What have you done to your car today?

nothing some Yamabond wont fix!

Or a hose clip?

Took my car for its first road test tonight after replacing the front bushes. What a difference, it really surprised me how much better it is now. It used to creak, knock, squeak, all kinds of nasty noises. They're all gone (well, except those coming from the rear, the kits haven't arrived for the back components yet). Steering response increased, steering stability increased.

I really am impressed. I knew there'd be an improvement but wow. My recommendation for any owner of an older car - one of the first mods, do the bushes. If they haven't been replaced before then I won't lie, it can be a real pain in the ass job, in my case anyway. It took quite some time to remove the old bushings from the housings as they are a press fit item, luckily I had a hydraulic tool that worked beautifully, although if you need to you local garage would probably press them out for you.

The rest of it is pretty straight forward. I struck a few problems but all solvable fairly easily. The thread on the body of the car that had the stripped bolt in it cleaned up ok with a tap - the new bolt had a bit more movement but tightened up good with no signs of stripping, and I used Loctite on it so it should be good - I'll take it for another drive then jack it up and reinspect it in the weekend.

All in all, a happy man. Still waiting on my rims though :grumpy: although I want to wait for the new bushes and an alignment before I fit them anyway.

^A hose clip would be good too.
However I don't have any that are that small.

But thank you on your little suggestion about bushings, I didn't know they weren't really expensive. So Maybe that's also what I will do.

Replaced the rear brake rotors and pads with new ones. Just got the car three weeks ago and found out the hard way that the pads were worn down to the backing :ouch: Tried to get the rotors turned but the local mechanic said they were worn down too far. I'm guessing that the rear rotors were the original ones put on by FoMoCo in October 2003, when the car rolled through the assembly line.

Given what I've seen with the spark plugs I replaced, the air filter, the condition of the differential fluid, and the oil when I changed it, this car was owned by someone that thought they only had to put gas in the car. Ag.

Got the transmission fluid changed out today. Since it was easier filling the transmission by popping out the center console pieces that mount around the shifter, my wife and I went ahead and sanded those down, masked them off, and painted them so they'd look at least a little better. Not the best job in the world but for a rattle-can paint job they look alright.

Center console before:

DSCF3016-1.jpg

Center console after:

DSCF3221.jpg

Better pictures would have been in order. C'est la vie :lol:

In all honesty painting the console was a spur of the moment kind of thing. I needed to remove it, it had a bunch of paint chips and paint flaking off, so I just went with it and repainted it.

Last edited:
Just removed the starter in my sister's Taurus today.

A speed sensor issue I've been having with my car turned out to be the bits that are inside the tranny, so I'm just going to replace the entire transaxle with a low-mileage JDM unit. Should be ordered in two weeks. I'm also saving up for some suspension, so by this time next month I shall be sitting two inches lower and cornering much flatter! Koni STR.T shocks, and Progress springs & rear sway bar. After the shock of polyurethane motor mounts I've learned my lesson and will ease into stiffness.

There's every excuse not to do it now. For one, the plan is to move everything over to a coupe in two or three years, which WILL have a factory manual. Despite being the same exact chassis as the sedan, it just looks infinitely cooler (but still has great rear seat space!). The other reason is cost. I'm not even bothering to go for an LSD simply because I see it as a waste of cash for the long run.

1) Basic suspension

2) Rear disc & 5-lug conversions + '98-spec JDM Integra Type R wheels in Championship White (next year's big project)

3) Buy Jackson Racing Prelude roots supercharger for a test fit (worry about running it later; just need it to fit in the bay). It's dicontinued, but used kits crop up for sale every now and then for $2-3k.

4) Move on up to an LX coupe. I have this car's life very thoroughly planned out.

You have a lot of Accord love. Don't be afraid to look around every once and a while before you go about making plans a car in advance... Just saying. You may see something different and awesome but because you've based all your plans so far ahead you may let it pass by, so to speak.

CyborgGT. You've had plenty of opportunities and reasons to go manual on your car, yet you make excuses each time.

Just do it. One with an lsd as well, and just take it with you into the coupe.

LSD really makes things much better. My car accelerates a LOT better in all conditions, and is much more predictable. I can't imagine how much more I would have been able to get out of my Civic if I had an LSD trans. In a H22 car with a supercharger, it would just be stupid not to have one.

And get rid of that H22 while you're at it. Automatic H22's were rated at about 160hp from the factory, the manual ones were 190-195. It'll be a lot of trouble trying to get those 30hp back, and in the end probably not worth it.

You've been doing it wrong from the get-go.

And get rid of that H22 while you're at it. Automatic H22's were rated at about 160hp from the factory, the manual ones were 190-195. It'll be a lot of trouble trying to get those 30hp back, and in the end probably not worth it.

You've been doing it wrong from the get-go.

I thought he had an MTX H22, just bolted to a slushbox?

I'm not making excuses, I'm carefully planning ahead. It would be a gigantic waste of money and effort to convert my auto into a manual when I'm just going to ditch it for a car with a manual already in it. And as far as my future being so planned out this far in advance... I've been thinking and doing research on it all over the last couple years and still am. I want the supercharger now simply to make sure how it fits in the Accord's engine bay. It's designed with a 5th-gen Prelude in mind so clearance is tight. But I've seen it done once before. I mean to fit the blower and pulleys for peace of mind, then take it out and begin building the engine and transmission after I have the manual car. No point running it on the automatic, let alone getting an auto tuned and dyno'd.

