What does Type "R" means?

Take this to another thread or PM. This has nothng to do with what R means.

Supra is better. End of.

[On topic]

[Stir]

The "R" in Type R and GT-R both stand for "Retard". Silly little straight 4 and 6 cylinder engines, have to rely on variable valve timing and turbos to get some power. They aren't V8, so they suck. Retards!

[/Stir]

I was not expecting my question to raise such a heated debate.
Now after reading all the posts I conclude that Type " R " definition is very vague at least.

I found something about Subaru here

Also available in Japan, are Subaru models modified by Subaru's advanced vehicle division, STi (Subaru Tecnica International). STi are responsible, along with Prodrive in the UK, for creating the WRC cars driven by the likes of Colin McRae and Richard Burns. Over the years, they have produced a number of production models (STi versions 1 to VI), in coupe, saloon and five door format. They have also released a number of limited edition models such as the V-Limited range and the 22B-STi wide bodied Coupe. Specifications for the STi models can include blueprinted engines, with different pistons and crankshaft, closed deck blocks, uprated close ratio gearbox, uprated suspension (i.e. hard!) and brakes, as well as nice toys such as water spray cooling for the intercooler, and driver adjustable differentials. STi engines rev to a 8250 rpm red line whilst the normal Japanese spec WRX's red line at 7500 rpm. Typically, the equipment specification of the Japanese WRX models are higher than that of the standard export models.

The Japanese spec WRX STi is also available as the 2-door coupe "Type R", which has the same equipment as a STi saloon plus driver-controlled diffs, and an intercooler water spray, but no ABS!.

Thanks again to all the people who took some of their time to reply..

P.S. for me, LM means Le Mans but that's just my own interpretation.

I have to admit it's an interesting thread with some good and some " less good " opinions :)

Cosmic
R type is a sticker. If you put it on your car it makes it go faster :D

Funny thing, there's a guy where I live that has a Pontiac Sunfire GT. Thought it would be cool to put a windshield decal bearing the (Nissan's) GT-R emblem, which refers to a Skyline GT-R. Every time I see his car, I think of how much of an idiot he looks like. And no mistaking it, either. It's definitely the Red Emblem he's got on his windshield.

Biased turkey
What does a car require to be allowed to have the red "R " label ? like the Civic, Skyline or Sentra. Is there any requirement or is it just another marketing gimmick ?
I tried Google and get bazillion of links with nice cars pictures, but none of them define what Type " R " is.
tia

P.S. I hope it's not O.T.

umm they dont make a sentra type r

Wow, Three pages and still no proper answer to the original type R query...
Well here goes:

The famous Type R badge on Honda's is similar to the M on BMW's and the AMG on Merc's in that it indicates the special sports/racing tuning arm of the original company. Just like the AMG, which means the car has a special merc V8 under the hood, the Type R badge means the engine is a special VTEC engine.

VTEC stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control. It is the amazing technology that enables the Honda type R's to rev so damn high, and hence keep them (although NA) competitve with the turbo boys. For a good explanantion of VTEC and what it actually does to the engine, visit

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question229.htm

So there you have it. If it says Type R, it has a VTEC engine, simple as that.

Travi_D

daan
R is a model identifier. What it means is entirely at the discretion of the manufacturer.

I believe Honda's Type R is for Racing.

Second post, and what looks like an answer to me.

Added to that, few Hondas don't have a VTEC engine.

Travi_D

So there you have it. If it says Type R, it has a VTEC engine, simple as that.
Actually, as Famine pointed out, the question was indeed answered correctly by daan. And the VTEC engine is only part of the Honda Type R story, since the technology is used on many different cars, including cheapo econobox Civics.

In addition to the 'legendary' VTEC engine, an Integra R has improved and larger brakes, 5-lug wheels instead of 4, stiffer suspension, tighter gearing, a lighter body shell due to reduced insulation and sound deadening, no A/C (as I recall) in order to save weight and engine load, and other weight-reducing measures. In short, it's a lot like my '95 Neon ACR.
RobcioPL
umm they dont make a sentra type r
Actually, they do, though it's called the Sentra SE-R. The original 2-door '91-'94 Sentra SE-R is a great car in this vein: simple, light, and relatively powerful, with good handling to make it all work. It was replaced in the late '90s with a 200SX-based version, which wasn't quite as good, but still followed the same formula. The current SE-R has drifted away from the formula and is a nicer daily driver but nowhere near as competitive a racer, due to increased weight and decreased suspension ability.

I apologize. It's just that in a few models(such as the Civic and the Integra), the type R versions have VTEC's and the others don't.

I have just realised that the S2000 doesn't have a type R and i has a VTEC, an the NSX has a VTEC on both type R and non type R models.

My Bad :scared:

type R means type Rallye. i know it's hard to believe if you think of the nsx type R for example but it's the truth. so it's the sportive lineup of honda

LOonIE
type R means type Rallye. i know it's hard to believe if you think of the nsx type R for example but it's the truth. so it's the sportive lineup of honda

Yes - because I'm sure the coupe Integra, with it's stiff suspension and low torque, naturally aspirated engine is perfect for rallying.

The R in Type-R means, in the case of Honda, "Racing".

Famine
Yes - because I'm sure the coupe Integra, with it's stiff suspension and low torque, naturally aspirated engine is perfect for rallying.

but what's with the black hoods of the older models? a rallyrelict, i would say. just ask
some hondaguys

Famine

I agree with the comment on the Honda's, but not all road cars are true indications of their rally cars, some couldn't be further apart. Take the Toyota Corolla and the Hyundai Accent.

But i still doubt that R is for Rallye, or Ralleye or Rally. Race is more on the mark.

