What does Type "R" means?

avenger
Could be - the 'red' R at least.
The Skyline GTR can be traced back to the KPGC10 Datsun Skyline GTR of 1969. It was a 4 door sports sedan with a (then) hi-tech S20 DOHC 2L inline 6 cyl. The S20 was very uncommon in that it had double overhead cams. Fed by 3 Solex carburettors, it was good for 160HP.

1970 saw the release of a 2 door hardtop GTR.

In 1977 the GTR was removed from the lineup, and didn't re-emerge until the 1989 R32 GTR Godzilla.

I'll do a little bit more research and see what I can come up with on the history of 'R' badged cars

You did your homework, just the facts, no bull nor Biased opinion :) ( I like that )
Interesting history of the Red emblem, thanks for the info.

I cant belive how long this has gone for. basicly the question was answered by the second post. for honda type R is a designation given to top performance versions of its cars. the skyline's R is totaly different. GT-R just specifies the model that gets the four wheel drive with the high power 6. skylines are sold with the low power engine and rear or four wheel drive as well as the high power engine with rear drive. each skyline has a different appendage. ie 25GT, GT-4. you get the idea. For nissan "V spec" or "spec V" seems to be the equivalent of hondas type R. ie the "skyline GT-R V spec" or the "sentra SE-R speck V" Like Mazdas A spec, or mitubishi's VR-4 sort of. Its a japanese thing.

Biased turkey
What does a car require to be allowed to have the red "R " label ? like the Civic, Skyline or Sentra. Is there any requirement or is it just another marketing gimmick ?
I tried Google and get bazillion of links with nice cars pictures, but none of them define what Type " R " is.
tia

P.S. I hope it's not O.T.

This is the original question.

Biased turkey
In GT3 there is a Skyline cup " The race of the red emblem ", I suppose it stands for the red "R".
Was Nissan the 1st manufacturer to introduce that red "R" type ?

My posts are in response to this question.

Yeah, it has been answered, partly. People have come back asking for more specifics.

To put this post on topic, I've looked through as many Japanese cars as I can think of, no "R" older than the Skyline.

I'll now turn my attention to Euros and American cars.

I don't think many companies used the R tag in the old days, though.
GT (Grand Touring) seems to be a little more common - maybe we should start a thread: which car was the first ever to have the GT badge. Maybe do it as a trivia... (Wait, that means I'd have to research and find out... too hard basket or not? I'll think about it.)

[EDIT] By the way, the R does not necessarily mean the 2.6L 4WD. They didn't have them in '69! The GTR was the top sports version of the Skyline, and if I delve into history a little more, the GTR was used for racing.
In fact, by 1972, the KPGC10 GTR had notched up over 50 race victories in local motorsport.

My source: http://www.driftclub.com/SkylineHistory.htm
http://www.prospec-ms.co.uk/knowledge/about_gtr.html

OUCH! :ouch: I never said I wanted the thread closed. im not against continuing education and I'm definately not against car culture, especialy frome the skyline. its one of my favorite cars. It was just an opener. a comment, nothing more. speeking of details you may notice i simply reiterated all other coments by stating that the question had ben answered and than proceded to add my two cents, and organizing the info in annother way or from a different angle so it may make sence to even just one more person. this stuff is superfluity 101 guys. just flamboyantly structured liturature. as for the GT-R being the model to recieve the twin turbo 2.6 and 4wd, I was refering to the most recent (R32, R33, R34) models in question. and on that note what you mean about the red emblem race and something about the first type R being the original question i'm not sure, since that wasent the first post in this thread. The question that my post was directed at. the question that started this thing. feel free to slam me again, after all these are my "must suck up" new user times. although i've been chatting about GT3 for some time on the now defunct game_hunter forums. I can hear the rants now. "no wonder they shut down!" "Hey man got endorsments?" Ha ha. verry funny. :indiff:

avenger
BTW, I believe the Mercedes SLR does stand for "Sports Light Racing"
The SLK roadsters stand for "Sports Leicht Kompact", or something like that, which means... "Sports Light Compact". Mmm... SL-55 AMG. What a car!
I believe the 'K' is for Kompressor, i.e. supercharged.

chaos95
I believe the 'K' is for Kompressor, i.e. supercharged.

