What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,142 comments
Sorry for double post.
@Outspacer

I did just double check and found out that it is an M.2 NVMe.
Just they used a SATA SSD.
So I was right with it being an M.2 NVMe SATA. :lol:

Well then.
IMG_20190821_075315.jpg
IMG_20190821_075341.jpg

Last edited:
@TJ13 NVMe and SATA are two different protocols. M.2 is a form factor, in which NVMe (and sometimes SATA) SSD's come in. An SSD is either NVMe or SATA, not both.

The SSD in that picture is of the M.2 form factor, you can check the protocol by searching up the model number.

Edited cause I confused myself for a bit :lol:

Last edited:
@TJ13 NVMe and SATA are two different protocols. M.2 is a form factor, in which NVMe (and sometimes SATA) SSD's come in. The SSD in that picture is an M.2 SATA SSD.

I know but again from all the product pages that I have read that it only supported M.2 SATA, which in fact it can take a NVMe.
They just used a SATA SSD instead of a NVMe SSD.

So when I first looked at it the SSD was M.2 SATA and that's what the product page said and that's what ASUS has even said that it only takes SATA m.2.
When you can see clearly that it is an M.2 NVMe slot and not a SATA slot.

Edit:
I will look into the Mobo when I get done with some running to do and see if it's only SATA capable or nvme capable or both, (Which I would assume both if it's an SATA SSD in a nvme slot)

Last edited:
So I was right with it being an M.2 NVMe SATA. :lol:

Almost... we could say that the socket supports an M.2 NVMe / SATA ;) Or should do either, anyway. There's a very slight chance that it somehow doesn't support NVMe, but I think that's highly unlikely (especially with that other site having NVMe drives in the spare parts list).

While you're in there, can we have a photo of the whole insides? I couldn't find one on the web. Still curious about the 2.5" drive situation.

Not sure what I'd recommend buying now! I'm not totally convinced by the Crucial P1 NVMe, TBH, just going by reviews since I haven't had one. Out of the 970 EVO 500GB at $90 and the 970 EVO plus at $117, I think I'd just go for the 970 EVO still, the read speeds are very similar. Another one worth considering is the ADATA SX8200 Pro at $68 - I was about to buy the 1TB version of it when Amazon popped up with 33% off the 970 EVO making it almost the same price.

The MX500 M.2 SATA at $67 is still a solid choice, but when extra perfomance can be had for not much more...

I dunno!

Last edited:
Almost... we could say that the socket supports an M.2 NVMe / SATA ;) Or should do either, anyway. There's a very slight chance that it somehow doesn't support NVMe, but I think that's highly unlikely (especially with that other site having NVMe drives in the spare parts list).

While you're in there, can we have a photo of the whole insides? I couldn't find one on the web. Still curious about the 2.5" drive situation.

Not sure what I'd recommend buying now! I'm not totally convinced by the Crucial P1 NVMe, TBH, just going by reviews since I haven't had one. Out of the 970 EVO 500GB at $90 and the 970 EVO plus at $117, I think I'd just go for the 970 EVO still, the read speeds are very similar. Another one worth considering is the ADATA SX8200 Pro at $68 - I was about to buy the 1TB version of it when Amazon popped up with 33% off the 970 EVO making it almost the same price.

The MX500 M.2 SATA at $67 is still a solid choice, but when extra perfomance can be had for not much more...

I dunno!

I thought about that P1 but then I am thinking should I just go with the EVO even though it's possibly a "Christmas" thing?

Edit:
As soon as all these updates get done again I will get back inside and take a look.

Edit2:
Guess I will get the MX500 that will be here either tomorrow or Friday.
So I guess I will go with that one.

Last edited:
I thought about that P1 but then I am thinking should I just go with the EVO even though it's possibly a "Christmas" thing?

Edit:
As soon as all these updates get done again I will get back inside and take a look.

Edit2:
Guess I will get the MX500 that will be here either tomorrow or Friday.
So I guess I will go with that one.

If it were me I'd buy the 970 EVO, I mean, I did, twice (thrice if you count the 960 EVO before that) :lol:

Recommending things is hard because of budget, availability, etc, etc, so I just give choices :)

If it were me I'd buy the 970 EVO, I mean, I did, twice (thrice if you count the 960 EVO before that) :lol:

Recommending things is hard because of budget, availability, etc, etc, so I just give choices :)

Once I saw that it was a SATA version of the M.2 didn't see that it was an nvme version until after looking at it for the 2nd or 3rd or 4th time.
:lol:

Anyways here is the main inside.
IMG_20190821_103017.jpg

Once I saw that it was a SATA version of the M.2 didn't see that it was an nvme version until after looking at it for the 2nd or 3rd or 4th time.
:lol:

Anyways here is the main inside.
View attachment 844997

I reckon because each motherboard design is shared a lot between different models it would probably be more expensive to make a version that only supports SATA on its M.2!

Cool, thanks. So it's got the 2.5" cage, and is that the cable as well? If it is I dunno why they made such a fuss over having to send it in for a 2.5" upgrade! :confused: Seems to have all the bits and slots any laptop would have.

