What HDR 4K compliant monitor will we buy alongside PS4Pro & GTSport?

• Thread starter Lambob
  • 92 comments
Ok, ok, HDR is nice and all, but is it worth spending 1000€ or more just for a brand new TV even if your current one is good? I definitely dont think so
For you not for me: Hell Yeah!! My old tv was 1,5 year old...... its my hobby i want the best! And i domt regret it! 4k HDR is worth it if you like the best and use it enough...... its not for everybody just like a new console is not for everybody at day one or a steering wheel rig erc etc

The point was that you said it was a gimmick or not noticeble, and that is just not treu, hdr is a big step and a real thing but you need a good screen to see it and you cant see it on youtube or streams. You must see it gor yourself, whitout GT looks a bit old and dark. With it? You just have to see it its awsome....... a gamechanger for shure (graphical) ;)

For many people it is. Lots of people upgrade to a new phone worth around 800 Euros every year. Personally, if you have enough 4K sources then I think spending the money is well worth it even if you current TV is good.
Rich people mostly. Which are a minority.
In smartphones as in TVs its not worth upgrading often at all, they create a new gimmick and/or a new technology every year to persuade people tu buy it.
Samsung S7 to S8 -> smaller bezels! wow amazing, lets spend 800€ again :D
We are talking about HDR but maybe in 1 or 2 years they will create a new thing so these rich people spend theyr money again, and the TV manufacturers are so happy that their strategy works :)

For you not for me: Hell Yeah!! My old tv was 1,5 year old...... its my hobby i want the best! And i domt regret it! 4k HDR is worth it if you like the best and use it enough...... its not for everybody just like a new console is not for everybody at day one or a steering wheel rig erc etc

The point was that you said it was a gimmick or not noticeble, and that is just not treu, hdr is a big step and a real thing but you need a good screen to see it and you cant see it on youtube or streams. You must see it gor yourself, whitout GT looks a bit old and dark. With it? You just have to see it its awsome....... a gamechanger for shure (graphical) ;)
You want the best? Unless you are a millionaire you wont have it all, but good luck. Tecnology nowadays is like cars, you cant have the best of the best unless you are damn rich

Rich people mostly. Which are a minority.
In smartphones as in TVs its not worth upgrading often at all, they create a new gimmick and/or a new technology every year to persuade people tu buy it.
Samsung S7 to S8 -> smaller bezels! wow amazing, lets spend 800€ again :D
We are talking about HDR but maybe in 1 or 2 years they will create a new thing so these rich people spend theyr money again, and the TV manufacturers are so happy that their strategy works :)

You want the best? Unless you are a millionaire you wont have it all, but good luck. Tecnology nowadays is like cars, you cant have the best of the best unless you are damn rich

Prioretys. Iam not rich have two kids a house and on this moment 2200,- on my bank account. Its just what you want or not. But i have seen that you wont stop unless you are the last to post so i give up.

Again: point was that you said it was a gimmick and not even a thing. Thats just not treu and a thats a fact nit an opion!

Prioretys. Iam not rich have two kids a house and on this moment 2200,- on my bank account. Its just what you want or not. But i have seen that you wont stop unless you are the last to post so i give up.

Again: point was that you said it was a gimmick and not even a thing. Thats just not treu and a thats a fact nit an opion!
Different point of views. People used to say 3D is a must and other things... Also those insanely high refresh rates that make the TV images look rather weird and artificial. I'm a bit skeptic about these innovative technologies. Maybe in the end I will have to eat my words, but now thats what I think.
Someone has to be the last to post a reply, if you wish I let you do so.

Different point of views. People used to say 3D is a must and other things... Also those insanely high refresh rates that make the TV images look rather weird and artificial. I'm a bit skeptic about these innovative technologies. Maybe in the end I will have to eat my words, but now thats what I think.

3d and curved that is and will always be stupid. Believe me HDR is awsome and not a gimmick. If you are not impressed when seeing it right iam gonne eat my Porsche 911 GT3 RS scale moddel hahahaha

You really need to educate yourself. http://www.techradar.com/news/telev...-next-big-shift-in-home-entertainment-1280990

You might think it's too expensive or stupid to change your tv just for HDR, you're fully entitled to think that, but don't let that cloud the truth of what HDR is.

