What HDR 4K compliant monitor will we buy alongside PS4Pro & GTSport?

• Thread starter Lambob
  • 92 comments
@RaceFuchs

No. I've seen it in perfection. HDR can be a real step forward. Trust me.

Try this: enter GTS beta. Go to a track with sunlight. Pick chase came. Position the car so you can see the sun shining through some clouds. I usually have a track, the car, some grass, sun and clouds in focus. Then pause the game. Enter video settings. Enable hdr. Turn the scale left of it down to 1 and watch the sun. Turn it back up to 10. You can clearly see the benefits of hdr!! But not for the whole picture when dyn. contrast is off!
Knowing this drives me crazy because it should get better!

I leave dyn. contrast at middle now. Just for a brighter clearer not so fuzzy picture. Warm1 or warm2 I have no final decision yet.

Yeah, i might try this out. However, i was always rather happy with HDR in GT Sport. Oh, and i prefer cold over warm 1 or 2.

Dynamic contrast is something digital foundry dont wants you to use. However, i think the results can be rather good. I'm using the low setting on most games. In night scenes, you might want to turn it off. Try dynamic contrast at the night track in Wipeout (there is only one). Then turn it off. You will notice how great this looks with dynamic contrast off. At bright scenes, things might be different, of course...

Oh, i know about that greyish picture. Pretty much the opposite of what you expect from HDR, right? Uncharted 4 looks really dull and greyish in HDR for me. I own a Samsung KS7590. Sometimes i wonder if this TV has bad HDR? But it supports HDR10. I spend hours with the setting, the end result was the same. However, HDR looks really nice to me in GT Sport and Horizon. I dont get the hype about HDR, though. For me, 4K is the bigger deal.

On the other hand, i'm noticing now when games dont support HDR. Its not so much about bright colours like most would expect... its more about more nuanced contrasts, better greys and blacks... non-HDR games tend to look a bit “flat“ in dark scenes, HDR enabled titles look better.

My top HDR experiences in games so far?

1. Horizon
2. Infamos Last Light
3. GT Sport
4. Resident evil 7

Wipeout Omega looks rather nice, but you cant toggle HDR off ingame so its hard to tell the difference. I couldnt notice any difference in Last Guardian, either.

FF XV, No mans sky and the Naughty Dog games dont benefit at all, i would dare to say. Sometimes these games look better without HDR.

So... HDR remains a critical topic. Most people dont have it, most people wont even able to try it, but some are really happy with it. Its hard to discuss something like this on the internet, even digital foundry are not saying much about their HDR experiences in the latest games.

For me, HDR is more like a nice addition. As i already said, 4K is the real deal, even on a 49“ TV which isnt THAT big...

Odd that you are experiencing so-so HDR with that TV. Does the RGB output setting on the PS4 match the RGB setting on your TV? If the PS4 is using limited, your TV should also be set to limited. If not full/full. But if the PS4 is outputting limited RGB and you have your TV set on full RGB then you have a mismatch and that will affect HDR performance.

Odd that you are experiencing so-so HDR with that TV. Does the RGB output setting on the PS4 match the RGB setting on your TV? If the PS4 is using limited, your TV should also be set to limited. If not full/full. But if the PS4 is outputting limited RGB and you have your TV set on full RGB then you have a mismatch and that will affect HDR performance.

Settings are fine. Double checked.

@RaceFuchs I forgot: afaik your tv has a 8 bit panel "only"!

Actually, its a 10 bit panel.

Digital Foundry say that the LG B6 is currently the best 4k TV for gaming. I've owned one since they were released and it is a stunning set.
Assuming I am "forever alone" as @NixxxoN puts it and fancy a curved TV instead, is the C6 the same or notably inferior at doing the same job as the B6? My current curved set works beautifully for gaming and groups of people have watched movies and TV programmes on it with minimal complaint.

Assuming I am "forever alone" as @NixxxoN puts it and fancy a curved TV instead, is the C6 the same or notably inferior at doing the same job as the B6? My current curved set works beautifully for gaming and groups of people have watched movies and TV programmes on it with minimal complaint.
I'll just say that curved TV gimmick is pretty much dead. I thought that would be a passenger trend that would not last much and I was right.
We're in the days of technology gimmicks, technology companies dont create stuff to fullfill real needs but simply create unnecessary new things to sell.

