What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,142 comments
Haven't visited my favorite thread in a while. Just finished a living room build. Or HTPC, if you will.

• Ryzen 7 3700x (Upgraded to 5800X3D in my main build last August)
  • Power Color RX 6700 XT
  • Fractal Ridge Case
  • WD SN550 1TB
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
Was my first small form factor build. Was very fun to build in and runs amazing. The two included fans makes it so I can even run the GPU in Zero RPM mode. Thing has my idle temps in the 30s on the GPU. Crazy!

Attachments

• 20230524_062332.jpg
    20230524_062332.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230524_211545.jpg
    20230524_211545.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 7
Still running a 1060?
That's impressive.

I already know my 4060 ti when I get it will bottleneck my r5 3600
I still run a GTX1080.
I do want to upgrade soon.
Thinking of an AMD RX6800 XT but the reference design cards 50% more expensive than the non reference designs and EK does not make water blocks for those non reference designs

I'm still running a Vega 64 - the only demanding games I run are Assetto Corsa/Competizione, all other games I play are old :lol:

I too still have a GTX 1080, but I haven't used it since last March because my a) baby and b) Steam Deck arrived a few months either side. For as long as competent handheld PCs exist I strongly doubt I'll ever buy another desktop, I haven't missed mine at all.

I had a 1050 Ti before I got my rtx 2060 right when pandemic situation started to unfold.
This is the first GPU I got that was kinda on release day. Normally I wait about 2-3 years after release.

So after I got that issue with my new external HDD sorted, something I learned is the program I used can also retrieve files even after they've been deleted. Okay, given how I deleted some songs years ago from our 13-year-old desktop computer that I later regretted deleting, how that computer was rarely cleaned up over the years, and how I once I said this in the 5 random facts about you thread years ago:
1. I have a strange sentiment for files of songs that bring back memories. For example, if I have a song from 8th grade I had good times with and it brings back memories, I like to have the exact file I listened to that day because it has more meaning to me. To the point where if I don't have it, I will go to great lengths to get it.
...you can imagine I was pretty eager to dig into it.

So on Wednesday of last week, I did. Woke up early that morning and started a scan, then once it finished, I went through the scan results and found quite a few that were desirable to me, but I didn't get a whole of time with it since I had to go to a funeral later on. Fortunately, I saved the scan results so I could go back and look at it again later. However, much to my misfortune, our desktop computer is very hit or miss about when it wants to work and it decided not to cooperate with me afterward. Making matters even worse, one of the more important songs to me on that computer I forgot to extract when I had the chance. Won't lie, for a while I was in a pretty awful mood after that.

Then on Monday, I decided to unplug the whole thing, move it to my room and connect it to my TV since the monitor was behaving weirdly. Tried 4 times to get it to work and like before, it of course did not cooperate and just when I was about to give up, rip the HDD out and scrap the rest, it finally decided to work again. Don't know why, but it did, so I proceeded to do what I had wanted to do and grabbed that song I forgot about. Along the way, I noticed there were a lot of audio files that lost their filenames over the years. Given how I was skeptical I would get this computer to work right again after, I took no chances and decided to extract every single audio file from the scan, which was literally 19300+ files, and inspect the mysterious no-name files to see what they really were.

So the next day I did and although I heard some from my youth I didn't exactly want to hear again, it was worth it because I found a pretty sizable number of gems and even some I genuinely thought were gone for good. Some were missing their original file names, but fortunately, I had backed up the old iTunes library itl files. So on Wednesday and Thursday, I went through and restored them and whatever missing metadata they had thanks to those files and I just finished sorting out what was left of them today.

Got to say, this past week has been a wild ride for me in terms of computers, going through all those previously deleted files felt like digging up a graveyard, but it's been well worth it knowing I have reclaimed some songs I regretted deleting years ago. I can honestly say I am pretty happy to finally have them back now! :) Now I wonder what else could be hiding on the other HDDs I pulled out from our past computers... :mischievous: Might go through them sometime soon and see what I can find.

