What does Type "R" means?

What does a car require to be allowed to have the red "R " label ? like the Civic, Skyline or Sentra. Is there any requirement or is it just another marketing gimmick ?
I tried Google and get bazillion of links with nice cars pictures, but none of them define what Type " R " is.
tia

P.S. I hope it's not O.T.

R is a model identifier. What it means is entirely at the discretion of the manufacturer.

I believe Honda's Type R is for Racing.

Only means that it's a more race orientated car than anything else in the same model range ... does not mean anything more.

Means they strip out all the extra weight ect. and thus it's the most race focused car they make.

Kragbees is right, Type R is just oriented for racing mainly, cuzz my brother got a Integra TyYPE R, and it only weighs like 2000lbs

kragbees
Means they strip out all the extra weight ect. and thus it's the most race focused car they make.

DarkAzN
Kragbees is right, Type R is just oriented for racing mainly, cuzz my brother got a Integra TyYPE R, and it only weighs like 2000lbs
Race focused and stripped out is Honda's interpretation of the R.

The original question mentioned Skyline GTR's too. Nissan obviously have a different view to Honda. The GTR is not stripped out or else it would weigh a lot less than just under 4000lbs. Which brings me back to what I originally said...

daan
R is a model identifier. What it means is entirely at the discretion of the manufacturer.

I believe Honda's Type R is for Racing.

Here's the thing or so I figure for the Skyline GT-R , as far as I know the R32 GTR was the road-going varriant of the origonal skyline R32 race car that has quite a history around the world or so I figure. What makes the GT-R the R is mainly it's 4WD and the systems that work with it inculding ATTESA-ETS (I forgot what all that meant...) and the 4-wheel steering, in addtion to having the 2.6L Bi-Turbo Inline 6 that produces 280bhp only becuase of standards set in Japan. For all Nissan wanted, that power could be north of 400 or even 600 standard.

In other words, the R means this is a full on 4WD technology monster for better driving, I could be totoally wrong and more innacurate than a shotgun with a very messed up targeting sight (yes, Shotguns do need something to aim even with how most ammo they get tends to scatter...) or whatever... it's all I can figure since as far as the 32 model goes (I'm unsure as hell over the 33 and 34 as between FR and 4WD...sorry...I thin the 34 has something like GT-T Turbo or sometihng like that...I don't know for sure...) the FR model that has a less powerfull Inline 6 is called the GT-S.

And you're right, R is meant as far as many are concerned for racing or a sporting model or just a means to get people's attention to buy a machine. The reason the Skyline is so heavy (least the 34, that's the heviest, the 32 is lighter compiared to the 34...) is all that freaking technology cramed into the thing to allow performace that would give Ferraris, Corvettes, Lamborghininis, etc a run for their money...or they are trying to keep up with a given skyline (straits or turns...)... there's also other modles such as the 400 R... and the S and R tune Nismos...I can't say much more because I haven't researched into the Skyline history like I would a Corvette or a RX-7, etc...

That's all I can figure... I could be absolutey wrong or 98% wrong...I'll just have to wait what others have to say about it...

daan
There is no point trying to answer an already answered question. daan is spot on here.

Type R means just an engine with more HP's and less weight.Type R is nothing special,GTR neither.The only beautiful word after V8 4.7(like Jag's or something) is "supercharged" :mischievous: :cool:

R_Riders
Here's the thing or so I figure for the Skyline GT-R , as far as I know the R32 GTR was the road-going varriant of the origonal skyline R32 race car that has quite a history around the world or so I figure. What makes the GT-R the R is mainly it's 4WD and the systems that work with it inculding ATTESA-ETS (I forgot what all that meant...) and the 4-wheel steering, in addtion to having the 2.6L Bi-Turbo Inline 6 that produces 280bhp only becuase of standards set in Japan. For all Nissan wanted, that power could be north of 400 or even 600 standard.

In other words, the R means this is a full on 4WD technology monster for better driving, I could be totoally wrong and more innacurate than a shotgun with a very messed up targeting sight (yes, Shotguns do need something to aim even with how most ammo they get tends to scatter...) or whatever... it's all I can figure since as far as the 32 model goes (I'm unsure as hell over the 33 and 34 as between FR and 4WD...sorry...I thin the 34 has something like GT-T Turbo or sometihng like that...I don't know for sure...) the FR model that has a less powerfull Inline 6 is called the GT-S.

