What is happening to some people in the Sarthe enduros?

• Thread starter Zardoz
  • 287 comments
All done at last thanks to the advice on this thread! Cheers guys!
Audi R8 Race Car 01, stage 4 turbo, increased rigidity, racing super hard all round, ride height max at the back, 5 down from max at the front.
Won by two clear laps, Bob didn't swerve once until seven minutes from the end, and then again on the final lap. Luckily I had such a lead it didn't really matter.
86.something% complete now!

i think i know how and why but not the cure, when i did the 24 hrs at Le Sarthe II (driving the Polyphony F1), my Bob hit the left wall twice and only after tailing an opponent and about to pass. Maybe it's because he loses control after bumping the opponent? i don't know but it only happened to me twice.

Did anyone consider the fact that most cars that enter the "real" 24 at Le Mans do not finish due to mechanical problems and that the programmers at Polyphony took this into account for these 2 enduros, to put a "glitch" in to randomly cause a "not perfect" race????
makes you want to think, hmmmmm?

ah yes. i have this happen in the NYC run all the time. turns out it's my controllers, as it does it all the time in all my other games.

Didn't have a problem on Le Sarthe 1 using B-SPEC, however Le Sarthe 2 has caused me all kinds of problems like it has many others. However, am now using a Playstation Pescarolo and all is well so far, stage 3 turbo upgrade, hard tires on front, super hard on back, NOS. Did the first 8 laps myself then handed over to bob, on lap 34 now and bob has not spun once yet and is gradually increasing his lead by 2-3 seconds a lap. I did not make any other changes to the default car setup, no ride height increase, nothing. PAL version btw aswell...

Looking good.

Didn't have a problem on Le Sarthe 1 using B-SPEC, however Le Sarthe 2 has caused me all kinds of problems like it has many others. However, am now using a Playstation Pescarolo and all is well so far, stage 3 turbo upgrade, hard tires on front, super hard on back, NOS. Did the first 8 laps myself then handed over to bob, on lap 34 now and bob has not spun once yet and is gradually increasing his lead by 2-3 seconds a lap. I did not make any other changes to the default car setup, no ride height increase, nothing. PAL version btw aswell...

Looking good.

Just out of curiosity, did you just slap on the stage 3 turbo, crank the auto adjust on the transmission to 25 and let him loose?
Or did you take the time to tune the suspension before dropping him on the track?

The reason I ask is because I find that if you take the time to properly tune car, it will improve your Bob’s (b-spec driver) performance just like it will your own. And that usually results in less time sliding off the track and riding the wall along the straightaway. A lot of people here (Myself included) grab a car, slap on additional power and harder tires then throw him on the track. And he will usually be able to run the race pretty well. But he will chew up tires, and usually have to run on a slower speed setting to maintain a good lap where he doesn’t end up in the sand after the Mulsanne straight.

This game I too picked a Pescarolo to have Bob run in the 24 hour events. But before taking it to the race I would guess that I put around 200 miles on it setting the suspension. I’d take it out, bring it back in and make some adjustments, take it out again, let Bob drive it, make some adjustments, take it out again . . . until I thought I had it set pretty well. It’s not perfect, but it’s getting there. Bob can run the car for 7 laps before having to pit for fuel. I have him running on race hard tires front and back and when he enters the pits the tires are showing a little orange in the back, and yellow up front. I would probably run medium’s on the car, but I’m sure that they would be spent by the time that he pits.

The only problem that I noticed was at the end of the race, the car’s steering was very touchy on the straight. I had set an R8 for myself that I had run through a couple series after setting. I put over 1000 miles on it before changing the oil and refreshing the frame. It felt much more stable than the Pescarolo did after the frame was warped. I may take the Audi’s settings and try them on the Pescarolo to see if that adds anything to Bob’s next run.

It seems as if the 787B doesn't care too horribly much about frame warp, at least at Fuji.

Bob hasn't really slowed down a bit, despite having warped the chassis and being down on power.

Just out of curiosity, did you just slap on the stage 3 turbo, crank the auto adjust on the transmission to 25 and let him loose?
Or did you take the time to tune the suspension before dropping him on the track?

I made no adjustments to the transmission settings, the only thing I did prior to starting the race was let bob practice on le sarthe 2 for around 10 laps.

Anyway, race update.

Bob has span once although I am not sure of the particulars as I could not change back to real time fast enough when I saw him lose speed. I do know it was on the slight right hander after the long straight, but that is the only time I have seen him spin.

At present with 1hr10min to go race time I am winning, by 2min50sec from the 787b, sauber is 1 lap behind, minolta 3 laps, xjr-9 3 laps and r89c 7 laps.

I have the "North American" version of GT4 also & wondering why trouble happens here. I left my PS2 after doing a few laps around La Sarthe I. When i come back around 4 hours later, he drops down by one 1 lap with the Playstation car in the front, the Bentley in 2nd & the Toyota in 3rd. I see no lap, but times next to the Toyota & the Bentley.

There's one turn where he messes up sometimes & thats the last turn coming out the straight away. Currently on the 95th lap, STILL in 4th place with the total time of 5:50'40'000

pardon me for digging up this thread. this thread has been tremendously helpful to me as I only just started doing the endurance races (took me a few years to get around to it :P) and I was pulling my hairs out over my Minolta spinning out and my Nissan r92cp spinning out and ending up last by a long shot. Then I read this forum and adjusted the tuning settings for my fgt by combining 2 setups from GTvault together… it still spins out every now and again and pits twice as much as the other cars because of tyres but im happily sitting on a steady 3 lap lead after 12 hours of racing. so thank you people

edit: i foregot to mention that i've witnessed the AI crash into the wall a few times aswell...

Last edited:
I think its the speed of your car i guess that over 1000 bhp is to much.You are gonna fly over the bumps and that's the reason you crash into the wall.I also noticed that if you are in slipstream it happens very much

I have found perfect setup for nissan r92cp also
TIRES front racing hard and rear super hard
RIDE HEIGHT front and rear 55mm
SHOCK BOUND front and rear 10
SHOCK REBOUND front and rear 10
STABALISERS front and rear 10
And i'm also driving on 2=reduced pace
The car is driving very smoothly also.The car doesn't end in the sand like he usually does

Last edited:
B-SPEC Bob looks to me to be turning into/onto a road that doesn't exist.my bob has 9500 pts and 98 machine skills under his belt and he still crashes into the wall at 343 KM/H:indiff:I think it is a glich in the programing that Bob doesn't like the Sarth tracks

Have been revisiting GT4 on my PS2 lately and came across the glitch where B Spec Bob just careens into the wall on the Mulsanne Straight for no reason. I'm playing the NTSC version. I had the game sped up and heard a car braking like a MF and noticed it was mine. Before I had a chance to check it out, he had already started back up to speed again. Luckily he did it again some time later. At this point I'm about 13 hours in. I know this thread is old, but it's wild to see him do that. He just scrapes the wall for like a quarter mile and comes to a complete stop lmao

Back