Last edited:
So I was thinking of going to the micro center here in the state for the 5600x3d but that's like so uhh and it's in the cities.
Just thinking if it's still worth it or wait and see about the 5700x or maybe even the 5800x3d (If on sale on prime days)

I began looking at options for a refurbished PC. Getting a newer PC is outside of my budget, and I may not get something great for the budget I intend on having. Some of the refurbished PCs I've seen have infinitely better specs than my current PC. I also feel a lot of what these refurbished PCs is more than enough for my needs than having the latest and greatest. Some of them are a bit interesting. I am not experienced with DisplayPort. Some of these newer PCs and refurbished PCs have DisplayPorts. I think some of the ones I've seen have DisplayPort adapters for HDMI. I also been thinking about what it would be like having to use an SSD for onboard storage as opposed to the disk drives of old. Depending on what deal I can score and what I could get, I may either finally be in line with modern PC users, or I may even be futureproof for a good amount of years. I'll update when I can.

On the topic of actually doing something, I learned I could reduce the frames per second in some games to overcome screen tearing. I played Minecraft and reduced the FPS from its 144 setting to 60. To be the most safe, I should drop it to 50 FPS for my 60 MHz monitor and my 60 MHz HDTV. I may need to find ways to prevent this from happening with some other programs. For example, I sometimes use Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, and both of those programs sometimes have my screen tearing. This may be something I will need to look into for some other programs that may make my PC suffer in trying to not have as much screen tearing.

Ordered this stuff:

Intel - Core i7-13700K 13th Gen 16 cores 8 P-cores + 8 E-cores 30M Cache, 3.4 to 5.4 GHz LGA1700 Unlocked Desktop Processor​

PNY - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card with Triple Fan and DLSS 3 - Black​

CORSAIR - VENGEANCE 32GB (2PK 16GB) 6000MHz DDR5 C36 Desktop Memory - Black​

Samsung - 980 PRO 2TB Internal Gaming SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe​

CORSAIR - CX-M Series CX750M Semi-Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - Black​

Thermaltake - TH240 ARGB Motherboard Sync Edition All-in-One Liquid Cooling System 240mm High Efficiency Radiator CPU Cooler​

GIGABYTE - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 WINDFORCE OC 12G GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card - Black​

I still have to get a case and a couple more things from a local computer store and a co-worker is going to assemble it.

Was bored and felt like messing around with Toy Story 2 on the Gameboy Color today. So I decided to take a ton of screenshots of the background and pieced them together until I had the entire level in one picture.
Scene One.png

Took a lot of time, several hours to be exact, but it was worth it! :) I had been wanting to do this one for years now and I am glad to finally have it done! :D

Note: No Hamm is not glitched, the rest of his body consists of animated sprites and they're not a part of the background.

Last edited:
Parts are starting to roll in for my son's new computer so I was curious how it compares to mine.

After 13 years, it really doesn't even come close...

20230714_124258.jpg

To make it worse, some of the stuff we ordered (DDR5 RAM and corresponding MB) wasn't in the list of parts so I chose the closest I could.

And apparently I'm the proud owner of a gaming raft. :lol:

Decided to go back and do the same thing today and this time I covered the last level of Toy Story 2 on Gameboy Color since it's fairly simple.
Scene Eleven Background.png

I will admit though, I sort of cheated with this one.
Untitled.png
That one patch of bricks right there was not one I could easily get a screenshot of without getting confused since I couldn't really tell where I was. However, I knew the bricks were consistent with the rest, so I just copied and pasted them until it was filled.
Untitled 1.png
And I did something similar with the sky. I knew full well it was nothing but blue in-game because I had seen it numerous times, so I just used the color picker on the blue portion and splashed the color to fill in the rest. No point in making a ton of screenshots of it if it's all the same color. Besides, in the end, theirs no difference compared to how it looks in the game anyways, so who cares? 🤷

This stuff takes way longer than one would expect, but I am happy with the result! :) Won't lie, I think I spent more time getting Andy's House done than everything else since you can't really see past the drain pipe, but fortunately, with the help of a Gameshark code, I was able to make a bunch of screenshots of most of the inaccessible area.

