What is the Most Overrated Car Of All Time?

I'm not impressed. To call something good offroad I would need to see it do serious work over rocks/through bombholes, etc.

There are plenty of videos out there showing H2's going over some pretty extreme stuff. There is also some show H1's going up a vertical wall.
 
Except when it's both...

My other site is literally replete with examples of moronic children who won't accept that there are better cars than the 106/Saxo (and most recently and hilariously, the 206 - a 206 forum set upon a member who'd bought a better car and remarked, truthfully, that it was "a bit of a step up from a 206". We watched and laughed).

And this fulfils the "rated" part of the word "overrated". The fact that the cars are actually crap fulfils the "over" part.

Every car has its fanatics. If we were to consider the lunatic fringe for every vehicle then surely we wouldn't have only compiled 40 odd cars (I didn't count, I guessed. No need to get semantic on this particular point) but would be listing every single car ever made.

My take on "overrated" is that it's not just the fans of the vehicle to think its the danglies, but also the media, and by extension, the general public. The cognoscenti on the other hand, know better, although some may be part of the lunatic fringe for thier pet cars.
I've never heard anyone singing the praises of the Corolla other than to call it reliable. Nor have I heard much about the euro shopping trolleys other than the mention of their competency and in some cases, sporting pretensions. I may not be as plugged in to the UK/ Euro market as you are, but I have tons of family and friends there. Nary a peep.

But that's just me.
 
Every car has its fanatics. If we were to consider the lunatic fringe for every vehicle then surely we wouldn't have only compiled 40 odd cars (I didn't count, I guessed. No need to get semantic on this particular point) but would be listing every single car ever made.

My take on "overrated" is that it's not just the fans of the vehicle to think its the danglies, but also the media, and by extension, the general public. The cognoscenti on the other hand, know better, although some may be part of the lunatic fringe for thier pet cars.
I've never heard anyone singing the praises of the Corolla other than to call it reliable. Nor have I heard much about the euro shopping trolleys other than the mention of their competency and in some cases, sporting pretensions. I may not be as plugged in to the UK/ Euro market as you are, but I have tons of family and friends there. Nary a peep.

But that's just me.

In order to truly believe the 10Saxo is the greatest car ever made, you need to be a male 14-21 year old (old enough that you, your brother or your mate owns one and drives it like an absolute coq), preferably from a disadvantaged background or area.

This is about 6 million people in the UK - or about 10% of the population. Where 1 in 10 people think something is utterly faultless, that's a significant proportion.


Like you, I don't know anyone personally who thinks along such lines. But then, like you, I imagine my personal company and genetic-sharers aren't imbeciles.
 
In order to truly believe the 10Saxo is the greatest car ever made, you need to be a male 14-21 year old (old enough that you, your brother or your mate owns one and drives it like an absolute coq), preferably from a disadvantaged background or area.
On the train upto Cardiff I sat next to a nice 23 year old women. We chatted about the coming game, work, uni and then came cars.

She was on her 5th car, a P reg Polo, but had 3 Saxo's and a 106 previous! And swore they were the dogs bollocks. And I quote,"great for racing mates through the streets of Ammanford."

So the only criteria she met is that she came from Ammanford, a place that exists purely to be bored in and so train companies can make money.
 
Girls are an odd bunch. First they have to be bothered about cars which, let's be fair, rules most girls out. But then they have to be in "that" crowd too - and they're age independant because it's the age of their male friends (from whom they get attention for having a bright pink hatchback) which is relevant...

That's kinda why I left girls off the list. But we've seen plenty of them on Barryboys before exactly as you describe.
 
I know a girl who only ever buys Peugeots. Had a string of them, for some unfathomable reason. I know another girl though who's dad works for Ford, so she likes Capris, the Racing Puma, Ford Focii - decent cars, in other words. I knew a girl at uni who thought that any Vauxhall was the dogs' danglies, because her dad owned a Vauxhall dealership. She thought that Corsas were good cars... poor, deluded thing.

I'm just so glad my girlfriend likes proper cars, like classic Minis, classic Beetles and loves VW Type 2s. Though it was sort of me who got her into those.
 
My girlfriend/fiancee/soon-to-be-wife has owned two MX-5s (well, one Eunos), a 205 GTi and a 309 GTi. And has driven an Elise 111S, a K-series Caterham and a Group N Evo.

Do I win? :D
 
I don't KNOW what is the most overRated car but I think it could be the Nissan GTR. That's what I think.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My girlfriend/fiancee/soon-to-be-wife has owned two MX-5s (well, one Eunos), a 205 GTi and a 309 GTi. And has driven an Elise 111S, a K-series Caterham and a Group N Evo.

Do I win? :D

You win this round Famine... but I shall return, muahahahaha :sly:
 
My girlfriend/fiancee/soon-to-be-wife has owned two MX-5s (well, one Eunos), a 205 GTi and a 309 GTi. And has driven an Elise 111S, a K-series Caterham and a Group N Evo.

