What is so wrong with agrressive driving?

• Thread starter Chagen46
  • 84 comments
Indeed.

When I say aggressive (happy NOW, Famine?), I mean these two things:

1:I brake much later than normal for corners.

2: If I start sliding through a corner, I use it to my advantage and drift through it, rather than slow down to maintain grip.

Don't worry about it. A lot of people here are members of the 'Take it too serious' club. It's only a game and unless a GTP member purchased the game for you and let you have it on the condition you drive 'cleanly', then you go punting off as many people as you want. Afterall it's your cash.

Don't get me wrong, it's annoying when someone punts you off in the first corner. But hey that's life, and you can send them a private message informing them of how much of a ****stick they are.

Don't worry about it. A lot of people here are members of the 'Take it too serious' club. It's only a game and unless a GTP member purchased the game for you and let you have it on the condition you drive 'cleanly', then you go punting off as many people as you want. Afterall it's your cash.

Don't get me wrong, it's annoying when someone punts you off in the first corner. But hey that's life, and you can send them a private message informing them of how much of a ****stick they are.

You know, I can detect sarcasm, even on the internet.

Don't try to pull that one me, as a real life Deapan Snarker, I can see that kind of stuff.

A lot of the stuff that GTPers look down upon is common practice the British Touring Car Championship. Rubbing and nudging is part of racing. Except that in real racing when someone nudges you, you nudge them back, but in GT5P when someone nudges you, you get even and ram them off the road. I think the best solution is to have a real person moderate the race and have him/her hand out drive through penalties as he/she seems fit.

I will ram people off the road every chance I get so you probably don't want to play with me.

looser.jpg

Please share your psn ID so I'll know when to xmb out of the race.

It's "BasketSnake".

BasketSnake - I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing, but how can you expect to be taken seriously? Did you see me coming, before, yesterday when I was mad? I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more. Was it worth it? Is it so hard? It's a sin - but you'll get one more chance.

I'm with stupid.

There's a big difference between aggressive driving and being a jerk. Getting right up on someone's tail and pressuring them until they make a mistake, allowing you to pass, is perfectly fine and is more or less what you're supposed to be doing while racing. Driving like you're in the chariot race in Ben Hur is obnoxious and a great way to have people not want to race you.

I do, though, hope that people will be more tolerant of intentional body contact when racing touring cars once GT5 comes out. A touring car race without intentional contact is like a day at the beach without sunshine.

All I'm saying is I will drive whichever racing game however I want whenever I want to. I paid for the game and noone will ever tell me how I'm supposed to play the game. I've not yet participated in any racing leagues or anything around here and I guess I won't even bother. You're taking things too serious. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. If I was to participate in any of the races you guys set up I'd follow the rules of course! If I'm driving random races online with total strangers then I'll follow the rules created by Polyphony Digital.

Of course the obvious solution to the problem of not liking any of the current race series is to start your own "destruction derby" race series instead of complaining about the existing ones. :rolleyes:

I do, though, hope that people will be more tolerant of intentional body contact when racing touring cars once GT5 comes out. A touring car race without intentional contact is like a day at the beach without sunshine.

Agree completely. So many people are overly uptight when it comes to contact, it ruined GT5:P online for me. I never intentionally rammed anyone, but I did nudge them and bump them since that's what happens in actually racing, especially close racing. If the other person spun then they were just a causality of hard racing, I wouldn't wait for them to catch up. Just as if I spun out I wouldn't expect anyone else to wait for me.

Are people really that worked up over a video game race?

One thing they could do in GT5 is include multiplayer race types where you're supposed to hit other cars. Forza 3's cat and mouse is a great example of the kind of thing they could do. If you haven't played it, cat and mouse has two teams, each with a "cat"-a fast car and a "mouse"-a slow car. The objective is to have your team's mouse cross the finish line first, and it's up to the cats to prevent the other team's mouse from doing so while protecting their own mouse, by any means necessary. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

Just go play forza then,or nfs for that matter. GT is the home of REAL racers and not some kids place where you can just do/race however you want.

I have had nothing but crap races the last couple of weeks,ramming galore...im not saying it is bad to nudge someone..but come on if i am faster then for gods sake let me pass instead of weaving all over the track like a douche.ag.

I could care less how cool you think you are,the things you do on track(fair racing/letting a faster guy/girl pass/those things) will make you cool in my book.

Whatever happend to the quality racing in the beginning of GT5P?
I miss those days,and i know im not the only one.

Be fair or be gone!

Agree completely. So many people are overly uptight when it comes to contact, it ruined GT5:P online for me. I never intentionally rammed anyone, but I did nudge them and bump them since that's what happens in actually racing, especially close racing. If the other person spun then they were just a causality of hard racing, I wouldn't wait for them to catch up. Just as if I spun out I wouldn't expect anyone else to wait for me.