Last edited:
I can officially say I've built my own system now.
20230715_231753.jpg

Migrated pretty much everything from my original setup to a much better case (minus the graphics card, as I upgraded from a 1080ti to an RX 6800 XT). Had a good amount of help putting the original together (as in I plugged a couple of things in and did a poor job of cable management), but decided to take the plunge and did this all on my own. All in all it wasn't nearly as daunting as I thought it would be, and made for a fun learning experience. It's not 100% yet as I need a fan hub and final cable management/case assembly, but I've been at it all day and I'm too tired to bother with that tonight. It posted video first time and didn't explode, so I'm pretty dang pleased with my work. :dopey:

I made this tune incase I wanted my GRUB loader to play a tune at start up.

Wonder if anyone can guess it.

Last edited:
The motherboard for the kids new build

finally came today so we got everything installed, Windows up and running, drivers updated and a game installed.

About the only change that needed to be made from what we planned was having to salvage an unused 120mm fan from my desktop because a shield on his MB was I'm the way of the 140 we had installed. We ended up with two 140mm for intake and two 120mm for exhaust.

GPU ran about 50C under load, CPU was about 32C bu that wasn't while playing a game so I'm not sure where it was running. Probably in the 50C range, too.

Needless to say, he was quite pleased.

Got my new gaming PC home and got it set up. Took a long time to get everything set up. I'm getting an error message that Windows isn't activated so I'll have to message the guy that put it together tomorrow to see what I need to do to fix that. Plus I'm using Windows 11 for the first time so that is going to take a long time to get used to.

The program I use to convert movie formats for PLEX can use both the CPU and Nvidia GPUs for encoding. It was pretty obvious that the new rig would be faster than mine.

The question was just how bad the beating would be.

i5-3660k
GTX 770

DVD converted in 4:55
Blu-ray converted in 1:25:44

i7-12700KF
RTX 3060

DVD converted in 0:56
Blu-ray converted in 18:42

Ouch.

While I was looking around online for my potential next PC, I began to note something while using Task Manager on my current PC. My budget PC from 2014 or so has a quad-core Intel Celeron processor with 1.9 GHz. One thing I didn't notice until last night was how my original clock of 1.9 GHz went up to about 2.3 GHz. So maybe this is what got some of my games to have that extra bit of performance boost when needed. I still want to get a better PC to maybe be able to play some of the modern titles. And speaking of new PC...

I been weighing my options towards a newer PC. I am considering the refurbished PC market. I am either looking at an office mini PC or a very decent small form factor (SFF) PC. I been looking at refurbished mini office versions of the Dell OptiPlex, HP EliteDesk, and Lenovo ThinkCentre- all of which are popular. For the SFF PCs, I was looking at the OptiPlex or one of the snazzy HP ProDesk or EliteDesk models. I began to get an idea of what the larger OptiPlex was like when I went for a doctor's checkup last week. I am NOT considering the OptiPlex tower, mind you. I want my next PC to be at a minimum of 8GB RAM with a 2.9 GHz processor. My recommended specifications for me are 16GB RAM with a 3.4 GHz processor. RAM greater than 16GB and/or a processor greater than 3.4 GHz can future proof me a bit. I am using Steam's minimum requirements for iRacing as kind of a baseline for PC specifications I want my next PC to have, though I do not intend on buying/playing iRacing. I also doubt I can get a decent enough computer that could play a game with more complicated requirements, like Elden Ring or Cyberpunk 2077.

