What are some video games you used to like, but dislike/don't care for anymore?

United States
The US of A
While this may be a literal rehashing of my thread I made in the Music, Movies, & TV forum, I feel it's still a discussion worth having.

Much like my other thread, if you have played video games for a while now, it's not impossible that you probably once enjoyed a game, but as time went on, you got to were you didn't enjoy it as much as you used to and ultimately ended up disliking it or just not caring about it as much anymore. Well if you have any games of that sort, this is the place to post them!

Used to love football games and spent year after year playing pro evo either with friends or on my own, havent played a football game since pes 2014, just lost all interest in football games.

Arcade racing games, I used to love the likes or GRID, DIRT and Need for Speed but again lost all interest and mainly prefer Sim or Simcade racing games (wreckfest is an exception)

RPG's - Just dont have the time or patience for these games nowadays, made an exception for FF7 remake but otherwise RPG's are a no go.

This might sound crazy but Zelda games no longer interest me, despite many years ago being a huge Zelda fan. I had (and sadly sold) all all of the games up to Skyward Sword including gold cartridge of the original Zelda, Zelda II, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I enjoyed collecting the games and playing them when I was younger.

It's not necessarily because of the lack of interest in the games themselves, I simply don't have the consoles to play them on anymore so the interest faded. The Breath of the Wild looks great and there once was a time I'd run out just to buy a Zelda game, but I have been distracted by so many other games and have yet to even buy a Switch.

FIFA. I'm a single player kinda guy, career mode just never got love and stagnated into pointlessness. Used to buy it every year on launch, havent bought the last 3.

How many people over play a game type and get sick of it. It happened to me with Chinese food and some bands I used to like. Now I try not to over do it with anything. Somethings you grow out of as well.

ICO. It was great for its day, but after I recently tried playing it again I found the gameplay far too dated to draw me in again. I expect I'll feel the same for SH2 as I thought the controls were clunky even back in the day.

Madden football. I played in SNES, N64, PS1-3 and Xbox 360-One (The 2k series ruled my Dreamcast and OG Xbox years). I played as far as 2017, but no more.
I lost interest in Final Fantasy games after X, and in JRPGs in general, however I returned to FFIX in Gamepass and has charmed me again, I may do VII too.

JRPG's. Haven't really liked a Final Fantasy since 6.

Call of Duty. MW2 was the peak and it's been downhill since, thanks to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick who didn't want to honour developer bonuses.

For me is FPS games, I used to love them and played a ton of Unreal Tournament 2004 and Team Fortress 2 back then but these days any of these FPS just can't seem to hold my attention at all. Overwatch manage to keep me interested for a few months but after that I just forgot that the game exist.

Spongebob Squarepants Supersponge (PS1).
Got this game when I was about 10 years old I think and I got some enjoyment out of it as a kid and thought it was pretty good. Just shy of 2 years ago, I decided to take a little nostalgia trip and revisit the game again for the first time in ages. I thought it would be a good trip down memory lane, but it wasn't. From what I remember, the game was just too hard in some areas, the controls were pretty crappy, I didn't like the health system and overall, I just did not enjoy the game much at all. At one point when I was young, I started from the beginning and I managed to make it to the epilogue in one sitting and I honestly don't even know how I did it now. :boggled: It's a shame though because I used to like this game as a kid, but I could not get much enjoyment out of it upon playing it again and it just wasn't as fun as I expected. It is the game that made me want to post this thread in the first place.

I may revisit it again just for the sake of giving it another chance, but consider my expectations to be fairly low.

Last edited:
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.

Started playing it on Xbox when it was a game preview. It was my first BR game, and I loved it even though it had a lot of problems.

But eventually better BR games came along and I got tired of the bugs, low fps and lack of first person perspective players on consoles. It’s currently free for ps plus this month but to be honest this pos game should have went free to play a long time ago.

It had some good things about it though. Like no aim assist, so you actually had to learn to aim.

Last edited:
Mortal kombat.

I really dislike the overly detailed gore. I love the combat and the characters, but I get almost “queezy” when looking at the fatalities and stuff. For me they have taken it a step to far for me to enjoy.

I used to love playing multiplayer games - enjoyed Battlefield 2 a lot, Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike: Source were my jam, and I used to install all sorts of online F2P games to just play with random people.

Not anymore, though. It's not that I don't like interacting with other people, but I couldn't deal with the pressure anymore. Basically an online equivalent of stage fright. Forza Horizon 4 freeroam and co-op trial is only online multiplayer interaction I have in a game nowadays, barring co-op (local and online) with my friends.

