• 16 comments

What color should I paint my RSX?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Giancarlo

Totally new & improved!
Premium
Minus955
Hey everyone, I'm painting the RSX at the end of the summer. I was wondering if you guys could help me choose a color... I'm torn between:

Championship White:
181552_10150399000390459_873685458_17358258_1292301_n.jpg

Blue:
189487_10150399000545459_873685458_17358262_1307985_n.jpg

Or just re-do my current color, Desert Silver:
73647_594347103532_205101402_33766460_5914152_n.jpg

Last edited:
Always, always always liked blues...though Red is Honda's racing color.

I'm not a fan of the RSX red. And I'm hoping to use factory paint.
501902842_1_B.jpg

What's wrong with the current paint?

You can't see from that horrible picture, but my clearcoat's basically gone. If it costs only a few hundred more dollars to change the paint completely (over just replacing the clearcoat), I may just do that.

If I were you I wouldn't go for a paint job that only costs a few hundred dollars - you probably won't be happy with the results. If you want a legit job you'll be looking at more like $1500.

Have you considered getting the paint professionally detailed? If the clearcoat isn't actually chipping then it's still there, probably just oxidized. All the fancy chemicals and polishes that a pro detailer would use could bring old paint back to life for a couple hundred dollars.

If the paint is actually chipping off then that's another story, but fixing oxidized, dry-looking clearcoat is pretty routine for detailers. After you make it shiny again make sure to put a coat of wax on it twice a year, only use car soap that says "safe for wax", and avoid automatic car washes. If you'd have simply maintained a coat of wax you probably wouldn't be looking at a dull clearcoat now.

Championship white

I love the DC5 Integra in Championship White, blue is too dark on the cars and doesn't show off the body lines well.

I vote for Championship White. That Blue you choosed would fit pretty good to the rims though. Your current color is pretty ugly in my opinion, so a big no to that one.

Thanks for the votes, everyone. White is definitely popular, but it would also involve having to paint my door panels and engine bay, which I'm not so sure about... At this point, I'm considering painting the car white plus the door panels, leaving the engine bay Desert Silver but painting some other components of the engine Desert Silver as well. Maybe the plastic engine cover and my short ram. That will tone down the ghetto-factor, I hope.

If I were you I wouldn't go for a paint job that only costs a few hundred dollars - you probably won't be happy with the results. If you want a legit job you'll be looking at more like $1500.

Have you considered getting the paint professionally detailed? If the clearcoat isn't actually chipping then it's still there, probably just oxidized. All the fancy chemicals and polishes that a pro detailer would use could bring old paint back to life for a couple hundred dollars.

If the paint is actually chipping off then that's another story, but fixing oxidized, dry-looking clearcoat is pretty routine for detailers. After you make it shiny again make sure to put a coat of wax on it twice a year, only use car soap that says "safe for wax", and avoid automatic car washes. If you'd have simply maintained a coat of wax you probably wouldn't be looking at a dull clearcoat now.

No, sorry I wasn't being clear. If the price for full detailing/dent removal/spoiler removal is $800...and the price for all that plus a new paintjob is $1200-1500, I might just go for the new paint job. Get it over with and let the results last another 10 years.

I'm not sure if it's just my clearcoat that's been eaten up, but I hope that's the case if I can save some cash.

Believe me, if I had owned the car from the start it would be in even better condition. But I bought it used after the first owner had it for almost 5 years.

White would indeed look excellent (I can never say anything bad about anything painted white that isn't trashed) but I quite like the Desert Silver... And it would probably be cheapest to get paint matched to the lower half of the car and just fix the spots of bad clear with a bit of feathering in to ensure it not looking "off" anywhere.

Forgot about the poll option, my bad.

As far as the engine bay goes, I had a second look and could definitely get away with not painting it. There is only a couple sections, across the front and over my shocks, that are actually painted. So, I'd only need to have the door panels painted if I changed colors.

Rotary Junkie, if I paint the car I'm going all out. No half-assing it (literally ;)).

Also, I'm going to ditch my factory spoiler and get a decklid:

decklid.jpg

...which would involve bondo-ing and painting the visible holes my old spoiler would leave behind.

And on another note, I'm not getting blue because my car would turn into a Subaru. :lol:

Unless the car was being stripped to bare shell I am against changing colour, too many places the Silver will appear. Many people don't care but I personally don't like it.

Also the different in price of re clearcoating and paint colour change if done properly (not talking about bare shell either) should be much larger. Your choice however, if I was to buy a RSX it would be either the white or blue but in your case I would leave it silver.

Jay
Unless the car was being stripped to bare shell I am against changing colour, too many places the Silver will appear. Many people don't care but I personally don't like it.

Also the different in price of re clearcoating and paint colour change if done properly (not talking about bare shell either) should be much larger. Your choice however, if I was to buy a RSX it would be either the white or blue but in your case I would leave it silver.
I personally wouldn't bother repainting a car unless the engine bay was empty, windows were out, all the body panels off, etc. Painting a car properly is one serious job. It can be done with the interior mostly intact but you still have to mask under the edges so you can't see the difference in color.

That's true..the more I think about it, the more the original color makes sense. It's not that I dislike the color either, but I was just hoping I could have something new.

But having a serious paint job, to help the car look brand new, wouldn't be so bad. And what I'll also do is have some of the black grill components painted so it'll look JDM-tyte:

2006-07-06_101650_Honda_Integra_Type-R_2002.jpg

Well thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it. :)

Back