Finally, I began to realize what is possible using a mini PC. I almost thought about getting not one, but two mini PCs- one as my daily PC, and the other as a more media-specific PC. It was what I thought of when I saw PC sticks like from MeLE. A long time ago, I gave up on having an Android TV box for media consumption. I felt a more media-specific PC on a stick would be great for the likes of KODI/XBMC, music streaming, and more. The other PC may not even be considered for basic tasks or even light gaming. I haven't seriously considered this yet. Just thinking about it for now.

Finally, I began to realize what is possible using a mini PC. I almost thought about getting not one, but two mini PCs- one as my daily PC, and the other as a more media-specific PC. It was what I thought of when I saw PC sticks like from MeLE. A long time ago, I gave up on having an Android TV box for media consumption. I felt a more media-specific PC on a stick would be great for the likes of KODI/XBMC, music streaming, and more. The other PC may not even be considered for basic tasks or even light gaming. I haven't seriously considered this yet. Just thinking about it for now.
Have you considered a current-gen Chromecast? They run Android TV and would be a better choice than those cheap PC-on-a-stick while being cheaper.

Last edited:
Have you considered a current-gen Chromecast? They run Android TV and would be a better choice than those cheap PC-on-a-stick while being cheaper.
I have a Chromecast. Sadly, though, when my brother got me a smart TV for Christmas, it's basically been obsolete for me to use. I gave up on Android TV after trying to use it and maybe develop applications for it.

TB
The program I use to convert movie formats for PLEX can use both the CPU and Nvidia GPUs for encoding. It was pretty obvious that the new rig would be faster than mine.

The question was just how bad the beating would be.

i5-3660k
GTX 770

DVD converted in 4:55
Blu-ray converted in 1:25:44

i7-12700KF
RTX 3060

DVD converted in 0:56
Blu-ray converted in 18:42

Ouch.
Clearly a sign that it's time to upgrade from a raft to a speedboat. :D That old 770 must be gagging on data with only 4 gigs of VRAM.
While I was looking around online for my potential next PC, I began to note something while using Task Manager on my current PC. My budget PC from 2014 or so has a quad-core Intel Celeron processor with 1.9 GHz. One thing I didn't notice until last night was how my original clock of 1.9 GHz went up to about 2.3 GHz. So maybe this is what got some of my games to have that extra bit of performance boost when needed. I still want to get a better PC to maybe be able to play some of the modern titles. And speaking of new PC...

I been weighing my options towards a newer PC. I am considering the refurbished PC market. I am either looking at an office mini PC or a very decent small form factor (SFF) PC. I been looking at refurbished mini office versions of the Dell OptiPlex, HP EliteDesk, and Lenovo ThinkCentre- all of which are popular. For the SFF PCs, I was looking at the OptiPlex or one of the snazzy HP ProDesk or EliteDesk models. I began to get an idea of what the larger OptiPlex was like when I went for a doctor's checkup last week. I am NOT considering the OptiPlex tower, mind you. I want my next PC to be at a minimum of 8GB RAM with a 2.9 GHz processor. My recommended specifications for me are 16GB RAM with a 3.4 GHz processor. RAM greater than 16GB and/or a processor greater than 3.4 GHz can future proof me a bit. I am using Steam's minimum requirements for iRacing as kind of a baseline for PC specifications I want my next PC to have, though I do not intend on buying/playing iRacing. I also doubt I can get a decent enough computer that could play a game with more complicated requirements, like Elden Ring or Cyberpunk 2077.

My questions here are:

1) What's your budget?
2) How much physical space do you have for this system?
3) What games and programs are you specifically looking to play/use?
4) Are you able/willing to build a system yourself, or have someone who could help you build one?

