What have you done to your car today?

I only picked it up on Tuesday and it wasn't dirty, but I bought some Triplewax wash and a polish to give the B7 its first hand clean by myself. I'm no detailer, but I at least like to start on the right foot by doing it myself.

rsz_img_20190517_154006.png

Nothing but I need to wash my little Fiat 500 ASAP because there is a lot of Sahara sand on my car.
My Mondeo is Sahara sand free but also very dirty.

I can't really do much with a leased car, but thankfully it's over next month and I'll just buy it off. My 2016 Focus SE doesn't have a lot of modification options, but there are LED's that caught my eye. The headlights can work,but the taillights are for a 2014. Can they still work?

I've seen these types of thread on other forums, and thought I could bring it here.

Basically, what have you done to your car today? Pictures are a big plus if you have any.

Sadly, I have nothing to post right now, so if anyone can get the ball rolling, please do!

(please don't post something like "I filled it with gas")

Well after 2 weeks of going back and forth with my truck, I think it's finally fixed. We put one transmission in and it didn't work so the guy put another one in! Phew....my mechanic is probably kinda sad he doesn't get to pour the gasoline on it and torch it with all of the trouble it's caused him!!

My exhaust blew as I was leaving work on Thursday, so today I managed to get it in to be investigated. Turns out the clamp holding it had come away, so with a new one and some sealant it came to £33. Must be one of the cheapest Audi repairs going!

Cleaned them both. One car had white stuff on the passenger side. I guess I drove through a puddle of lime/plaster. It took me a while to get it off of the car.

Two Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics for the rear. Will get the front two done next month so they match. One benefit of a non-quattro Audi - it's not imperative to take the hit in one go.

Bought an S-Line front bumper from an Avant being broken on Facebook Marketplace. Ideally I want a DTM edition bumper, but genuine ones are hard to come by and not in Mauritius Blue, so this will do for now. Not bad for £125, I'd say.

rsz_20190909_191518.png

Will have to wait until I'm at my parent's again to fit it.

After much faffing and finally finding the right tool to get to the bolts behind the headlights, my S-Line bumper is on. Unfortunately, the left hand riser isn't quite right, but in all honesty I ran out of patience and will sort it out at another time.

rsz_img_20190923_082331.png

It's a small change that transforms the front end, for me. Now I'd like some 18 or maybe 19" OEM wheels, but there arent many Audi options I'm keen on.

I also changed my number plates which had thick, tacky plastic surrounds with Poole Audi daubed on them. Not only did they look cack, the rear one rattled like crazy when closing the boot lid.

Did this more than a month ago, but I'm only just getting around to pulling some photos off my phone. For the longest time it's been a common problem with RSXs that aftermarket serpentine belt companies were recommending belts that were one size too small, which wore out the bearing on the tensioner pulley. My belt was up for replacement again, so I got the correct belt, as well as a shiny new OEM tensioner assembly. Install wasn't too bad, I just had to prop the engine up and remove the passenger side mount to get to the pulley bracket bolts.

I normally wouldn't report an oil change, but I read that by only using synthetic, it can eventually unseat your piston rings, contributing to blow-by, oil burning, etc. Anyone heard of this? Anyway, in case it's actually true, I've decided to start using conventional oil every fifth change. In my last Honda I only ever used Pennzoil synthetic and it treated me well, so I went with Pennzoil conventional for this change. Normally I stick strictly to Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-20 in this car, changing every 4-5k miles, even though the factory service manual says to change every 10k miles with no mention of synthetic oil. I am at 253k miles on this engine and it burns a quart about every 2500 - do any of you switch oil viscosity at higher mileage to compensate for wear? Would it make a difference?

My check engine light for a tired catalytic converter has been on for quite a while now, too, and with Colorado's once-every-two-years emissions test rolling around I've got to get that taken care of, so parts are on the way. Both O2 sensors were ordered, just to be safe. Denso sensors are factory equipment, so I sprung for those, but an OEM cat is too expensive for now, so I'm hoping a direct-fit cat from Walker will be reliable. Please, oh please, don't let rusted bolts make this job a pain in the ass...