I'll just say that curved TV gimmick is pretty much dead. I thought that would be a passenger trend that would not last much and I was right.
We're in the days of technology gimmicks, technology companies dont create stuff to fullfill real needs but simply create unnecessary new things to sell.
I'm not really interested in groundless speculation from people who haven't experienced the technology in question. Just posting my personal experience with my own television.

Please enlighten us with what the real needs of consumers are and how they are not being fulfilled.

@NixxxoN you need a lesson in basic liberty and economics.

Liberty-wise, no-one is forcing you to purchase any kind of TV. For liberty to work we need to respect the decisions of others as long as their decisions do not harm us. Everyone has a natural right to purchase or not purchase a TV.

Economically speaking, supply creates demand, not the other way around. Whether you decide to consume a product on offer is your decision. No-one is putting a gun to your head coercing you into buying a curved, or HDR, or 4K TV.

BTW, what you meant to have said is "passing trend", not "passenger trend". While 'pasajero' does indeed mean passenger in English, in this context the correct word is 'passing'.

All I saw were your personal opinions on what you want and projecting it onto everyone else.
Perhaps he should buy a projection TV. :lol:

It looks like LG are dropping curved TVs from their range (although Samsung are still going strong) so there may be something to what he's saying. However from what I've read the 55C6 seems to be identical to the B6 with the addition of 3D support and a curved screen. They both seem to sell for the same price in the UK so if you don't mind the curved screen and want the extra features then the C6 may be relatively good value for money.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/curved-tv-isnt-dead-yet-thanks-samsung/

Perhaps he should buy a projection TV. :lol:

It looks like LG are dropping curved TVs from their range (although Samsung are still going strong) so there may be something to what he's saying. However from what I've read the 55C6 seems to be identical to the B6 with the addition of 3D support and a curved screen. They both seem to sell for the same price in the UK so if you don't mind the curved screen and want the extra features then the C6 may be relatively good value for money.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/curved-tv-isnt-dead-yet-thanks-samsung/

I also believe curved TVs are gimmicky but I wouldn't think of coming on here and criticizing those who purchased one. If you look at his post history in this thread it's obvious that he's just trying to get everyone's panties in a twist, and he probably has some serious issues with wanting to force his will upon others. He would likely make a great politician.

As far as I'm aware they are almost identical apart from the curve. Think the C6 does 3D as well, the B6 doesn't. Either way it's the panel that's important and the panel is these LG OLED's is something else. I've had mine for over a year and I still get that giddy 'new tech purchase' feeling when I watch a good 4K HDR bit of footage. You won't be disappointed.

And if it was me, I would ignore NixxxoN doesn't appear to have a clue what he/she is talking about most of the time but likes to stick his/her tuppence in.

B6 and the C6 are the same in quality. The C6 is 3D capable and curved, while the B6 doesn't have 3D. I don't think there's a whole lot of C6's left, so if you can get one at a good price it would be a good deal. The B6 stock should be getting low too, as both of these are 2016 models.

I have a C7 coming Saturday, I haven't been this excited in a long time. :)

@NixxxoN you need a lesson in basic liberty and economics.

Liberty-wise, no-one is forcing you to purchase any kind of TV. For liberty to work we need to respect the decisions of others as long as their decisions do not harm us. Everyone has a natural right to purchase or not purchase a TV.

Economically speaking, supply creates demand, not the other way around. Whether you decide to consume a product on offer is your decision. No-one is putting a gun to your head coercing you into buying a curved, or HDR, or 4K TV.

BTW, what you meant to have said is "passing trend", not "passenger trend". While 'pasajero' does indeed mean passenger in English, in this context the correct word is 'passing'.
Talking about "liberty" I have the freedom to criticise right?
I dont need any lessons thank you, I know "supply creates demand" but still I will criticise gimmick useless inventions all the time because I dont like them. Problem?
And no I dont criticise people who purchase a curved TV, just the product itself

Last edited:
@NixxxoN, just because something is useless to you, doesn't mean that it's useless to someone else. Some people like curved televisions, there's nothing wrong with that. It almost comes across as jealousy when you post like that, even if it wasn't your intention.

I posted this in some other thread the other day, but 4k and HDR is not a gimmick either. Sure there will be something better in a few years, but if you look at it like that you'll always be waiting for something better. OLED also brings it to another level, I'm a believer in that seeing them in person the other day for the first time. The most beautiful television picture I've ever seen. I'm sure in 5-10yrs there will be something better than OLED too, that's how technology is.