If you're looking to play games the office PCs may not be the best option, especially the likes of Dell/HP/Lenovo due to the fact that their designs are mostly proprietary and lock you out of upgradability in the future, and would require an entirely new system as opposed to just upgrading individual components with a DIY build. SFF systems are especially limited due to their size, and likely wouldn't support many (or possibly any, depending on exact model) discrete GPUs; even DIY SFF cases tend to be limited in part compatibility due to their limited internal space. I used to have an SFF Dell computer before my current system, and I can say from experience you can't really "future-proof" something that lacks the ability to be improved in the first place; you're basically stuck with those specs and have to hope that they'll still be relevant for what you want to do over the system's life time. Refurbs can also be hit and miss (all dependent on who did it, what their refurb process is, what life the system led before hand, etc.) so you're best off sticking with first parties if you are set on that route.

However, if you're willing to do a DIY system (and provided you have room for a mid-tower), I put this parts list together from Amazon on something that might fit your spec requirements.

CPU: Ryzen 5 4500 (4.1GHz max boost frequency) - $78
Motherboard: MSI B450M Pro Series Micro-ATX - $75
GPU: MSI Gaming RTX 3060 12GB - $285
RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Create Classic DDR4 16GB - $40 (32GB of the same model RAM is an extra $10)
Power Supply: Seasonic S12III SSR 500W 80+ Bronze - $60
Storage: Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD 1TB -$40
Case: Lian Li Lancool 216 - $100 (Dimensions LWH: 19" x 9.25" x 19.5")
Additional Case Fans: Noctua NF-P14 Redux - $17 (x4)
OS: Windows 11 64 Bit (USB) - $138* (couldn't find official USB releases for sale on Amazon, so this one comes from Newegg)

Total: $883

Depending on what else you want to do you could downgrade the GPU option (I chose the 12GB card as that should have enough VRAM to be relevant for a couple years to play newer triple-A titles since they're just starting to go over the long-standard 8GB minimum). If 8GB is all you think you need, then something like an AMD RX 580 can be had for $100. You could also likely find a slightly smaller case dimension wise, but I chose the Lancool 216 because I can attest to it's build quality, ease of part installation, and airflow for adequate cooling. Either way, that kind of system should have enough performance to be relevant both today and in a few years (err, probably; never know how much more intensive programs and games may become) and is the route I would recommend going if it's within budget. :)

I don't have an exorbitant budget, and I don't intend on having a PC for streaming games at impressive resolutions. I am okay with integrated graphics. I don't need 1080p gaming. I'd only want a custom build PC if I had more than my basic $239 USD budget or if I legitmately won a giveway or contest for a custom PC. Budget-wise, I could only get some PC as long as it is $220 (including tax). Depending on some other factors, the budget may go from $239 USD to $279 USD and even $379 USD at most. Part of me wants to downsize. Best case would be if I got one of the better Beelink or Minisforum PCs.

One thing I have considered was maybe getting an 8GB RAM PC, and then upgrade the RAM to 16GB or even 32GB. I figure maybe a 3.4 GHz processor PC will do just fine and be better with more RAM. I've upgraded RAM before, so I am not as inexperienced here. I never changed a CPU or a motherboard before, so I'd be a bit skittish trying to upgrade either of those.

I am kind of waiting and thinking of what I really want before buying anything.

I don't have an exorbitant budget, and I don't intend on having a PC for streaming games at impressive resolutions. I am okay with integrated graphics. I don't need 1080p gaming. I'd only want a custom build PC if I had more than my basic $239 USD budget or if I legitmately won a giveway or contest for a custom PC. Budget-wise, I could only get some PC as long as it is $220 (including tax). Depending on some other factors, the budget may go from $239 USD to $279 USD and even $379 USD at most.
Ok, that definitely changes the math a bit but that should still be able to get a decent system. Sorry if my recommendation seemed out of touch on the budget; think this clarifies more what you're looking for in a PC and able to afford.

One thing I have considered was maybe getting an 8GB RAM PC, and then upgrade the RAM to 16GB or even 32GB. I figure maybe a 3.4 GHz processor PC will do just fine and be better with more RAM. I've upgraded RAM before, so I am not as inexperienced here. I never changed a CPU or a motherboard before, so I'd be a bit skittish trying to upgrade either of those.

