What is so wrong with agrressive driving?

• Thread starter Chagen46
  • 84 comments
Looks like we have an other Tony (and what happen to him?)on our hand but instead showing of his pace, it's about being aggressive while racing.

The problem with GT5P is the slight lag. I do try my utmost to be a clean racer ( i like the challenge ) but when your on someones ass and they brake, it takes time for it to register on your screen, than you register to actually brake, and then it to register back on the other guys screen. And in the mean time its way to easy to end up punting into the back of him/her and send them off the track. But when this happens, I slow down and let em back in front. Plus there is no consequences, no car damage or decent penalty. It promotes lazy racing.

The problem with GT5P is the slight lag. I do try my utmost to be a clean racer ( i like the challenge ) but when your on someones ass and they brake, it takes time for it to register on your screen, than you register to actually brake, and then it to register back on the other guys screen. And in the mean time its way to easy to end up punting into the back of him/her and send them off the track. But when this happens, I slow down and let em back in front. Plus there is no consequences, no car damage or decent penalty. It promotes lazy racing.

There are two things you can do that might help you in this instance;

1. Anticipate the racer's braking points.

If you feel the guy knows the track, there are more chances that he'll know where to brake. If he makes mistakes, seems wobbly or pushed too much on a corner/straight, be prepared to brake early because he certainly will make an emergency manoeuver to save his ass.

2. remember and contain Draft.

GT5p's drafting is amazingly too powerful and really hurts your braking power. If you are following a car from up close, plan on braking almost a full second before your regular braking point, which should, considering the Drafting, put you at the right spot for the turn.

GT5p's drafting is amazingly too powerful and really hurts your braking power. If you are following a car from up close, plan on braking almost a full second before your regular braking point, which should, considering the Drafting, put you at the right spot for the turn

Ii sure caught me out the first time that happened!:dopey:

I saw quite some evolution in Chagen46 in this thread:

Indeed.

When I say aggressive (happy NOW, Famine?), I mean these two things:

1:I brake much later than normal for corners.

2: If I start sliding through a corner, I use it to my advantage and drift through it, rather than slow down to maintain grip.

Lets hope to meet Chagen46 online and see that aggressive is not that bad:
1) Break late, ok where there is room
Not when you know you punt of people
2) Drift, seems a challenge for the person following. But a good driver will give you room before the next corner, go really fast through it and pass you very quickly after the corner.
3) Putting pressure, I sometimes do not pass where I could, just to wait for the other to make a mistake or wait to use the slipstream to pass on the last bit where you can, so I'm certain they won't do the same to me half a round further.

Rubbing is one thing.
But in the short time I've been racing online, I've been victim to more than one IDIOT driving WAY over their head, that gets into a out of control drift in the second corner of High Speed Ring only to regain conrol as I'm passing only to get T-boned into the wall.
This puts me off my line, AND garners me a 5 second contact penalty.

I don't race a lot, yet, cause I'm not as confident in my skills as I was with GT3 and 4, But I have a LOT less time in on GT5P.

I also have NO love whatsoever, for the JERKS that decide the only way to keep their position is to drive back and forth all over the track so that passing them becomes nearly impossible.

I would say I am an aggressive driver, certainly overtaker and there's a fine line between aggressive and dangerous. Knowing when to back down is the line, I will brake extremely late and block the apex to make a pass, I will take up as much of the road as possible when defending (never swerving or anything, but I'll deliberately sit in the centre of the road before a turn to make an inside lunge to risky and block the apex to stop the 'normal' line getting around me), I won't back down when I'm door-to-door with someone easily and so on. That said, I know my limits because I've put in the time to be able to run close to another car without putting them at risk. Perhaps I will be in a position where they can only do themselves damage, especially cockpit users who can't see to their side very easily, but thats not my problem if you don't watch your mirrors/windows for me breaking late on the inside however I will back down if I'm not properly alongside.

The real problem with aggressive drivers is those which are trying to do things they simply can't do, overconfidence in their car/ability. Especially when they see someone in a stable car make a nice move on someone, they try to emulate them and just don't have the precision and race craft to know how to make it happen without putting someones race at risk. That is of course excluding the people who just ram and make contact on purpose, rubbing accidentally is fine as it just happens because people are trying hard, those who make contact on purpose aren't aggressive, they're downright stupid.

Let's be honest, without some aggressive driving we'd do almost all of the overtaking on the straights, as if we don't already do that enough. Thats why I use slow cars with big grip so I can do some real overtaking, work for the pass.

I don't know about you guys, but for me it's a lot more fun when you work your way from the back of the field to the front. It doesn't matter if you podium for that race or not. For example, if you start out in the 11th position and ended up in 4th or 5th is much more gratifying than to race by yourself in the front of the grid. But that's just me.

