What Does GT7 Need To Be The "Best" Gran Turismo?

• Thread starter Shirrako
  • 390 comments
To me, there are a few things that PD really has to nail for GT7 to make an impact in the next-gen console racing market. I believe that GT games have always been really solid "pseudo-sims", sort of striking a balance between arcade racing games like NFS, but are also more accessible than the more "hardcore" sims on PC. Herein lies what I believe to be the issue: GT games as of late have never been able to prioritize features that make racing games both fun and immersive, and by trying to appease both "hardcore" sim fans and casual racers PD has repeatedly fallen short of pleasing either party. In my mind there are four core features that PD could focus on that would make all of us GT fans happy, while not alienating the casual gamer:
  1. Sound! Yeah I know this is an obvious one, but it needs to be said. Improved sound assets would make enthusiasts happy, increase a sense of immersion, and also make our favorite cars feel more alive.
  2. A realistic car roster. I think PD has recently been too focused on quantity not quality. Personally I don't think too many of us would mind if instead of 5 variants of each generation of Miata or whatever, there were two or maybe three at the most. ie. just one 1.4 and one 1.8 na Miata, then the nb etc.. perhaps hold a community vote every month or so and add the ten most voted for cars as free DLC.
  3. More customization! While GT6 was certainly an improvement over GT5 in this department, I think more customization options would add quite a bit more depth to the Gran Turismo experience, and also breathe new life into the tuning community
  4. Physics: I've never driven on a track, I don't autocross on the weekends, and I certainly couldn't tell you how accurately GT simulates oversteer, but I can tell you that I don't want my hand held. Driver aides should be available to help novice players enjoy the game, but when I turn them off they should feel off. Aside from that, I think that GT6 had some pretty solid physics and I found that I could still garner some enjoyment from racing with a controller despite my strong preference for using a racing wheel.
Well there it is, just my two cents on the matter.

Back