What HDR 4K compliant monitor will we buy alongside PS4Pro & GTSport?

• Thread starter Lambob
  • 92 comments
Canada
Montreal, Canada
NobleAtreides
I wish to take advantage of GTSport in its 4K HDR glory. What monitor does everyone suggest? I will not adopt VR, maybe try it here and there, but I want to stay with traditional viewing.

Should I go curved widescreen? does the monitor have to support HDR as spec, to take advantage of the games' offering? are there new models yet to be released? will GTSport offer 21:9 wide aspect in 4K ?

thanks, happy waiting!

@Lambob All I know is, don't get a curved screen unless you plan to face the screen dead on from the center.

I got a Sony X8500D in 55" guise. It replaced my 4x22" monitor wall + 24" 1080p gaming monitor. It does UHD and 4:4:4 chromakey so small text is readable. So far so good :-)

I have a Sony XBR-55X855D + PS4 Pro. It has a 10-bit HDR panel. Games with higher resolution and HDR support look stunning. HDR is especially mind-blowing, and this TV doesn't even have the optimum peak brightness.

I can't imagine what games must look like on an LG OLED.

I am very happy with my TV. Just the HDR support is enough of a visual leap for me. 2/3/4K is just icing on the cake.

If you look for good HDR effect you have to look for high models of tv's.
Last years Samsung ks7000/8000, lg oled b6, or this year Sony 9000 series.

Just hold on to your pocket

If you look for good HDR effect you have to look for high models of tv's.
Last years Samsung ks7000/8000, lg oled b6, or this year Sony 9000 series.

Just hold on to your pocket

LG's UH7700 seem to be the cheapest 10-bit HDR TVs.

The Samsung KS8000 was last year's best model for gaming in HDR/4K (I've got one, games look great on it).

It's getting cheaper by the day now, anything under £800 (55")is a steal.

I think HDR is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else, I would ignore it.
Also, 4K for the PS4 Pro is also a bit of a selling gimmick, it is just not powerful enough to handle 4k at its full, its mostly about upscaling, and otherwise I'd rather play at 1080 at a solid 60FPS rather than 4k at poor/unplayable frame rate.

In other words, I would not change the TV just because of the PS4 Pro.

Edit: Also, yeah, avoid curved TV's, I think they're terrible because the curved design means that you can only watch it perfectly well from the center. Its a TV design for the "forever alone" :D

HDR is not a gimmick. It's absolutely incredible. I agree with slagging 4k though, the games that have it don't look that much better.

HDR is not a gimmick. It's absolutely incredible. I agree with slagging 4k though, the games that have it don't look that much better.

At least in the PS4 games, I think it is. I've seen several comparisons with HDR in the PS4, turned on and off, and I've not been impressed at all. In fact I could barely see any differences.
Just the dark areas a little bit brightened and the bright areas a little bit darkened, but seriously, you barely notice it, and I dont think its necessary.
I think that if a dark area is too dark and a bright area is too bright, its the developer's fault

Last edited:
I'm not going to use it for PC, but I'm going to get a LG OLED 55C7p. It has the same picture as LG's high end models. Right now it's $2500. It was $3500 at the beginning of the year, and is supposed to come down another $500. The low input lag is excellent on this television. It's the "cheapest" 2017 OLED model, and a lot of places have it as the best television they've reviewed this year. They also make a 65" C7.

You can save $500, and get last years model, the B6, but the low input Lag isn't as good.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/lg-c7-review

Last edited:
At least in the PS4 games, I think it is. I've seen several comparisons with HDR in the PS4, turned on and off, and I've not been impressed at all. In fact I could barely see any differences.
Just the dark areas a little bit brightened and the bright areas a little bit darkened, but seriously, you barely notice it, and I dont think its necessary.
I think that if a dark area is too dark and a bright area is too bright, its the developer's fault

I suspect you were either seeing it on an 8-bit TV or an improperly calibrated TV. My Sony 10 bit doesn't even reach half the peak brightness of a true HDR TV and the difference is stunning. Absolutely jaw-dropping difference in color, contrast and brightness.