If you want an HDR-compliant monitor there's a few coming out that may please you. Might not please your wallet though

- Acer predator X27: 4k 144hz (no that's not an error) HDR10 with 384 backlight zones, Quantum dot FALD (IPS panel)
- Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ: same as X27 but with 'zero bezels', which means little to no bezels (e.g. look at the Dell XPS laptop screens' bezels)

Both are G-sync HDR (which is just G-sync with HDR pipeline implemented by NVIDIA) which the Pro will not take advantage of. So honestly these monitors are meant for PC gaming. It's better to pick up a 4k HDR TV for the Pro

You really need to educate yourself. http://www.techradar.com/news/telev...-next-big-shift-in-home-entertainment-1280990

You might think it's too expensive or stupid to change your tv just for HDR, you're fully entitled to think that, but don't let that cloud the truth of what HDR is.
I'm very educated, thank you. I know what HDR is, It might be nice and all but I think its overhyped.
No one cared about that until they invented it, you know It's true. No one complained about TVs having poor dynamic range, there was never an extreme necessity for that. In fact most people didnt even knew what dynamic range was (and most of them still don't)
Thats why I refuse to be very enthusiastic about this technology.

That's literally one of the dumbest things I've ever read. No one complained about lots of things we now can't live without before they were invented.
Dont confuse things. People can definitely live without HDR.

Dont confuse things. People can definitely live without HDR.
I'm not confusing things. Read what I said again, I think you misunderstand. I said 'things we now can't live without'. When they were invented people probably thought meh! I'm sure colour tv's were prohibitively expensive when first released. No one would dream of owning a black and white TV now.

I'm not confusing things. Read what I said again, I think you misunderstand. I said 'things we now can't live without'. When they were invented people probably thought meh! I'm sure colour tv's were prohibitively expensive when first released. No one would dream of owning a black and white TV now.
Thats one of the dumbest examples I've ever read (Sorry I had to say it) as it was a logical step to go from black-white to color.

You could say the whatsapp example, mostly we really cant live without it, but then again, people thought about it, and while still in old SMS system, people knew that some day we would have it and people desired it, unlike HDR.

I dont know if you get what i mean. Some inventions people had desire of and wanted them, some others not.

Thats one of the dumbest examples I've ever read (Sorry I had to say it) as it was a logical step to go from black-white to color.
Once again you're lack of understanding shows you up. I wasn't talking about logical steps. I was highlighting the fact that for many inventions that we now can't live without, the original reaction would have been meh!

However, it's interesting that you bring up the move from B&W to colour being logical. It would follow then, that it would logical to go from limited colour to a much wider range of colours, no?

I consider my self as a hard to impress person and I've been holding on to my 720p plasma without any real replacement for its IQ. But when I bought my 55b6v I got my mind blown by what it can do. It was 600€ above what I wanted to pay but its worth every single cent!

Last edited:
Once again you're lack of understanding shows you up. I wasn't talking about logical steps. I was highlighting the fact that for many inventions that we now can't live without, the original reaction would have been meh!

However, it's interesting that you bring up the move from B&W to colour being logical. It would follow then, that it would logical to go from limited colour to a much wider range of colours, no?
Thats the thing, is it really necessary to have a wider range of colours compared to what we have now? The current one isn't wide enough? I'm not sure... Yes of course you can always have more and more... For example we have now 8k resolution displays and 8k video recording when 4k is already ridiculously high.
This thread is getting downright laughable. @NixxxoN get a grip. No-one is forcing you, wait, no-one is even asking you to like HDR or get a new TV. Give it a rest.
No one os forcing you to read my posts either.

A discussion about gaming hardware probably should be held on the correct forum board, no?
If you think so report it to the mods, after all, they are the only one's who can do anything about it. Surely that would be better than posting nothing relevant to the discussion at hand?

Thats the thing, is it really necessary to have a wider range of colours compared to what we have now? The current one isn't wide enough? I'm not sure... Yes of course you can always have more and more... For example we have now 8k resolution displays and 8k video recording when 4k is already ridiculously high.

No one os forcing you to read my posts either.

Come dude its not if its nessesry or not HD wasnt nassery but its better.

HDR is a thing its not overhyped or fake its real and it gives this game (and others) a real extra dimension. Are tou saying that tech has to stop go foreward because ita unnaccery?

Please tell did you really saw HDR on a good screen? Because how you talk about it i dont think so.

