What is the Most Overrated Car Of All Time?

mustang in the USA.

I agree to a point, the stock Mustangs have never had much going on under the hood with a standard V6 in most. However the upgraded versions are where the power comes from with V8's(Boss, GT, GT500, Mach 1, Cobra, Roush, Saleen) there are more but you get the point.
 
Any BMW besides possibly the M5 and the 7 Series.
 
And unlike a 25k Ferrari or Porsche, the maintenance costs aren't out of this world. Getting an oil change will cost you pretty much the same at an Acura dealer as it would for an Integra!

I hear that Porsche's are some of the most reliable cars... At least in their class of cars. They are probably more expensive to take care of than a NSX but I don't think the maintenance costs are a lot more (unless you have a 996).

Sorry for double posting. I don't know how to delete posts...
 
TVC
Any BMW besides possibly the M5 and the 7 Series.

TVC
I hear that Porsche's are some of the most reliable cars... At least in their class of cars. They are probably more expensive to take care of than a NSX but I don't think the maintenance costs are a lot more (unless you have a 996).

Sorry for double posting. I don't know how to delete posts...

Between these two statements, I must question your judgment. Parts are quite a bit more expensive for a Porsche, along with working on them due to how the engines are shoe horned into the cars and so on.
 
BMW's are a love-it-or-hate-it affair...

But, as an enthusiast... I wouldn't say the boat-like 7-series was one of those BMW's I actually love... :lol:
 
BMW's are a love-it-or-hate-it affair...

But, as an enthusiast... I wouldn't say the boat-like 7-series was one of those BMW's I actually love... :lol:

I'd say VW is more of the love or hate affair. BMW honestly seems to me more of the love-it-or-you-don't-even-know deals. A few months ago I would have put the 3 series down as over rated, but I am beginning to understand why it gets all the praise it does.
 
Enjoying that M3, are you?

I love the way all BMWs drive... except the 7-series... the X5 actually drives better... but they just have so many models that seem overpriced, and the run-flats make the new ones ride like crap... well... maybe it's in the target market... the 7-series actually rides pretty well... but to mention the M5 and the 7 as the only BMWs worthy takes two totally different products from the extreme ends of the spectrum... like saying I only like sugar-free ice-cream and triple-decker chocolate surprise. :lol:

Personally... that new V8 M3... mmmhmmmm....
 
A few months ago I would have put the 3 series down as over rated, but I am beginning to understand why it gets all the praise it does.

Ding, ding. Here's more or less my point when I say one gotta drive something in order to say it's overrated :)
 
Agreed with Azure above. I wouldn't consider BMWs overrated, but at least over here they do suffer from a bit of an image problem (well, an image conflict). The badge has a good image and people aspire for the cars, but at the same time, the brand has a reputation for being the sort of cars that utter tools drive, which is a shame. An unfortunately true shame in many cases. Still, it wouldn't put me personally off buying a BMW (otherwise I wouldn't be considering one for my next car), and it didn't put my mate off buying his 3-series, and it hasn't put him off planning to swap it for an E46 M3 either.
 
Rolls Royce Phantom.
 
Back seat too stiff for you? :lol:
 
The umbrellas are flimsy!
 
Spoiled plutocrat! :lol:
 
Porsche 91111111111.
 
TVC
Any BMW besides possibly the M5 and the 7 Series.
Any particular reason why the M5 (which one, btw?) and the 7 series (which one also?) are the only BMW's that aren't overrated in your opinion?

TVC
Sorry for double posting. I don't know how to delete posts...
You can't delete posts. You can only edit the previous if you want to add/change something in it.
Only moderators have the ability to delete posts.
 
TVC
I hear that Porsche's are some of the most reliable cars... At least in their class of cars. They are probably more expensive to take care of than a NSX but I don't think the maintenance costs are a lot more (unless you have a 996).

Sorry for double posting. I don't know how to delete posts...

