What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,142 comments
TB
I have one for the sole purpose of ripping my movies to my PLEX server. Other than that, most everything exists digitally somewhere online.

Same, I have a BD drive because I watch bluray movies, as well as rip them into mkv for ease and backups

Why have an optical drive at all...?

Because unlike apple, people want to have a choice if they use some form of device on their system.
These days people are going F the disc drive, just like apple is going F the 3.5mm jack.

In australia not everything is streamable, Our netflix library has 1/5 content compared the US library.
With no real reason given as to why because the head of netflix keeps changing the reason.

So far I have heard.

The reason is based upon the content viewed.
How much stuff can you really watch?
You're an emerging market.

So you see, the disc drive provides use to some if they want to make the most of their PC.
If your going to use your PC just for games and work, sure you can get rid of it as the software and games can be downloaded.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention in trying to get my new 1TB drive working, I also took advice from one website to disable Windows Search as a means of trying to get the drive to work faster. I managed to put on about 189GB of storage from my 320GB external hard drive onto the 1TB external hard drive. This new drive makes a brief beeping noise about every five seconds or so. I thought initially the sound was made to show it is struggling to try to record over files or anything. But basically, it is to show it is working. I may eventually decide to port over some of my larger files from my PC to this 1TB external hard drive. What I COULD start with are a lot of the different programming files I've stored on here. Perhaps even more of my videos and games would be next. My fairly basic current PC has a little more memory onboard than my 320GB drive, as it has about 449GB. This 1TB drive could back this PC up twice.

There was a time when I mentioned my screen flickering while using Opera, and there was once when the flickering resulted in the screen being glitched over to where I could not try to close the program or do anything. Well recently, the same thing happened when I was using Vivaldi recently. The one solution I saw mentioned online was to disable V-Sync. There is a certain command you use before opening Vivaldi. It ended up working. I may go back to Opera and see if I could use some sort of option to disable V-Sync for when using Opera. I still will use Vivaldi over Firefox because I think it is a great browser.

I forgot to mention in trying to get my new 1TB drive working, I also took advice from one website to disable Windows Search as a means of trying to get the drive to work faster. I managed to put on about 189GB of storage from my 320GB external hard drive onto the 1TB external hard drive. This new drive makes a brief beeping noise about every five seconds or so. I thought initially the sound was made to show it is struggling to try to record over files or anything. But basically, it is to show it is working. I may eventually decide to port over some of my larger files from my PC to this 1TB external hard drive. What I COULD start with are a lot of the different programming files I've stored on here. Perhaps even more of my videos and games would be next. My fairly basic current PC has a little more memory onboard than my 320GB drive, as it has about 449GB. This 1TB drive could back this PC up twice.

There was a time when I mentioned my screen flickering while using Opera, and there was once when the flickering resulted in the screen being glitched over to where I could not try to close the program or do anything. Well recently, the same thing happened when I was using Vivaldi recently. The one solution I saw mentioned online was to disable V-Sync. There is a certain command you use before opening Vivaldi. It ended up working. I may go back to Opera and see if I could use some sort of option to disable V-Sync for when using Opera. I still will use Vivaldi over Firefox because I think it is a great browser.

Use a program called Diskcheck up by passmark.
It is a free S.M.A.R.T monitoring tool that sits in the system tray(you have to configure this but it is easy) but this will warn you if any hard drive or solid state drive is starting to fail the S.M.A.R.T tests.

While not expressly PC related, I was having issues with my internet speed dropping from around 75Mb to, on occasion, less than 1Mb. Power cycling the modem took care of it but the speed would drop again in a few days.

In doing some looking, it appears that it was actually the router was the culprit as Netgear has some vulnerability issues. I installed their Beta patch firmware last week and, at lest so far, everything is working properly again. Now I just need to keep my eyes open for the "real" firmware instead of the Beta.

The new 1TB drive has its own utility for S.M.A.R.T. Actually, I downloaded the Seagate Tools for Windows, which includes some diagnostic tools. Seagate actually is the brand for both of my external hard drives. Some of the stuff on my older external drive may get permanently moved over to the 1TB drive. I keep some of the older files on there in case I want to load up files from my former PC. I used my older PC to be able to play games that would cripple the available space on my previous PC, such as rFactor. I basically have my older external drive to ease up the memory usage as well as possibly using it as extra storage for certain other systems.

Semi retired my good old laptop. My wife bought us a new one. I was going to pinch the SSD out of it and put it in my gaming PC, but it's still a good laptop and I didn't want to put it out to pasture, so what to do...
Figured I'd make a mount to attach it to my rig.
Rig:
IMG_20161212_205241_zpskbizqtlg.jpg

Mount install:
DSC_0012_zpsffiprqkb.jpg

DSC_0013_zpsflhxxrai.jpg

DSC_0014_zps3dmiabiu.jpg

I'll use it for telemetry / live lap timing for iRacing using iSpeed. Tried it out, it's quite handy to have delta and split info on another screen as well as fuel. Having overlays on the screen breaks the immersion. Made the mount for the laptop out of some left over angle section I had lying around. It can double as a screen to have races such as the Daytona 24h and Spa 24h streaming on while I'm doing other things. Maybe. I don't really know yet, but it's kind of rad.

So now I have a total of 5 screens. 3 on the actual rig for triple screen duties, laptop above for telemetry and the phone mounted to the wheelbase for my digital dash. Nuts.