And you're right, R is meant as far as many are concerned for racing or a sporting model or just a means to get people's attention to buy a machine. The reason the Skyline is so heavy (least the 34, that's the heviest, the 32 is lighter compiared to the 34...) is all that freaking technology cramed into the thing to allow performace that would give Ferraris, Corvettes, Lamborghininis, etc a run for their money...or they are trying to keep up with a given skyline (straits or turns...)... there's also other modles such as the 400 R... and the S and R tune Nismos...I can't say much more because I haven't researched into the Skyline history like I would a Corvette or a RX-7, etc...

That's all I can figure... I could be absolutey wrong or 98% wrong...I'll just have to wait what others have to say about it...

So you mean,that a silly little stupid skyline can beat machines like a murcialago??THAT'S TOTAL CRAP!!!!!!NISSAN SKYLINE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, this is not exactly a constructive post. Instead of screaming, go dig up some performance figures and post a comparison.

Well...here's what I've got to think about this...

Pink_the_Floyd
Type R means just an engine with more HP's and less weight.Type R is nothing special,GTR neither.The only beautiful word after V8 4.7(like Jag's or something) is "supercharged" :mischievous: :cool:

...I'm not sure what is right to say about that...I suppose somewhere down the line of what I've said or someone else...I must have pressed something for you to say this...

Pink_the_Floyd
So you mean,that a silly little stupid skyline can beat machines like a murcialago??THAT'S TOTAL CRAP!!!!!!NISSAN SKYLINE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen...I'm not saying the Nissan Skyline GTR in it's history is the all dominating god mod of cars, no such machine is such and not even close but the Skyline is a good car (Then again all cars are good for what they do and what they were built for...well most at the least anyway...)

again like before...

Pink_the_Floyd

You were right a bit with the Type R thing... BUT it is something special...but I'll just leave it at that for Honda...
...as for Nissan...there is a difference between a regular skyline and a GTR most of the time. GT-R usually means it's has the ATTESA ETS (and I found out what it means, it's short for Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All - Electronic Torque Split...long story short... the second your rear tires slip... power is transfered to the front to maintain grip...the advantages of FR and 4WD combined...this is as far as I know anyway...someone told me it kicks in a little late with the 32 and they got it right for the 34 but I don't know Skyline's too well so it's just freaking me...least to RL...) in addtion to Super HICAS four wheel steering as said before. Those and a few other toys in addtion to driver technique can turn any given machine, even bone stock a hell of a run against cars more powerfull than this one.

You can't deny it's at the ****ing least fast (sorry for the slight anger, I'm not too big a Skyline fan but calling ANY car 'sucks!' does get at my nerves a but...now Pink The Floyd's pressed my button...) thru turns and the straits... and it really depends on the venue and driver... cars like the 360 Ferrrari, Porshe 911 Turbo (996 model), Lan evo VII (and VIII) and Z06 Corvette have acceleration and handling traits in the neighborhood of the R34 (or vice versa...whatever you see it...) thanks to various reasons that mostly are mechnical but also by driver input (I could go really indeph with just how they are like this but...)... but one can only tell when they actually race...

I'm not sure one bit about the Lamborgihi to be honest...I really am not too fond of them (save the Coutach and Diablo VT...but that's just me so my words mean **** for all everyone else cares...) but that would be an intresting standoff...on the strait line obviousy the Skyline doesn't have too much of a chance...we would have to say for turns and then we can start discussing crap becuase both cars have advantages and disatvantages in the cornering department...

and just to sound like a stupid responding idoit...the Skyline does NOT suck... (even though I'm not a big fan of them...) by any menas...okay?...

I'm going to just stop now...sorry if I fail to sound more intelligent...

Untill later...

EDIT: I just noticed Neon Duke's reply...I may just get to that...but I don't like to make promises becuase then sooner or later I'll have to do them... but we'll see...

