What cars, in your view, are pointless?

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 251 comments
All electric cars. They will never be as practical, fast, or enjoyable to drive as a real car. I hope all electric cars die in a fire

The Tesla Model S is practical and fast. Enjoyment with a car is subjective, but given they feel like a normal car, I'm guessing when you push it, it's not too bad. I've only briefly driven one and it wasn't in a spirited manner, so I can't say for sure.

The Chevy Bolt is also not a bad little car. My best friend has one and rather enjoys it. This is also coming from a guy who primarily buys BMW's too.

All electric cars. They will never be as practical, or enjoyable to drive as a real car and they will always sound like complete trash. I hope all electric cars die in a fire

Assuming you're not trolling, electric cars are already as practical as regular cars for a lot of people in Europe. I can't speak for the US as the size difference might make them less of a viable purchase until you get to Tesla ranges.

A colleague of mine commutes to and from work in an electric vehicle and it's quieter, more refined and cheaper to run (it's practically free to run as he charges it for free at work) than an ICE vehicle. As for being fun they're often more fun than ICE cars due to the instant torque and low center of gravity.

Faster than ICE cars? Easily.

As practical as an ICE car? We're not quite there yet, but it'll happen eventually.

Enjoyable? Subjective. I feel like the "EVs don't make sound" argument is gonna pop up.

Dying in a fire? ICE cars already do that so there's nothing new to report here.

Old man Bolton who lived across the street once told me that all cars over two liters are pointless.

Over decades of driving, I have owned cars ranging from 0.7 liters to 7 liters. I have raced, towed, commuted, hooned, and travelled across the continent. I have to admit old man Bolton had a point.

Man, that's a wayback playback. Solid White & Nerdy impression in here.

I think either one of these qualifies now:

upload_2018-3-27_11-52-45.png

upload_2018-3-27_11-53-15.png

What is the purpose of an SUV?

Its in the name Sir. Most of them can't go off road (like a Land Rover or true dedicated 4x4 with hi/lo gears etc). They aren't very utilitarian as a result they are clumsy huge behemoths that guzzle fuel are high up and stupidly wide to name a few glaringly obvious points and they are about as sporty as a dog turd. Yet another pointless exercise from the motor industry. They weigh as much as a bus. School runs for those fearing the apocalypse or keeping up with the joneses :cheers:

Its in the name Sir. Most of them can't go off road (like a Land Rover or true dedicated 4x4 with hi/lo gears etc).
The implication being the S[port] denotes offroad capability? Maybe.

That said, all three I've owned have been capable of handling moderate offroad excursions, and the most recent [and current daily driver] is a mere crossover. The Grand Cherokee (ZJ), my first "SUV," was immensely capable in all offroad situations it encountered, including slogging a horse trailer through a partially flooded corral when a 4wd diesel F250 normally used to haul said trailer proved incapable.

aren't very utilitarian
Two of the three I've owned (the aforementioned GC and a Honda Pilot) have possessed greater cabin height than a wagon that so many say should be gotten instead of an SUV, and that feature has proven invaluable, with some objects just barely clearing the roof (thereby ruling a wagon out). The ZDX, however, does not, but a Mazda5 and a Ford Connect (that replaced the Mazda) have filled the need.

stupidly wide
weigh as much as a bus
Not all SUVs possess the proportions of a Ford Excursion. The Honda and the current Acura sure don't, and the Grand Cherokee was narrower than a Dodge Challenger and lighter than a V6 version of that very car despite it possessing the 5.2L Magnum V8.

I think this is already mentioned but....

Ford Flex

38277730001_original.jpg

The only time i ever see one of these is being used by a taxi company over here in Bahrain, most people would go for the Expedition instead. I'm still surprised they still sell the Flex, not that i have any problems with that but kinda feels pointless.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Flex was basically a continuation of the Taurus X, but modified to accept flex fuels. I also think that it targeted a market larger than an Escape, but smaller than an Explorer, and in a wagon style.

Hundreds of thousands of people for the first generation.
For a truck, that's pretty lousy. On average, the 1st-gen Avalanche sold 70-75k units per year. The GMT800 Silverado, however, sold nine times that amount most years. GMT800 Suburbans were selling around 150k annually while Tahoes were at 200k. Obviously, the Avalanche wasn't the money maker of the GMT800 family. Even the Escalade outsold it some years.

The person who wanted the running gear and much better driving manners of a Suburban but at least most of the load ability of a Silverado.
That demographic wasn't large enough apparently based on sales figures.