Star Wars Battlefront (2015).
I was pretty excited when I saw the first teaser for this game. So of course, I got the game the day of its release, along with several others, with my PS4 I have now and Battlefront was the very first one I played on my new console. Initially, I was pretty impressed with it and I thought it was pretty good. 2 years later, I got the season pass for the game since it was cheap and started playing it again. While I enjoyed playing it again with the extra content, eventually it got extremely boring for me and the games flaws became much more apparent after that.

The single-player mode just didn't have enough content, too much was reserved for online play that could have easily been added to single-player and what little it did have got so boring after a while. As someone that prefers playing offline over online, that's a major problem for me. The online play itself, while I wanted to like it, I just could not enjoy it because I kept getting killed over and over again and always felt like I was at a disadvantage over everyone else. And then theirs the fact it didn't have anything from the prequel or sequel trilogies, just the original trilogy, which really doesn't help.

I don't dislike the game, it'd be fun to go back to every once in a while I guess, but it's not something I would care to play for extended amounts of time and is ultimately not what I thought it was. Which is a shame, because it could have been a lot better.

So many types of games that I used to play growing up but just don't have the attention for nowadays.

Fps for example, Doom, CS, Battlefield Vietnam.
Strategy games, C&C, Syndicate, Dune 2.
Space exploration, Frontier Elite, Mercenary 3.

Don't get me wrong I love to see a remake of Battlefield Vietnam with all the next gen lighting & what not, maybe a single player campaign based on all the Vietnam war films, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket etc & things like Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen & EVE look absolutely gorgeous.

But unfortunately I've not got the time, patience or skills any more.

I mean, if we want to get serious, Gran Turismo is a perfect example for me.

I can still play the older games, up to 4, sure, but even at the time there was better racing games (TOCA Race Driver especially) that did track based racing better, and often more realistically, and didn't treat single player racing like a JRPG experience which had worn out its welcome by the time the PS2 came out. By the time 5 comes along, it's obvious that there's a better game in the same vein (Forza) that did everything that GT did, better, and actually tried to innovate the formula instead of acting like I am playing an auteur's vision of the future of cars when I just wanted racing.

Now? I really don't give a **** about GT in a heavy regard other then what I saw from playing off and on Sport for a few months, and seeing how fans on here tried to hype up an obviously inferior product, from a guy who finally saw what it was like to not have his excrement turn to gold by yes men and fans and decided to basically give the middle finger to those people and try something else instead of breaking down what went wrong, and trying to improve it.

It's not like I'm a Forza fanboy either, if I'm honest Motorsport peaked at 4 for me, and I really only play Horizon by this point (and even then, the last time I played Horizon 4 was probably a year ago) and my interest and desire to play track based sim racers, which is what the racing game market has become at this point in time, is nil at best. But I'm not exactly that interested in dealing with the grandiose visions of an auteur that Kaz likens himself to be, and it's obvious from knowing how Kaz has operated since GT5 that he has no-one that will say no, or push him to stop with the ******** and change things, that it looks to me like GT7 will be more of the same that has plagued the series, except now they don't have the fall back of being an online focused spin-off or whatever.

Burnout 3 Takedown and Burnout Revenge.
Got these games for the PS2 a very long time ago and for a while, I really enjoyed them. (Burnout 3 especially) However, as time went on, I became less and less interested with them until I eventually couldn't find much reason to play them anymore. From what I remember, it seemed like I got constantly annoyed with the collision detection falsely detecting such minor things as a crash, like lightly tapping a wall or sideswiping, when they really shouldn't be. That stupid crash cam that would show every time it happens certainly didn't help either. Like, I get crashes is what Burnout is about, but geez.

Another thing I can remember is it seemed like both games had some challenges that got too hard later on and with what I said above, it oftentimes ruined my mood to play them. I didn't really like either games art style much either. Not really sure how to explain it, I just never really liked how they looked. Then their was NFS, which not only had several games I was into back then, but they were also putting out games at the time that later became favorites of mine. Which eventually led to my interest in NFS overshadowing Burnout for me and I just found what NFS was doing at the time to be much more enjoyable.

Now I must confess, I am going off memory when I say all this and I haven't played either game in a very long time. So I could be wrong about some of these things and who knows, maybe the nostalgia will hit me harder than expected the next time I play them again. Still, while I don't dislike Burnout, my interest in either game is not what it once was.