Are people really that worked up over a video game race?

It's actually up to you.

Do note... while accidentally trading paint does happen, it's not encouraged in real-life racing. Even the slightest bit of traded paint (in a professional race) can see racers arguing heatedly in front of the stewards at the end of the round.

Or... again... trading "love taps" with their fists. :lol:

At the highest levels of motorsport... do even one thing that might cause car-on-car contact, and they'll throw the book at you... and if you actually cause car-on-car contact on purpose, you lose points or get suspended. Even in the series cited earlier, the BTCC, drivers will get points and places docked if they punt someone off. If you make it a habit of punting or banging? You get suspended from the series. Hit the same guy just twice and you're up before a military tribunal, with your head on the chopping block.

Thus... while a certain amount of contact is unavoidable, the onus is on the serious professional driver to avoid it by all means possible. This gives you better odds of staying out of trouble, of keeping the car in one piece till the end of the race and of not having other drivers purposely bang fenders with you next time around.

That's the standard the GTP WRS tries to hold itself to. Kind of anal? Maybe. But again, that's why I don't join. Not worthy. :D

One thing they could do in GT5 is include multiplayer race types where you're supposed to hit other cars. Forza 3's cat and mouse is a great example of the kind of thing they could do. If you haven't played it, cat and mouse has two teams, each with a "cat"-a fast car and a "mouse"-a slow car. The objective is to have your team's mouse cross the finish line first, and it's up to the cats to prevent the other team's mouse from doing so while protecting their own mouse, by any means necessary. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

Why don't they just go the full route and let you buy old bangers and smash em' up in demo derbies?💡

To be honest guys, I played the FM3 demo today, and I noticed that I drove very cleanly; I o always tried to not bump anyone, and I just went for clean passes. Hell, when some guy crashed, I immediately jerked the wheel to get out of his way.

I seriously over-reacted in this thread, and fell really ashamed of myself.:guilty: I'm mostly a clean driver after all...but I'm aggressive in the manner of braking much later for turns that normal and using drifting sometimes.

Outbraking you're opponent is not aggressive, it's part of racing as long as you leave enough space for the other to turn in and not blocking them intentionally.
If your opponent is not aware you're beside him/her that's their fault, racing is being alert all the time and looking behind as well as forward and sideways.

I'm a loser who's going to crash your car :)

It has to really suck to be you.It's got to be lonely at the bottom.GT5 comes out with private rooms and everybody will be racing with their friends,and there you are,all by your lonesome,playing with yourself.

Hope you have fun :lol:

Outbraking you're opponent is not aggressive, it's part of racing as long as you leave enough space for the other to turn in and not blocking them intentionally.
If your opponent is not aware you're beside him/her that's their fault, racing is being alert all the time and looking behind as well as forward and sideways.

Well, i dont think drifting through a turn is excactly a condoned technique....

You've obviously never been to the UK :D

Touring car battles are often fiercely fought with physical contact always imminent and often unavoidable.
But imminent and unavoidable are not the same as intentional.

And Chagen46, you may drift through a corner if you feel like doing so as long as you leave room for me to overtake, as drifting is not the fastest or most efficient way to take a corner spectacular as it may be.
Drifting through a corner during a race is like slaloming on a straight, slow and unnecessary and if you're therefor also blocking opponents it's not appreciated.

And Chagen46, you may drift through a corner if you feel like doing so as long as you leave room for me to overtake, as drifting is not the fastest or most efficient way to take a corner spectacular as it may be.
Drifting through a corner during a race is like slaloming on a straight, slow and unnecessary and if you're therefor also blocking opponents it's not appreciated.

But see, that's kind of my point; if you drift through a corner you do lose speed, but you've also closed off a major amount of your opponents routes past you, forcing them to slow down or go off-road.

Hey, drivers in Touge do it (Yes, I know they're not professional drivers, but it takes a lot of skill to drive through those narrow japanese mountain passes, after all)

To be honest guys, I played the FM3 demo today, and I noticed that I drove very cleanly; I o always tried to not bump anyone, and I just went for clean passes. Hell, when some guy crashed, I immediately jerked the wheel to get out of his way.

I seriously over-reacted in this thread, and fell really ashamed of myself.:guilty: I'm mostly a clean driver after all...but I'm aggressive in the manner of braking much later for turns that normal and using drifting sometimes.

I think we need to give change46 a benefit of a doubt. I really think he should've thought this through before he post. Based on your original post you came across just ignorant. Now it is more clear what your intention are.

Drifting in trackdays = automatic black flag... depending on how uptight the stewards are and whether it looks intentional.

A drift is almost never the fastest way through a corner, and taking up the space meant for two or three cars through a corner can lead to incidents. Seriously... it's frowned up by most organizers. (Yes, I was disappointed when I found this out, too.)

-

Drifting in F1, however = instant clip of the day. :D

Back