What License or mission are you struggling with that you feel ashamed about?

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 389 comments

My next difficult mission is Moby Dick: The Pass with the GT-R 500. Despite the fact that I have run this mission over a second faster than gold examples on YouTube, I still can't get better than second place. PD must have changed the AI in one of the updates to make this challenge even harder than it was at original release. I think Icwill have to run in the 1:13's to get gold. Mid 1:15's used to be good enough for gold.
I think I can confirm this. However, there's two points you should be aware of.
First, the AI behavior and speed is slightly different for each and every attempt.
So you basically will get that one run sooner or later ;) ( as it's always been in GT games ) where they are all easy to pass.
Second, and way more important, is the massive changes regarding driving physics which actually allow for way better times now compared to what we had last spring ( this applies to the AI as well though I think ).
I had a quick shot at this this morning after reading your post and I could improve my original P1 time of 1:14.8 to 1:13.3
at my third attempt ( which was a horrible drive with quite a few mistakes :lol: ).
1:14.8 was good enough for a huge gap to the Aston iirc, while 1:13.3 was a close race to the line.
So yes, you will need medium 1:13 runs for gold now.
Just for the fun, I then spent another thirty minutes on the challenge and improved to 1:12.5 :D ...
2 seconds quicker than before is definitely possible with reasonable effort.

DS4 / MT / no assists but ABS standard

Last edited:
First, the AI behavior and speed is slightly different for each and every attempt.
So you basically will get that one run sooner or later ;) ( as it's always been in GT games ) where they are all easy to pass.
Second, and way more important, is the massive changes regarding driving physics which actually allow for way better times now compared to what we had last spring ( this applies to the AI as well though I think ).
I had a quick shot at this this morning after reading your post and I could improve my original P1 time of 1:14.8 to 1:13.3
at my third attempt ( which was a horrible drive with quite a few mistakes :lol: ).
1:14.8 was good enough for a huge gap to the Aston iirc, while 1:13.3 was a close race to the line.
Just for the fun, I then spent another thirty minutes on the challenge and improved to 1:12.5 :D ...
2 seconds quicker is definitely possible with reasonable effort.

Oh great, you already head most of my friend leader boards so now I will have to work even harder just to get close to you???

Last edited:
Feeling ashamed? None if course. Would be weird.

But i have to say, that PD's decission to not reward silver with cars is really bad. For many casuals bronze is super easy and gold is out of reach. So there is no motivation for silver. Saying that gold should feel like a real reward is not adressing that issue at all.

Oh great, you already head most of my friend leader boards so now I will have to work even harder just to get close to you???
I'm sure you can do this as well mate, and even be quicker, as there was quite some margin of improvement in that run.
I overtook the Porsche and the NSX before the chicane and was at the Aston's bumper in the penultimate turn.
I then drove around that guy on the loooooooooong outside of the last turn being afraid of him running into me and
ruining a smooth and clean run. :odd::lol:

2 seconds quicker is definitely possible with reasonable effort.

1:12:5? How? I take the first turn in 4th, upshift to 5th full throttle around the Audi, then a slight lift to get around the Honda on the right hand turn, hard on the brakes to 2nd gear for the tight left hander and a short shift to 3rd to avoid wheel spin on the exit. Then its full bore down the hill and catch the Porsche and (I think) another Honda on the brakes in to the chicane, but they block me from getting around them as they go 2 wide through these turns. I short shift to 2nd on the tight left of the chicane and pass the Porsche here. This is where it all goes pear shaped for me. I struggle to get traction on this exit and the car either spins out on me or I have to be super careful with my throttle inputs. Meanwhile the 2nd place car (I think its a Honda) starts to pull away. The off camber right hander also gives me big time traction problems, so I cant go full throttle around this or it spins out or pushes wide off the track. The tight left hander usually requires me to shift down to 1st to get the rotation I need but I have to short shift to 2nd to not spin out and still modulate the throttle to keep the car straight. The last right hander up the hill is where I can not keep pace with the AI. They out accelerate me and maintain more traction that have been able to do and when we hit the straights, they are already outpacing me, so no slipstream is available. I've done multiple low 1:14's and it feels like the AI keeps getting faster.

