What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 31,973 comments
Laurence Mason
A little tribute to Dave Greenfield (keyboardist with The Stranglers who died with Covid-19 last week) and Paul Desmond (saxophonist with the Dave Brubeck quartet - the anniversary of his death is at the end of this month). Also because I've been enjoying editing videos and recording stuff over the last couple of months. A couple of people have asked how I made this video so here we go - I took a clip from a 1964 live version of Take Five (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh...) and made the drum loop by chopping up the intro and turning it from 5/4 into the 3/4 - 4/4 groove that Golden Brown has. The upright bass sound is sequenced from Logic, and the piano part was played in using one of the piano sounds from a Nord Electro 5D. Then I played the sax part over the top (I play a King Zephyr alto and for this I used a hard rubber Yanigasawa mouthpiece rather than my usual bright Guardala). The video was then edited using the clip I'd taken the drum loop from.
That's what.

For someone like me who likes both Brubeck and The Stranglers, this is a really clever piece of audio and video editing.
I really enjoyed that. I got her debut years ago for the Bowie cover and enjoyed other stuff on it, but I may have to dig deeper into her stuff.
I just gave the album a listen for the first time. Instant purchase from me. Some beautiful melodic basslines from Tyler Wood.

Last edited:
Dammit. I knew Tanya's birthday was coming up, so I made a mental note and then blanked when the 14th rolled around. I just heard the second song below and remembered.

Well...happy belated 55th birthday, Tanya Donelly. You ****ing rock.

Back