Here is a list of the special badges cars get and what they mean, oh an dthe brands.
All Brands:
GT: Grand Touring or Gran Turismo (depends on language and translation)
GTS: Grand Touring Sports or Gran Turismo Sports
GTS-R: Grand Touring Sports-Racing or Racer
S: Sports

LM:Limited Make has other meaning too but they vary from maker to maker...

Ford:
SVT: Special Vehicle Team (means the car was made by Ford's performance division)
R: Racing, dur

Honda:
Type R: Built for racing, same as Ford's R

Nissan:
GT-R: Gran Touring Racer, Gran Turismo Racer
R##:Racing and the numbers just signify a model
Nismo: Nissan's performance division, sometimes recognized as a different brand.

Mazda:
not really badges but names:
RX: Rotary Experimental

Dodge & Chrysler:
SRT: Street and Racing Technolodgy (built by Chrysler's performance division)
R/T: Road & Track (built for road and track)

Mercedes:
AMG: Based on the names of original founder's initials and their town.

Chevrolet & GMC
SS: Super Sport (do you need to ask what it really means?)
Z##: Basically a performance badging. Example Z06 Corvette, Z28 Camaro, Z71 Silverado and Tahoe

Pontiac:
GTP: Grand Touring Performance or Gran Turismo Performance

Mercedes/Mclaren:
SLR: Street Legal Racer (just a guess)

Toyota:
TRD: Toyota Racing Devlopment

If anyone else knows anymore please post em.

R_Riders
Well...here's what I've got to think about this...

...I'm not sure what is right to say about that...I suppose somewhere down the line of what I've said or someone else...I must have pressed something for you to say this...

Listen...I'm not saying the Nissan Skyline GTR in it's history is the all dominating god mod of cars, no such machine is such and not even close but the Skyline is a good car (Then again all cars are good for what they do and what they were built for...well most at the least anyway...)

again like before...

You were right a bit with the Type R thing... BUT it is something special...but I'll just leave it at that for Honda...
...as for Nissan...there is a difference between a regular skyline and a GTR most of the time. GT-R usually means it's has the ATTESA ETS (and I found out what it means, it's short for Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All - Electronic Torque Split...long story short... the second your rear tires slip... power is transfered to the front to maintain grip...the advantages of FR and 4WD combined...this is as far as I know anyway...someone told me it kicks in a little late with the 32 and they got it right for the 34 but I don't know Skyline's too well so it's just freaking me...least to RL...) in addtion to Super HICAS four wheel steering as said before. Those and a few other toys in addtion to driver technique can turn any given machine, even bone stock a hell of a run against cars more powerfull than this one.

You can't deny it's at the ****ing least fast (sorry for the slight anger, I'm not too big a Skyline fan but calling ANY car 'sucks!' does get at my nerves a but...now Pink The Floyd's pressed my button...) thru turns and the straits... and it really depends on the venue and driver... cars like the 360 Ferrrari, Porshe 911 Turbo (996 model), Lan evo VII (and VIII) and Z06 Corvette have acceleration and handling traits in the neighborhood of the R34 (or vice versa...whatever you see it...) thanks to various reasons that mostly are mechnical but also by driver input (I could go really indeph with just how they are like this but...)... but one can only tell when they actually race...

I'm not sure one bit about the Lamborgihi to be honest...I really am not too fond of them (save the Coutach and Diablo VT...but that's just me so my words mean **** for all everyone else cares...) but that would be an intresting standoff...on the strait line obviousy the Skyline doesn't have too much of a chance...we would have to say for turns and then we can start discussing crap becuase both cars have advantages and disatvantages in the cornering department...

and just to sound like a stupid responding idoit...the Skyline does NOT suck... (even though I'm not a big fan of them...) by any menas...okay?...

I'm going to just stop now...sorry if I fail to sound more intelligent...

Untill later...

EDIT: I just noticed Neon Duke's reply...I may just get to that...but I don't like to make promises becuase then sooner or later I'll have to do them... but we'll see...

