What Are You Working On/Doing Right Now? (General)

• Thread starter superberkut
  • 1,056 comments
I decided it was time to clean the carpet again so I moved everything out of the living room, vacuumed it, carpet cleaned everything twice and let it dry. Now I'm trying to get motivated to move all of the furniture back in.

That part's not going so well. :lol:

A quick and dirty race poster for our FM4 racing group:

clmslm.png

Bump.

I'm building a boombox from recycled plywood, scavenged car speakers, homemade TDA1552Q amp and a 7 dollar mp3 module.

cam00208l.jpg

cam00207rs.jpg

So far there's only the two speakers and the module in the box. The VHS case on bottlecaps is the 2x20W chip amp I built when I was 15 or so, I'll reuse it and tuck it in the box. Maybe it'll be portable if I find a suitable battery.

I'm turning the block of a blown 350 into a coffee table. This picture is from when I first got it. I had already removed the heads and oil pan. The only thing left on it now is the crankshaft and camshaft. Once I take those off it will go to be sandblasted and coated.

A paper mache 'thing'. I can't say what it is because it isn't finished yet. It's been too long since I've attempted one of these. Luckily I still remember what Neil Buchanan from Art Attack said. "Mix equal parts of water with PVA glue and stick on strips of toilet paper." lol. Pointless I know, considering I'm doing engineering at college. But that's what I do, pointless things.

Maybe we should make a new thread "GTP's DIY corner" or something like that? Like the "Show off your latest purchase" thread, only for stuff that people make themselves?

Trying to study for a molecular cell biology exam that's tomorrow at 8am. I think I'm just going to have to wing it based on what I already know. Procrastination sucks when you're obligated to attend 3 birthday dinners.

^ :lol: Not too much, or you will end up like your avatar there. ;)

I'm currently singing Queensryche. Walk in the Shadows to be precise, and any singer (who has tried it) will tell you, it ain't no easy song to sing... I think. It's taken a long time of technique building and general practice, but I'm there now (maybe not quite... No, I'm not actually there, but I'm closer than I was before). Always improving... Though I should really be practicing the Avantasia song I chose for performance assessment... Which is coming up I think. Might do some other school work soon...

Did you really believe me about the school work!?

Trying to study for a molecular cell biology exam that's tomorrow at 8am. I think I'm just going to have to wing it based on what I already know. Procrastination sucks when you're obligated to attend 3 birthday dinners.

Winged it. The degree to which I was successful remains to be seen, however.

I had this as a kid, and like a kid I just simply build it with runner bits sticking out and panel gaps as wide as oceans. :scared:
So I decided to rebuild it to make it look somewhat 'professional'. I had no idea what I was doing. :lol:
Only thing left now is a clear coat. :D

As you can see, missing parts, broken parts, I was a kid when I first had this and now its 'battle scarred'. :sly:

Day 5 on spreading my sheet everywhere.

By that, I mean working on spreadsheets. Get your mind out of the gutter.

I'm turning the block of a blown 350 into a coffee table. This picture is from when I first got it. I had already removed the heads and oil pan. The only thing left on it now is the crankshaft and camshaft. Once I take those off it will go to be sandblasted and coated.

Nice idea! I always wanted to do something like that. No plans to rebuild it eh?

^ :lol: Not too much, or you will end up like your avatar there. ;)

I'm currently singing Queensryche. Walk in the Shadows to be precise, and any singer (who has tried it) will tell you, it ain't no easy song to sing... I think. It's taken a long time of technique building and general practice, but I'm there now (maybe not quite... No, I'm not actually there, but I'm closer than I was before). Always improving... Though I should really be practicing the Avantasia song I chose for performance assessment... Which is coming up I think. Might do some other school work soon...

Did you really believe me about the school work!?

Can you please make a YouTube video of this?

I found my old Apache attack helicopter kit which I ruined when I was a kid, so I decided to take what's left of it and 'upgrade' this into an abomination. Gundam fans look away! :ill:

^'Upgraded'.

^2x 70mm Hydra rocket pods. (On each arm)

^6x Hellfire missiles. (On the chest) (Totally not Striker Eureka)

^1x 30mm Chain Gun. (On the crotch)

^2x General Electric turboshafts. (On the back)

I wanna see a completed photo :D

What am I working on?

An essay. Boring. Doing it half blind as well as I broke my glasses. Then I need to revise for a Japanese test tomorrow.

Instead of paying a lawn service company $80 to dethatch my lawn, last year I bought my own electric dethatcher for $150. Problem is it was back ordered for two months so by the time it was delivered, it was too late to use it without ripping up the grass I wanted to keep.

So as to not miss that window again, I started working on it tonight. In about an hour, I got 1/2 of my front yard done. And in the process removed 90 gallons (3 - 32 gallon garbage cans) of thatch and dead grass. I'm guessing it'll take another 5 hours and 450 gallons to finish the lawn.

That $80 is looking pretty good right about now. :lol:

Day 5 on spreading my sheet everywhere.

By that, I mean working on spreadsheets. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Excuse me? :lol:

Well I'm working on going down to sleep but its too hard to do. I'm writing on here and watching "The Book of Eli" for some reason. I'll do anything to beat boredom it seems. When I should be asleep. Working on doing Kate Beckinsale, uh oh I mean meeting her, obviously is what I meant, obviously.. :)

Last edited:
TB
I'm guessing it'll take another 5 hours and 450 gallons to finish the lawn.
The 5 hours was about right but the final tally was 380 gallons. That's still a damn lot of dead grass and thatch! Took me 4 trips to the recycle center to dump the cans three at a time. And one garbage bag. :P

I'm exhausted. Sleep is going to feel spectacular tonight.

TB
The 5 hours was about right but the final tally was 380 gallons. That's still a damn lot of dead grass and thatch! Took me 4 trips to the recycle center to dump the cans three at a time. And one garbage bag. :P

I'm exhausted. Sleep is going to feel spectacular tonight.

Good work, holy cow! I really dislike yard work, so I would have gladly paid that $80 for someone to do it.

How big is your yard anyways?

Trying to remove stickers off of a car bumper.

Tried WD-40, doesn't seem to be working even after I let it sit for an hour (like I was told.) Might need the heat gun...

How big is your yard anyways?
The property is about 80' x 140'. The issue(s) are that the dethatcher's bag is tiny so you can only go about 40' before it's full. I would have just left the bag off and come through with the lawnmower but there were 40mph winds so I don't think my neighbors would have liked their houses covered with huge piles of dead grass. :lol:

Trying to remove stickers off of a car bumper.

Tried WD-40, doesn't seem to be working even after I let it sit for an hour (like I was told.) Might need the heat gun...

You could try a tiny drop of petrol, but that might also take off some paint.
A hair dryer or heat gun is probably your best bet.

Procrastinating. I should be writing a speech, but instead I'm watching the latest Regular Car Review and browsing GTPlanet.

Im working on learning how to correctly bend the 2nd hole of a harmonica. Its the only key I can't bend fluently.

If you don't know what bending is, it is a method of making more than 2 notes out of a single hole by changing the airflow into that hole causing the reed to produce a different sound. In order to do this you have to force your throat and tongue into an unnatural position which is a difficult process to learn. It took me a whole year to figure it out.
The 2nd hole is the only one I have yet to master.

Back