And since when was there a power difference in auto H22s vs manuals? F20B, yes, but I've never heard that about the H. JDM H22As (what I got) have 200bhp, while the American H22A1 had I believe 190. 5th-gen 'lude SH's had... 220?

(PS3 limits...)

I could get the coupe before the supercharger, but while I see tons of these cars on Craigslist, the JRSC is only getting rarer.

I have put a HUGE amount of thought into the goals of this project. Relatively insignificant things like wheels or specific suspension parts change every now and then, yes, but the general idea has remained constant: H22 supercharged to roughly 250-275whp, great handling, and an at least moderately comfortable interior. More difficult feats have been accomplished.

I've looked into aftermarket LSDs and final drives for the US manual transmissions, rather than getting a JDM tranny with one already in it, btw.

Just realised that comment on not getting an LSD could have sounded like I meant for the 5spd. I meant I'm not getting an LSD auto when I go to order one here soon. Just need it to last until the coupe!

Last edited:
Earlier in the week I headed out to the garage to fit my new Milltek exhaust https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5487639#post5487639

But as usual, Nothing is ever simple and I arrived at the garage with Steam bellowing out the front! Popped the bonnet, removed the Radiator Cover and sure enough..... the Radiator Core had sprung a leak and was spurting water out like a mini jet wash! Since you can't get the stock item any more there was only 2 options, a brand new Ally Radiator at around £450 or get my Radiator Re-Cored at around £100 so I opted for the Re-Core and now I'm without a car until Wednesday :(

Waxed it. Sooper shiny.

0imag0249.jpg

0imag0251.jpg

Also, wheels are probably going gold here soon. Getting really tired of the gunmetal, and don't have the willpower to polish them.

Beautiful! I've always loved those 240s, have you done much to it?
Other than the main things like wheels, coilovers, and LSD, it's kind of a bunch of little stuff, but it's been a good amount of funds put in. I've got a thread about it on here.

Also, does anybody know anyone selling a Recaro Pole Position? I really want one, and they're backordered until August.

I put some R-134a in my system. And some of the sealant junk. So If it works I think I'll put some more refrigerant in. And if it don't then I will rip the system out! :)

Took off Tein coilvers, took off comptech exhaust, swapped stock wheels back in. Slowly reverting everything to stock so I can put it up for sale

New shocks arrived today!

img03321.jpg

img03341p.jpg

I've got a question though...

My coils are going to be blue. Needless to say, blue coil springs around red shocks are going to look hideous.

What color should I get my shocks painted and is it possible to powder coat shocks? I'm thinking not because of all that heat in there...

New shocks arrived today!

I've got a question though...

My coils are going to be blue. Needless to say, blue coil springs around red shocks are going to look hideous.

What color should I get my shocks painted and is it possible to powder coat shocks? I'm thinking not because of all that heat in there...

Woo hoo! Nothing like a set of new shocks to keep things holding smoothly 👍

Out of curiosity, would you consider something like these?

shoxskinz_westfall_sprint_1.jpg

foz_shock_cover_blue_yellow.jpg

http://www.speedpartz.com/shock_covers.htm

Might not be the greatest looking, but they'll definitely look better than the red shock/blue springs ;)

It would probably be much easier to paint the springs.
I'm not sure what car this is for but the only person that would likely ever see the colors of springs and shocks would be you, when under the car.

I'm not sure what car this is for but the only person that would likely ever see the colors of springs and shocks would be you, when under the car.

Not a bad idea, either. Either that or have them rubbercoated since they'll flex.

I know, I'm a bit obsessive that way. :dunce:

I'd prefer to work with the blue color, since my car is blue, the engine is blue, and I like the color blue. :D

Can't I just mask the moving parts, wire brush, and spray?

Woo hoo! Nothing like a set of new shocks to keep things holding smoothly 👍

Out of curiosity, would you consider something like these?

http://www.speedpartz.com/shock_covers.htm

Might not be the greatest looking, but they'll definitely look better than the red shock/blue springs ;)

I doubt those would fit between the shocks and the spring since the shocks are mounting inside the coils. Either way, I prefer paint. Interesting suggestion though.

Last edited:
Mask the piston, sure, as long as you don't get any contaminants on it. How would you tape it off to get complete coverage of the shock and not get adhesive on three piston? Would blue painters tape be safe in this situation?

I just wouldn't care. At least people could see you bought good name brand shocks and not some cheap KYBs or something.

Looking on the internet, it looks like you just scuff them up and rattle can them.
Mask the piston, sure, as long as you don't get any contaminants on it. How would you tape it off to get complete coverage of the shock and not get adhesive on three piston? Would blue painters tape be safe in this situation?

Good question... That'll take some looking into...

I just wouldn't care. At least people could see you bought good name brand shocks and not some cheap KYBs or something.

It came with extra Koni stickers that I plan to put on when the paint is done.

Back