Last edited:
@NixxxoN, just because something is useless to you, doesn't mean that it's useless to someone else. Some people like curved televisions, there's nothing wrong with that. It almost comes across as jealousy when you post like that, even if it wasn't your intention.

I posted this in some other thread the other day, but 4k and HDR is not a gimmick either. Sure there will be something better in a few years, but if you look at it like that you'll always be waiting for something better. OLED also brings it to another level, I'm a believer in that seeing them in person the other day for the first time. The most beautiful television picture I've ever seen. I'm sure in 5-10yrs there will be something better than OLED too, that's how technology is.
Jealousy for something I dont like? Seriously? Again, I criticise a product, not the owner of that product. Because I want to do so, like it or not.
"just because something is useless to you, doesn't mean that it's useless to someone else" blablabla aye... sure, I learnt that in primary school, captain obvious
I'm done in this thread, I dont want to waste any more time.

I think HDR is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else, I would ignore it.
Also, 4K for the PS4 Pro is also a bit of a selling gimmick, it is just not powerful enough to handle 4k at its full, its mostly about upscaling, and otherwise I'd rather play at 1080 at a solid 60FPS rather than 4k at poor/unplayable frame rate.

In other words, I would not change the TV just because of the PS4 Pro.

Edit: Also, yeah, avoid curved TV's, I think they're terrible because the curved design means that you can only watch it perfectly well from the center. Its a TV design for the "forever alone" :D

@NixxxoN don't forget how this mud-slinging started. While you are entitled to your viewpoint, your first post (quoted above) was full of misinformation and presented in a condescending manner. From that point on it has been nothing but childish drivel from you as if you were a kid without a spinner.

Jealousy for something I dont like? Seriously? Again, I criticise a product, not the owner of that product. Because I want to do so, like it or not.
"just because something is useless to you, doesn't mean that it's useless to someone else" blablabla aye... sure, I learnt that in primary school, captain obvious
Thank god for that!

@NixxxoN don't forget how this mud-slinging started. While you are entitled to your viewpoint, your first post (quoted above) was full of misinformation and presented in a condescending manner. From that point on it has been nothing but childish drivel from you as if you were a kid without a spinner.
I said im done, dont quote me anymore
Thank god for that!
What a fantastic contribution this message is.

What a fantastic contribution this message is.

LOL, let's take a look at some of your fantastic "contributions":

I think HDR is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else, I would ignore it.

Also, 4K for the PS4 Pro is also a bit of a selling gimmick

I've seen several comparisons with HDR in the PS4, turned on and off, and I've not been impressed at all. In fact I could barely see any differences.

Also, this HDR thing means images will all turn unrealistic compared to real life, is that what we want?

Better it be so stunning considering the sky high price tag

Rich people mostly. Which are a minority.

We are talking about HDR but maybe in 1 or 2 years they will create a new thing so these rich people spend theyr money again, and the TV manufacturers are so happy that their strategy works

Unless you are a millionaire you wont have it all, but good luck. Tecnology nowadays is like cars, you cant have the best of the best unless you are damn rich

Some inventions people had desire of and wanted them, some others not.

is it really necessary to have a wider range of colours compared to what we have now? The current one isn't wide enough? I'm not sure...

This thread is about 4K and HDR technology. The OP didn't ask if it's good or not. He asked what everyone has or is thinking of buying. You should go create a "HDR and 4K are Gimmicks" thread and you can have all the fun you want there.

This thread is about 4K and HDR technology. The OP didn't ask if it's good or not. He asked what everyone has or is thinking of buying. You should go create a "HDR and 4K are Gimmicks" thread and you can have all the fun you want there.
Are you trolling me or something? The OP asked opinions about 4k and HDR TV's. That does include if you think its good or not and if you think its worth buying. I gave my opinion. Thats it.
Stop quoting/annoying me now. Bye!

Are you trolling me or something? The OP asked opinions about 4k and HDR TV's. That does include if you think its good or not and if you think its worth buying. I gave my opinion. Thats it.
And people responded to your "opinions" by disagreeing with them based on their own personal experience. That's it.

The OP didn't ask for opinions on 4k and HDR TV's, the OP asked which would he need to take full advantage of what is being offered by PD.

Latest Posts

Back