What’s your assists set up

Normal steering or simulation steering. For using a controller what’s more real. Seems sim is just a bit more loss
Sims Steering is much closer to a 1:1 steering input while Normal is dampened a bit. But that sharper steering response of Sim Steering can make it much more twitchy if your not smooth with your steering inputs.

So sim is better
Mostly down to personal preference, I find Sim steering to be too twitchy for my driving style.
Do the world endorence and Le Mans cars use traction controller or stability control or abs on or off. Just wondering.
Depends on your Assist settings.
Forza doesn't emulate the car's onboard control systems to the same level of authenticity as something like Project CARS or Asseto Corsa strive for. Forza uses a more generalized physics model that is close enough without having to go in and tweak the physics for each individual car to make them as realistic as possible. The main issue with it is that cars with Hybrid systems similar to KERS are always on rather then activating on demand realistically.

So you use abs on and breaking line. Cool. I have mine set for abs off and tc/stability control on. And I mostly use high end sports cars and race cars and race cars

Also yournright assetto corsa and project cars are more fined tuned. But forza just feels and plays better. Then project cars assetto corsa is the sim of all sims. Then forza. In my opinion.

This has been a great topic. I’m keeping my setting. Sim stearing for more realism, abs off and tc/stability both on. Fuel and tires are simultation.

ABS on sort of mimics cars from the 1990s - dsc and tc are usually only in cars from say the last 10yrs.

I'm ok with no ABS as lock up is pretty progressive and predicatbale here.

Just tried a few races without ABS and no braking line and it’s actually really fun. Braking distances feel much shorter without ABS and my lap times are getting considerably better. Managed to win a 10 Lap Race of Rio Nat R in the M6 GTLM (R825) against a gang of R8 LMS’ (Pro AI)

The only assist I have on is Normal Steering. If Sim-Steering wasn't a twitchy mess, I'd use it. I also will never touch Forza unless I am using a wheel.

Using the controller everything's off or simulation except for the clutch. I've tried using a manual clutch a couple times, but it hasn't worked out so well.

I'm tempted to try a couple assists in multiplayer leagues, as I don't think I've done very well in them despite playing the AI at unbeatable or pro. But so far, nah.

(Edit: as for no ABS, I've been able to control braking without lockup much easier with Forza/the XBox controller than I have with GT5-6/the PS controller. I kept ABS set to "one" on GTs).

ABS on is way too slow for me. Steering is normal, I'm gonna try sim, on controller, though (due to this thread). I race a lot of automatic, it's just more smooth for me. TC and SC off 99.9% of the time. Braking line, but use it more for determining my braking points. I've noticed the developers have added in random things on tracks to use as braking points that help on Rivals mode when going for hardcore leaderboard.

Ex. Indy grand prix layout there's crap to assist all over that joint. Including a random black spot on a rumble strip. Other tracks have conveniently placed signs that are obvious, not the numbers or metre boards.

Damage mostly off, because it's the quickest, basically all qualifying laps. When I did career mode, I realized Damage on helped greatly because you're faster when short pitting compared to AI. Pit halfway and be fresh for the entire race.

Great info. I switched back to all assists off abs, traction control and stability control all off. I just need to learn how to break and turn better it makes everything more real and just feel so much better. I like the realistic feel with all assists off you just have to practice and get better.

Might have to change up my assist settings a bit, I broke my Clutch.
sjwlA7n.jpg

And before you say something about using A as Clutch is better, I'd be fighting nearly a decade of muscle memory to switch. As it is I need to put far too much focus into not instinctively pushing LB when shifting, even when playing other games.

Might have to change up my assist settings a bit, I broke my Clutch.
sjwlA7n.jpg

And before you say something about using A as Clutch is better, I'd be fighting nearly a decade of muscle memory to switch. As it is I need to put far too much focus into not instinctively pushing LB when shifting, even when playing other games.

I tested those controllers back in the day, funnily enough we actually ran into this problem (LB and RB breaking when dropped) because the controllers were so much heavier than the non-elite version.

I tested those controllers back in the day, funnily enough we actually ran into this problem (LB and RB breaking when dropped) because the controllers were so much heavier than the non-elite version.
I've had this controller for about 3 years now, found replacement bumper button kit with the screwdriver needed to disassemble the controller on Amazon for $12.99USD. Going to fix it this weekend when it arrives.

Serious question though, is the Elite even worth the price they're asking for?

Hard to say, I had a lot more disposable income at the time I bought it so I didn't mind. However at this point it is very hard to go back to a regular XboxOne controller because the Elite just feels so much better.

I remember testing it and thinking "Yeah! I'd totally pay 80 bucks for this, this thing is awesome!"

I can't justify 150 bucks for me personally, but i will say its easily the nicest 'normal' game controller i've ever used by a pretty wide margin. They're legitimately great feeling.

