What Have You Done Today - (Computer Version)

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 4,121 comments
Got a new HDD last week (old one died...)

I managed to find a old build of my 3D model which I thought I'd render with a new Denoising feature.

tDTaqDL.jpg

A little like the scapes in GT SPORT.

Looks PS2ish...shame I lost the latest one

I've set up FOOBAR2000 to run bit perfect with the WASAPI component. This has really released the potential of my DAC.

It's a shame that it's only 24/96 compatible though, and it's a hazzle having to switch output for incompatible file formats (my DAC can't handle 24/88.2 files for some reason).

Last edited:
This actually happened overnight Friday, but I was concerned Audacity wasn't working for me. Maybe some Windows 10 update or something caused the stable build to not recognize my audio recording devices. So I ended up getting one of those nightly builds, and now the recording devices work with the popular Audacity. Not sure what happened to the stable Audacity to where my recording devices couldn't be recognized.

I built my new computer. its got an R5 1500x(I know i should have spent the extra and got the 1600) 16GB ram, 1TB WD black, 2TB WD blue, 120GB WD green SSD all mounted on an MSI B350 Tomahawk. Currently running with my old R9 270X. I have an order placed for an RX 580 sapphire nitro+. But all the stock of that card is gone thanks to the bitcoin miners I have to wait till atleast the 30th of june.

I had a bit of a scare at first boot, I waited about 20 seconds and got nothing so I went to get the manual but when I came back it wanted me to enter setup pheww lol.

I built my new computer. its got an R5 1500x(I know i should have spent the extra and got the 1600) 16GB ram, 1TB WD black, 2TB WD blue, 120GB WD green SSD all mounted on an MSI B350 Tomahawk. Currently running with my old R9 270X. I have an order placed for an RX 580 sapphire nitro+. But all the stock of that card is gone thanks to the bitcoin miners I have to wait till atleast the 30th of june.

I had a bit of a scare at first boot, I waited about 20 seconds and got nothing so I went to get the manual but when I came back it wanted me to enter setup pheww lol.

First boot will take ages as it is configuring to the CPU microcode.

As for the GPU hold off since VEGA is around the corner.

While I normally advise against doing a UEFI update due to the very nature of the process, doing it with ryzen CPUs can improve RAM compatibility, system stability and even overclocking

First boot will take ages as it is configuring to the CPU microcode.

As for the GPU hold off since VEGA is around the corner.

While I normally advise against doing a UEFI update due to the very nature of the process, doing it with ryzen CPUs can improve RAM compatibility, system stability and even overclocking

Yeah I did grab the latest bios and got that installed no problem. The ram kit I had worked fine before the update luckily but its not the 3200 stuff people have been having problems with.

Set the AAM on my WD 1TB Black to 128.
I am happy to put up with a few % in less speed at the expense of not hearing krrr krrrrrrrr krrrrrrrrrrr late at night.

Last edited:
I'm creating a KnowledgeBase all on my own at work for the entire Customer Support department and the retail estate, so today I had to create a presentation slideshow for the Customer Support Manager so I can ask for what I need to complete stage 2 of the project. Nothing much to show, but it took around 4 hours (it's not something I do normally).

I've been playing with a BBC Micro:bit that I got in the mail yesterday. There are a number of "lego-block" online IDEs for it, but they're all limited in what you can do in some way. I've been trying to set up an offline C/C++ development environment but haven't been having much success with it.

Me and a friend of mine went to help another friend get his newly built PC working. I asked if I could have the RAM and CPU cooler from the old build, and he said that I could have the whole PC (minus the storage drives) for free. :D

IMG_20170624_112740.jpg

IMG_20170624_015321.jpg

Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 Claw (?)
CPU: AMD FX-6300
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
MB: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
RAM: 2X4GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz
PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 500W
GPU: X̶F̶X̶ ̶G̶T̶X̶ ̶7̶5̶0̶T̶i̶ So apparently it's actually an XFX R9 270 2GB Core Edition

The friend that helped will be taking the GPU, while I'll be keeping everything else. I haven't decided whether I should transfer the RAM and CPU cooler into my current build and sell the remaining parts, or if I should just buy a cheap hard drive and make the new PC a dedicated Plex server.

