What have you done to your car today?

SVX
You're not really making anything original because the 'original' doesn't exist. There's no such thing as a left-hand drive Holden, nor a left-hand drive V36.

Really that's what hinges on the great difference between the two? Steering wheel location? I mean there are plenty of cars that run the same name or have and had both left and right hand steering. Badge engineering doesn't change the fact that the car started as a Skyline and still is a Skyline imported and renamed a G37. In reality I'm not wanting ildd to replace badges, I respect what ever choices he has for his car. My post was just making it clear that it is one in the same and reaffirming despite your belief that due to location of steering wheel it wasn't originally built as a Skyline, known under it's American name.

Not to mention that Infiniti is quite literally a Nissan rebadge for the United States.
Lexus to Toyota is the same thing.

Really that's what hinges on the great difference between the two? Steering wheel location? I mean there are plenty of cars that run the same name or have and had both left and right hand steering. Badge engineering doesn't change the fact that the car started as a Skyline and still is a Skyline imported and renamed a G37. In reality I'm not wanting ildd to replace badges, I respect what ever choices he has for his car. My post was just making it clear that it is one in the same and reaffirming despite your belief that due to location of steering wheel it wasn't originally built as a Skyline, known under it's American name.

I understand that it's the same chassis, but if you want to get technical, it's not the same car. Geometry changes with everything positioned differently. Different options and colours too, I'd assume.

Not to mention that Infiniti is quite literally a Nissan rebadge for the United States.
Lexus to Toyota is the same thing.

Except Lexuses are sold in Japan and Infinitis aren't?

Why are you whispering?

SVX
I understand that it's the same chassis, but if you want to get technical, it's not the same car. Geometry changes with everything positioned differently. Different options and colours too, I'd assume.

...So as in steering column and a ergonomic shift of the dash from one direction to the other...once again your just stretching the idea of steering location making it a totally different car. It's the same chassis, same drive train, same body. Nissan themselves have said it's a re-badge job with a LH conversion and has been since gen 3...so what, factory options that can easily be done in the U.S. now make it even that much more different in your eyes? I'd say it's grasping at straws really. There is more different in the new Opel going to Australia and being named a Holden Commadore than a Nissan Skyline 200/250/350/370 to an Infiniti G35/37/Q40/50/60. If it was a convertible then you'd have a technical argument that I'd have to give in to...since it was never available in Japan.

Except Lexuses are sold in Japan and Infinitis aren't?

Why are you whispering?

So, Acura aren't sold in Japan last time I checked but those are badge engineer jobs, same with many others.

...So as in steering column and a ergonomic shift of the dash from one direction to the other...once again your just stretching the idea of steering location making it a totally different car. It's the same chassis, same drive train, same body. Nissan themselves have said it's a re-badge job with a LH conversion and has been since gen 3...so what, factory options that can easily be done in the U.S. now make it even that much more different in your eyes? I'd say it's grasping at straws really. There is more different in the new Opel going to Australia and being named a Holden Commadore than a Nissan Skyline 200/250/350/370 to an Infiniti G35/37/Q40/50/60. If it was a convertible then you'd have a technical argument that I'd have to give in to...since it was never available in Japan.

I never said it was 'totally different', that was you and only you - in fact I was only saying the opposite. I said they aren't the exact same cars. There's a difference, to which I was only supporting @ildd's thoughts. I do understand that the core fundamentals are the exact same, but the differences to which they came out of the factory with make it never the same to me. To me, it's like calling a USDM spec Civic JDM because you changed the signal colours. I believe in what it came out of the factory as is what it is, whether it's fundamentally the same as something else or not. The Infiniti refers to the American market, left hook vehicle and Nissan refers to the right hook only version and I don't cross them between each other.

I don't really see any point in continuing this further.

SVX
I never said it was 'totally different', that was you and only you - in fact I was only saying the opposite. I said they aren't the exact same cars. There's a difference, to which I was only supporting @ildd's thoughts. I do understand that the core fundamentals are the exact same, but the differences to which they came out of the factory with make it never the same to me. To me, it's like calling a USDM spec Civic JDM because you changed the signal colours. I believe in what it came out of the factory as is what it is, whether it's fundamentally the same as something else or not. The Infiniti refers to the American market, left hook vehicle and Nissan refers to the right hook only version and I don't cross them between each other.

I don't really see any point in continuing this further.

