What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,142 comments
Not so much today, or even yesterday; more like earlier this week:

IMG_20200207_193852780[1].png

New PSU in the old system. Upgrading this year though. 3950X, here I come. :D

when your mouse have hyperscroll but the wheel is out of balance and you don't think it's enough for consumer complaint

m500wheel.jpg

it's Logitech M500, the wheel is aluminium ring with plastic center, inner hole is not in the perfect centre thus wheel is not balanced well

So I got 2 things today.
Not all of the things.

Thermal Paste and CPU.
No Mobo (Out of stock due to a delay in receiving) :banghead:
Ram is tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I recently updated my Xiaomi Mi Box S to Android 9. I started using it again as I bought an HDMI switcher two weeks ago. The Mi Box S is an Android TV set top box. Long ago, I gave up trying to develop for or use Android TV much. One thing I was pleased with was that my Mi Box S didn't have any HDMI issues since I bought an HDMI switcher. It probably helped I disabled any kind of screensaver material to aid in keeping this Mi Box S active. So with the HDMI switcher, I connected my TV, my Mi Box S, and my Roku Streaming Stick.

Besides that, only other real thing I've done lately was open my PC to be used with DLNA stuff, so I may choose to stream media from my PC or other sources. I also have increased my efforts to learn Blender 3D and produce quality models (and even games and game material). I feel more comfortable using 2.79 Blender than 2.8 Blender. However, I do like some things about Blender 2.8, such as the Eevee (I keep thinking Pokémon seeing "Eevee") and changing the material type to stuff like clay or resin or metallic car paint.

So I am debating.
I know that the GPU 1080 Ti will give me the best, but doesn't come in mini itx
I could go with a 1660 super (But still fear there would be some bottleneck)
Then there is the 2060 mini itx but costs a bit more. Gigabyte version as PNY is cheaper (a little)

So in which way should I go?
(Ryzen 5 3600)
Current GPU is 1050 Ti.

Future proofing is always nice. The RTX2060 is a little future proofed as more games start using ray trace. The gtx1080 though. While it doesn't do ray trace well, it's a powerhouse of a card. Ray trace will be an option to turn on for longer than either cards life span.
I guess there question is, what fits your case. Mini ITX is tiny. I have a smasher dual fan asus gtx1070 and a micro ATX. It has maybe a mm between the card and the HDD enclosure. An itx case is that much smaller. Is it possible to use something like an pcie ribbon to place the 1080 parallel with the mobo?

Last edited:
As of right now I am sticking with the 1050 ti.
Once the the announcement of new GPUs from GTC in March prices may tend down.

@Rallywagon I have micro atx, but I also have a wifi PCI slot that ends up with my GPU slot and making airflow kinda crappy.
Mini ITX seemed to go well as it doesn't get above 45c under some load with older games (Granted it's older but nevertheless)

I will have my new MoBo today and I will go to town changing and replacing and building 2 systems :lol:

Edit: Got my first one done.
Although it's missing the Realtek HD Audio Manager. :banghead:

Edit2:

Bye bye MoBo.
Pop it goes.
Burnt and smell coming from this.
IMG_20200215_043748.jpg

Last edited:
So...this computer build... Its been quite the fight. First, the day after building I hose the bios doing an update. Sent the card in for an RMA. Got a new card back. This time I get the bios done easy peasy. I swap over my drives and some thing work and some things dont. Open Hardware sees my motherboard, but isnt seeing any of the sensors... hmmm... well, AI suite II is to old for my mobo. I need AS3. Great, let's uninstall AS2 then.... except, apparently it needs to run I order to uninstall, and since it wont run on my machine now, it wont uninstall...
:indiff:
Ok, so, I mess with this for about 2 hours, but never get AI suite 2 to uninstall, nor do I get AI Suite III to properly install. Fine, I've been meaning to move windows to my SSD, seems to ow is the perfect time for a fresh install. Format the SSD, tey install windows, but its setup for MBR. Bot back to my old windows, swap the drive to GPT, reboot and get windows installed. Perfect, it's running. So I decide I should format the HDD with the old janky windows install... whoops. While installing the asus and nvidia tools, something must have corrupted my windows install, as after reboot I was dropped into the windows recovery program. Which couldn't fix my windows problem. So what's a guy to do? Reinstall of course. Start the installer, pick the drive, give it a format to clear the broken install, and now it wont allow me to pick that drive because GPT...:confused:
That's where I walked away last night. This morning I created a Mint boot drive on my laptop, booted up to the OS, and am doing a full erase format on the SSD, which will get Cinnamon Mint installed. I am going to see how well Wine actually works now. So long as I can get a few choice games working, I may just forget about windows forever more.

