What does everyone here do for work?

This is where I work :D
Aircraft_at_Kuredu.JPG

I work as a flight attendant on them, my goal is to be a pilot so I guess this is just step one :sly:

Design Engineer - Spent 6 years completing an apprenticeship with L3 making full flight aircraft simulators (@zedextreme8177 I got a couple of hours in between work as well :sly:) but I was made redundant last summer. Now working on elderly / disabled lifting aids for Mangar International. The product might not be as cool but the work is a whole lot more enjoyable! Will be a senior design engineer here within 3 years.

I'm the entire Marketing & PR department of an International engineering company. It's quite busy.

I currently work as a Delivery guy for the local furniture buisness around my way. That includes; Wardrobes, Carpets, Beds and the like. It's only part time as I'm a student too, however.

Semi-professional, nomadic motorcycle tourer at current. Have been for the last 6 months and will be for a few more. After that I might try my hand at something completely new, but as of yet I have no idea what.

Been doing logistics all of my life, but moved to Australia and currently a dependent on my girlfriends student visa so limited to 20 hours work per week. Currently working in a Parts department for a large Harley Davidson and Ducati Dealership. Do lots of stuff in my spare time that could be considered work, website etc

Must be hell. Testing mattresses during the night.
There is a certain technique required and it takes a while to get used to, but hey that's what being a professional / craftsman is all about no?

Last edited:
German language customer service for Skype.

Contract's up end of February, so I'm looking elsewhere at the moment.

I assumed you worked for some trendy media company. What's the company?

The Richard Alan Group. It's actually 6 companies and I do bits and pieces for all of them but officially it's the Group I work for.

Don't look at any of the sub-company websites because they're horrible and we know they're horrible.

Now working on elderly / disabled lifting aids for Mangar International. The product might not be as cool but the work is a whole lot more enjoyable! Will be a senior design engineer here within 3 years.

The great thing about engineering is that even the most boring mundane things can become interesting when you really get a chance to dive into the theory behind them, disagree with everything, and then try to make it better. There's also the chance to use all kinds of hardware and software that you couldn't afford on your own.

TB
Provided that 1) it's a two man job and 2) you get to pick your partner, sign me up!
Well we mostly make it a man/ woman job (hey; to each his own ;) ), but that's only allowed for the department that tests the deluxe versions of our mattress line. I am still working my way up there!

I'm a general mechanic at the time being, though classic car restorations is the main thing along with vintage ATV restorations. Not currently working though, mainly just side jobs for friends etc right now.

Latest projects somewhat interesting projects were my friends 2 different snowmobiles.

I didn't know a vintage ATV was even a thing. Didn't they appear in the 1980s? Or is that just a sign that I'm getting old if I don't consider anything from the 80s to be vintage?...

Old, off-road three wheelers are getting considered to be vintage these days. There's a ridiculously LARGE following for them, and are wildly popular. The demand is actually increasing for them. Parts are pretty cheap these days, and there's so much aftermarket for them, you can pretty much build one from nothing but a frame. These photos aren't my personal work, but this is exactly what I do to them (same quality of the builds)

Basically, I take extremely beat up variants of these:

Jeremys%201984%20250R.jpg

and turn them back into close-to showroom quality. Money can be made pretty easily, and they are very easy to work on.

norm84250r_lg.jpg

DSC_2857.jpg

BEFORE:

0729002009.jpg

AFTER:

mod200.jpg

BEFORE:

200x2rp3.jpg

AFTER:
honda200x-3.jpg

They do get pretty involved, and can take several months to complete. They are full, frame-off resto's. You tear it all the way down, sand blast the frame, have it powder coated, and rebuild it all the way back up so it performs as new. Depending on the budget or condition of the engines, they may or may not be rebuilt. There are many other models and brands that I do but those are only a couple. You can generally pick thesse up off Ebay or Craigslist for pretty cheap, and get sometimes double or triple, and if done right, 6 times the money back.

