What is so wrong with agrressive driving?

• Thread starter Chagen46
  • 84 comments

Chagen46

(Banned)
Chagen46
Tagento66
Okay, I just read GTP's rules for online racing, and it clearly states that agressive driving (A.K.A slight contact) is banned.

That is just plain 🤬.

Yeah, if you haven't already guessed, I'm one of those so-hated aggressive drivers. I won't ram you off the road or anything, but I'll definately nudge you a little bit, scraping against you car to get through a turn, or muscling my way into the racing line, even if you're in the way. That's basically what aggressive driving is: getting a little physical.

But, no, apparently everyone in sim racing is a clean-driving p**sy.

Now, before you hide behind the "you suck" side, I'll inform you that I am pretty good at racing sims. I play Rfactor and GT5:P almost every day, and sometimes I pop in GTR2 or GTR Evo, so I definately know how to control a car. I won't be breaking any records, of course, but I know how to get around a track pretty fast. I am usually a clean driver, but I just get a little (notice how I emphasize a little? every dumbass seems to thing aggressive driving is flat-out putting someone into the wall) agressive once in a while.

But, no, everyone in sim racing just cant dare handle anyone who doesn't drive like they do....like you've gotta have dignity or something while racing. It seems that you guys think yourselves above that.I got a few words for you guys:

Get off your high horses and get the 🤬 over it.

[/rant]

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I just read GTP's rules for online racing, and it clearly states that agressive driving (A.K.A slight contact) is banned.

That is just plain bulls**t.

Yeah, if you haven't already guessed, I'm one of those so-hated aggressive drivers. I won't ram you off the road or anything, but I'll definately nudge you a little bit, scraping against you car to get through a turn, or muscling my way into the racing line, even if you're in the way. That's basically what aggressive driving is: getting a little physical.

Now, before you hide behind the "you suck" side, I'll inform you that I am pretty good at racing sims. I play Rfactor and GT5:P almost every day, and sometimes I pop in GTR2 or GTR Evo, so I definately know how to control a car. I won't be breaking any records, of course, but I know how to get around a track pretty fast. I am usually a clean driver, but I just get a little (notice how I emphasize a little? every dumbass seems to thing aggressive driving is flat-out putting someone into the wall) agressive once in a while.

But, no, everyone in sim racing just cant dare handle anyone who doesn't drive like they do....like you've gotta have dignity or something while racing. It seems that you guys think yourselves above that.I got a few words for you guys:

Get off your high horses and get the **** over it.

[/rant]

Hmmm, anger management anyone? :nervous:

The idea is to race as clean as is possible, but accidents happen.

If I bump someone offline I wait till they recover and get in front again and then race on!

I do get the impression you do not want to be with GTP, so what are you doing here?

Just what I had yesterday, Daytona Road, just before the bus stop, someone uses my car to slow down. Result he propels me into the bands.

I'm there to improve my driving and enjoy driving around, being propelled out for no reason is just plain stupid and kills the number of participants in online racing.

Just as an example, the GT Academy 2010 winners last weekend, drove in slower cars to prove they can drive clean and like gentlemen with the faster drivers around:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3795851&postcount=6

So GTP is not asking anything else then you would expect in real life, some racing behaviour.

There will always be some others that are there with a gaming attitude, all GTP (and many other groups of racers) states is: "we do not appreciate them". Once there will be private rooms you might see that some people are not allowed in anymore in certain circles, just to enhance enjoyment of a certain racing vision.

Eh if you don't like the rules don't participate. I'm not fond of the rules or the way the WRS is ran so therefore I don't race in it. It's pretty simple really.

And for future reference there are better ways of voicing your concerns then the way you have shown. You might want to watch it with the language.

That is just plain 🤬.

snip

[/rant]

It's simple. Just stay the 🤬 out of the WRS. Problem solved.

Accidental contact in a race is fine... but actually, intentionally trying to squeeze your six foot wide car into the five-foot-six inch wide gap between the guy in front of you and the apex of the corner is a no-no.