Do I win? :D

ZZOMG!! Ludicris claim!!!11!
 
My girlfriend likes the RX-8, I forgive her and thank her for at least liking a RWD coupe. :D
 
She'd like me to point out she's driven an RX-8 also.

And a Chimaera, S2 Elise, Group N Polo and Nova, a supercharged 200hp MX-5 and "every type of mundane hatchback you can imagine".
 
In order to truly believe the 10Saxo is the greatest car ever made, you need to be a male 14-21 year old (old enough that you, your brother or your mate owns one and drives it like an absolute coq), preferably from a disadvantaged background or area.

This is about 6 million people in the UK - or about 10% of the population. Where 1 in 10 people think something is utterly faultless, that's a significant proportion.


Like you, I don't know anyone personally who thinks along such lines. But then, like you, I imagine my personal company and genetic-sharers aren't imbeciles.

I don't think that's quite right, its never perfect for them until its got stickers in the window, some 'alloy' hubcaps, a set of shimmering crystallized brake lights, eyelids on the front, a nice plastic bumper which isn't quite the same colour as the bonnet, but who's going to notice?

Take a screw driver and put a few sizable holes in the muffler, just so it sounds fast to go with the racing appearance.

Oh and don't forget to cut the coils in half so it scraps along the ground when youve got all your mates in the back.

Perfect 👍


I know a girl who only ever buys Peugeots. Had a string of them, for some unfathomable reason. I know another girl though who's dad works for Ford, so she likes Capris, the Racing Puma, Ford Focii - decent cars, in other words. I knew a girl at uni who thought that any Vauxhall was the dogs' danglies, because her dad owned a Vauxhall dealership. She thought that Corsas were good cars... poor, deluded thing.

I'm just so glad my girlfriend likes proper cars, like classic Minis, classic Beetles and loves VW Type 2s. Though it was sort of me who got her into those.

Hey the 306 is decent, I would get a newer one I like it that much a turbo diesel one though.

My girlfriend wants a blue mini cooper :) the new one though :indiff:
Possibly because its the only car she can recognise :p
 
Don't get me wrong, I quite like most Peugeots pre-2002 ish, which is roughly when they stopped producing things like the 106, 306 and 406... you know, the pretty Peugeots, the ones that Pininfarina had a hand in, and then for reasons unbeknownst to the rest of the world decided to take the styling in-house. I don't think they're the world's best cars (though as mentioned earlier, the 106 Rallye is one of my favourite hot hatches, I think the 406 Coupe is beautiful and the regular 406 was a lovely car - we owned a 98 1.8 LX for a while, a bit like the one in the pic below but a darker metallic red) but they're certainly a hell of a lot better than the current ones. When was the last time the 407 beat a Mondeo in a road test? Probably never happened. Happened frequently with the 406 when it came out.

406.jpg


Getting back to my point, this person I know had a 206, replaced it with another, then got a 307, and AFAIK has now got a 207. Quite why is beyond me, given the other choices out there.
 
My girlfriend/fiancee/soon-to-be-wife has owned two MX-5s (well, one Eunos), a 205 GTi and a 309 GTi. And has driven an Elise 111S, a K-series Caterham and a Group N Evo.

Do I win? :D

If you two are finally tying the knot... I'd count that as an epic win. :D

---

My woman won't drive anything with more than 80 horses. She's deathly afraid of our family car and is currently learning to drive on a diesel truck. Go figure. :lol:
 
Pfft. My girlfriend owns and drives a mid-engined rear wheel drive turbo monster.

icar24.jpg
 
And she lived?

She did.

She was no fan of the driving position - she couldn't get the seat close enough to fully depress the clutch pedal. Which is peculiar as we had an identical seat position in the MX-5, though my seat is at least 4 clicks back compared to hers in the MX-3...


If you two are finally tying the knot... I'd count that as an epic win. :D

Finally? It'll only have been just over two years when we do...

I don't think that's quite right, its never perfect for them until its got stickers in the window, some 'alloy' hubcaps, a set of shimmering crystallized brake lights, eyelids on the front, a nice plastic bumper which isn't quite the same colour as the bonnet, but who's going to notice?

Take a screw driver and put a few sizable holes in the muffler, just so it sounds fast to go with the racing appearance.

Oh and don't forget to cut the coils in half so it scraps along the ground when youve got all your mates in the back.

Perfect 👍

:lol:

You missed an Evo/F50/bedpan-style bonnet vent, fake plastic discs for the rear and exhaust tips which make it look like a church organ.


