What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 31,974 comments
GoGo Penguin, a modern jazz trio from Manchester, UK are premiering their album live on YouTube. It's almost over, but you can listen on Spotify or anywhere else right now

For any Rory Gallagher fans like myself WDR Rockpalast have uploaded some great 70's concert footage of his over the last few days.

Edit: I just checked my YouTube favourite channels and Eagle Rock have got a new (old, 1970) Taste video up. I own this on bluray and love it! This made me wonder, and sure enough, it's the anniversary of his death. RIP Rory :(

Last edited:

This is one of my absolute favorite albums ever. Boomtown was possibly the greatest critique of the '80 to actually come out of the '80s. It amazes me that Ricketts and Baerwald did just this one album together and that was it.

@Naveek Darkroom I seem to recall you mentioning Transatlantic some time ago; did you discover Roine Stolt and The Flower Kings through that or more organically, simply through prog-dom?

Since working from home, I've been listening to music way more than I normally would. Currently I'm on a bit of a Synthwave kick.

@Naveek Darkroom I seem to recall you mentioning Transatlantic some time ago; did you discover Roine Stolt and The Flower Kings through that or more organically, simply through prog-dom?

Probably. I'd check out Transatlantic but I can't really find their stuff on streaming. So I might as well check out the parent bands. I already knew of Dream Theater. I'd check oit Spock's Beard more but I can't find the albums with Neal Morse unless I wanted a physical copy or if I resorted to less legal means. Not sure what Marillion is like.

Last edited:
Probably. I'd check out Transatlantic but I can't really find their stuff on streaming. So I might as well check out the parent bands. I already knew of Dream Theater. I'd check oit Spock's Beard more but I can't find the albums with Neal Morse unless I wanted a physical copy or if I resorted to less legal means. Not sure what Marillion is like.
Gotcha.

Marillion is neo-prog. When they're at their best, they walk the line between pop rock and prog rock not entirely unlike Rush.

Seasons End is my top pick from them, but I also thoroughly enjoy Misplaced Childhood.

Gotcha.

Marillion is neo-prog. When they're at their best, they walk the line between pop rock and prog rock not entirely unlike Rush.

Seasons End is my top pick from them, but I also thoroughly enjoy Misplaced Childhood.

Would it also be fair to compare Marillion to eighties Genesis? I only know a couple of Rush albums.

Would it also be fair to compare Marillion to eighties Genesis? I only know a couple of Rush albums.
There's much more of a rock element in Marillion, where even the earliest of the '80s Genesis, like Duke and Abacab, skewed much more pop. I'd say the prog elements in the two are comparable, though.

Okay
There's much more of a rock element in Marillion, where even the earliest of the '80s Genesis, like Duke and Abacab, skewed much more pop. I'd say the prog elements in the two are comparable, though.
Okay. I mentioned Genesis because even after supposedly going full pop they still continued to do the occasional longer album track.

Missing the Ex........................................Check.
Worry about the Ex under lockdown.....Check.
Whiskey...................................................Check.
Wine........................................................Check.
Lager.......................................................Check.

Seems like is time for some...

absolute fatality punch to liver and heart... Check.

Back