I guess I got a bad mobo.
First thing I did once I got everything in was to boot up into bios, set time/date.
Saved and exit and reboot. Changes didn't save. :banghead:
CMOS battery dead.
Then no audio on any ports.
Front or back. :banghead:
Then it just decided to go pop and ded.

Wondering because I got the B450 Aorus M (If memory would of been the issue) but the list does have it as compatible
Don't think it's the CPU since it registered and worked.
Just think that I got a bad one.
Getting the replacement on Monday, and just to make sure everything, when returning the old one I will then go to the college and have it replaced there.

Edit: So hopefully my CPU and RAM are good still.

Last edited:
I guess I got a bad mobo.
First thing I did once I got everything in was to boot up into bios, set time/date.
Saved and exit and reboot. Changes didn't save. :banghead:
CMOS battery dead.
Then no audio on any ports.
Front or back. :banghead:
Then it just decided to go pop and ded.

Wondering because I got the B450 Aorus M (If memory would of been the issue) but the list does have it as compatible
Don't think it's the CPU since it registered and worked.
Just think that I got a bad one.
Getting the replacement on Monday, and just to make sure everything, when returning the old one I will then go to the college and have it replaced there.

Edit: So hopefully my CPU and RAM are good still.
Comrades in PC pains aye?
An update, Mint so far has been amazing. Downloading and installing for Linux has come a long way. It even autodetected my GPU and brought up the drivers that were needed.

Comrades in PC pains aye?
An update, Mint so far has been amazing. Downloading and installing for Linux has come a long way. It even autodetected my GPU and brought up the drivers that were needed.

PC issues are so annoying.
Dead CMOS battery to No audio to just up and blew a component.

So if anyone can confirm that the setup I have would be good?

MoBo: B450 Aorus M (New one coming)
Ram: 2*8GB 3200 Mhz CL16 Corsair LPX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: 1050 Ti
PSU: 750w.
SSD.

PC issues are so annoying.
Dead CMOS battery to No audio to just up and blew a component.

So if anyone can confirm that the setup I have would be good?

MoBo: B450 Aorus M (New one coming)
Ram: 2*8GB 3200 Mhz CL16 Corsair LPX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: 1050 Ti
PSU: 750w.
SSD.
The only issue I could foresee there would be the bios not being updated so not able to launch from a 3ed gen Ryzen.

The only issue I could foresee there would be the bios not being updated so not able to launch from a 3ed gen Ryzen.

Box says Ryzen 3000 ready.
When I got into bios first time it was F50 which is latest.
But then that's when my settings didn't save after save and exit and restart meaning bad cmos battery.
Then I think it just went down hill from there.

Box says Ryzen 3000 ready.
When I got into bios first time it was F50 which is latest.
But then that's when my settings didn't save after save and exit and restart meaning bad cmos battery.
Then I think it just went down hill from there.

A CMOS batteries job is to maintain settings when there is no power being supplied to the motherboard.
When the PC is off(S3 or S5) the power supply is still supplying power from the +5vsb line.

This provides +5volts during "Stand By" which keeps data in RAM if you used S3, it provides USB power, it keeps CMOS settings when the PC is fully off.

A CMOS batteries job is to maintain settings when there is no power being supplied to the motherboard.
When the PC is off(S3 or S5) the power supply is still supplying power from the +5vsb line.

This provides +5volts during "Stand By" which keeps data in RAM if you used S3, it provides USB power, it keeps CMOS settings when the PC is fully off.

I know that, and when I went to save my settings on my very first initial setup in Bios, it didn't save after it restarted.
I changed batteries with my old Mobo well current mobo, and it worked.
I just think I got a bad board, plus the box it came in wasn't the best shape either.
So that's my thinking.
The one I got that went poof, was the closest one just up the road.
New one is coming from KC Kansas.

I know that, and when I went to save my settings on my very first initial setup in Bios, it didn't save after it restarted.
I changed batteries with my old Mobo well current mobo, and it worked.
I just think I got a bad board, plus the box it came in wasn't the best shape either.
So that's my thinking.
The one I got that went poof, was the closest one just up the road.
New one is coming from KC Kansas.

Settings may not save if the system was unstable during POST.
I get it often due to the motherboard deciding that my overclock is not "Stable" despite it passing countless stress tests i've thrown at it.

Settings may not save if the system was unstable during POST.
I get it often due to the motherboard deciding that my overclock is not "Stable" despite it passing countless stress tests i've thrown at it.