Does Toyota have something like Type R or GT-R.I would be cool to see a GT-R GT Supra :drool: woooooooooooooooooow :bowdown:

well, rossriders and others have pretty much clarified what r is and could mean. What bothers me is all the stupid comments along w/ intelligent ones.. I dont know weather to laugh or cry, but today i laughed :) Newbs need to learn to hide their ignorance. And it seems most of the vets here have been pretty nice to them, which is a good sign. We need good exaples for all of the rude noobs that come on the forum on how to conduct proper mature discussions w/ out insulting someone or sounding idiotic. 👍 Keep up the tongue biting guys because lashing out at ignorance just closes their eyes more.

o and Pink Floyd
You can probably find special editions of the supra also. i dont know of any though besides tuner versions.

lol JW... u always say weird stuff and piss people off. The R or whatever is added on to the end of the name of a car is added on sometimes to differentiate it between other models due to improved performance. as others have said before... u cant ignore what other people have said... omg... lol u cant ignore facts and just say stuff likethat :dunce:

I'll clue you in: 9 times out of 10, the letters don't stand for anything at all - they're just a group of letters the marketing people though sounded good.

GT-R and the real Type R would be exceptions to that rule, as outlined above.

Viper Zero
The TRD 3000GT Supra. Not to be confused with the much better one from Mitsubishi. :)
The 3000 GT Mitsubishi isn't better.If you think that the Mit. is better,you don't know anything of cars.The supra takes the Mits. from 0-100 km/h in 0.300 seconds faster.!Ha! What are you going to do to this evidence.

Toyota Supra

General Information
Price: $40,000
Miles Per Gallon: 18/23 mpg
Curb Weight: 3515 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Engine
Type: Twin-Turbo Inline-6
Displacement: 2997 cc
Horsepower: 320 bhp @ 5600 rpm
Torque: 315 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Redline: 6800 rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 4.9 sec
0-100 mph: 11.8 sec
Quarter Mile: 13.6 sec @ 106 mph
Skidpad: .94g
Top Speed: 155 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: --- ft
Slalom Speed: --.- mph

Mitsubishi 3000 GT

General Information
Price: $44,600
Miles Per Gallon: 18/24 mpg
Curb Weight: 3737 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/AWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Engine
Type: Twin-Turbo V6
Displacement: 2972 cc
Horsepower: 320 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 315 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm
Redline: 7000 rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 5.5 sec
0-100 mph: 14.0 sec
Quarter Mile: 13.9 sec @ 102 mph
Skidpad: .90g
Top Speed: 160 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 122 ft
Slalom Speed: 63.7 mph

The Toyota Supra is the far better one one and it looks much better.

Attachments

• Toyota Supra.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 8
The 3000GT is a hell of a lot cheaper. Around $16,000 to $20,000 for the VR-4, depending on the year. Supras are still going for $35,000+. I'll take the .6 second difference in the quarter mile to save $15,000.

This proves that the 3000GT gets no respect. It is the ultimate street car.

As for the 3000GT's general lack of respect within the performance community, LaFuente remains unfazed. "I can say this about the car: Even though it's heavy, with its torque range and all-wheel drive, a properly modified 3000GT is unbeatable on the street," he says, the conviction in his voice nothing less than genuine. "It's the ultimate street car, and I know because I also own a Supra and a Skyline." (March 2004 Sports Compact Car).

Viper Zero
The 3000GT is a hell of a lot cheaper. Around $16,000 to $20,000 for the VR-4, depending on the year. Supras are still going for $35,000+. I'll take the .6 second difference in the quarter mile to save $15,000.

This proves that the 3000GT gets no respect. It is the ultimate street car.

As for the 3000GT's general lack of respect within the performance community, LaFuente remains unfazed. "I can say this about the car: Even though it's heavy, with its torque range and all-wheel drive, a properly modified 3000GT is unbeatable on the street," he says, the conviction in his voice nothing less than genuine. "It's the ultimate street car, and I know because I also own a Supra and a Skyline." (March 2004 Sports Compact Car).

This is crap,when fully tuned and fully weight reduction both the cars are having let's say about 600HP.The 3000 GT is still heavier!So it's slower.

Ok,let's take a poll.

1:Supra
2:3000GT
3:embarrassed:ther

Choose your own answer,as for me it's ofcourse 1.The Supra has just something special.

Back