What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,135 comments
can your computer run Crysis though as well?

It's 2017, so... No.

I haven't OC'd my 4690K at all, but I have a friend who'd like to buy my old PC from me so I figured upgrading wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm looking at a 7700K upgrade, but I'm actually still half considering a 6800K. I haven't looked into it properly but PCPP says it'll be less than £100 for two additional cores (but worse single core performance). I think what I'll do, as usual, is sit on it, spend carefully and see what I can afford at the end of next month rather than blowing this month's wages at the start of the month on something that isn't food.

Funnily enough the game I've played most since getting the new monitor (PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds) runs at somewhere between 30 and 50fps on my PC, but it's an early access game so I guess that's to be expected. At least I'm not getting any of the screen tearing the guys I've been playing with have moaned about and I can spot distant players more easily on account of the resolution!

Only 6TB(5.45TiB)?

Fox as a 4x4TB raid 5 array
Which gives me 12TB(10.9TiB)

Cool story? What do you use all that for besides saying you have it?

Mind you I spent all of $90 versus the $500+ for your RAID 5 setup.

Cool story? What do you use all that for besides saying you have it?

Mind you I spent all of $90 versus the $500+ for your RAID 5 setup.

Movies.
I rip my blurays and stream them to my HTPC.

Back ups.
Backed up my phone, my laptop, the HTPC and this PC.

I have been contemplating getting a PC audio splitter cable. I found out that if I use a USB headset while also having a certain device with its own recording and playback devices, there are times when my headset would have audio distortion. The positive to using a USB headset is that it takes some of the pressure off of using the onboard audio. That's why I bought an external USB sound card for my former PC. However, I basically have to utilize the old Realtek Audio on my PC to lessen the chances of having distorted audio, especially when using certain programs (like Skype, Discord, OBS, etc.). At least having the headset in a standard 3.5mm jack will allow me to hear things without the chance of having USB distortion. So I will want to buy a PC audio splitter in the future to not face the possibility of USB headset audio distorting on me.

I solved an issue I was having with my GTX 1080 where the fans would ramp up briefly then switch off again, making it sound like my PC was breathing, even at idle. As it turns out, there were two issues: according to a friend who works for Zotac, there's a bug in their firmware where there's no hysteresis in the fan profile and Nvidia "won't let them" push a firmware update for it because it's a minor bug so he recommended a custom fan curve instead.

The other problem that was causing the card to heat up at idle was another bug to do with the Nvidia control panel power settings and 144Hz monitors. I'd set my 960 to "maximum performance" instead of "optimum power", which was fine with that card and my old 1080p 60Hz monitor, but it was causing my GTX 1080 to clamp at the full core and memory clock instead of setting a lower power state when not running any 3D applications. It only started happening after I got my new monitor, and reading up on it says that power setting will cause that with multiple displays or high refresh rate monitors.

Now it's completely silent again, idling at 40C rather than steadily climbing until 60+.

I also finally bought myself a microphone, up until now I've been using my phone (via the Wireless Orange app) but I decided enough is enough and got myself one of these:

Go_Mic-open-white.jpg

It was £40 - there's definitely cheaper options - but it's nice and small and doesn't look like a Transformer's, um, special appendage, a huge studio mic nor like I'm operating a one-man call centre, so hopefully I'll be able to attach it to the underside of my monitor somehow to keep it tucked up out of the way.

Last edited:
It's 2017, so... No.

I haven't OC'd my 4690K at all, but I have a friend who'd like to buy my old PC from me so I figured upgrading wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm looking at a 7700K upgrade, but I'm actually still half considering a 6800K. I haven't looked into it properly but PCPP says it'll be less than £100 for two additional cores (but worse single core performance). I think what I'll do, as usual, is sit on it, spend carefully and see what I can afford at the end of next month rather than blowing this month's wages at the start of the month on something that isn't food.

Funnily enough the game I've played most since getting the new monitor (PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds) runs at somewhere between 30 and 50fps on my PC, but it's an early access game so I guess that's to be expected. At least I'm not getting any of the screen tearing the guys I've been playing with have moaned about and I can spot distant players more easily on account of the resolution!
Seems twice as demanding as Doom (2016) :lol:, I think I'm going to struggle to hit 60FPS at 1080p on my computer with a GTX 1060. Hopefully one day I will get there.

Better to go with 7700K due to faster IPC and clock rates which is needed to be able to hit higher frame rates to get the most out of your GPU and monitor. I wonder if the 6 Core Coffee Lake CPUs will make it in for this year, that would be a better option if you can wait that long.