I suspect you were either seeing it on an 8-bit TV or an improperly calibrated TV. My Sony 10 bit doesn't even reach half the peak brightness of a true HDR TV and the difference is stunning. Absolutely jaw-dropping difference in color, contrast and brightness.
I have a normal 1080p LED TV from 5 years ago. Colors are great. Brightness is great, image in general looks fantastic.
I dont have the need for HDR. It is a nice addition to buy when your current TV dies? Maybe yes, but does it make worth upgrading the TV only for that? No way.
Also, this HDR thing means images will all turn unrealistic compared to real life, is that what we want?

I have a normal 1080p LED TV from 5 years ago. Colors are great. Brightness is great, image in general looks fantastic.
I dont have the need for HDR. It is a nice addition to buy when your current TV dies? Maybe yes, but does it make worth upgrading the TV only for that? No way.
Also, this HDR thing means images will all turn unrealistic compared to real life, is that what we want?

I'm not telling anyone to run out and buy a $3000 OLED TV. I am responding to an opinion that HDR is a gimmick, which is a false assumption. Whether it's worth for someone to upgrade or not is up to each individual person. Not only am I happy with an $1100 HDR 4K TV, the HDR blew me away much more than the higher resolution.

HDR does not make images unrealistic, it makes them approach what our eyes can capture in real life. The color gamut, brightness, black levels and contrast in a 10-bit HDR panel are what allow this. Don't confuse a 10-bit HDR panel on a TV for HDR modes on cameras. They are not related. HDR in cameras just takes over-saturated, unrealistic photos, which is nice for artistic expression, but has nothing to do with the HDR in televisions.

Then you have seen a terrible implementation of HDR. HDR is a bigger change than 1080p to 4K.

I'm not telling anyone to run out and buy a $3000 OLED TV. I am responding to an opinion that HDR is a gimmick, which is a false assumption. Whether it's worth for someone to upgrade or not is up to each individual person. Not only am I happy with an $1100 HDR 4K TV, the HDR blew me away much more than the higher resolution.

HDR does not make images unrealistic, it makes them approach what our eyes can capture in real life. The color gamut, brightness, black levels and contrast in a 10-bit HDR panel are what allow this. Don't confuse a 10-bit HDR panel on a TV for HDR modes on cameras. They are not related. HDR in cameras just takes over-saturated, unrealistic photos, which is nice for artistic expression, but has nothing to do with the HDR in televisions.
Ok, so we kind of agree, and in fact here in this thread we are discussing to whether buy a 4k HDR TV just for the PS4 Pro or not, and I said definitely no

Then you have seen a terrible implementation of HDR. HDR is a bigger change than 1080p to 4K.
Well, I guess not all TVs have the same HDR right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Digital Foundry say that the LG B6 is currently the best 4k TV for gaming. I've owned one since they were released and it is a stunning set.

Then you eyes closed or where you looking via a stream or what?

HDR is a BIGGG addition, in the case of GT awsome colors and lightning and LIGHTS!

Saying HDR is a gimmick is the most uhmm strange reaction a ever read over HDR!

Ok, so we kind of agree, and in fact here in this thread we are discussing to whether buy a 4k HDR TV just for the PS4 Pro or not, and I said definitely no

The nice thing about HDR is that you don't even need the Pro. The vanilla PS4 supports HDR. I personally don't think the Pro is worth it at this point. I believe 80% of the beauty of the current trends en televisions are down to HDR and the other 20% down to increased resolution. For those that don't want to go all-in on 4K can just go with an HDR set for now and enjoy the incredible enhancement it gives to games that support it on the vanilla PS4.

HDR tech is pretty new, so it's probably better to wait anyway as it will likely go way down in price later this year. But for those who want an upgrade now, there are 10-bit HDR TVs for less than $1000 and I would say it isn't necessary at all to upgrade to the PS4 Pro. HDR is the huge leap of this generation, not 4K.

Now, whether or not you want to upgrade or not, that's your decision and no-one can force you to do it.

Again then you never saw it on the good way, HDR for GT alone is it already worth!