An Avalanche had a (locking, covered) 5 foot bed that you could occasionally put 8 foot things in so long as they would fit between the wheel wells of a normal truck and through the midgate.
The Silverado 1500 Extended Cab had a wider 8 foot bed with horrible interior utilization while riding worse and being 10 inches longer.
The Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab had a wider 6.5 foot bed that you could not put 8 foot things in at all, while riding much worse and being 10 inches longer.
The Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab had a wider 8 foot bed while riding much much worse and being over 2 feet longer.
This seems to be the Avalanche's only advantage over (certain trims) of the Silverado. In my observation at least, it doesn't seem like the typical Silverado buyer seemed to be too bothered by poor interior space and even a lackluster bed. One could buy a Silverado for far cheaper than an Avalanche, which was obviously selling point. GM has basically proven that you couldn't get the best of both worlds here, and no matter what GMT800 truck you bought you'd end up sacrificing something.

And that is why Chevrolet rushed a version with no cladding to the market halfway through the second model year."​
I bet it sounds nitpicky saying this, but it still was an ugly duckling.

No, the XUV (an underdeveloped and overly complicated answer to a question that no one asked, as was par for the course for "innovative" ideas with GM at the time) was the pointless one of the two, which is probably why it flopped and was withdrawn after a year on the market. It had the interior space of an Envoy with the footprint of an Envoy XL (which was itself already a questionable design compared to the Tahoe GM already sold) and you paid extra for the pleasure.​
I have to disagree here. As complicated and silly as it was, an XUV still seems more useful than an Avalanche. It had the same basic idea (combining the versatility and interior space of an SUV with the bed space of a truck), but was more purposeful. An XUV could be used as a family SUV, while that is not the case for the Avalanche. An enclosed bed made was a plus as well; the XUV could haul good amounts of stuff, yet still look mostly indistinguishable from an Envoy XL. Also, if ride quality and amenities were a priority, the XUV is still the way to go; it drove better, and could be equipped more lavishly than an Avalanche.

If you really want to talk about an extra-pointless GMT800 vehicle, that would be the Escalade EXT.

Nothing more than a standard Avalanche with a more premium badge, better equipment, and a significantly higher price tag. This was really the answer to the unasked question. The Lincoln Blackwood was comical to begin with, so why on earth would it need a competitor? Also, GM being GM, introduced the Sierra Denali the same year as the EXT, which was obviously the more sensible buy if you really wanted a luxurious truck, which not many people wanted in the first place.

The title of the thread is not "Turbo doesn't understand market conditions of the time periods he calls out cars as being pointless in."
Hence why the title of the thread is, "What cars, in your view, are pointless?".

Whether I have a deep understanding of the early 2000s market conditions or not, the Avalanche wasn't a successful truck.

The implication being the S[port] denotes offroad capability? Maybe.

That said, all three I've owned have been capable of handling moderate offroad excursions, and the most recent [and current daily driver] is a mere crossover. The Grand Cherokee (ZJ), my first "SUV," was immensely capable in all offroad situations it encountered, including slogging a horse trailer through a partially flooded corral when a 4wd diesel F250 normally used to haul said trailer proved incapable.

Two of the three I've owned (the aforementioned GC and a Honda Pilot) have possessed greater cabin height than a wagon that so many say should be gotten instead of an SUV, and that feature has proven invaluable, with some objects just barely clearing the roof (thereby ruling a wagon out). The ZDX, however, does not, but a Mazda5 and a Ford Connect (that replaced the Mazda) have filled the need.

Not all SUVs possess the proportions of a Ford Excursion. The Honda and the current Acura sure don't, and the Grand Cherokee was narrower than a Dodge Challenger and lighter than a V6 version of that very car despite it possessing the 5.2L Magnum V8.

Oh its you again ha ha bit of a loaded question ...you take exception to everything I say I forgot. Again read the post...not everywhere has 500 lane roads that are 60 ft wide in each lane like in 'Mericee or that are straight for that matter so they are useless. There seems to be a mindset with the drivers too ....get out of my way or die ha ha ha

Last edited:
Oh its you again ha ha bit of a loaded question ...you take exception to everything I say I forgot. Again read the post...not everywhere has 500 lane roads that are 60 ft wide in each lane like in 'Mericee or that are straight for that matter so they are useless. There seems to be a mindset with the drivers too ....get out of my way or die ha ha ha
What?

Well, I'm presently taking exception with only what you said about SUVs being pointless, and your basing those remarks on generalizations that frankly do not apply in countless instances. And you still haven't addressed my pointing out those misconceptions.

Are roads in "'Mericee" wider than those in Europe? Probably (assuming that's in reference to the United States), but vast expances of land were developed after the establishment of the automobile, so it makes sense that they would be capable of accommodating it. That certainly doesn't mean all roads have three or more traffic lanes going each way, but some do. Jealous?

