What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 31,969 comments
I was listening to Selling England By the Pound, but I don't think the batteries were as charged as I thought cause the CD player died halfway through Cinema Show.

A lost gem unreleased until 2015, this 1965 Gold Star Studio recoding features genius-level lyrics co-written by Harry Nilsson and vocals by Veronica Bennet, whose unique voice penetrates the Wall of Sound like cosmic rays. Why wasn't it released? Maybe it was half a minute over the Top 40 standard for length, but equally likely is the quirky madness of the producer.

I've been listening to a lot of music on YouTube while working. One channel I've really been enjoying lately is Indie and Folk Radio. They have some excellent compilations, like this Dream Pop/Lo-Fi Indie set from April of last year.

Given that there exists a novelization I'm surprised they haven't tried to turn this into a movie yet. The lyrics that come with the CDs are already written like a screenplay. And given that one person plays multiple characters you'll probably need to read along with the "screenplay" to understand what's going on.

"Drove downtown in the rain 9:30 on a Tuesday night
just to check out the late night record shop."
That's me in a nutshell. Too bad there aren't any late night record shops any more.

Okay, I admit it, girl groups are one of my many weaknesses. I'll get a stiffy, burst into tears, or have some other emotional reaction. There are many female artists and girl groups to choose from. I prefer the direct appeal. Here's two to choose from singing the same seductive tune.

For the musicologists in the house

I saw him at Seattle's Bumbershoot Festival in 1990. I didn't have money for a ticket, and parking was impossible around the Seattle Center during Bumbershoot. I worked as a delivery driver for a bakery at the time, so I solved both problems by borrowing a delivery van and driving it through the vendor entrance. I was able to park and enjoy several shows including Richard Thompson's.

Because I just mentioned this version elsewhere, but also because I love it so very much.

Last edited:
Back