Fixing it definitely seems like the way to go. Good luck with it!

I don't think so. I like the concept behind the controller though, but its reliability is suspicious. Bumpers breaking is a common issue. I imagine that Microsoft is going to address that in the new Elite controller, but they also got rid of a feature I liked a lot. Easy to remove and replace batteries and battery pack.

Generally all assists off on normal steering with my elite controller. Setting the left trigger lock on so I can brake hard without locking up.

Wheel I'm still experiment with but currently normal steering with ABS on.

I’m doing great with all assists off and normal steering with my controller. But yeah I wish the elite controller would be updated with blue tooth and other features like the new regular controllers. Maybe it’s coming someday.

I use TCS and ABS when racing, turn the former off when drifting.

I know there is a performance deficit with traction control on, but I'd rather not have my attention focused on throttle control.

I know this is an older post in this thread, but I felt like it deserved a quick response. For both the poster, and anyone else in this thread.

There is this common misconception that turning all the assists off in Forza, will ultimately lead to faster lap times; that the assists are a hindrance to the end user. This is completely false.

The only assist that genuinely makes any difference at all, is the gears. If you use automatic, you are at a slight hindrance compared to someone using manual, and both are at a hindrance to someone who is using manual with clutch. The way you use the gears in the game really does matter, but it isnt impossible to post excellent and competitive times with each. Just have to employ some fine tuning of the gearbox for the cars. But..... and it is a big one. In cars that have a race clutch (especially proper race cars), manual with clutch makes far less of a difference when compared to manual without clutch.

Now when it comes to the other assists available in the game, more notably ABS, TCS and STM. It isnt so cut and dry. These assists will only hinder you if your driving is not smooth to begin with. If your car control is good and your inputs smooth, if you are able to utilise the analog inputs of your controller correctly. Able to use them progressively; then they will not get in the way at all.

If you looked at the LB before the wipe, or even in previous Forza Motorsport titles. You will see that even within the top 10, there are occasionally times with TCS enabled, posted up by the best that the Forza community has to offer. And the same can sometimes be seen with ABS and STM also.

This is a gameplay recording of me driving a Dclass honda civic around the Nords from FM6. I purposefully turned on ABS/TCS/STM in this run, as I wanted people to see what is really possible when those 3 assists are turned on. I picked D class, as in the lower classes, keeping the momentum up of the car is everything. Loss of speed means time to build it back up again in the lower classes.

When it comes to the assists in Forza, use whichever ones allow you personally to get the enjoyment from the game you want. Conform to your own standards and have fun. If you really want to look towards getting faster, concentrate on improving your car control at a base level by learning to become smoother. That is where a lot of gains can be made by anyone, and after that comes track knowledge.

p.s I use the breaking line in Forza, usually with normal steering. Manual with clutch for any car that isnt an actual race car, and manual without for the everything else. I also have ABS and STM off, but I will sometimes use TCS if it is beneficial.

Last edited:
Thanks great info and nice video. As a casual racing game player but it’s my favorite types of games. I’m still going to stick with all assists off. But i am going to give your info some more thought. Isn’t it true that in lmp1 and f1 and gt racing in real life all the cars have traction and steering and abs off. I want each forza Motorsport game I play to be as real as possible so I assume turning those off is the way to go. I sometimes see them even doing it on top gear tv show. But I see your point on being smooth and control is key. Enterting and exiting the apex is the key to staying smooth and good lap times so I guess maybe it doesn’t matter if abs is on or off. Maybe keeping them on is better and just get better at controlling and just break less or later depending on what’s going on. Does adjusting ai affect it. I’m at highly skilled drivitar levels. I always assume to get the most out turn all assists off. This post you wrote is true to each player all settings could be different and some might still be at the top. Very interesting debate as to what should be the best settings and why?

The fact of the matter is, there is no best settings. There isnt a setup with the assists that will suit everyone, they will only suit that individual. Its what it all boils down to. Car control is always the key. The better you are at that aspect of driving, the greater potential you have to be quicker.

When it comes to breaking, with or without ABS. It can actually be more beneficial to brake early and softer, especially if you use ABS. This allows you to keep the car better balanced, which can allow for better turn in and faster exit speeds if you roll on the throttle smoothly.

I have seen a lot of people really mess up trying to brake as hard and late as possible, and all that does is unload the weight from the rear of the car. It unsettles the balance, and often leads to loss of control.

And also try not to coast the car around fully off throttle. This can also unsettle the car, as the engine breaking will cause the weight to shift. This can spin you around, especially in mid/rear engine cars.

As for assists in proper race series, I believe TCS and ABS is a no go for F1. Not sure about LMP1, not followed it for a long time. I do believe their are some GT series that use ABS and TCS systems, but please dont quote me on that.

Back