What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 31,974 comments

I walked past Stuart Murdoch and his wife in Partick this afternoon... never been a huge fan, but they are a superb live band and they have a very tight sound. Murdoch is also something of a cult figure, but seems like a genuinely good guy, and his music is deceptively simple and catchy. He used to (and maybe still does) own a recording studio just about 200 yards from my flat...

I really do enjoy Belle & Sebastian, "Stay Loose" being my introduction to the band. I think that was their biggest success here before "I Want The World To Stop" came around. "Like Dylan In The Movies" is a fantastic tune; pure pop perfection.

I also really love "The Loneliness Of A Middle Distance Runner."

I wasn't a big fan of Belle and Sebastian, but a guy that used to work in the same lab as me was playing 'The Boy With The Arab Strap' album in the lab one day, and I remarked on it. He was delighted that someone else knew who they were, and we got chatting... (bearing in mind we never said a word to each other prior to that.) Turns out that was the spark that started a long and very strong friendship... I was even his Best Man at his wedding, and I also visited him in Italy and he took me to the Italian Grand Prix. We are still in touch to this day, and he was a key friend who got me started in music recording.

He was a friend of the band and even ran his own B&S themed nightclub events in a basement bar in London, and I DJ'd there a couple of times, the only condition being that I played at least one B&S track. The club was called Tigermilking, and it was great fun - even though he rarely, if ever, made a profit from the night. My favourite memory was one night when they screwed up the sound system, and as compensation, they let a select few of us know that the beer tap in the room was actually live and that the organisers (including me) could help themselves to free beer. My mate Stuart got so drunk he fell off the stage.

His website with some vintage photos is still there, and the website is unusually poignant for a really awful reason... the next club night was organised by some of his friends, including a girl called Liz. Tragically, just over a week before the club night (that the website still advertises), she was murdered by a suicide bomber on the London Underground.

I only ever met her a couple of times (at Tigermilking) but I was friendly with her boyfriend, Rob. I wrote a song in her memory and posted it on SoundCloud, and it features photography by fellow GTPlaneteer, @F1GTR

Last edited:
After recently buying the Blu-ray version of Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder I decided to watch it again last night. What an amazing band, their music just never gets old :bowdown:

This YouTube clip doesn't do it justice but the gist of it is there.

@Touring Mars I enjoyed the tune. I'm uncomfortable "liking" the post given the unfortunate tale, which I suspect you can understand.

Not sure if I'd said anything, but I gave your stuff a listen a while back when you linked to it in your signature. I really liked one track in particular that I can't recall fully at the moment, and Spotify is being...weird...but I think it had a parenthetical, and maybe there was something about "this will end badly"? And there was another about Hollywood. I'll try to find actual names if I can.

[Edit] Found the songs on Soundcloud; "Only Bad Things (Will Come of This)" and "In Hollywood."

Last edited:
Referenced this elsewhere on the forum recently and now it's in my head. I don't mind...Warren Ellis is fantastic on violin.

Back