Sold my 6700 mini itx pc, now it is a long waiting period for am4 mini-itx boards or x299, why 4cores just dont cut it anymore :P

Good to see that q6600+gtx970 that I always come back to after trying out the more modern platfroms for a couple of months work for at least 15-30 fps in gta6/bf1 and 45-60 in AC

Not saying that 15-30 is good but it is at least better than 0 fps :P

Sold my 6700 mini itx pc, now it is a long waiting period for am4 mini-itx boards or x299, why 4cores just dont cut it anymore :P

Good to see that q6600+gtx970 that I always come back to after trying out the more modern platfroms for a couple of months work for at least 15-30 fps in gta6/bf1 and 45-60 in AC

Not saying that 15-30 is good but it is at least better than 0 fps :P

What did you ask for on the old PC? (Not that I could've coughed up the money for it anyway)

Installed Linux Mint on my old laptop, and played around with some themes. I had no idea how customisable Linux was...

Vulnerabilities were announced in Office products so we were "encouraged" to run a Windows update to patch them yesterday. I did so and it installed 19 Office related updates. This morning, there were an additional 6.

It would probably help if I uninstalled Office 2010 and 2013 (which I'm doing now) but there were still 16 updates for 2016. :lol:

I started practicing making vector art. Prior to this current weekend, I have never made any kind of vector art. I have been spending time mostly trying to learn certain techniques. While it seems like a lot of work, I don't think vectoring is entirely difficult. Inkscape is what I am using for my vector art.

I let one of those ISP scammers into my the VM on my laptop for ***** and giggles.

He was pissed when he found out, he started to mess with some databases and he added a password to the admin account.
He didnt quite grasp the fact that it was a VM which I can easily fix it by using a backup of the VHD.

I finally ordered a PC audio splitter cable for my Turtle Beach headset recently. This will open the door towards using my USB cable for playing on the PlayStation 3 while also being able to maybe use other USB devices apart from my gaming headset with my PC. Not having more than one device with recording capabilities will reduce the chances of distorted audio on my PC when listening to my headset.

The PC audio splitter cable I ordered on Amazon came in the mail today. So I am now listening to onboard audio again rather than through USB with the ridiculously long cord. This will be good for me to try to imagine doing recordings and such without the feeling of having distorted USB audio from my gaming headset. The one I ordered was from Creative Sound Blaster, and the advantage is that this cord is about two feet long. Other PC audio splitter cables I've seen were maybe an inch or two long. Testing the audio and microphone went well. I even am able to boost the microphone a bit to speak a bit louder without being too soft. I haven't tested voice chatting yet, but I may eventually try it on Discord or something.

By the way, this cord cost me about $12 USD on Amazon, and an extra $12 or so because I expedited my order. Nearly $25 USD, but worth it.

Installed a five inch touchscreen on a Raspberry Pi. Going from a 23" 1920x1080 to a 5" 800x480 takes some getting used to.

Replaced the SD card on another Pi with an SSD. I had previously set one up to boot from the SD card and use an SSD as the primary drive, but this one boots off the SSD as well

Been in a robotics class for my first two semsters of college. Finished up my last assignment today: A MiniPOV device that we had to solder together ourselves. I've never used a soldering iron and never been much of a tech guy, so making this thing was definitely a challenge for me.
20170427_185325.jpg
20170427_185349.jpg

Threw batteries into it and was honestly suprised to see it turn on. (Excuse me sounding like an utter knob in the video...) The LEDs are supposed to spell out something when you take a picture of it with a long exposure camera, but I don't have the coding program at home. Still really cool to see it work, though! First try, too, hot damn!

Been in a robotics class for my first two semsters of college. Finished up my last assignment today: A MiniPOV device that we had to solder together ourselves. I've never used a soldering iron and never been much of a tech guy, so making this thing was definitely a challenge for me.View attachment 643883 View attachment 643884

Threw batteries into it and was honestly suprised to see it turn on. (Excuse me sounding like an utter knob in the video...) The LEDs are supposed to spell out something when you take a picture of it with a long exposure camera, but I don't have the coding program at home. Still really cool to see it work, though! First try, too, hot damn!

Very cool!

Not a bad job of soldering, especially for a first-timer.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to solder it all up?

Very cool!

Not a bad job of soldering, especially for a first-timer.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to solder it all up?

I struggled for a few days, just just doing a bit here and there, but once one of my classmated showed me how he did, I got it done in about two and a half hours, maybe three. Project instructions stated that it would take about two to complete for someone with experience.

I struggled for a few days, just just doing a bit here and there, but once one of my classmated showed me how he did, I got it done in about two and a half hours, maybe three. Project instructions stated that it would take about two to complete for someone with experience.

I was curious, because on Adafruit's website they said "about an hour". Two hours sounds a lot more reasonable for someone with lots of experience.

Latest Posts

Back