Anyway it would be easy to stick a 2.5" drive in there as well if you ever wanted more storage in future.

I reckon because each motherboard design is shared a lot between different models it would probably be more expensive to make a version that only supports SATA on its M.2!

Cool, thanks. So it's got the 2.5" cage, and is that the cable as well? If it is I dunno why they made such a fuss over having to send it in for a 2.5" upgrade! :confused: Seems to have all the bits and slots any laptop would have.

Anyway it would be easy to stick a 2.5" drive in there as well if you ever wanted more storage in future.

Has the drive bay for it but not the slot for the connector.
(Which is I think where the whole you can't have both)

Has the drive bay for it but not the slot for the connector.
(Which is I think where the whole you can't have both)

Oh yeah, I see it now having zoomed in a bit, what I thought was cable is just a grounding strap. I guess the cable would go into the connector that's near the screw of the M.2. Few bucks on ebay for a cable, lol, for now just good to know it's there in case you need it later.

Oh yeah, I see it now having zoomed in a bit, what I thought was cable is just a grounding strap. I guess the cable would go into the connector that's near the screw of the M.2. Few bucks on ebay for a cable, lol, for now just good to know it's there in case you need it later.

Given my old one had a 320 GB HDD in it.
So now 500 GB is plenty.

Also I think UPS messed up. :lol:
Said I missed package when in fact I got it.

Again sorry for double post
@Outspacer

This is what Asus said to me when I asked about nvme.
The engineers have confirmed this unit uses NGFF 2280 SATA: 512G or NGFF 2280 PCIE: 512G, but it does NOT use NVME.

But the key setup has it for M, not B.
So correct me if I am wrong but do their engineers know what they do?

Again sorry for double post
@Outspacer

This is what Asus said to me when I asked about nvme.
The engineers have confirmed this unit uses NGFF 2280 SATA: 512G or NGFF 2280 PCIE: 512G, but it does NOT use NVME.

But the key setup has it for M, not B.
So correct me if I am wrong but do their engineers know what they do?

Honestly I don't think they do!!

First, I had to look up NGFF since it's an obsolete term for M.2 I'd never heard :lol:

Second, the PCIE choice they give IS what we (and Samsung, and, well, pretty much everybody) would call M.2 NVMe :lol:
(Non Volatile Memory express - in other words, SSD on PCIe)

I suspect their designers know how to design, but these 'engineers' appear to be on the level of the part-swapping service techs who swap in whatever's on the worksheet, from labeled storage bins. Customer support probably doesn't have access to anyone higher up the food chain.

Did they really say NOT NVMe?!

I suspect their designers know how to design, but these 'engineers' appear to be on the level of the part-swapping service techs who swap in whatever's on the worksheet, from labeled storage bins. Customer support probably doesn't have access to anyone higher up the food chain.

Almost makes me want to take it down to a dedicated computer place and just ask them if they know or go back to the college and ask one of my professors (Which is probably the better way to do)

Wouldn't surprise me if some of those "engineers" made IKEA furniture :lol:

Edit:
I emailed the only professor that is still there back when I was there. Maybe he can help me out to figure out if it's an actual NVMe or if it's acting like an NVMe but can only accept SATA (due to the MoBo)

Last edited:
Almost makes me want to take it down to a dedicated computer place and just ask them if they know or go back to the college and ask one of my professors (Which is probably the better way to do)

Wouldn't surprise me if some of those "engineers" made IKEA furniture :lol:

Well obviously if you could borrow an NVMe drive to try out, or have a friendly computer place nearby (that wouldn't mind you ordering off Amazon once you've abused their friendliness!), that would settle it. Professors are not known for giving definitive answers, much like I can't :lol:

Their reply may have been crap, but if anything I'd take it as further confirmation that M.2 NVMe will work fine in it. I don't trust hardware until I see it working, but at this point I think I'd take the risk; it's very small.

Well obviously if you could borrow an NVMe drive to try out, or have a friendly computer place nearby (that wouldn't mind you ordering off Amazon once you've abused their friendliness!), that would settle it. Professors are not known for giving definitive answers, much like I can't :lol:

Their reply may have been crap, but if anything I'd take it as further confirmation that M.2 NVMe will work fine in it. I don't trust hardware until I see it working, but at this point I think I'd take the risk; it's very small.

If only I had someone to try the NVMe.

But I did ask the professor anyways (Maybe he'll have more insight too)

Regardless I already got a SATA M.2 but I just am curious on if an NVMe would of actually worked. (Without having to spend the money on the disk just to find out it doesn't)

This laptop will support a M.2 NVME being a M and B key and supporting PCIe, not all M.2 slots support SATA so it is good that yours supports both. There are also AHCI PCIe drives so it is correct they say about PCIe support only. Personally think this represents a lot better value than the Crucial SSDs which don't have anywhere near the same write endurance. 500GB WD SN500 $64.99

It is not much of a difference in performance though, for a laptop SATA is quite good due to lower power consumption and temperatures.