The nice thing about HDR is that you don't even need the Pro. The vanilla PS4 supports HDR. I personally don't think the Pro is worth it at this point. I believe 80% of the beauty of the current trends en televisions are down to HDR and the other 20% down to increased resolution. For those that don't want to go all-in on 4K can just go with an HDR set for now and enjoy the incredible enhancement it gives to games that support it on the vanilla PS4.

HDR tech is pretty new, so it's probably better to wait anyway as it will likely go way down in price later this year. But for those who want an upgrade now, there are 10-bit HDR TVs for less than $1000 and I would say it isn't necessary at all to upgrade to the PS4 Pro. HDR is the huge leap of this generation, not 4K.

Now, whether or not you want to upgrade or not, that's your decision and no-one can force you to do it.

Good HDR tvs are above 1000,- the 500,- tvs DONT TOUCH them if you want HDR, for HDR you need good panals and they are not in ""cheap" tvs at this moment.

Ow and if you can mis it Pro/4k/HDR is worth it unless you dont want the best amd dont care. Haha sounds logic

Last edited by a moderator:
Good HDR tvs are above 1000,- the 500,- tvs DONT TOUCH them if you want HDR, for HDR you need good panals and they are not in ""cheap" tvs at this moment.

Ow and if you can mis it Pro/4k/HDR is worth it unless you dont want the best amd dont care. Haha sounds logic

My TV is $969 on Amazon right now and it's a 10-bit panel.

And I didn't say I didn't want the best or don't care. What I am getting at is the benefits of HDR far outweigh the benefits of the PS4 Pro in my opinion. Vanilla PS4 has full HDR support.

But it's just that... my opinion. Not everyone has the money for a PS4 Pro + OLED, but it's possible to go halfway and get a 55" 10-bit HDR for less than $1000 and hold off on the Pro. That way they get full HDR support and 4K upscaling from the TV without having to spend extra money for the Pro.

However, @PorscheHD is correct regarding being careful about HDR TVs. They are not all the same and you do want to avoid 8-bit HDR panels which fall way short of the mark. My suggested budget 10-bit HDR TVs are the Sony X850D, LG UH7700 and Samsung KS7000 (KS8000 in USA).

Last edited:
My TV is $696 on Amazon right now and it's a 10-bit panel.

And I didn't say I didn't want the best or don't care. What I am getting at is the benefits of HDR far outweigh the benefits of the PS4 Pro in my opinion. Vanilla PS4 has full HDR support.

But it's just that... my opinion. Not everyone has the money for a PS4 + OLED, but it's possible to go halfway and get a 55" 10-bit HDR for less than $1000 and hold off on the Pro. That way they get full HDR support and 4K upscaling from the TV without having to spend extra money for the Pro.

However, @PorscheHD is correct regarding being careful about HDR TVs. They are not all the same and you do want to avoid 8-bit HDR panels which fall way short of the mark. My suggested budget 10-bit HDR TVs are the Sony X850D, LG UH7700 and Samsung KS7000.
I didnt mean it like a attack to you my english is not the best so my uhh how do tou say that..... what i type is not always how i mean it well tou get the idea haha

OLED is nice but the input lag is not the best for gamers thats why i went now for the Sony XE9005 and when OLED is further and the bugs are out, more standard. Than i will buy a oled sooooo nice those blacks ;)

Edit: damn now iam just having a fight with my phone i see at the grammer

Then you eyes closed or where you looking via a stream or what?

HDR is a BIGGG addition, in the case of GT awsome colors and lightning and LIGHTS!

Saying HDR is a gimmick is the most uhmm strange reaction a ever read over HDR!
Again then you never saw it on the good way, HDR for GT alone is it already worth!
Ok, ok, HDR is nice and all, but is it worth spending 1000€ or more just for a brand new TV even if your current one is good? I definitely dont think so

Ok, ok, HDR is nice and all, but is it worth spending 1000€ or more just for a brand new TV even if your current one is good? I definitely dont think so
For many people it is. Lots of people upgrade to a new phone worth around 800 Euros every year. Personally, if you have enough 4K sources then I think spending the money is well worth it even if you current TV is good.

Back