Last edited:
Test Drive Unlimited.

Was for a time, my all-time favorite car game. I recently re-installed it with the mods to make it run properly on modern OS, and now it just feels so clunky and simple. I wish, I wouldn't have tried it again, and just left it at my memories.

Test Drive Unlimited.

Was for a time, my all-time favorite car game. I recently re-installed it with the mods to make it run properly on modern OS, and now it just feels so clunky and simple. I wish, I wouldn't have tried it again, and just left it at my memories.

It makes me laugh that people think that TDU Solar Crown is legitimately going to challenge Forza Horizon or whatever. You're telling me that a sequel to a long dormant series, by a company that is more or less only known for one thing (that they're quickly going to lose in a year or two) and being bankrolled by a mid level publisher house at best is going to challenge Microsoft and Playground's efforts in any way? Hell, that they think they are going to realistically challenge Ubisoft and Ivory Tower, which is probably closer to their level considering The Crew is the spiritual successor to TDU? Yeah right.

Admittedly, I still think TDU 1 has merits, but this is what happens when you look at games that were obviously good ideas, but hampered by differing factors (in TDU1's case, lack of funds and general Eurojanky-ness) in that they don't usually come out looking better fifteen or so years later. And ultimately, this is what makes discussion of pieces of media, games especially considering the interactivity of them, worthwhile instead of simply giving in to fuzzy feelings of nostalgia.

Like @Mr Fahrenheit, I used to love PvP multiplayer, I was even in a sort of clan in Battlefield Bad Company 2, BF3 and BF4, but the clan more or less dissolved because a) one of the founders was a "closet" racist who didn't like me, but because I was more fun to play with (he was a tryhard uninterested in teamwork) most of the clan was on my side, then when things came to a head we left and the clan went from about 20 members to five (they didn't all leave because I was kicked out, I think after it became apparent that a large chunk would leave if I was kicked out they decided to boot everyone who wasn't a founder to save face) and b) after the split, the 6 or 7 people I used to play with slowly peeled off one by one because BF4 just wasn't good. Then when you're not getting a full squad of friends to play with anymore it stops being fun entirely. I remember trying everything - playing big maps with randoms without any communication or coordination, playing Operation Locker free for all with pistols only, I tried only using flying vehicles, sniping, being a medic... None of it was as fun as dominating Kharg Island as a balanced squad, we were pretty much unkillable.

The last PvP shooter I tried was PUBG, I had some friends who played and I thought I'd join in but I just really didn't like it, the guns and shooting aspect didn't feel good and it felt like it was going to take ages to improve because I was losing almost every encounter with another player. Oh and I also tried Doom Eternal's awful PvP maybe three times.

After that I just lost interest in PvP, I still like to play PvE from time to time but it's been probably a couple of years since I played anything but Forza Horizon 4 in any serious quantity. Insurgency, Day of Infamy, Call of Duty: MW's Spec Ops mode (which wasn't good), Payday 2, Rainbow Six 3 and Vegas 1&2... The fact that I mostly play with a controller now probably doesn't help but I do have the option of using a mouse, I just don't feel like it.

Crash Bandicoot 1.
Grew up playing a demo of the game as a kid and eventually got the game itself in 2006 and played it some. Initially I thought it was pretty interesting and played it a bit before stopping for unknown reasons shortly after. Eventually I gave it another go when I found out The N' Sane Trilogy was coming out and once again, I initially enjoyed it once more, but it went downhill afterward. As I kept playing, I found the controls to be very finicky and often struggled to do even the simplest things at times. I knew Crash was a little harder control than Crash 2, but man I didn't think it was this bad! Not only that, but the levels themselves just got to where they were way too hard the longer I played it and I just did not enjoy playing it anymore. I did eventually beat it with the help of an emulator and some save states since I was prepping for the release of the The N' Sane Trilogy, but I can't say I enjoyed it.

I am a long time Crash fan and I don't dislike the game, but I can't say I love it either. The visuals still look good and I know it was the first in the series, I know it's supposed to be challenging, but the controls have aged very badly and the game is just WAY too hard to be enjoyable for me and it's not one I'd be tempted to play again.

Last edited:
Shift 2: Unleashed.
Back in the day when it was released, when I did not have a single Forza title, I felt that it was a solid racer that could rival GT5 in some way and had a decent selection of cars (especially that I loved the idea of "works conversion" - similar to Gran Turismo's race modifications, not to mention the FIA GT1/GT3 cars).