That said, I know my limits because I've put in the time to be able to run close to another car without putting them at risk. Perhaps I will be in a position where they can only do themselves damage, especially cockpit users who can't see to their side very easily, but thats not my problem if you don't watch your mirrors/windows for me breaking late on the inside however I will back down if I'm not properly alongside.

Agreed with most of what you wrote, except what you describing isn't aggressive but more defensive driving and seazing opportunities when they appear, and knowing your limits ofcourse.

The reason i'm replying is the misconception in general that when you use interior view ( which i use only ) you're less able to look around.
Sure some loss of view is apparant, but i'm always alert and looking forwards, backwards, sideways and glancing the 3 available mirrors all the time unless i'm so far ahead i can fully concentrate on consistent lap times.

I agree however that a lot of drivers aren't alert enough and just focus on their ideal line regardless of any traffic behind pushing to overtake and if they take the corners in a way which leaves no room and don't expect someone to overtake them ( as they aren't even aware sometimes someone is approaching ) an eventual collision is often their own fault.
Racing is apart from many other things also processing info and responding to it continually and being alert constantly, whether you use interior view or not.

Agreed with most of what you wrote, except what you describing isn't aggressive but more defensive driving and seazing opportunities when they appear, and knowing your limits ofcourse.

The reason i'm replying is the misconception in general that when you use interior view ( which i use only ) you're less able to look around.
Sure some loss of view is apparant, but i'm always alert and looking forwards, backwards, sideways and glancing the 3 available mirrors all the time unless i'm so far ahead i can fully concentrate on consistent lap times.

I agree however that a lot of drivers aren't alert enough and just focus on their ideal line regardless of any traffic behind pushing to overtake and if they take the corners in a way which leaves no room and don't expect someone to overtake them ( as they aren't even aware sometimes someone is approaching ) an eventual collision is often their own fault.
Racing is apart from many other things also processing info and responding to it continually and being alert constantly, whether you use interior view or not.

Oh I agree entirely, when I use cockpit, which is always unless I'm on pad, I have my G25 buttons on the wheel set to look left and right so I can check without worrying about my steering or something. That said if you're using chase you can see everything around you at all times, thus you can avoid contact easier such as turning in onto somebody as they stick their nose in.

The thing is alot of people seem to think anything which is even remotely risky is aggressive (I'm not saying it's anyone here or pointing fingers), whether it be trying a bit of a lunge under braking or trying to overtake in the Suzuka esses. I got some stick last year for trying to overtake in the esses in one race, even though I made it stick and didn't hit anyone just because I blocked the apex to make the place mine.

As mentioned, it's being within your limits which make it go from simply racing hard to aggressive because if someone can't handle the car in a particular pass, it will go wrong and they shouldn't be attempting it until they're more comfortable.

i try to race it like i do on single player, to get a cool looking replay. the other jerks ruin it for me though -_-

I would say I am an aggressive driver, certainly overtaker and there's a fine line between aggressive and dangerous.....I know my limits because I've put in the time to be able to run close to another car without putting them at risk.

Same here. GTP_Egghead knows this really well. :lol:👍

I was all over him last night and hardly ever touched him. I can anticipate when other drivers will be braking, so I usually let off and start braking shortly before. I do use my left foot for braking, so I can touch the brakes gently if I need to. That is also my technique for getting by someone that won't let me by. Fill up their rear view mirror with the nose of my car for a couple laps and they are bound to make a mistake. :sly:

Same here. GTP_Egghead knows this really well. :lol:👍

I was all over him last night and hardly ever touched him. I can anticipate when other drivers will be braking, so I usually let off and start braking shortly before. I do use my left foot for braking, so I can touch the brakes gently if I need to. That is also my technique for getting by someone that won't let me by. Fill up their rear view mirror with the nose of my car for a couple laps and they are bound to make a mistake. :sly:

It also takes a lot of skills to do what you do though R1600Turbo. I love doing what you do. I think it takes so much focus on the driver that's behind to still keep his lines and not bump the one in the front. But I've been in front of you before while you are nipping at my rear bumpers. It take a whole lot more focusing just to stay in front though.....lol:lol:

It take a whole lot more focusing just to stay in front though.....lol:lol:

I know that feeling myself. Too many times I have hounded someone for a couple laps, finally got past them then messed up the next corner so they go right back by. :crazy:

That is also my technique for getting by someone that won't let me by. Fill up their rear view mirror with the nose of my car for a couple laps and they are bound to make a mistake.

I know I have experienced that from you :)

Yes all too often when I have the lead I usually muck up a corner :nervous:!

I know that feeling myself. Too many times I have hounded someone for a couple laps, finally got past them then messed up the next corner so they go right back by. :crazy:

I can't count the number of time that I've done that. Spends lap after lap finding a way around the person in front of you. When you finally do, Eff it up the very next corner.......:lol:

Back