Please stop fighting this because YOU think its stupid because the fact is that it working en gives a game a more real feeling and colours. Thats not my opinion but REAL, a FACT not a GIMMICK or whatever. That you dont want it is no problem but dint try to make people think its STUPID or FAKE or whatever, you only can say that about thinks as 1080 HD Ready etc thats faking people to buy a new TV.

Now i give up and hope i dont see a stupid post again about HDR or new TECH because its unnaccesery.

Remember when AA was so important, yet 4K may make it so obsolete...?

New tech, new frontiers, new problems.

Dont get me wrong, 90% of the people barely understand what they demand, or create demand for. Take the 5.1 audio system as an example, people listen to stereo music on it, now that's pointless.

PS, and on topic, the Sony OLED X series look sharp, and considering they run android, a lot of tweaking may be possible the moment someone roots the damn thing :).

There you go, in two years, OS will be another seller, and they'd be right...

Remember when AA was so important, yet 4K may make it so obsolete...?

New tech, new frontiers, new problems.

Dont get me wrong, 90% of the people barely understand what they demand, or create demand for. Take the 5.1 audio system as an example, people listen to stereo music on it, now that's pointless.

PS, and on topic, the Sony OLED X series look sharp, and considering they run android, a lot of tweaking may be possible the moment someone roots the damn thing :).

There you go, in two years, OS will be another seller, and they'd be right...

has it occurred to you that people buy a 5.1 (or higher) system to enjoy surround sound in movies and video games? While there are some music made for the format, everything I've read about it said it was largely pointless, and that it can at best be described as a gimmick.

As for the thread title. Unless you're getting a very large TV, I'd suggest considering Sony's new HDR capable 1080P TV line-up. Save a lot of money by not going for a resolution that you get no benefit from, depending on the size of and distance from the TV. Of course, if you are planning to go big, then by all means, go for the 4K. A shame that games have to waste graphics power by focusing on such a high resolution, when there are so many other much more interesting things they could be using that power for.

I upgraded my 3 month old Sony 55XD8599 to a Samsung 55KS9090.
Android didn't work that well and I don't need a lot of apps anyway plus the Samsung is another level from the technical side. The awesome price was the cherry on top.
img_40019iuye.jpg

I need, no I want, to calibrate this baby tomorrow and then I'll check on 4kHDR movie material, some live soccer and for sure THE GAMES! PES, GTSbeta, Horizon...
life is good.
Edit: and yeah, the cables, table and stuff are gone or better arranged when I'm moving early august. Looks messy, I know.

Edit: after tanning some laps in GTS today i noticed the same "problem" with the new tv and HDR. I calibrated it via rtings.com settings and some information from neogaf.
What bugs me is that I can see the better picture (sun, clouds...) with HDR but at the same time the picture is greyish compared to the regular game mode settings. And the regular settings are exactly the same. When there is HDR enabled I have to set dynamic contrast to high (in regular game mode it's off) to achieve a brighter image (on track and off track, cockpit, not the clouds)! But I don't want the tv to mess with the contrast. I hope you guys get what I mean.
Had the same problem with the Sony. The PS4 pro is set to all automatic and hdr signal is coming through (system said so)!

Last edited:
I upgraded my 3 month old Sony 55XD8599 to a Samsung 55KS9090.
Android didn't work that well and I don't need a lot of apps anyway plus the Samsung is another level from the technical side. The awesome price was the cherry on top.

I need, no I want, to calibrate this baby tomorrow and then I'll check on 4kHDR movie material, some live soccer and for sure THE GAMES! PES, GTSbeta, Horizon...
life is good.
Edit: and yeah, the cables, table and stuff are gone or better arranged when I'm moving early august. Looks messy, I know.

Edit: after tanning some laps in GTS today i noticed the same "problem" with the new tv and HDR. I calibrated it via rtings.com settings and some information from neogaf.
What bugs me is that I can see the better picture (sun, clouds...) with HDR but at the same time the picture is greyish compared to the regular game mode settings. And the regular settings are exactly the same. When there is HDR enabled I have to set dynamic contrast to high (in regular game mode it's off) to achieve a brighter image (on track and off track, cockpit, not the clouds)! But I don't want the tv to mess with the contrast. I hope you guys get what I mean.
Had the same problem with the Sony. The PS4 pro is set to all automatic and hdr signal is coming through (system said so)!