There are also AHCI PCIe drives so it is correct they say about PCIe support only.

But... AHCI is for SATA drives, and they didn't say PCIe support 'only'.

Personally think this represents a lot better value than the Crucial SSDs which don't have anywhere near the same write endurance. 500GB WD SN500 $64.99

To put some numbers onto this - MX500 has 180 TTBW vs SN500 with 300 TTBW. Either is plenty for most laptop use cases since 180 TTBW equates to 96 GB written per day for five years. WD's M.2 SATA 500GB Blue has 200 TTBW, similar to MX500. Once you go NVMe it's hard not to choose the 970 EVO which has the same 300 TTBW, or the cheaper ADATA SX8200 Pro with 320 TTBW - both have much better performance than the WD NVMe, and the ADATA is pretty much the same price.

If only I had someone to try the NVMe.

But I did ask the professor anyways (Maybe he'll have more insight too)

Regardless I already got a SATA M.2 but I just am curious on if an NVMe would of actually worked. (Without having to spend the money on the disk just to find out it doesn't)

Quite possibly even if you have the chance to borrow an NVMe at some point you might not be bothered to take the laptop apart again to find out, once it's all working nicely :)

Quite possibly even if you have the chance to borrow an NVMe at some point you might not be bothered to take the laptop apart again to find out, once it's all working nicely :)

Between the whole SSD situation.
Trying to figure out how to use Intel turbo boost is another thing.
Base for the i3 is 2.1 Ghz and turbo is up to 3.9 (Yet I can't seem to find the setting in the bios) :banghead:

Between the whole SSD situation.
Base for the i3 is 2.1 Ghz and turbo is up to 3.9 (Yet I can't seem to find the setting in the bios) :banghead:

I just let laptops do their own thing with clock speeds - cooling is limited so there's not much scope for pushing it, and battery life is a factor.

I just let laptops do their own thing with clock speeds - cooling is limited so there's not much scope for pushing it, and battery life is a factor.

Maybe the Mobo wouldn't even let me either that's a possibility too. :odd:

As long as I can get 100% confirmation that an NVMe will actually load up and work in it then I can say 100% sure that Asus people are IKEA engineers :lol:

Edit:
I got a hold of my professor and had an NVMe drive to try out and he confirmed it was PCIe 3.0 and can run NVMe.

So confirmed that it does run.
Said that the speed of a normal SATA M.2 and NVMe is milliseconds and won't notice much difference right now (Wait a year or two and price of NVMe will go down and then upgrade to it)

Last edited:
I got a hold of my professor and had an NVMe drive to try out and he confirmed it was PCIe 3.0 and can run NVMe.

So confirmed that it does run.
Said that the speed of a normal SATA M.2 and NVMe is milliseconds and won't notice much difference right now (Wait a year or two and price of NVMe will go down and then upgrade to it)

Ah-ha, cool professor :) Glad that we (and any googlers) now know for sure!

I notice it in some suff I do, but most of the time I wouldn't notice if I had SATA instead. It's simply such a massive difference to not have to wait for a mechanical head to move across and settle itself. Prices have fallen so fast on SSDs of all kinds, probably going to continue :)

Ah-ha, cool professor :) Glad that we (and any googlers) now know for sure!

I notice it in some suff I do, but most of the time I wouldn't notice if I had SATA instead. It's simply such a massive difference to not have to wait for a mechanical head to move across and settle itself. Prices have fallen so fast on SSDs of all kinds, probably going to continue :)

Exactly.
But even said that going from a 7200 RPM HDD to a SATA SSD you would know the difference. :lol:

Also he managed to get a Crucial P1 1TB for 100$ :banghead:

Exactly.
But even said that going from a 7200 RPM HDD to a SATA SSD you would know the difference. :lol:

Also he managed to get a Crucial P1 1TB for 100$ :banghead:

That could be their regular price within a few months!
Set some camelcamelcamel watches on some of the ones you fancy, with what seems like stupidly low prices now 💡 It doesn't scan quick enough to catch lightning deals, but drives are usually deal of the day when reduced.

That could be their regular price within a few months!
Set some camelcamelcamel watches on some of the ones you fancy, with what seems like stupidly low prices now 💡 It doesn't scan quick enough to catch lightning deals, but drives are usually deal of the day when reduced.

Never know.
Maybe tomorrow it'll be 50% for a 1TB NVMe.

But my 7200 rpm HDD read/write at 197/151 mbps
SSD is around 550/500 mbps.

So there is some to be seen there but again, first real SSD not the SSHD.

I would imagine it manages itself, based on the power saver modes. Or do you mean changing the speeds? I don't think manufacturers would allow that, especially in a laptop.

I would imagine it manages itself, based on the power saver modes. Or do you mean changing the speeds? I don't think manufacturers would allow that, especially in a laptop.

It said there was a thingy in the bios to enable or disable turbo boost.
Yet cannot seem to find it.

Come to think of it I could of asked my professor when I was there yesterday :banghead:

Back