How are you liking the Challenger? Even with me being a Ford guy as far as domestics go, if the Challenger weren't so tall (and heavy), I'd probably have one. I am in love with the styling. Chrysler really nailed it, especially with the details in the later model years like yours, but it should have been down around the size of the Mustang and Camaro. It just looks... stretched, vertically. That's just me, though. Maybe the size is better for handling the power in the Hellcats and Demons, I don't know. Does it feel like a big car when you're driving around in it? I've heard the Magnums can mentally shrink on you with a good suspension upgrade, which shared the same platform.

Did this more than a month ago, but I'm only just getting around to pulling some photos off my phone. For the longest time it's been a common problem with RSXs that aftermarket serpentine belt companies were recommending belts that were one size too small, which wore out the bearing on the tensioner pulley. My belt was up for replacement again, so I got the correct belt, as well as a shiny new OEM tensioner assembly. Install wasn't too bad, I just had to prop the engine up and remove the passenger side mount to get to the pulley bracket bolts.

I normally wouldn't report an oil change, but I read that by only using synthetic, it can eventually unseat your piston rings, contributing to blow-by, oil burning, etc. Anyone heard of this? Anyway, in case it's actually true, I've decided to start using conventional oil every fifth change. In my last Honda I only ever used Pennzoil synthetic and it treated me well, so I went with Pennzoil conventional for this change. Normally I stick strictly to Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-20 in this car, changing every 4-5k miles, even though the factory service manual says to change every 10k miles with no mention of synthetic oil. I am at 253k miles on this engine and it burns a quart about every 2500 - do any of you switch oil viscosity at higher mileage to compensate for wear? Would it make a difference?

My check engine light for a tired catalytic converter has been on for quite a while now, too, and with Colorado's once-every-two-years emissions test rolling around I've got to get that taken care of, so parts are on the way. Both O2 sensors were ordered, just to be safe. Denso sensors are factory equipment, so I sprung for those, but an OEM cat is too expensive for now, so I'm hoping a direct-fit cat from Walker will be reliable. Please, oh please, don't let rusted bolts make this job a pain in the ass...
My taurus began to do the same at 118k mikes where it would burn halfway through changes. Called for 5-20 and IIRC i stepped up to 5-30 for a few changes until i switched to high milage synthetic oil from motocraft.

How are you liking the Challenger? Even with me being a Ford guy as far as domestics go, if the Challenger weren't so tall (and heavy), I'd probably have one. I am in love with the styling. Chrysler really nailed it, especially with the details in the later model years like yours, but it should have been down around the size of the Mustang and Camaro. It just looks... stretched, vertically. That's just me, though. Maybe the size is better for handling the power in the Hellcats and Demons, I don't know. Does it feel like a big car when you're driving around in it? I've heard the Magnums can mentally shrink on you with a good suspension upgrade, which shared the same platform.
I'm loving it. I've only had it for about 4 months now but it's a huge difference from the car I had before. I had a 2003 Mazda Protege5 for about 16 years and decided it was time for a change, BIG change. It did feel large and bulky at first but now I'm used to it. I agree with you on the size between the Mustang and Camaro but I think Dodge nailed it on the styling. This pic is when I traded in the old for the new.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190923-185753_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190923-185753_Gallery.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 17
I'm loving it. I've only had it for about 4 months now but it's a huge difference from the car I had before. I had a 2003 Mazda Protege5 for about 16 years and decided it was time for a change, BIG change. It did feel large and bulky at first but now I'm used to it. I agree with you on the size between the Mustang and Camaro but I think Dodge nailed it on the styling. This pic is when I traded in the old for the new.

My taurus began to do the same at 118k mikes where it would burn halfway through changes. Called for 5-20 and IIRC i stepped up to 5-30 for a few changes until i switched to high milage synthetic oil from motocraft.

Yeah, I forgot about the "high mileage" versions of oil; I do use the high mileage version of any oil I get. "70k miles" is still just breaking in a Japanese car, though, haha.

on a related note, for those of you interested in antique machinery, don't use synthetic oil in 40yr old japanese cars... it kinda just dissappears after a thousand miles or so

^ I'll keep an eye on my burn. It doesn't seem to be getting worse.