Last edited:
I spent the day fixing my how to guides on other forums due to the photobucket issue.

As the toyota motto goes "Oh What a Feeling" but this feeling is rage and annoyance.

I installed a hard drive and OS (Windows 10 Education) in the media server PC. I had to use duct tape to secure the hard drive, because none of the HDD screws that I had would secure it to the brackets. :lol:

I did initially setup Plex, but it was having problems with downloading the correct metadata (despite the fact that the files were transferred straight from my PC, where Plex managed to download the correct metadata).

I heard that Emby provided greater control over metadata and other things, so I set that up instead. It seems to be working rather well so far.

I added a new 2 TB HDD to my system. It now has a total of 4 TB. I had a small hiccup when formatting it. The new drive was detected in the BIOS but it wasn't in Disk Management. The problem was with the BIOS. There was a option between using the M.2 slot instead of the SATA 4/5. It was on Auto by default, but I guess it didn't auto switch to the SATA connection so I had to set it to SATA. I spent about an hour looking for the solution online. I thought I had a DOA HDD. Luckily it works now and I'm currently moving files there as we speak.

Yesterday, I changed up the layout of my PC. Considering my PC is kind of a form-factor PC, I put this little tower on one side and then put my 1080p monitor on top of it. This also allowed me to set things up so I can record some audio from my game systems privately. I haven't used it in a while, but I kind of have been using my 1TB external drive for a bit. I should probably use it more to store more of my content and to make some backup material.

After I installed my powerline network adapters, I did a speed test on one of the PCs connected to it: 7.5Meg. Not knowing what it's "supposed" to run at, I assumed that was the price you paid for the convenience of having a network jack anywhere.

Then I did a speed test on my office PC, which is hard wired straight to the router: the same 7.5, when I'm paying for 75. Not acceptable. After some rebooting devices, a bunch of running up and down the stairs and playing with some various settings, the office PC is back up to the expected 75 and the one connected to the powerline adapter is at 50. I am quite pleased with that.

So one of the galleries at work is going touring and there's a whole load of PCs and media players in there with absolutely zero contingency in case they die. Given that a lot of them are just hard stopped when the power to the gallery is cut without warning every night and the tour ends in 2022 (in Tokyo!), I took it upon myself to devise a backup strategy. Luckily these aren't dynamic machines in the slightest; they were set up in February and barring one or two minor updates to one or two of the PCs, they have been and will always be the exact same.

The idea is to boot each PC off of a live Ubuntu USB stick and use dd to make images of each on a 3TB WD external hard drive. It's actually kind of entertaining, like I'm some sort of digital vampire sucking the bits out of the various SSDs, but the novelty soon wears off while dd silently trundles on... I did precisely no research, too, so I don't know how much space I'm going to need, but 3TB will easily cover the robots' PCs (the two I did today came to 6GB and 20GB after gzipping) and the media player SD cards. The four show control/projection/soundscape computers (three rack mounted PCs and a Mac Pro) will be interesting, I reckon they're probably 1TB each.

My PC decided that it wanted to only boot to an EFI Shell for some reason today, so I had to reseat the CMOS battery to fix it. I can't seem to re-enable the Fast Boot settings now (I get an error message about my graphics card being unable to work in UEFI mode, despite the fact that it's been running like that for the last few months), but at least it's working.

Today I just checked my Facebook, GTPlanet and Youtube like I always do. Played Call of Duty Black Ops III for a while and then watched a few videos on Youtube.

Later on I decided to mess around with an old Gameboy color game I had from my childhood. I took a series of screenshots of the first level and arranged them together until I had the whole level in one picture.
Spongebob's Block.png

Quite satisfied! :D May do some more later.

I found out that my GPU had a dual BIOS switch, and I decided to try to switch it to the other BIOS. The switch didn't move properly, and now it seems to be stuck in the middle position...It still seems to work fine, but I don't think I'll be able to move it from that position.

I also set up a VPN on my PC.

Back