Finally got some pedals rigged up for the G27 today. Pulled out the old rig I had and broke it down. I left the pedals in their frame since I couldn't find the original case for them.
Bought AC yesterday, and having pCars and Dirt Rally I figured I'd at least figure out something temporary to get them usable. No pics on account of the complete ugliness of the thing. But I am conjuring up a better solution. And that I will have pics of.
I also need a better solution than my current chair. The old desk chair rotates on to many different axis to be comfortable while racing. Think I might just weld it up some to keep it all in place and replace the wheels with pads.
I gotta say though. It's been interesting playing with the oculus rift. My first experience was with pCars, doing some kart racing. I could do maybe 3 laps and had to quit or risk a nasty situation. I had an old AMD 380 though. Recently I upgraded to a 1070 and this was my first time on the track with it. Put in about an hour's worth of racing and fiddling with settings in pCars without getting dizzy.
I also went two stages in Dirt Rally. It was great! I can't remember what stages I was on, but i was in the Alpine. Fun little car. It is really quite immersive and car control is a lot better. I have a far better sense of where the car is on track and it's sense of speed. But going over some of the jumps, bumps, did and other extreme elevation changes makes my gut drop just a bit. Finland is going to be interesting.

I started unhooking my new one terabyte external drive before starting my computer. There would be times my PC would try to boot up and freeze. It would then load everything up if I were to detach that external drive. Sometimes it will work when booting, some other times it won't. I just unhook the drive before starting the computer.

Installed a 750ti SC onto my computer. 1080p has never looked much better :P Now to download the games I bought but couldn't play before :lol:

Not today but last week i RMA'd my motherboard because of a failed/corrupted bios update. That was also a good moment to clean my PC. Especially the fan of the CPU.

Not today but last week i RMA'd my motherboard because of a failed/corrupted bios update. That was also a good moment to clean my PC. Especially the fan of the CPU.

You could reflash?

Modern day motherboards can allow you to reflash with a bad bios.

Other than that, I follow the guidelines of dont do bios updates unless needed.

You could reflash?

Modern day motherboards can allow you to reflash with a bad bios.

Other than that, I follow the guidelines of dont do bios updates unless needed.

I tried that already with Asus CrashFree Bios 3. But it wouldn't boot or POST (no beeps).

I finally got around to sorting out my drives, since cloning my old boot drive to a new SSD I've had a visible system partition and the recovery partition was sitting between the old C: drive and about 250GB of free space, so I've moved the recovery partition off so I can expand C: and hidden both the system and recovery partitions, so now I'm back down to five drives visible in Windows.

Next I want to RAID 0 my two 512GB (SATA) SSDs and possibly my two 256GB SSDs so I only have three drives visible, but I'll need some space to move files off the SSDs as they are first. That said, they've only got games on them so I could just delete them and reinstall later.

Earlier tonight, I interpreted code from a tutorial and made my own edits to make my own prototype. For my experience level, I am best suited towards learning from other sources before coming up with my own material. I made my own prototype for a platform game using ActionScript 3 and Flixel. My IDE was FlashDevelop. There is still a ways to go for me to really make the most of my experience, but I am happy with where I am at so far.

My new Python project: Coding a GT6-compatible course maker, using a polygon frame instead of anchors to design the track. The benefits are that it's much quicker and easier to create a layout as there are fewer control points to work with (roughly half the amount), that the corners are automatically rounded and that they try to preserve their corner radius when you change the layout.

Here is a screenshot, showing what it can do right now. The grey lines is the outline of the polygon and the corner points are marked with a blue border. The black path is the track that is created from the polygon and the white dots indicate where the anchors are placed, which are used when the track is constructed in the game. Below each corner point is a text displaying the radius setting for the corner (this is the maximum radius of the corner - it shrinks automatically when there is not enough space to fit the full radius).

Skärmbild (17).png

I am trying to get my old Logitech Driving Force Pro to work on my current PC. The wheel is recognized by the system, but when I try to play a game or something with it, it stops working. It isn't as if I've used this thing religiously. This device was basically dusted off for me to possibly try to use it to play PC racing games. I downloaded the device drivers for it, even specifying I am using a 64-bit system. Just having a weird time trying to get this thing to work in Windows 10 and with certain racing games...

I am trying to get my old Logitech Driving Force Pro to work on my current PC. The wheel is recognized by the system, but when I try to play a game or something with it, it stops working. It isn't as if I've used this thing religiously. This device was basically dusted off for me to possibly try to use it to play PC racing games. I downloaded the device drivers for it, even specifying I am using a 64-bit system. Just having a weird time trying to get this thing to work in Windows 10 and with certain racing games...
Do you have the Logitech Profiler software installed and running? Their wheels won't work properly without.

This is the version of Logitech's Profiler software that I use for my Driving Force GT on Windows 10 64 bit.

Spent the last couple hours rearranging my setup. Quite pleased with the outcome.

Sorry for the dark picture quality but that's all the lightning I got in the room. :cool:

From left to right:
55" 4K Samsung TV
24" BenQ 144 Hz Monitor
24" BenQ 120 Hz Monitor

Managed to fit the PS4, Xbox One and PS2 Slim underneath the TV aswell. :drool:

Ve0B8Te.jpg

Tried to get some extra light by using a lamp from the kitchen.

nsMWyv7.jpg

Now I just need to set up my G27 and i'm good to go when I want to play some racing games. :cheers:

Cleaned my PC.

IMG_20170213_195000.jpg

IMG_20170213_195017.jpg

IMG_20170213_223054.jpg

IMG_20170213_223854.jpg

IMG_20170214_142527.jpg

IMG_20170214_142630.jpg

I also reinstalled Windows in UEFI mode for dat Fast Boot, and am currently reinstalling Windows on my laptop.

I didn't bother thoroughly cleaning it for a year because I didn't think that it would accumulate much dust. I guess I was wrong. :lol:

I am not sad due to the dust.

Stock Intel cooler
Non modular PSU
Negative Air Pressure Set up(this is not good as it attracts dust)
No Cable Management
Cheapo Fans

Kinda reminds me of my first sinful PC.

Back