What do you think the next Forza Horizon needs?

Easy:

Better car sounds.

I'd like the car sounds to improve, and they (very) slowly are. However, I can guarantee you 90%+ of the people who buy the Horizon games never notice and/or care about the fidelity of the car sounds. Of all of the reviews for Horizon 4 I read, I don't think any of them even mentioned the car sounds, let alone complained about them - unless the review was by someone who was specifically a big "car person".

I can also guarantee you Playground/Turn 10 are well aware of this, which is why they haven't made the car sounds an all-hands-on-deck priority - just something they are plugging away at in the background.

This is especially true of the Horizon games, which are targeted at a more casual audience.

Full arsed replays would be my suggestion instead of the half arsed ones we presently get in FH.

Failing that, how about an option on the field map filter screen for circuit or trail events for when #Forzathon objectives call for one or the other?

I generally like the music in FH4, but it kills me that they never add new radio stations (or just new music to the existing stations) with the expansions.

Even if you love the music, there's only SO MANY times you can listen to Dawnbreaker by Metrik, or Silhouette by Goldroom, before you just mute it, haha.

They did - With Blizzard Mountain in FH3, "Safe and Sound" by Justice was added while "The Storm" by Notaker was added for Fortune Island.

I do wish they would add an entire new station though. I generally do like the music choices in the Horizon games, but if I listen to anything too regularly, I get fed up with it. :P

They did - With Blizzard Mountain in FH3, "Safe and Sound" by Justice was added while "The Storm" by Notaker was added for Fortune Island.

I do wish they would add an entire new station though. I generally do like the music choices in the Horizon games, but if I listen to anything too regularly, I get fed up with it. :P

Yeah, I know they'll sometimes add a single new song with the expansions, but I was thinking of something a little more comprehensive than that, haha.

I'd like the car sounds to improve, and they (very) slowly are. However, I can guarantee you 90%+ of the people who buy the Horizon games never notice and/or care about the fidelity of the car sounds. Of all of the reviews for Horizon 4 I read, I don't think any of them even mentioned the car sounds, let alone complained about them - unless the review was by someone who was specifically a big "car person".

I can also guarantee you Playground/Turn 10 are well aware of this, which is why they haven't made the car sounds an all-hands-on-deck priority - just something they are plugging away at in the background.

This is especially true of the Horizon games, which are targeted at a more casual audience.
Two problems with your statement though:

1. The car sound problem is very much noticeable across the community. Came across many top comments and forum posts with high ratings noticing and agreeing with that statement. So the general concensus is quite clear.

2. It was better in previous Horizon or even Forza games. The problem started on, of all games, Forza Motorsport 7. Ironically Horizon 4 actually marginally improved upon the Motorsport 7, but not enough to be as good as Horizon 3.

Check alot of Youtube comparisons between Horizon 4 and 3 and hear what I meant. Not sure what T10 thinking. They could've just uses Horizon 3 sounds but instead they replaces most with much more generic sounds.

1. The car sound problem is very much noticeable across the community. Came across many top comments and forum posts with high ratings noticing and agreeing with that statement. So the general concensus is quite clear.

2. It was better in previous Horizon or even Forza games. The problem started on, of all games, Forza Motorsport 7. Ironically Horizon 4 actually marginally improved upon the Motorsport 7, but not enough to be as good as Horizon 3.

Check alot of Youtube comparisons between Horizon 4 and 3 and hear what I meant. Not sure what T10 thinking. They could've just uses Horizon 3 sounds but instead they replaces most with much more generic sounds.

The car sound issue is indeed brought up a lot within the enthusiast community - but that is not necessarily representative of the majority of players, or even a large minority. That a forum post here, or on the official forums, can garner a bunch of upvotes, isn't really indicative of the response at large. There was also a massive thread on the official forums, about how one of the new Corvettes added to the game had the wrong stock rims, for example. The average player is unlikely to notice or care.

