt and formal e and lmp1 or 2 cars both old and new. So I like more super cars and race cars. Then everyday cars. I use cockpit view.

I haven’t tried my new set up yet but when i do i will let you know how it is. I think the best set up is going to be abs and tc on and stability off. But that is good to know about abs on and it increases breaking so that might not be good. Abs off will be better maybe. r. I am curious to see how breaking is with abs on. But it’s possible with it on tacking traction control and stability off might be key. I will find out later.

Normal Steering (sim is too twitchy on controller), Manual with Clutch, Simulation Damage, Driving line on Braking only, Rewind on, everything else off when playing for myself. While doing my Division Battles series on Youtube I turned Damage to fuel/tire and rewind off.

I’m trying abs off and traction control off. Stability on. Then going with abs on and both traction and stability off. But I think having abs off gives you more breaking control. The real test will
Be which other two to keep on or off. My theory is abs off and traction control off.

Back