I am kind of waiting and thinking of what I really want before buying anything.
A quick search brought up the 7020/9020 line of Dell OptiPlex as solid sub-$250 PC options, particularly with i7 processors; they also come in SFF flavors like you've mentioned wanting. Amazon seems to have a good number of options like this, this, and this.
As far as DIY computer upgrades/building, I can say first hand that it gets way less daunting after trying it yourself for the first time. Per one of my earlier posts on this page, I migrated my system to a different case and built a computer with zero prior experience and it came out fine. I was afraid the first time around when having some assistance building my PC originally, but when it came time to move everything I decided to soak up plenty of YouTube guides on building and to take each step with patience and care. I'd say the hairiest part of any DIY build is inserting the CPU, as there are fragile pins that can be easily bent if installed improperly (admittedly haven't done this myself yet), but I'm sure you could do it if you were careful. Everything else is pretty much screwing/slotting things into a case (including the motherboard; they're just held in with a few screws around the edges), cable management, and plugging them in. Obviously there's things you need to pay attention to (i.e. seating RAM properly), but overall it's not as difficult as it may seem. If a dummy like me could figure it out, I have confidence that you (or anyone else reading this, for that matter) could do it too. :) But, with all that said, taking time to consider all of your wants before pulling the trigger is good too since it's a big investment.
TB
It's * cough * 2GB * cough *.

Although he does have me looking at parts. :lol:
Oof, I was assuming you had one of the later SKUs, but I suppose it's not intended for anything intense so it makes sense in that regard.

Recently, I placed an order to get a new PC. I wanted to try a couple of firsts. This newer PC will be my first refurbished PC, and it is also my first mini-type PC. I kind of have been wanting to downsize in life. Part of that will consist of the smaller PC I got. I have wanted to get a certain PC that has consistently been the one I wanted to get. That is... until I noticed it had no VGA port. I didn't want to wait to get a piece to use the Expansion Port for the VGA setting, so I went with as complete a PC without having to buy any extra stuff. The only real tradeoffs are getting a PC with 16GB RAM (as opposed to 32GB RAM), about a 3.1 GHz (as opposed to 3.4 GHz) processor, and a quad-core Intel i5 processor (as opposed to a quad-core Intel i7). I think the one I long wanted had a 1TB hard drive while the one I bought has a (give-or-take) 500 GB SSD.

So what PC did I decide on? It was an HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Mini. I couldn't find an HP Elitedesk 800 G3 that I liked or within budget, so I went with a G2 model. I realize I hardly ever play certain games on wild performance levels. Like I said in a past post, I don't need 1080P gaming. I've always been the minimalist, basics kind of person. Never do I consider myself fancy. Even if I had a proper gaming PC, I would not abuse it with absurd levels of performance. Anyhow, I felt okay considering this PC with an i5 6500T and using its integrated graphics. This newer, refurbished mini PC may hopefully get me into playing some more modern PC titles.

I may discuss this PC more once I get it and use it for some time.

It arrived! It arrived! I got my new computer! While trying to work with it, I am liking this HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Mini so far. It was supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I got it a day earlier.

Finally went through with upgrading the CPU cooler.
20230819_184907.jpg

Went with a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 since the price to performance ratio was hard to beat. I also considered the Deepcool AK620 and Noctua NH-D15, but the PA won out due to its price and the fact that it's more or less on par with the others in terms of thermal performance. The Noctua NH-L9 I started with has done an admirable job cooling my 5600x in both the old Asus furnace and my new case, but since I have the room for a proper tower cooler I figured I might as well take advantage of some extra thermal headroom. Thus far the idle temp is about 5-10 degrees C lower than the previous downdraft cooler, so I'd imagine it only gets better once I start pushing it.

And as a bonus, here's a visual comparison of the two coolers.
20230819_184928.jpg

Yeah...not even close. :lol:

Back