Nice TV you got there. ;)

Problem with the settings posted at rtings and neogaf is that they keep the backlight at a very low setting, because of this HDR just isn't giving you the full effect. What you want to do is put backlight all the way up to maximum. It's 20 for my own Samsung, probably same for yours. And leaving dynamic contrast at medium seems to be best. The colortone warm2 that they all like to use.. I'm not using that either, I prefer to stay with Samsung's default but it's up to you what you like best. And put Smart LED on high as well. Rest of their settings seem to be correct.

Here's a good video from Digital Foundry about setting up Samsung TV's for HDR. Only thing they don't change is dynamic contrast which I definately needed on my TV as well, but only at medium. Just play around with that setting after you've gone over all of the other settings.

Nice TV you got there. ;)

Problem with the settings posted at rtings and neogaf is that they keep the backlight at a very low setting, because of this HDR just isn't giving you the full effect. What you want to do is put backlight all the way up to maximum. It's 20 for my own Samsung, probably same for yours. And leaving dynamic contrast at medium seems to be best. The colortone warm2 that they all like to use.. I'm not using that either, I prefer to stay with Samsung's default but it's up to you what you like best. And put Smart LED on high as well. Rest of their settings seem to be correct.

Here's a good video from Digital Foundry about setting up Samsung TV's for HDR. Only thing they don't change is dynamic contrast which I definately needed on my TV as well, but only at medium. Just play around with that setting after you've gone over all of the other settings.

Thank you mate. I appreciate your answer.
I the DF video and some more... and yes, in Game mode and for hdr video content I bumped up the backlight to 20. I have 3 settings: day, night, gaming.
In Game mode (with it without hdr) backlight is set to 20, the same for hdr video content. Smart led is on high as well.
When I watch at day I have the backlight at 10, at night at 5! Gaming always at 20.
I tried a lot and I think I know some of that stuff... but still...
It just bugs me. The clouds and sun look great, I even was playing around with the hdr settings from 1-10. you can see clearly my tv does support hdr at 10. but the whole picture is dull, milkey kinda greyish. Only thing that helped was upping the dynamic contrast.
With the color temp I prefer warm1 over warm2! Have you ever switched between those 2 settings and have a replay at brands hatch running in the background?! Try it, at warm2 it looks so much better as the sun falls on the pit house. It looks more sunny afternoon like. As warm1 "only" makes it sunny but you can't see the sun getting catched from the buildings.
Sorry man, it's terrible English but this stuff is hard to describe for me.

Oh, i know about that greyish picture. Pretty much the opposite of what you expect from HDR, right? Uncharted 4 looks really dull and greyish in HDR for me. I own a Samsung KS7590. Sometimes i wonder if this TV has bad HDR? But it supports HDR10. I spend hours with the setting, the end result was the same. However, HDR looks really nice to me in GT Sport and Horizon. I dont get the hype about HDR, though. For me, 4K is the bigger deal.

On the other hand, i'm noticing now when games dont support HDR. Its not so much about bright colours like most would expect... its more about more nuanced contrasts, better greys and blacks... non-HDR games tend to look a bit “flat“ in dark scenes, HDR enabled titles look better.

My top HDR experiences in games so far?

1. Horizon
2. Infamos Last Light
3. GT Sport
4. Resident evil 7

Wipeout Omega looks rather nice, but you cant toggle HDR off ingame so its hard to tell the difference. I couldnt notice any difference in Last Guardian, either.

FF XV, No mans sky and the Naughty Dog games dont benefit at all, i would dare to say. Sometimes these games look better without HDR.

So... HDR remains a critical topic. Most people dont have it, most people wont even able to try it, but some are really happy with it. Its hard to discuss something like this on the internet, even digital foundry are not saying much about their HDR experiences in the latest games.

For me, HDR is more like a nice addition. As i already said, 4K is the real deal, even on a 49“ TV which isnt THAT big...

@RaceFuchs

No. I've seen it in perfection. HDR can be a real step forward. Trust me.

Try this: enter GTS beta. Go to a track with sunlight. Pick chase came. Position the car so you can see the sun shining through some clouds. I usually have a track, the car, some grass, sun and clouds in focus. Then pause the game. Enter video settings. Enable hdr. Turn the scale left of it down to 1 and watch the sun. Turn it back up to 10. You can clearly see the benefits of hdr!! But not for the whole picture when dyn. contrast is off!
Knowing this drives me crazy because it should get better!

I leave dyn. contrast at middle now. Just for a brighter clearer not so fuzzy picture. Warm1 or warm2 I have no final decision yet.

Back