Err, 996's are both reliable and relatively cheap to run vs their competitors. Annual servicing on mine is about £400 at an independent Porsche specialist (later models are on 24 month/20K intervals). Had to have discs and pads all round this year (£600 fitted), but other than that all it's needed was a new exhaust flange (£165 fitted) and tyres. Even tyres aren't too bad - 4 Conti C2's cost £650 tyres last summer, and I just booked to have 2 rears fitted tomorrow at £200ea... the rears don't last too long though at about 6k miles a set.

Even does 25mpg+ on a steady run.

Edit:

Did a bit of checking on the NSX... looks like clutches and cam belts are the expensive risks on NSX's... a new clutch (lasts c.30k miles) is £1,600, and a cam belt change is £1,000... for perspective, a clutch in a 996 is £650 (mine's done 82k on it's original clutch) and that generally includes a RMS change as well.
 
Last edited:
Had a bit of 'fun' with an NSX on the way back from the Northwest Karting Event a couple of weeks back... Cobalt blue on an 04 plate... looked absolutely stunning. Seemed to be almost a perfect match for the Porsche performance wise too.
 
I feel that the Smart ForTwo is grossly overrated, but not the most overrated at all.

That would probably have to be the Mustang. It does muscle-car things quite well, but it seems people choose them for every imaaginable purpose a vehicle may serve. My dad wanted one a while back to serve as an economical MPV, and now he wants one as a collector's item. Poor, misguided public.

Also, the GM group of at least 10 (by my count) SUVs (i.e. Tahoe) is stupidly overrated. The only thing some of them do well is impress onlookers. A while ago, when it snowed here, I saw a Honda Accord muster up the traction to climb a hill which completely eluded two GM SUVs of this platform (can't remember which ones). Otherwise, it's fabulously inefficient, expensive, and bad to drive.
 
The ForTwo overrated? I disagree. I'm not exactly sure who it's overrated by. Owners love them sure, but they aren't full of themselves enough to make it overrated. They certainly aren't overrated by the press, who make very clear that they have issues and that they're too expensive, and most "car people", with the possible exception of me, dislike them quite a lot.

So yeah, I wouldn't say the smart is overrated.
 
Nissan GT-R. we get it its awesome, now be quiet
 
Uh...Yeah. You came to the wrong forum for that one, buddy. They seem to hate it, here...
 
Otherwise, it's fabulously inefficient, expensive, and bad to drive.

Its a truck, they're supposed to be good to drive? I've had plenty of time behind the wheel of GMT800 and GMT900 SUVs (Two Tahoes, a Yukon and two Avalanches), and while there is no stand-out feature for them, in all they serve their purpose: Tough trucks for a fair price, well, assuming that you bought a model that wasn't fully-loaded (which was always hard to find). The newer GMT900s are very nice, my Dad's 2009 Avalanche being quite the vehicle. With the six-speed automatic and the 5.3L V8, he has been averaging between 16-17 MPG, which is rather impressive for a vehicle that size. Take it out on the highway, when the cylinders shut off, 25 MPG isn't too hard to come by.
 
I saw a Honda Accord muster up the traction to climb a hill which completely eluded two GM SUVs of this platform (can't remember which ones). .

Like I've always said... traction and slick surface safety does not depend on the drivetrain... it depends on the tires.

A point I was reminded of when I was reading a long-term test update about the Mitsubishi Evo... Limited Slips, all around, AWD, and more electronic brains than the Space Shuttle, and the tester couldn't get the thing up a snowy hill (wearing all-seasons instead of snow tires).
 
A point I was reminded of when I was reading a long-term test update about the Mitsubishi Evo... Limited Slips, all around, AWD, and more electronic brains than the Space Shuttle, and the tester couldn't get the thing up a snowy hill (wearing all-seasons instead of snow tires).

Was that Richard Porter (I think that's his name - of Top Gear scriptwriting and sniffpetrol fame) in Evo magazine? I recall reading that, and I recall laughing at it too.
 
Was that Richard Porter (I think that's his name - of Top Gear scriptwriting and sniffpetrol fame) in Evo magazine? I recall reading that, and I recall laughing at it too.

Yup. Quite a funny post, all-in... guess despite the added civility and refinement of the new chassis, the Evo is still about as single-minded as always.
 
Back