Don't get me wrong, I quite like most Peugeots pre-2002 ish, which is roughly when they stopped producing things like the 106, 306 and 406... you know, the pretty Peugeots, the ones that Pininfarina had a hand in, and then for reasons unbeknownst to the rest of the world decided to take the styling in-house. I don't think they're the world's best cars (though as mentioned earlier, the 106 Rallye is one of my favourite hot hatches, I think the 406 Coupe is beautiful and the regular 406 was a lovely car - we owned a 98 1.8 LX for a while, a bit like the one in the pic below but a darker metallic red) but they're certainly a hell of a lot better than the current ones. When was the last time the 407 beat a Mondeo in a road test? Probably never happened. Happened frequently with the 406 when it came out.

It was the 6s where Peugeot lost the way. Back when they had the 205, 309, 405 and, yes, 605, they were producing genuinely good cars - my family got through a 205 and 309 (I wanted dad to buy a 405 Mi16, but he got a Fiesta XR2i instead. That was good enough :D Brilliant little car, that) and Milford Cubicle had both as well.

The 106 was hit and miss. The standard cars were crap. The GTi was a little bit nasty. The Rallyes were almost 205 GTi 1.6 level. The 306 was mostly good, with the GTi-6 being a little gem. The 406 was an acceptable family car to compete with the other acceptable family cars of the time - Mondeo, Vectra and suchlike. The 406 Coupe is a cracker, but entirely built by Pininfarina (and daan would probably be the first to point out the absolute hilarity of French-designed electrics being assembled by Italians). The 206 was a complete dog.

So overall they went from at least in the top couple of cars in the class across the range to two which were in the top 5, one which was fine if you steered clear of the lower end of the range and a complete cacker.

And what do we have now? The 107 - pap. The 1007 - complete pap. The 207 - whooooo, pap. The 307 - dog pap. The 307 CC - hideous dog pap. The 407 - wide-mouthed frog pap.
 
Oh, wow. What a typo XD.

What I meant to say.
"There is a video of a H1 going up a almost vertical wall."

:lol: I thought so!
 
It was the 6s where Peugeot lost the way. Back when they had the 205, 309, 405 and, yes, 605, they were producing genuinely good cars - my family got through a 205 and 309 (I wanted dad to buy a 405 Mi16, but he got a Fiesta XR2i instead. That was good enough :D Brilliant little car, that) and Milford Cubicle had both as well.

The 106 was hit and miss. The standard cars were crap. The GTi was a little bit nasty. The Rallyes were almost 205 GTi 1.6 level. The 306 was mostly good, with the GTi-6 being a little gem. The 406 was an acceptable family car to compete with the other acceptable family cars of the time - Mondeo, Vectra and suchlike. The 406 Coupe is a cracker, but entirely built by Pininfarina (and daan would probably be the first to point out the absolute hilarity of French-designed electrics being assembled by Italians). The 206 was a complete dog.

I didn't think the 6s were that bad. They all looked good, which is more than can be said for anything that came later, some of them were equipped with very good engines (Peugeot properly got the hang of diesels with them, and the sports petrol ones were all pretty good) and all of them were top of the class for handling until Ford really got their act together (and even then, the Peugeots were smoother-riding). I can vouch for the 406 being a good car - it never went wrong (unlike the Saabs we've had that followed it, and the Laguna my dad had for a while), save for the speedo needle bouncing about a bit. It did several trips to France (4 plus luggage) and regular commuting with no worries.

To me, it's the 7s which really messed everything up. There's not a single good --7+ badged car. Apart from...

And what do we have now? The 107 - pap

I quite like the 107. I mean... I prefer the Aygo and C1, but they're all good cars, and the 107 is the single model in the entire range that's better than it's predecessor. It's just a pity they haven't seen fit to make a GTi or Rallye model of it, instead concentrating GTi attention on woeful cars like the 207 or 308 (or whatever number they're on now).
 
So is this Girlfriend Wars 2 or which car is overrated?
 
Overrated still. Hence the Peugeot discussion.
 
That wall of text is made up of these strings of words called sentences, and if you read them, you discover that wall of text contains points. And when a couple of people are making these points, then it's a discussion ;)
 
Here is a list of cars I think are overrated.
1) Hummer H2 & H3: Hummer thought they built a near indestructible in the H1, but they just couldn't withstand the force of the H2 & H3. Neither one I feel captures what Hummer is about an doubt they could do half the stuff the H1 can. Yet they still get the same reputation.
2) Toyota Prius: This car doesn't deserve to be called green, sure it has good mileage but it is terrible for the environment after it's life is over due to the batteries.
 
Hell, I don't even know that the car is even that overrated (VW never released the Corrado in the States as far as I know), but I just wanted to point that out.

The Corrado was sold in the US until 1995, a rather successful replacement for the popular Scirocco. Sold with the supercharged I4 or the VR6, the car was actually a highly capable sports coupe despite its MKII-generation underpinnings. The styling was certainly advanced for its time, the quality (overall) was actually very good (for a VW), and ultimately it has remained very popular not only with die-hard VW fans, but really the automotive world in general.

So, no, the car is not overrated at all. If anything, it is completely underrated outside of knowledgeable circles.
 
Back