More high-mileage maintenance, the girl's gettin' old. Installed new cat and O2 sensors tonight to get rid of my Check Engine Light so I can pass emissions next week. Smooth install - I didn't even have to cut any of the quarter-million-mile-old bolts off! I don't know how I've managed to go this long without upgrading the whole exhaust system, though. The (new) rear gasket may or may not be leaking, I can't tell. I hear a hissing when accelerating, but plugging the exhaust tip by hand to build pressure when it's cold doesn't produce the hiss to indicate a leak. I've only put a night's driving around on it, though, so I'm hoping it's just something that needs to break in...

There was also a DTC in there for "MAP sensor reading unexpectedly high" or something funny like that. A friend cleared it, so I'll see if it returns.

*ED. 10/13 - After driving through a tank and a half of fuel, I got back under the car to have a second look. The "sshh" noise is still there on acceleration, but I can't see any black leaking from either gasket. The front donut squeaks with engine movement, though, so I'll have to figure something out there. The cat must be higher flowing, too, because the exhaust is slightly droney at low speeds now. The trade-off is that it sounds a bit meaner up around 7,000rpm! The best part, though, is that I'd lost about 40 miles a tank for a while on that old cat, and my fuel economy has returned.

Last edited:
My girlfriend booked my car in for a full detail and roof treatment to celebrate our first year together. 3 stage machine polish, 2 layers of roof protection, an engine bay clean and leather feed for the interior. Looks factory fresh, apart from the minor chips and scuffs expected of a 12 year old car.

Webp.net-resizeimage.png

Well on my way to work.
Bang Check Engine light turns on, as well as Hill Start Assist and TCS lights, these two come on with check engine lights.
P0106

So on my way back home,
Still have a check engine light Hill Start Assist and TCS lights, go around a roundabout.
ABS turns on.
Then the coolant light starts flashing blue and red and the Handbrake light flashes randomly.
Before I get to the street I live on the coolant light and handbrake light turn off

So Joy, an electrical issue too.

I done a quick clean of the MAF sensor.
Need to check how to clean the MAP sensor.
As well as start looking into diagnostic testing for this sensor

Not so much to my car, but for my car I built something just like the organizer below. And my goodness it is glorious.

b462590a323ede253e01af179b5ec61d.jpg

I'm tweaking it now. I realized recently that it's actually easier to put the oil back in the 5 qt containers to take in for recycling if you have two outlets. Allow me to explain. Most of my oil changes are over 5 qts. So I have a pan full of, say, 6 qts of dirty oil that needs to go back into 5 qt containers. Instead of pouring it directly into the 5 qt container, and trying to hold everything still, it's easier to just pour the drain pan into the apparatus shown above, and let it do the filling for me. I even put a screw in the wall to hold the pan upright and let it drain overnight.

So my oil change cleanup consists of me carrying, say, 6qts of oil in a pan over to this thing above, and pouring it in and hanging it on the wall in one motion, and then closing the closet door (it's in a closet) and leaving. Could not be easier.... except for the fact that 6 qts doesn't fit in a 5qt container.

As a result, I'm building a separate, smaller one of the above for precision pouring to fill up a container. Then when that one is over, I move the drain pan over and pour it into the other contraption and hang it to let it drain. Now I've got a topped off 5qt container ready to go back, and another one catching the leftovers.

I absolutely love this thing.

Edit:

And in case you're wondering, I pretty much have to change the oil on all 5 cars every year. For the ones in storage, I change the oil to put them away. For the ones that run all year, they go through enough mileage to need a change roughly annually. So 5 oil changes per year means lots use for this thing.

Last edited:
Installed a ton of parts and got a tune. Sounds a little like a WRX now and the interior is full of transmission whine during deceleration but it's fun.

20200110_123242.jpg

Not really exciting to anyone other than myself, but I paid off my car today. 1.5 years early, too. It's a big weight off, financially, and now I feel more comfortable doing things with the car, such as auto-x and modding.

First thing's first, though, new tires and some maintenance. I am planning a road trip across the United States and back. Something like 6,000 miles of driving. 👍

I upgraded my exhaust. Got Flowmaster 44 mufflers. I'm really happy with how much of a difference it makes in sound (and how good my car actually sounds!). Not super loud, but elegant, deep and rumbly. Just what I wanted. It now sounds like a V6 Camaro. I did not expect anything different in terms of performance, but surprisingly my car does feel noticeably stronger.

20200506_154041.jpg

And man, do these tips look nice!

Back