No, the K is for Kompact, although you'd think it was for Kompressor. Not all SLKs are supercharged. Those that are have the "Kompressor" badge on them.
The SLK are the smaller bodied roadsters up to the SL32AMG, which is a sports/Kompressor version of the SLK 320 (3.2L V6 160kW)

The SL class start at a 350 I think (3.5L???), the SL500 (5.0L V8), SL55 AMG, up to the monstrous SL600: a six litre twin turbo V12 putting out 350 odd kW and 800Nm!!!!!

IRT Inferno. Sorry, didn't mean it to come out quite that way. :dunce: My bad. I've gone back and fixed it up. My apologies.
That's what I get for posting something in the middle of the night when I should have (YAWN!) been in bed. Concentration... what's that? :guilty:
It wasn't until I did a bit of history on the Skyline for something else that I discovered the origin of the GTR badge. I mean, that big gap when it was missing was when I grew up, so I thought that it had just come out for the top line R32 onwards as well.

Still no progress on finding more 'R' badged cars. Internet searches are not coming up with much.

Biased turkey
What does a car require to be allowed to have the red "R " label ? like the Civic, Skyline or Sentra. Is there any requirement or is it just another marketing gimmick ?
I tried Google and get bazillion of links with nice cars pictures, but none of them define what Type " R " is.
tia

P.S. I hope it's not O.T.

The Nissan Sentra SE-R stand for "Sports Endurance-Racing" which like most people have said is the basic race-oriented car that that particular model comes in. The GT-R stands for Gran Tourisma and obviously the R is the race oriented model. GT also stands for many other things, but usually often in Italian or Japanese it basically stands for "Grand Touring" or w/e language its in meaning the equivelant.

And, GTO stands for Gran Turismo Omelegato. Which I think means racing homolagtion. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ND4SPD
And, GTO stands for Gran Turismo Omelegato. Which I think means racing homolagtion. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Say what? Gran Turismo Omlette?? I'll have ham and cheese on mine, thanx!

I've had a quick look around and it appears you are correct! :cheers:

Some more info on GTO here

avenger
Say what? Gran Turismo Omlette?? I'll have ham and cheese on mine, thanx!

I've had a quick look around and it appears you are correct! :cheers:

Some more info on GTO here
He is correct in Ferrari terms but incorrect on Pontiac terms as that link you posted showed.

avenger's link
GTO Grand Touring Option (Pontiac)
GTO Gran Turismo Omologato

This is a real GTO
Poster-250-GTO-FerrariL.jpg

Couple Type R's that you guys forgot...

Mazda Rx-7 Type R (not as hardcore as the RZ)
Jaguar S-Type R (not a hardcore racer either but more power then base)
Someone mentioned the Subaru WRX Sti Type R (which is also not as hard core as the type RA Spec C)

What conclusion do I make from this? That manufacturers call whatever they want Type-Rs. In some cases its a totally stripped down racer (like the Honda Type-Rs) and sometimes its not.

I fired up my old GT2 database because I remembered something about the Honda Type-Rs. It seems that the R in the Honda Type-Rs stand for Racer. (Read the description on Civic Type R to see what I mean)

Famine
I don't recall any rally cars having black bonnets.

But the black bonnets you'll see on some cars is an unpainted carbon fibre piece, designed to save weight (around 15-30kg). The current Honda NSX Type-R - a car further away from a rally car than you could imagine - has a black, carbon-fibre bonnet and a black, carbon-fibre wing.

the black hoods ARE a rallyrelict. black hoods protect the driver from being blinded by reflections. thats the real root of the carbontrend. just believe in me. i'm no dumb ass or something

ps: have a look at the trueno for example...

Back