However, nowadays I realized that the physics are not very user friendly, and when I discovered Forza (with Motorsport 4 as my first Forza title), it became clear to me that Shift 2: Unleashed was almost irrelevant for me as it had far more cars, nicer physics and much better gameplay modes and mechanics.

I think most current 2-D platformers that are punishing for the sake of being punishing instead of fun have turned me off from the genre. I wish I could replay Super Metroid, which had the perfect balance of challenge/fun.

Burnout 3 Takedown and Burnout Revenge.
Got these games for the PS2 a very long time ago and for a while, I really enjoyed them. (Burnout 3 especially) However, as time went on, I became less and less interested with them until I eventually couldn't find much reason to play them anymore. From what I remember, it seemed like I got constantly annoyed with the collision detection falsely detecting such minor things as a crash, like lightly tapping a wall or sideswiping, when they really shouldn't be. That stupid crash cam that would show every time it happens certainly didn't help either. Like, I get crashes is what Burnout is about, but geez.

Another thing I can remember is it seemed like both games had some challenges that got too hard later on and with what I said above, it oftentimes ruined my mood to play them. I didn't really like either games art style much either. Not really sure how to explain it, I just never really liked how they looked. Then their was NFS, which not only had several games I was into back then, but they were also putting out games at the time that later became favorites of mine. Which eventually led to my interest in NFS overshadowing Burnout for me and I just found what NFS was doing at the time to be much more enjoyable.

Now I must confess, I am going off memory when I say all this and I haven't played either game in a very long time. So I could be wrong about some of these things and who knows, maybe the nostalgia will hit me harder than expected the next time I play them again. Still, while I don't dislike Burnout, my interest in either game is not what it once was.
Endgame Burnout 3 is punishing. I never finished the final indy car races. The crash replays which were once a fun reprieve become insulting.

You should try Burnout Dominator PSP. The collision detection in that game is much more forgiving, plus the burnout chain mechanic returns making the game more interesting. It is also easier to emulate upscaled than Burnout 3.

Last edited:
Endgame Burnout 3 is punishing. I never finished the final indy car races. The crash replays which were once a fun reprieve become insulting.
I can remember struggling with some indy car time trial once, but I think I eventually beat it. To my knowledge, the Oval Circuit Racer was one I never could get, though I don't remember why other than it's requirements being too hard for me.
You should try Burnout Dominator PSP. The collision detection in that game is much more forgiving, plus the burnout chain mechanic returns making the game much more interesting. It is also much easier to emulate upscaled than Burnout 3.
You're not the first tell me that either, wasn't too long ago someone else told me this. If I ever see it I may give it a go.

On another note, I got to thinking after posting about that, while the racing aspect may have put me off later on, one thing about Burnout I don't think I ever got tired of was the crash mode. Seems like I remember having more fun with it than the actual racing at times, however the fact I got it done and dusted and ran out of crash mode challenges may have been why I didn't do them anymore after I quit playing both games. In fact, if I was to revisit one of them, that would likely be my first choice.

Last edited:
I can remember struggling with some indy car time trial once, but I think I eventually beat it. To my knowledge, the Oval Circuit Racer was one I never could get, though I don't remember why other than it's requirements being too hard for me.
You're not the first tell me that either, wasn't too long ago someone else told me this. If I ever see it I may give it a go.

On another note, I got to thinking after posting about that, while the racing aspect may have put me off later on, if theirs one thing about Burnout I don't think I ever got tired of was the crash mode. Seems like I remember having more fun with it than the actual racing at times, however the fact I got it done and dusted and ran out crash mode challenges may have been why I didn't do them anymore after I quit playing both games. In fact, if I was to revisit one of them, that would likely be my first choice.
If crash mode is your jam then maybe Dominator is not for you. The main reason Dominator is not so highly rated is that crash mode is missing.

Shift 2: Unleashed.
Back in the day when it was released, when I did not have a single Forza title, I felt that it was a solid racer that could rival GT5 in some way and had a decent selection of cars (especially that I loved the idea of "works conversion" - similar to Gran Turismo's race modifications, not to mention the FIA GT1/GT3 cars).

However, nowadays I realized that the physics are not very user friendly, and when I discovered Forza (with Motorsport 4 as my first Forza title), it became clear to me that Shift 2: Unleashed was almost irrelevant for me as it had far more cars, nicer physics and much better gameplay modes and mechanics.
Shift 2 still has one thing that I think no other track racer has done better, a genuine fear of crashing. I would love if a modern game tried to capture this same feeling.

Back