No you made it read as though minimal x, y, z were so different that the car was different thus reason why it isn't the same. If not your intention sorry for seeing it as such. As for the car, whether you see it as such or not, doesn't change the fact it is that car. A re-badge and steering change doesn't make it something vastly different or so slightly different that it shouldn't be acknowledged as anything more than a US spec variant Skyline, renamed Infiniti G or Q XX. They're the same end of, if you don't want to see it that way because of your personal reasons (I did the same recently in another thread) that's fine.

No you made it read as though minimal x, y, z were so different that the car was different thus reason why it isn't the same.

This is what I said:

You're not really making anything original because the 'original' doesn't exist. There's no such thing as a left-hand drive Holden, nor a left-hand drive V36.

I didn't say anything made it 'so different', I'm just stating there is a difference which to me makes them a different car.

If not your intention sorry for seeing it as such. As for the car, whether you see it as such or not, doesn't change the fact it is that car. A re-badge and steering change doesn't make it something vastly different or so slightly different that it shouldn't be acknowledged as anything more than a US spec variant Skyline, renamed Infiniti G or Q XX. They're the same end of, if you don't want to see it that way because of your personal reasons (I did the same recently in another thread) that's fine.

I see it the same way as this:

Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (GM6) vs. GM8

Both of these start out on a GM Impreza chassis in Japan. The GC8 receives a right-hand-drive steering column, and EJ20 turbo-charged engine. The GM6 gets an EJ25 naturally aspirated engine.

Let's say I had a GM6 and swapped over an EJ20, as well as any JDM only specifics. Does that make the GM6 a GM6 with an EJ20, or suddenly an STi? While it's definitely a larger difference to a Skyline having a different badge and steering column, in this case the regional difference is the engine and steering column.

The same could even go for RUFs, or the 86/FRS/BRZ - the chassis does not determine what it is, it's the factory applied vehicle identification registrar.

Any Holden Commodore/Monaro/Ute that was imported to LHD markets is very much a Holden considering they where all made alongside the RHD versions in the same plant in Australia, by the same people. Even the Non Holden Badges/Grills were placed there by Holden.

A Pontiac GTO is a Pontiac GTO, plain simple. I've seen front end Holden swaps, but it's still a GTO. It's based on the Monaro, but it's a GTO in the U.S.

A Pontiac GTO is a Pontiac GTO, plain simple. I've seen front end Holden swaps, but it's still a GTO. It's based on the Monaro, but it's a GTO in the U.S.
It's not based on the Monaro it basically is the Monaro, everything on the car apart from the badges and grill is Monaro.

Badge engineering special is more like it.

It's not based on the Monaro it basically is the Monaro, everything on the car apart from the badges and grill is Monaro.

Badge engineering special is more like it.

If you had a GTO, and swapped the front to a Monaro and went to GM - would they suddenly match up the VIN with a Monaro or would it still be a GTO?

SVX
If you had a GTO, and swapped the front to a Monaro and went to GM - would they suddenly match up the VIN with a Monaro or would it still be a GTO?

The point I'm making is an actor can be called something else in a Movie but at the end of the day that actor is still the same person when they are off screen.

What some paper work says doesn't change the fact it's the same thing.

The point I'm making is an actor can be called something else in a Movie but at the end of the day that actor is still the same person when they are off screen.

What some paper work says doesn't change the fact it's the same thing.

So you say we can change a car's identity if we so wish? How come it's illegal to change a VIN plate then? Because a car is identitified by what it comes out with from the factory.

Why are we arguing about what badge should/could/ would be on my car

Well now we're arguing semantics and the broad issue of badging.

Pointless really...

Because I can make the same argument for my Ford Ranger and a Mazda B series. They're virtually the same truck but I wouldn't go and swap the badges because they're still different (bolt patterns, parts, etc)

Same argument with the Holden and Pontiac. The GTO and Monaro of that generation are the same car. However due to regulations the fuel tank size and location have been altered on the Pontiac among other things.

Same "issue" with the Subie/Toyota/Scion pact that is the 86. Yes, if you check they are registered as their own brands and model names but let's face it they're the same cars. the blueprints that go to the factories are virtually identical. Each brand, namely Subaru, put their own tweaks on the design.

At the end of the day, it's your car and you can do whatever you want with it. It's sold as a Skyline in Japan, but an Infiniti in NA.

As my father says, "Same 🤬 different name"

Who cares? I don't understand why people get so triggered over this.

Last edited:
Why are we arguing about what badge should/could/ would be on my car

Yeah, sorry about that; I didn't mean for it to be such a commotion. Maybe I'm just more of an obsessive purist than I realised.