Your second point I don't disagree with, though I think it's because of their migration to that new "granular synthesis" sound model, instead of simple recordings - a migration that they clearly aren't even close to done, based on how many repeated "placeholder" samples for cars are still in the game. I don't know enough of the details about how all that works, to really comment further. If I were them, I'd just re-implement the old sound work until I literally had 100% of the new sounds done.

- IMO, enough with right hand driving for the moment, most of the world drives left hand.
- A return to continental Europe, perhaps in two countries like FH2 (Germany/France for their car cultures would be ideal for me.)
-A proper airport/airfield and not the sorry strip of dirt for crop dusters that we currently have.
-More construction sites/industrial parks/ports for playgrounds.
-More varied radio stations and with more than 5 songs!
-Houses with full garages that can display more than 1 car (Project Gotham pulled this off ages ago).
-More intuitive AI traffic on the road that swerves to avoid you head on or clears the lane if you blow your horn.
-More varied body types (nationality, age, height, weight, facial features) for your avatar.
-New wheels and more variety in front/rear wings. Have an option of installing full body kits separate from engine/suspension parts.
-A new paint system that allows effects such as airbrush/masking, etc, maybe even through the use of an external app.

That's what I have so far, from the top of my head.

-A new paint system that allows effects such as airbrush/masking, etc, maybe even through the use of an external app.

This is probably the most important thing I can think of, tbh. GT has pretty much blown the one thing that Forza has been always touted as being good at out of the water - and T10 or PG need to get to work to make it better. There is simply no excuse as to why liveries in both Forza games on stock Xbox Ones are pixelated to hell and back, and yet liveries in GT Sport, on bone stock PS4's, are as clear as day. There's absolutely no reason as to why the use of external apps to upload logos and such can't be implemented - if T10/PG are worried about policing community creations and such, then again, apply a heavy hand and make sure offensive liveries and logos don't see the light of day.

The game engine is showing it's age and needs some fundamental improvements going forward. My suggestions, in order of priority:

Content (Aside from actual car models):
-Ability to upgrade/customize car interiors. I spend 99% of my gameplay in the dashboard view. Let me put some gauges in there or change the shift knob, or something. Feels weird to drive a fully weight-reduced car with all of the OEM interior still visible.
-Better wheel selection. The wheels in Horizon 4 are beginning to feel anachronistic....they feel very 2007 apart from the handful they've added in the last few years. The lack of more classic wheels is also a bit sad considering the growing roster of pre-70s cars. Not everything made before 1970 looks good on cragars...Also, the offsets are hilariously bad. How hard would it be to make it adjustable, or in the very least revert them to a "correct" offset for the car. It's a simple parametric model...I could do it!
-Ability to change exhaust models. I don't know why they haven't done this...it's a staple of car customization. Adding to this, the car shouldn't sound different when the exhaust is changed. They did this through FM2....it's kind of strange to do a full-tune on a car and the sound doesn't change.
-Physical garage - I like the implementation of the houses in FH4...somewhat. I think each house you purchase should have a set number of vehicles that it can store, and you should be able to walk around this storage area, akin to the PGR series...this could function as your 'favorites' in a way. There should be a generic warehouse that stores the rest of your vehicles by default...it could be an automated parking system where you can cycle through cars on a conveyor to get around the limitations of displaying 400+ cars simultaneously...or it could be just a simple list. The houses added a *bit* of immersion, I'd like to see them go a little further.
-Better wings. All of the Forza body pieces are ugly as sin.

Tweaks
-Overhauled replay system. It's pathetic now. Barely suitable for the original Xbox, but not even good enough for 360 IMO.
-License plates should be car-specific, instead of globally applied to all your cars. It doesn't even make sense the way it is now.
-Improved menus. The interface is so damn clunky right now. Why does it take so long, take so many button presses, and feel so sluggish to auction cars? Why does everything take so long to save?