You get black-flagged for such inconsiderate behavior in real-life track days, and you'll get absolutely no love from anyone here for doing it online. In a professional race? You get fined, lose a few points... maybe suspended. If you're racing open-wheelers, maybe killed. I honestly don't know why people think that contact is actually a normal and forgiveable part of racing... the recepients of such "love-taps" often respond with something a little less loving after the race is over.

I've had my share of dings, but I've had the decency to pull over and cede a position if I felt I'd won the position unfairly. Winning an online race isn't as important to me as winning it fair and square. We're not racing for real money or a real trophy. We're racing in GT5 (in the pro-physics events, no less... the standard events are full of wankers) because we want an invigorating challenge and want to improve the level of our driving.

I don't race in the WRS because:

1. I don't have the time,
2. I don't have a steering wheel, so while I'm fairly good, I'm not competitive with the best... even when they're on the pad, also...
3. I can't meet the strict standards of the racing series. My overtaking sucks. I sometimes bang fenders in the heat of battle. I like playing the PPs to rig a better starting position (against GTP rules, but it's fun to experiment with racing with low PPs... sometimes we get a whole grid of guys seeing how low they can get their PPs and still have enough pace to stay in front).

Thus... I don't join. I don't see what's the problem.

You join this forum, you abide by the rules. You use the GTP tag online, you're also expected to abide by its rules of conduct. If you don't, just go untagged. Makes absolutely no difference.

Last edited:
You join this forum, you abide by the rules. You use the GTP tag online, you're also expected to abide by its rules of conduct. If you don't, just go untagged. Makes absolutely no difference.

I usually use an untaged PSN ID if I feel my driving is sloppy with the car and track that I'm learning to race in. But I still try hard not to make contact with other cars.

trollfacev.jpg

It seems that you guys think yourselves above that.I got a few words for you guys:

1. Wrong pal - it's called respect for your fellow racer.

2. Hey Tonto - if your going to take that attitude,perhaps you should get on your horse and ride off into the sunset.

I was having a good battle with someone on Suzuka in the NSX event (Who was a slightly faster racer than me, I was trying to keep up). We were 1st and second, with another NSX behind me (I was in a sandwich).

I turned in too early at the chicane and got myself a 5 seconds penalty. The 3rd placed NSX passed me. The out of place Elise that was behind caught up with me and proceeded to punt me off when we got to turn 1. It ruined my race. I almost caught back up to the guy in second place, and I would have done had I not been punted off.

The Elise has shorter braking distances. I'm sure he didn't mean to punt me off, but he could have done better to avoid me, he could have dived in on the inside if he wanted to brake late, and I would have given him room to make a clean pass. But no, he wanted the race line that I was on.

....like you've gotta have dignity or something while racing. It seems that you guys think yourselves above that.I got a few words for you guys:

There actualy is something called "Dignity" and "Sportmanship" in racing. Keep racing like that and you'll end up, as someone said here, receiving absolutely no love from the judges and other competitors. And maybe you could get killed if tried in an open wheeler. Clean racing is what we should strive for. Why? Because that's what happens in real life. You never see the R15 and the 908 trading paint at the Mulsanne unless it's a horrific accident. That kind of contact is only seen on NASCAR.

So, if you don't like to race clean, don't race here at GTP. And don't even think about racing in real life unless you want to relieve the world of your existance...

This thread just makes me laugh :lol: Hopefully I dont meet you online....

Oooh, I know this one. Is it that it's spelled wrong?

Not you again. Seriously, stop stalking me.

As for everyone else here, I think I've slightly calmed down. In reality, I rarely ever drive that dangerously. I usually am a clean racer, it's just that I have a tendency to get pushed over the edge and flip out.

Your not being stalked, it is simply that if you post then every member is allowed (as long as they abide by the AUP) to respond should they wish to.

If you don't like that then the solution is quite simple, don't post.

Scaff

No offence, but I've no idea who you are. However, if you want me to stop responding to your posts, stop making them.

Seriously seriously. With honours.

No offence, but I've no idea who you are. However, if you want me to stop responding to your posts, stop making them.

Seriously seriously. With honours.

Well, stop showing up every time I make one little spelling mistake.

