What is PD's reasoning with Sport?

• Thread starter RAMburger
  • 46 comments
What about GT4? That if I'm not mistaken is loved to death. Probably on the same level as GT3.

I'm sure it is, but after A-Spec the overall reception had still been steadily declining. The first three games are still the only ones with 90+ review aggregates.

4 was undoubtedly great, but not quite the triumph that A-Spec was. Then we had GT5 Prologue which was understandably more a physics demo than a game, but even 5 had significant technical shortcomings that stood out more than ever seeing as it was supposed to be the PS3's grand slam.

6 had the oppportunity to correct the major issues (bloated menus, low quality sound, filler cars, damage models, etc.) but really only the first point was addressed to any significant degree. I still play it because overall it feels like an improvement, but I would've loved to read the first PS4 GT game would have a full suit of offline features with online as a bonus instead of the main focus.

The advances in sound, car models, physics, photo modes, etc. are terrific so far, but can't help but feel they needed to scale the dynamic details back to accommodate a smooth online focus along with 4K/HDR.

It wasn't forced at all. There are 50 car modellers listed in GT6's credits. They can make 100 cars a year. That's an easy 350 cars. Instead you'll get 177 or so. That's on purpose decision making.
Your answer : "Surprisingly, polyphonic digital originally started development of Gran Turismo SPORT based on SDR. So as a matter of course, the asset at the time (asset, material set making up the game) was not compatible with wide color gamut."
Poly dev conference at CEDEC 2017 (Google translate)
http://www.4gamer.net/games/322/G032254/20170831043/

I have no problem with online if it's stable and secure, which is rarely the case; at least not compared to offline.

That's the rub. My internet can, at times, be capricious. Add what we know about GT6 servers to normal internet issues, and stir in a game focused primary towards online play, and that just sounds to me like a whole lot of "looking for trouble". Yes I can triple my internet speed but that's expensive and still would rely on how good PD's servers are.

Maybe it's more of an issue with PD though. My son plays nothing but rpg's and other fighting stuff online, and claims he never ever has any trouble unless the internet goes out.

I am not a traditional fan in the sense that many people in this forum and elsewhere are, because I got into GT with GT5, primarily because of photo mode, so I am happy GTS caters to that very well. However, I did enjoy the career modes, so unless it has been confirmed somewhere that I am unaware of, I wouldn't discount the possibility of a deepening of the career mode through DLC in GT Sport.

If they're going to water down the traditional campaign/career mode to focus on online then they better at least make sure it's as stable as bedrock,
Gran Turismo Sport is their first title to use dedicated servers instead of peer-to-peer for online. In fact, that was the primary reason for the Closed Beta, which initially served as a platform to test the stability of said system.

From what I saw of the EU Beta it was very stable indeed, similar to what I get from Forza Motorsport titles (which have been using Microsoft Azure since the shift to Xbox One).

Gran Turismo Sport is their first title to use dedicated servers instead of peer-to-peer for online. In fact, that was the primary reason for the Closed Beta, which initially served as a platform to test the stability of said system.

From what I saw of the EU Beta it was very stable indeed, similar to what I get from Forza Motorsport titles (which have been using Microsoft Azure since the shift to Xbox One).
I think only the Sport mode will have dedicated servers

I've only been playing since GT4 and can't understand the excitement over photomode and scrapes. Is this series supposed to be about racing or is it a photography simulator? As for me, if there is no traditional career mode I won't be buying Sport. Besides, I'm older and love the availability of cars in the previous games. "Tuner" era cars do nothing for me and I have no interest in them.

I've only been playing since GT4 and can't understand the excitement over photomode and scrapes. Is this series supposed to be about racing or is it a photography simulator? As for me, if there is no traditional career mode I won't be buying Sport. Besides, I'm older and love the availability of cars in the previous games. "Tuner" era cars do nothing for me and I have no interest in them.
It's both since GT4

In most of the threads I'm the odd one out. I got into the series through GT5 and online play. I know most of the fanbase is from the 90s and prefers a good career mode though. I personally don't care but I know many people do. I haven't even bothered completing GT5 or GT6's career modes, I just grind "Like the Wind" to get credits to buy cars I use online.

As for GT Sport's reasoning it's pretty obvious even ignoring any behind the scenes conspiracies. Here is my two opinions:

1: Capitalise on the emergence of the e-sports genre

2; Distance themselves from GT6 as much as possible

My opinion is, it's half a game. I'm not paying full price for half an game, and I'm sure as hell not gonna pay full price for half a game, and then be expected to pay more for features that should've been in the game from the beginning. Not happening.

My opinion is, it's half a game. I'm not paying full price for half an game, and I'm sure as hell not gonna pay full price for half a game, and then be expected to pay more for features that should've been in the game from the beginning. Not happening.

I think you misunderstand. Thread's not your reasoning for GT Sport, it's PDs.

Anyways, whats the point of making a throwaway account just to rant and never return, I've seen so many of those the past few months.

I don't care what polyphony's reasoning is, whatever reason they had was a bad one.

The fact of the matter is the people that want to have a deep offline career, are still the majority, and I've had it with these companies refusing to get that through their heads.

I don't care what polyphony's reasoning is, whatever reason they had was a bad one.

The fact of the matter is the people that want to have a deep offline career, are still the majority, and I've had it with these companies refusing to get that through their heads.

A poll on this website taken by a few hundred fans who are primarily from the PS2-era of games in the series does not account for the potential millions of sales this game will generate, so this majority you speak of are unfortunately the minority in the grand scheme of things. A small corner of the racing genre fanbase doesn't get to decide what is in a game or not.

Kaz has also stated repeatedly that he's taking the series in a new direction. After making the same game 6 times in a row with declining quality, I can't really blame him.

A poll on this website taken by a few hundred fans who are primarily from the PS2-era of games in the series does not account for the potential millions of sales this game will generate, so this majority you speak of are unfortunately the minority in the grand scheme of things. A small corner of the racing genre fanbase doesn't get to decide what is in a game or not.

The poll here may well be skewed (although it went in a direction I really didn't expect, I fully expected GTP to be much more online oriented overall) - however it remains a real measure. Where's your evidence to the contrary - just saying it's so doesn't make it so.

Kaz has also stated repeatedly that he's taking the series in a new direction. After making the same game 6 times in a row with declining quality, I can't really blame him.

That's his decision, and it's ultimately his franchise to do with as he chooses. Personally I'm calling this as a mistake, ultimately only time will tell.

Back