Why is this thread still here when daan answered correctly in the second post, it means whatever the manufacturer wants it to mean.

we're just bored as hell so we go off on tangents and say the same crap over and over again, lol :dunce: O, and dont forget the post whores w/ their 1 word posts 👍

LOonIE
but what's with the black hoods of the older models? a rallyrelict, i would say. just ask
some hondaguys

I don't recall any rally cars having black bonnets. At all. Ever.

But the black bonnets you'll see on some cars is an unpainted carbon fibre piece, designed to save weight (around 15-30kg). The current Honda NSX Type-R - a car further away from a rally car than you could imagine - has a black, carbon-fibre bonnet and a black, carbon-fibre wing.

Travi_D
I agree with the comment on the Honda's, but not all road cars are true indications of their rally cars, some couldn't be further apart. Take the Toyota Corolla and the Hyundai Accent.

Both of those cars are road cars, upon which rally cars are based, not homologated rally cars for road use. In fact, since the cars entered the WRC after the homologation rules expired, there is no road car version of the Accent WRC and Corolla WRC - the largest engines in the road cars being 1.5 and 1.6 respectively - unlike the Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution road cars.

rally cars dont follow the same rules as other forms of racing. Basicly the only thing similar to the road car most of the time is the chasis. lol, or maybe some of the dashboard. Those cars are freaks. insanely efficent. 👍 :ill:

As mentioned, the R badge has different meanings.
Dodge Viper GTS - racing version is the GTS-R.
Honda Type R - basically the sportiest version of the model.
For example: In Australia our Type R integras get a more powerful motor, 6 speed gearbox instead of five, slightly different alloy wheels, recaro (I think) bucket racing seats, red stitched leather trimmings. I'm not sure about the brakes or anything.

We don't get the black bonnet standard on Type R Integras in Oz. AFAIK, they're carbon fibre, but somebody already said that.

(Japanese) Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type R and RA.
The Type R is a lightweight version with all unnecessary options removed. It has an aluminium bonnet and alloy suspension arms, as well as a driver controlled centre differential. I believe the Type R is a 2 door coupe (almost nonexistent in Oz) and the RA is a sedan.

Skyline GT-R.
There are several versions of the Skyline. Base model seen in Oz is the GTS, a RWD 2.0L 6 cyl turbo (RB20DET). Next is the GT-4: same RB20DET, but it has the ATTESSA AWD system. Next is the GTS25T Type M (Type M means turbo). RWD 2.5L Twin Turbo 6 cyl (RB25DETT). Then there is the GT-R. It is the only version to sport the 2.6L RB26DETT, and has the full ATTESSA 4WD system.

Then there's the Nissan 200SX Spec R... Don't have a clue what difference it has to the Spec S.

I think even Mitsubishi has used the R tag, though not as prominently: Their Galants, Lancers and 3000GTs (Or GTO twin turbos as we know them) all had trim levels of VR-4 and GSR. IIRC, the Galants had a version in Japan known as the GSX, which was 4WD but not turbo. So GSR was the turbo version. VR-4 was the designation for none other than 4WD versions of the cars, IIRC.

Like has been said before, I believe the origin of the 'R' in sports car badges is indeed the 'Racing' tag.

BTW, I believe the Mercedes SLR does stand for "Sports Light Racing"
The SLK roadsters stand for "Sports Leicht Kompact", or something like that, which means... "Sports Light Compact". Mmm... SL-55 AMG. What a car!

avenger
Honda Type R - basically the sportiest version of the model.
For example: In Australia our Type R integras get a more powerful motor, 6 speed gearbox instead of five, slightly different alloy wheels, recaro (I think) bucket racing seats, red stitched leather trimmings. I'm not sure about the brakes or anything.

Then there's the Nissan 200SX Spec R... Don't have a clue what difference it has to the Spec S.

Except, our Honda Integra Type R (DC5) gets a slightly weaker K20A2 i-VTEC engine. It is detuned, to suit Australia's tight emission standards. The Japanese spec is the K20A i-VTEC engine.

I'm quite a fan of the most recent 200SX to be released. Spec R basically means it's turbocharged, Spec S means it's not. Also, I do believe Spec R has a further option with the 'GT' badge on it. This option has a larger rear wing and leather seats or something.. apparently a lot of people hate it and rather the 'GT' badge to stay on the Skyline.

I'm not too sure on whether there is a 'GT' option for the Spec S.

In GT3 there is a Skyline cup " The race of the red emblem ", I suppose it stands for the red "R".
Was Nissan the 1st manufacturer to introduce that red "R" type ?

Biased turkey
In GT3 there is a Skyline cup " The race of the red emblem ", I suppose it stands for the red "R".
Was Nissan the 1st manufacturer to introduce that red "R" type ?

Could be - the 'red' R at least.
The Skyline GTR can be traced back to the KPGC10 Datsun Skyline GTR of 1969. It was a 4 door sports sedan with a (then) hi-tech S20 DOHC 2L inline 6 cyl. The S20 was very uncommon in that it had double overhead cams. Fed by 3 Solex carburettors, it was good for 160HP.

1970 saw the release of a 2 door hardtop GTR.

In 1977 the GTR was removed from the lineup, and didn't re-emerge until the 1989 R32 GTR Godzilla.

I'll do a little bit more research and see what I can come up with on the history of 'R' badged cars

Attachments

• 71kpgc10gtr.jpg
    71kpgc10gtr.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2drc10gtr.jpg
    2drc10gtr.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 7
Looking around, most of the other Japanese manufacturers didn't use the 'R' in badging until the late 80's early 90's, so the skyline is in 1st place so far.

Back