As for the mentality of the drivers...well, yeah, there are indeed plenty of idiots on the road here, but they're too inattentive because of their smartphones to be worried about others who happen to be in their way. I've been to Europe on a couple of occasions, though. Have you been here? Maybe you have, but it's more likely for you to have witnessed life in, say, New York or Los Angeles; you probably didn't visit the South or the Midwest. Want to talk about that "get out of my way" mentality? I've been to Rome--would it be fair of me to assume that's the norm?

Are roads in "'Mericee" wider than those in Europe? Probably

Generally they are, yes. That hasn't stopped a guy I know from importing a Dodge Ram and driving it on a small island off the coast of the UK that is only 26 miles wide. :lol: Imagine one of those coming at you on roads like this

Suzuki X-90

I'll admit it, the thing's sorta cute, but that's all the X-90 has going for it. It's not at all practical, and off-road capability is virtuality nonexistent. With the Jimny being Suzuki's off-roader, and the Vitara being the cute, novelty compact SUV, I don't see why Suzuki made the X-90 to begin with.

Mercedes-Benz R 63 AMG

What could possibly the the point of a high-performance minivan? Maybe the folks at Mercedes thought that every model in the lineup needed a full-scale AMG package? Nevertheless, a 500-horsepower minivan that actually entered production makes me drool.

and off-road capability is virtuality nonexistent​
Dkfm6eOXsAAbrQj.jpg

IMGP6493005.jpg

x90-1.jpg

p827084114-3.jpg

Now I'm not saying it isn't pointless still, but it was still basically a first-gen Suzuki Vitara (/Geo Tracker) with the credibility that entails - body-on-frame, four-wheel drive, low-range transfer case etc. It's a set of suitable tyres away from being as capable as any other small Suzuki 4x4.

The bigger issue was that it was trying to blend two genres of car in a way that people weren't really ready for in the 90s. Small SUVs were only just becoming a thing and open-topped cars/sports cars were their own niche and doing quite nicely without also being off-roaders.

Now I'm not saying it isn't pointless still, but it was still basically a first-gen Suzuki Vitara (/Geo Tracker) with the credibility that entails - body-on-frame, four-wheel drive, low-range transfer case etc. It's a set of suitable tyres away from being as capable as any other small Suzuki 4x4.

The bigger issue was that it was trying to blend two genres of car in a way that people weren't really ready for in the 90s. Small SUVs were only just becoming a thing and open-topped cars/sports cars were their own niche and doing quite nicely without also being off-roaders.
To be fair, I got "nonexistent off-road capability" from a review I read for the X-90, but you're probably right.

This is a recurring trend with you and your opinions about cars. Don't build an opinion based on that of others.
I've never experienced an X-90 firsthand so I wouldn't have any clue of their actual off-road capability but I could tell by looking at one in its stock form it wouldn't be any Jimny. I brought up off road capabilities as a way to justify the car being pointless. Are you trying to imply that I should not trust other sources about how competent cars are?

They built it because they had good response to a concept car they showed off. They certainly wouldn't have been the first that decade to misread "positive vibes at a motor show" as "things people will actually spend money on."

Are you trying to imply that I should not trust other sources about how competent cars are?
I think he's saying you should put a bit more thought into things beyond repeating the very first thing that you see on the internet. The thread was dead for 8 months. It could have been dead for a few more seconds for you to type "X-90 off road" into Google.

They built it because they had good response to a concept car they showed off. They certainly wouldn't have been the first that decade to misread "positive vibes at a motor show" as "things people will actually spend money on."
That's been the case with many other cars, but that doesn't invalidate it from being pointless.

Are you trying to imply that I should not trust other sources about how competent cars are?

A bit more research would help to build a better picture of a car. Basing an opinion on a single review doesn't work. Edit. If that was the case, and we were all listening to Clarkson, all cars need more POWERRRRR.

A bit more research would help to build a better picture of a car. Basing an opinion on a single review doesn't work. Edit. If that was the case, and we were all listening to Clarkson, all carS need more POWERRRRR.
Fair enough, next time I'll be more diverse in my sources when I form an opinion a certain car.

Fair enough, next time I'll be more diverse in my sources when I form an opinion a certain car.

Imagine if @Slash was your main source, you'd be condemned to Fords only, forever. Or me as the main one. You would hate French cars. You'd hate them.

That's been the case with many other cars,
Yes, I acknowledged as much when I said "they certainly wouldn't have been the first that decade."

but that doesn't invalidate it from being pointless.
I'm struggling to see where I argued anything to that effect. Did you or did you not say "I don't see why Suzuki made the X-90 to begin with"?

Back