Gameplay
-Ability to filter drivetrain swaps out. I'm sick of every drivatar vehicle having AWD. Really takes the jam out of my donut to create a presumably all-fwd race and then have half of the drivetars bolting off the line with AWD.
-Ability to "project" a HUD onto the windshield of vehicles. I like going HUDless, but it isn't practical in-race. If I could have a mini-map + position/time projected onto the windshield, it would be more immersive while still providing me with useful info. I guess this is a stretch, and the implementation could be time consuming, but it would be a dope feature!

There is a new Horizon game coming out? When?

I thought they were not going to make another Horizon game.
No, they said no Forza Motorsports game this year. Obviously, the developers are waiting for the Scarlett to make its way to store shelves. The next Forza Motorsports will most likely drop then.

There's a gigantic thread in FH3 section of official forum about bad sounds. And I even think there's one for FH2...

The game with best overall sound quality was probably FM6. In FH2 the sounds were nothing special, there's a story event with a 360CS and the sound is laughable, what we have right now for this car is miles better, surprisingly enough.

However in FH4 the sound banks are far less diverse and there are cars with broken sounds. In a game where everyone swaps in LS3, turbo rally or Lambo V12 engines, though, that's probably not much of an issue, which makes me uncomfortable. Loudest people are JDM fanbois as usual who are angry that their precious Skyline doesn't sound like those highly tuned aftermarket examples.

Someone above mentioned Japan as a setting...I would love that...FH1 was in the USA, FH2 in France/Italy, FH3 in Australia and FH4 in the UK...we've had Europe twice now, it's time to head over to Asia and especially Japan where the car culture is one of the most unique in the world.

Also, someone should improve the UI...when I log in I get bombarded by so much info...way too much...I'm not really sure what to do and which race to take part in (sometimes I just end up driving around as I couldn't be bothered to figure out what comes next or which race I would like to do). I think previous FH games did it better. Sometimes less is more.

So for me it would be Japan and a more streamlined gaming experience.

- Japan based region, with the city being neon-bathed Tokyo. And togue roads going up mount fuji is a must too.

- A story, a sense of progression like Forza Horizon 1. None of the other Horizon games since had the same sense of climbing up the ladder.

- More customization. Horizon 4 was already taking steps in the right direction, but just double down on this. More body parts for more cars, interior customization, neons, whatever. I know with so many cars, there's only so much you can do, but still. It would fit right in with the Japan theme.

- Double down on the houses from FH4, and bring back festival sites from FH3. Give the ability to walk around in them and access your garage of vehicles. More sense of ownership.

- Japan based region, with the city being neon-bathed Tokyo. And togue roads going up mount fuji is a must too.

- A story, a sense of progression like Forza Horizon 1. None of the other Horizon games since had the same sense of climbing up the ladder.

- More customization. Horizon 4 was already taking steps in the right direction, but just double down on this. More body parts for more cars, interior customization, neons, whatever. I know with so many cars, there's only so much you can do, but still. It would fit right in with the Japan theme.

- Double down on the houses from FH4, and bring back festival sites from FH3. Give the ability to walk around in them and access your garage of vehicles. More sense of ownership.

All of this would be awesome. I really miss the "story" progression from the previous games, and reducing the festival site to a single spot felt a bit of a shame too. Being able to move around the festival would be nice and I'd love to be able to have your cars showcased in a section of the festival with the crowd around you similar to how you can show them off in your apartment in The Crew.

All of this would be awesome. I really miss the "story" progression from the previous games, and reducing the festival site to a single spot felt a bit of a shame too. Being able to move around the festival would be nice and I'd love to be able to have your cars showcased in a section of the festival with the crowd around you similar to how you can show them off in your apartment in The Crew.

I've always thought Horizon was based on Gumball 3000. Unfortunately, the lessened focus on the Festival matches the current trend of making the game "soft". It's possible this trend is also a manufacturer's demand.

Playground has had little time in the recent years but if only they focused what little they have on good things rather than Playlists... The houses are completely underwhelming, even Bamburgh's Castle. It's a better game than the competitors because they nail the fundamentals (graphics and driving), but the features are lacking.

