What are the best drift tires?

• Thread starter wrapture
  • 72 comments
I've thought about it, but the idea of sliding on a terrible tire doesn't interest me much. It's still something I honestly do not understand at all.

Also, you ask if I understand tandem. Fairly sure a couple of photos of me literally putting my mirror into someones door around a corner means I understand fully what it is. Please do not talk like I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm fairly sure my background and occupation are credentials enough for what I'm saying. Don't mean any hostility in that, just saying facts.
Ok suit yourself, but that fact of the matter still stands, most of the pro-level drifters in GT5 use comfort hards. At some point, if you're serious about drifting, you will want to enter a competition or join a team, and unfortunately for you that probably means learning how to use CH.

mikeonthebike
I'm not sure what drift rooms you have been in that are running CH and not starting till the middle of the first turn drifting.
People on CH Reverse Entry into the first corner of Tsukuba and typically LINK UP the whole track other than the strait, and SOME link the whole track as well as many other tracks.

it's all in the tuning and many 600hp cars can drift fast and with high angle on CH tires setup right, and your levin is naturally fast on CH because Mass, momentum and inertia play major rolls. Levin has less mass, meaning less momentum and less inertia....more grip.

I didn't mean to say everyone is like that, but a lot are. I've seen some mighty great drifters on CH tires. I only use them for lower HP cars like my Trueno/Levin and they taught me how to drift better on my Sports in my higher HP Cars. Now I get angle and Speed in my drifts.

Ok suit yourself, but that fact of the matter still stands, most of the pro-level drifters in GT5 use comfort hards. At some point, if you're serious about drifting, you will want to enter a competition or join a team, and unfortunately for you that probably means learning how to use CH.

I'm the leader of a team that just drifts for the fun of drifting. I don't understand why people label themselves as "pro-level" in a video game though. Oh well.

I didn't mean to say everyone is like that, but a lot are. I've seen some mighty great drifters on CH tires. I only use them for lower HP cars like my Trueno/Levin and they taught me how to drift better on my Sports in my higher HP Cars. Now I get angle and Speed in my drifts.

Keep working on tunes and you'll eventually learn to love ch on high horsepower cars. Grip is available on comfort hards. Ive driven a lot and owned a few high horsepower cars in real life and sports tires (not street legal track tires, but honest street purposed sports tires) in real life are deff comparable to comfort hard tires in GT5 in my opinon .

500 hp sports type cars in real life if you literally floor it from a dead stop (auto) or rev and dump the clutch from a stop it will BURN the tires till YOU DECIDE to stop burning out. That's where my realism comes from with comfort hards on gt5.

I've drifted stock miatas in real life and it takes more entry speed because of combating low hp and light weight and the angle is lower because of less horsepower, lighter car and more grip and higher speed. kinda like how you said your Levin is fast on comfort hards.

Again Not True. You need Grip in Drifting to control the car while it drifts just like Gymkhana.
On the contrary, me and many others in this community can easily "control" our cars on CH to make it slide where we desire, as kissing clipping points and staying in the right line (in competitions for example) calls for you to be very precise with your car.

To say you NEED that grip to control your car sufficiently is not true, stickier tires merely aid you in that control, they aren't a necessity.

*facepalms* I thought this issue was done yet then again, we are talking about drifters on GTP. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's not what you use, its how you use it. Most of my drifting is done with CH tyres because they're the tyres I prefer. Recently I used SH tyres on my Shelby mustang. On CH it was very edgy and wasn't able to link up corners very well. On SH it drifted like a GT86 and because of the large ammount of torque it got plenty of angle and speed.

mikeonthebike
Keep working on tunes and you'll eventually learn to love ch on high horsepower cars. Grip is available on comfort hards. Ive driven a lot and owned a few high horsepower cars in real life and sports tires (not street legal track tires, but honest street purposed sports tires) in real life are deff comparable to comfort hard tires in GT5 in my opinon .

500 hp sports type cars in real life if you literally floor it from a dead stop (auto) or rev and dump the clutch from a stop it will BURN the tires till YOU DECIDE to stop burning out. That's where my realism comes from with comfort hards on gt5.

I've drifted stock miatas in real life and it takes more entry speed because of combating low hp and light weight and the angle is lower because of less horsepower, lighter car and more grip and higher speed. kinda like how you said your Levin is fast on comfort hards.

That's different....As an Owner of a 1985 Corolla GT-S hatchback and Drifter i know all to well that to combat Low HP you have to enter fast with cars like Miatas and corolla's and like I said I use comfort compound tires on my Levin on GT5 and In fact I use stock tires in real life at club 4ag drift days because for one they are cheaper and don't run down as quick as Sports. They also are a learning tool as the lack of grip forces the driver to learn throttle control and precise line taking. Now I'm buying doubles of my drift cars to leave stock and I'll drift those on CH Tires.

K1ngKlicK
On the contrary, me and many others in this community can easily "control" our cars on CH to make it slide where we desire, as kissing clipping points and staying in the right line (in competitions for example) calls for you to be very precise with your car.

To say you NEED that grip to control your car sufficiently is not true, stickier tires merely aid you in that control, they aren't a necessity.

Well at least I do. When I get sideways at over 60 mph I like to control where i'm going and CH tires on my 347 HP RX-7 just doesn't cut it for me. Its whatever works for you.....We can all talk about it but better would be to Drift together, that's the only way to judge it. Either you drift or can't end of story.......

Although you don't realize it without traction you wouldn't even get you're car going........ Traction is required for all types of modern road racing. Fact is that without traction you can't drift.. you're front wheels would do nothing, Comfort hard tires are simply low traction.

Although you don't realize it without traction you wouldn't even get you're car going........ Traction is required for all types of modern road racing. Fact is that without traction you can't drift.. you're front wheels would do nothing, Comfort hard tires are simply low traction.
I didn't say CH had no traction, of course they do (to some extent) but as I said, stickier tires give you more traction (i.e making it easier to control).

Alike most people here though, my first and only choice is CH, because when everybody uses different tires it gets messy. If everybody uses CH, it's level playing grounds.

Latest Posts

Back