Seriously, this is starting to get a little creepy.

It's OK in my opinion to drive aggressive. It's a whole different different to drive reckless. I can understand when you pass someone and accidentally rub someone with your rear quarter panels, but when you intentionally aim for the other person just bump them out of their lines just to carry speed through the turn is just reckless. I can understand the frustration when the person in front of you would on purposely block you. Sometimes it's due to lagging too. To all the slower driver. Please have courtesy and just pulled over slightly. That's just my two cents.

Clean driving p**ssy? Driving aggressively is easy, bumping and grinding you're way to the finish requires no skill at all, no form of self control or an intellegent knowledge to imply a code of conduct.
It is harder to do, it is harder in general to be polite and respectful to others than being a bully and just shout out whatever first pops up in your mind.

The ideal racing circumstances require gentlemen drivers, who know their limits, are thrustworthy and respect each other on a track.
I made misstakes online, always apologised afterwards and some of these people became online-friends.
Some people you respect and respect you over a period of time and fair clean races will tolerate therefor some mutual misstakes or slight physical contact by accident or sometimes when it gets really close some physical contact as simply unavoidable.

But this is only acceptable when you know and respect each other, if i race someone i never raced before or don't know i always take the safe option and brake earlier, leave enough space between us.
For it is more important to experience a clean fair race than to win at all cost.
If having discipline, respect and the skill to drive clean and fast makes you a clean driving p**ssy in your incomprehensible logic then so be it.
Always preferable than being a complete and utter t#*t......

Last edited:
In karting people do barge and push people off the racing line and there is quite abit of contact. Not contact like barging people off however still people are tapping others in the back while racing. To me thats part of the racing.

However in sim racing it is all to easy to hit and ruin a race by taking that barge to far. In karting that would usuallyh result in a black flag and probably some kart damage. However in sim racing you just get a small time penalty. If so called fair barging was allowed then everyones idea of it would be different and you would end up with huge arguments unhappy people and because ther is no offical rules on how to launch a meaningful protest it would end up in chaos. So you have to draw a line somewhere, in this case that is no barging.
Hopefully the introduction of damage will solve this by punishing your for hitting someone unfairly however if you do a "fair" barge then you won't get any damage.

That is just plain 🤬.

[/rant]

If you're 'such a good driver' and 'definately know how to control a car', there shouldn't be any need for aggressive (it's spelled with TWO gs, by the way, and ONE r) driving, no matter how slight it is. 💡 :P

Here's a thought: use your talent to learn how to get by others without pushing them around. huh?

It's simple. Just stay the 🤬 out of the WRS. Problem solved.

Accidental contact in a race is fine... but actually, intentionally trying to squeeze your six foot wide car into the five-foot-six inch wide gap between the guy in front of you and the apex of the corner is a no-no.

You get black-flagged for such inconsiderate behavior in real-life track days, and you'll get absolutely no love from anyone here for doing it online. In a professional race? You get fined, lose a few points... maybe suspended. If you're racing open-wheelers, maybe killed. I honestly don't know why people think that contact is actually a normal and forgiveable part of racing... the recepients of such "love-taps" often respond with something a little less loving after the race is over.

..coulda said it myself. 👍 +Rep

Last edited:
To be honest guys, I played the FM3 demo today, and I noticed that I drove very cleanly; I o always tried to not bump anyone, and I just went for clean passes. Hell, when some guy crashed, I immediately jerked the wheel to get out of his way.

I seriously over-reacted in this thread, and fell really ashamed of myself.:guilty: I'm mostly a clean driver after all...but I'm aggressive in the manner of braking much later for turns that normal and using drifting sometimes.

That is just plain 🤬.

[/rant]

/ content removed: issue addressed clean driving FTW /

Edit: And surely one of those 50 science books you've read has the word 'definitely' in it. Remember, finite right in the middle. Lots of browsers have a spell check option nowadays. I like Google Chrome myself. /rant.

Edit 2: Dude, it isn't stalking for one of the most active moderators on the boards to respond to posts. Especially when the nature of the post might've led someone to report it. I didn't, I'm just saying I could see it happening.

Last edited:
Back