Am I the only one tired if this cycle? I've been following wish lists since GT4 got announced. Then GT5, GT6, FORZA 5, FORZA 6, FORZA 7, HORIZON 4 and such. Almost never these wonderful ideas are implemented by devs. And most of the time is just ends up being a load of anxiety trying to guess what things they will take out of the sequel, or what bugs and inconsistencies will be carried over.

I'm sorry. I just came to this realization :lol:

Am I the only one tired if this cycle? I've been following wish lists since GT4 got announced. Then GT5, GT6, FORZA 5, FORZA 6, FORZA 7, HORIZON 4 and such. Almost never these wonderful ideas are implemented by devs. And most of the time is just ends up being a load of anxiety trying to guess what things they will take out of the sequel, or what bugs and inconsistencies will be carried over.

I'm sorry. I just came to this realization :lol:

No. You are not.

Having to make sequel every 2 years probably didn't help. Both PG and T10 were very overworked for this generation.

Indeed. :(

The whole gen was a mess for Microsoft. If it wasn't for Phil Spencer, they'd have canned the Xbox One there and then. Playground has taken a route I don't like but they also lack time since Forza Horizon was pushed into a system seller. Forza Motorsport suffered as a result due to lack of time and also a necessity to cater to the biggest player base possible.

Things will get better, though. Phil Spencer has a "when it's done" approach. Forza will surely benefit from this.

Make it so your character looks older and less like a hipster as I absolutely hate the character creation and the festival vibe of it all with it's terrible radio stations. But I love the games once you get past the stoppy starty unskippable talking bits. I have played enough FH2 & 3 to not need to be told what a blue print event is again...

Main ones:

- A game that loads in a reasonable timeframe, rather than 5 minutes to get from loading, to on the road.

- A game that isnt so buggy

- A game where I can load more than 10 tunes before it crashes out toward the end of the list. Also show me if its a RWD, AWD tune. Also comments, so I know whether its actually good, or forced "likes"

- A game where the car selection screen, shows the actual car, not a Ferrari LaFerrari, showing a Morris Minor for example

- A game where I can sort by popular liveries, not, the most recent Monster livery someone has created.

Misc

- A Drone that goes higher than the regular camera ;)

- A reason to own a home other than benefits. TDU and PGR of old garages, walking around.

- Interior customisation

- Less money payouts with Forza hub. I have so much money in game that I could buy anything, and end up buying nothing because the cars have less value to me. Does that make sense?

- Actual unicorn cars that you have to buy, like Forza Motorsport 2? Maybe making that money useful

- Sell a car for whatever the hell I want, like the proper Auction House. I have a 720S Pre Order edition, and because I am not high enough "level" I cannot sell it for more than a regular 720S could go for.

This series, and Motorsport have become incredibly stale for me personally. I played the Lego expansion twice, the Island I completed very quickly.

As much as I'd like that, I'd prefer it if Playground didn't do Japan until:
  1. Horizon has more in-depth customization (easier said than done for 600+ cars)
  2. Toyota/Lexus gets their head out of their 🤬

A good removal of repetition could be what the first The Crew game did, offering its standalone radio stations, as well as a custom station that enables players to individually add/remove any song in the game to/from that station.
Though I still believe the best days for music in games was with the PS3, where you could upload songs onto the console and seamlessly play them in the background of certain games like NFS 2010, Killzone 2, MotorStorm 2, and Twisted Metal 2012 in the place of their own soundtracks. The next gen of consoles need to bring that back instead of just relying on 3rd party software with limited music options (Spotify).

For the "remove Festival Playlist" posts, which I approve, but it's quite obvious why they added it. It was added for engagement metrics and for "new stuff to do each week" (kinda like a mobile phone game unfortunately).

So I guess my question would be, what would replace the playlist? A map can have only so many races/routes etc.

Back