Last edited:
Sorry, I looked! Certainly not the worst engineering websites I've ever seen.

The CMS they're run on is absolutely rigid. Literally just images and text in set boxes of set sizes. They're also offshoots of the same website (no idea how it works) but it decimates any attempts to attack SEO.

Old, off-road three wheelers are getting considered to be vintage these days. There's a ridiculously LARGE following for them, and are wildly popular. The demand is actually increasing for them. Parts are pretty cheap these days, and there's so much aftermarket for them, you can pretty much build one from nothing but a frame. These photos aren't my personal work, but this is exactly what I do to them (same quality of the builds)

Basically, I take extremely beat up variants of these:

Jeremys%201984%20250R.jpg

and turn them back into close-to showroom quality. Money can be made pretty easily, and they are very easy to work on.

norm84250r_lg.jpg

DSC_2857.jpg

BEFORE:

0729002009.jpg

AFTER:

mod200.jpg

BEFORE:

200x2rp3.jpg

AFTER:
honda200x-3.jpg

They do get pretty involved, and can take several months to complete. They are full, frame-off resto's. You tear it all the way down, sand blast the frame, have it powder coated, and rebuild it all the way back up so it performs as new. Depending on the budget or condition of the engines, they may or may not be rebuilt. There are many other models and brands that I do but those are only a couple.
Always love when old things that lost their former glory get restored, and suddenly become unique and attractive again 👍

Don't know crap about mechanics but would love to restore old cars also.

Exactly. For years I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life but I'd always been into cars and those trikes due to my dad have 2 of the last one in that post (still have 1!), so I decided I wanted to dedicate my life to resurrecting things. I don't even care how much money I have to put into them, that's not what makes it worth it to me. What makes it worth it is the entertainment of working on it and then having something to show for it at the end.

Plus, those trikes are sooooooo fun to ride fast, but required strong body language and good muscles to ride properly...you basically have to slide turns on rough terrain going very fast hehe.

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

Old, off-road three wheelers are getting considered to be vintage these days.
I quite like those old Honda ATVs, but given their reputation I'm surprised there's a single one out there whose first owner isn't dead :lol: They were never the most stable of things...

I quite like those old Honda ATVs, but given their reputation I'm surprised there's a single one out there whose first owner isn't dead :lol: They were never the most stable of things...
I was actually reading once that their deaths per rider was significantly less than 4 wheeled quads by a margin of 3/10 to 9/10 people. They are in fact stable if the rider is trained to ride them properly, it requires more seat time to master than a quad. You can't ride them like a bike with your foot out, you'll run it over if you wreck. Most of the deaths/injuries on these were labeled operator error, and kids too young a large trike (who puts a 12 year old on a 350X?) but yeah their overall reputation is bland. Thankfully, that is starting to change and more tracks are allowing their usage as well as the aftermarket support increasing. They are fast machines for sure, especially for their day. Personally id rather ride a trike because I grew up on one and I feel more in control than the comparable quad which I feel there is too much front grip and feels like a training wheel.

I don't think anything with more than a few kg of plastic on the the whole assembly can be called vintage.I think'classicm' might be a better term. If you want vintage look at the Ford quadricycle from ~1910, awesome machine.

I don't think anything with more than a few kg of plastic on the the whole assembly can be called vintage.I think'classicm' might be a better term. If you want vintage look at the Ford quadricycle from ~1910, awesome machine.

Maybe so, but they span back to 1970, with the release of the US90/ATC90. This thing is the granddaddy of the ATV.

atc90_9.jpg

Those I posted happen to be the 1980's models when the sport really took off in 1981 with the release of the ATC250R (seen in picture 1 in my most previous post). But otherwise among the enthusiasts they are regarded as "vintage" and "classics". There are even companies that restore them entitled vintage.

http://www.vintagemotorsports.net/restorations.htm

But like I said, the best part is when you get to ride that thing you just spent months on.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back