My number plate lights were getting hopeless so I decided on some plug in replacement's...
They didn't quite connect properly and flickered badly so I went a bit mad and soldered them in
20161103_170759.jpg

20161103_173246.jpg

^ Looks nice de-badged.

So with my RSX looking the way it does, people at work see that I'm into cars and then go asking if I do my own work.

"Yeah, went to school for it."

"Oh cool, so... you think you could take a look at mine?"

*Ugh* "Sure."

So a co-worker brought me his girlfriend's Elantra to replace a broken lug stud. Someone he went to (he's told me of some shady mechanic in Vegas) told him they're all worn out, so I ordered a full set and got to work. Easy peasy for me since the hubs don't have to be pressed out, dirt cheap for them since I don't charge labor... I'm not looking to start a business, just helping out. But I got the fronts taken care of without issue. I go around to the rears only to discover that the studs back there are of a different size. Yeah, I wasn't paying attention to that when I ordered them because the hub work I'm doing on my Accord project uses the same studs front and rear. Got the broken one up front taken care of, at least. However, while I was under there I discovered a handful of other bad news for him:

- Front sway bar end links are a bit worn.
- One of the wheels (steelies) has out-of-round lug holes, probably because the nuts were waaaaaay over-torqued. Which would also explain the "worn out" studs.
- Set screws for the brakes were missing at all four corners, so I got some free replacements from a junkyard. Got them home and guess what?
- Front brake discs appear to be for the wrong car. Dimensions look right, but the set screw holes don't line up.

He told me beforehand the car "clunks." That could be down to any one of these faults. Looks like I'm in for more work.

Interesting fact I discovered: Elantra rear end links are made of friggin' plastic. Wow, Hyundai.

Finally got around to fixing the window seal on the 912. Managed to work up the motivation to fix the brake light trigger too, so now I don't have to be threshold braking just to get the lights to come on anymore 👍
Also managed to swap the tiny 14 gallon fuel tank out for a 23 gallon one from an SC, so now I can drive more than like 20 miles between filling up. So that's good.

Discovered while I was doing all that work that my headliner is just about starting to separate in the very back corner of the passenger side. Shot some glue in there and let it dry up, but that's not going to just go away. I've done a headliner in one of these cars before and I'm not exactly eager to repeat the experience...

I've noticed a tiny bit of a squeak from the front left of the M3 though. Trying to decide if I think it's just a bushing somewhere that's gotten a little squeak or if it's something more serious.

Not my car per se.
But I went to do an oil change on my mums ford, had everything but the sump plug washer which I got from the dealership and to my surprise it is rubber gasket and not a flat metal washer.
Well got home, put the front up on ramps and I attempt to remove the sump plug but the last mechanic that done an oil change torqued the hell out of it.
I could not get it off, even after using a hammer on the socket wrench handle to crack it loose.

Ended up rounding the bolt, so off to the dealership again but this time, to get a new sump plug.
Now it is back at that shop where my mum had it last time.

How the hell can someone screw up an oil change so badly?
You only need to tighten to 40 ft/lb tops.

Did a minor tune-up. Replaced the spark plugs, wires, air filter, got my transmission serviced AAAAND... a new water pump since it had started leaking. Now my Impala is officially a lemon, since I've spent more on it that it's actually worth :D I still love my car though. Things left to repair: Sunroof (decided to stop working a day or two ago), replace the multi-function switch and the hardest of all repairs... finding a way to replace the steering wheel emblem.
20161008_150325.jpg

20161008_150414.jpg

These will be the last days (or weeks) that Elle-Tee will be clean and shiny. Winter is coming...

First time in my life I've had a spare set of wheels, so it's the first time in my life I've had dedicated snow tires. My Hondas have always done really well in the snow with simple all-seasons, but it's about time I stop spinning so much on take-off. These should last me several years, since they're only going on if there's snow on the ground. Got the chunkiest I could find. I'll probably get studs at some point this winter, but I've spent enough today.

30497782203_6a1fd7417c_b.jpg

Looked at it, sitting pretty in it's parking space, as I cycled past on my way to work...

WP_20161001_13_17_08_Pro.jpg

Have a number of parts on order and wishlist to be done soon.

Rotated the summer tires (Firehawk Wide Ovals) that are on my car... after realizing I accidentally put the front ones on the wrong side a month ago. They're going to need replacing come spring, and I only got a year out of them. I'm definitely going back to all-seasons. The Pirellis I had on the wheels that now have the snows gave me 70k miles, and they gripped pretty well for 205s.

Back