This was brand new first test.
Just to see what Bios version I had.
Set time and restarted.
Nothing saved.
Changed CMOS battery and it worked.
But then my sound was all broken.
Said I had no audio card when I had audio drivers that were updated.
Then it pop and quit.

This was brand new first test.
Just to see what Bios version I had.
Set time and restarted.
Nothing saved.
Changed CMOS battery and it worked.
But then my sound was all broken.
Said I had no audio card when I had audio drivers that were updated.
Then it pop and quit.

Turn off the PSU and remove the battery and let the mobo discharge and try again.

Turn off the PSU and remove the battery and let the mobo discharge and try again.

MoBo dead.
Getting replacement tomorrow or Tuesday.
Then will head to college Thursday and install it and use a 2000 ryzen to check bios and everything before doing the 3000

My struggles have also continued. Last night my computer decided to no post again during another reboot. This time I disconnected all the drives, same result of not getting to POST. Then I removed my GC and boom, 3 beeps. It POSTed. It's all put back together and running again. Thankfully. But now I am worried both about the possible bad health of my GC, and equally worried to ever restart my machine.

My struggles have also continued. Last night my computer decided to no post again during another reboot. This time I disconnected all the drives, same result of not getting to POST. Then I removed my GC and boom, 3 beeps. It POSTed. It's all put back together and running again. Thankfully. But now I am worried both about the possible bad health of my GC, and equally worried to ever restart my machine.

3 short beeps or 1 long 2 short?

3 short means RAM issue
1 long, 2 short mean GPU issue.

3 short beeps or 1 long 2 short?

3 short means RAM issue
1 long, 2 short mean GPU issue.
Nah, not a RAM issue. It may have been a long beep. I am not even entirely certain it was the GC either. It's just the process of elimination that makes me think it. I need to grab a can if air from work and give it a really good cleaning.
Anyway, it was the same issue that present before. I tried to restart and the mobo would power up. All of its built in LEDs would light, but it wouldn't POST. No beeps at all, "_" is the only thing to appear, and it would hang there. I disconnected all external devices as well as the hard drives. Same result. Then I removed the GC and it POSTed. Leads me to think its something to do with the GC. I'll have to wait to see if it happens again.

So I got my replacement.
CMOS battery looks fresh.
From the SN on it, it's much more current.
Was made between 1/20-1/26 of 2020
Old one was between 12/23-12/29 of 2019.

Box looks fresh and clean unlike the old one that looks like it may have been kinda sitting on something.
So I should know some kind of idea on setup and everything come Thursday afternoon.
(As I go to college and borrow a Ryzen 2000 series to check bios and update if needed. As that could of maybe been another issue where it could of been done but I cannot say with 100%)

Hopefully a quick in and our and everything is done.

A fresh debian 9 install on my second partition on my freshly acquired X220, I also doubled the ram (8 gigs from the factory 4 gb stick of ram) and prior to that, a 240GB Samsung SSD
Love this little machine!
All it needs now it's a repaste, but I don't have the time to do it right now.

Last edited:
Not so much what I've done to my PC (that's up above somewhere), but what I'm doing for my next PC. And, uh, as I haven't been keeping up to date as I once did, I have a lot of ground to cover in a relatively short amount of time. It's going well thus far and I'm finding myself looking up Micron die revisions and the like, pricing memory kits, weighing the frequency against the CAS Latency to see which is better at a given price point, etc.

Right now I literally have four tabs open with four different DDR4 kits. This is fun. :lol:

Just got a 16gb kit of ram and now am waiting for the Ryzen 1600 AF I ordered to arrive. I'll just need to decide what to do with my 2400G and the 8gb kit I have in currently when 1600 arrives.

So I have some questions and concerns.
That my CPU cooler which is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XP5GFFH/?tag=gtplanet-20

Won't give me clearance with all 4 ram dimms on https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FWY246F/?tag=gtplanet-20

So will it be able too or not.
Is it the stock heatsinks that comes with the Ryzen proc?
To the point, put your RAM in before you put in the heatsink. I gave the spire version if the wraith on a micro ATX and I would have no problem fitting all the DIMMs. However, the one closest to the heatsink is a tight fit. And would be easier installed if done before the heatsink was attached.

Is it the stock heatsinks that comes with the Ryzen proc?

No. It's not the stock.
It's the original one back on the FX 8350 (When bundled)
And I want to use that with the Ryzen 5, but it appears that if I use a low pro ram it looks like I could get by with it. (As per checking right now but can confirm tomorrow when I do the swap with the boards and etc. and hopefully no magic smoke)

Latest Posts

Back