Do you use Manual gears?
Of course I do.

1:12:5? How? I take the first turn in 4th, upshift to 5th full throttle around the Audi, then a slight lift to get around the Honda on the right hand turn, hard on the brakes to 2nd gear for the tight left hander and a short shift to 3rd to avoid wheel spin on the exit. Then its full bore down the hill and catch the Porsche and (I think) another Honda on the brakes in to the chicane, but they block me from getting around them as they go 2 wide through these turns. I short shift to 2nd on the tight left of the chicane and pass the Porsche here. This is where it all goes pear shaped for me. I struggle to get traction on this exit and the car either spins out on me or I have to be super careful with my throttle inputs. Meanwhile the 2nd place car (I think its a Honda) starts to pull away. The off camber right hander also gives me big time traction problems, so I cant go full throttle around this or it spins out or pushes wide off the track. The tight left hander usually requires me to shift down to 1st to get the rotation I need but I have to short shift to 2nd to not spin out and still modulate the throttle to keep the car straight. The last right hander up the hill is where I can not keep pace with the AI. They out accelerate me and maintain more traction that have been able to do and when we hit the straights, they are already outpacing me, so no slipstream is available. I've done multiple low 1:14's and it feels like the AI keeps getting faster.
Honestly there's not too many differences.

I stay on the inside of the Lexus and I try to stay there up to T3 to get an optimum entry.

T3 is crucial imo. These missions always had these kind of key points where you have to be quick and successful. Try to be quick enough in the first part of the challenge to overtake the Porsche and the NSX before the chicane.

I don't use 1st gear but don't ask me why. :lol:

If you realize you're having a hard time keeping traction or not being able to go full throttle without going wide in the section after the chicane ... you gotta ! be easy on the throttle, there's no excuse otherwise. I'm having the same difficulties here btw but sometimes slow is quicker.

As for the last turn ... don't know ... try to break earlier, keep the car stable, be careful on the throttle and smoothly accelerate out.

In case you want another replay to look at, let me know. I could share mine within the in game show booth and you should be able to find it in the discovery section.

I'm sure you can do this as well mate, and even be quicker, as there was quite some margin of improvement in that run.
I overtook the Porsche and the NSX before the chicane and was at the Aston's bumper in the penultimate turn.
I then drove around that guy on the loooooooooong outside of the last turn being afraid of him running into me and
ruining a smooth and clean run. :odd::lol:
I will have to give it a try again. Your leading times on my leader boards have helped me become quicker. You gave a lot of mission and circuit experience times that are darn difficult to equal or beat. Most often I'm happy to finish second to you within a tenth or so, there are a few I managed to top you on but I'm sure you could come back and improve on if you desire. Nice driving!!

Of course I do.
That night be the problem. Your Gearing affects how quickly the AI performs.

My gold times in many challenges were slower than many of my silver times until I took certain turns in higher gears.

When I performed my best times I couldn't get gold.

This was true of Suzuka NSX one lap magic, Spa F1500T in the rain mission, and the GT500 at Fuji that you're struggling with.

Last edited:
This might not be the most common kind of problem I want to post about, it's not about getting gold or feeling ashamed for something, however, I'm definitely struggling hard and I hope to get some advice or help here.
I'm running Mission 1-5 atm, the Willys race at Colorado Springs in the dark, and I'm trying to beat the 50 seconds mark.
I've been doing 250 km today :crazy: and though I think it should be possible ( since many others have achieved it ), the best I could do is a 50.4. Whatever I try I don't get beyond that.
Any ideas, hints regarding the most crucial aspects of this challenge ?

Last edited:
This might not be the most common kind of problem I want to post about, it's not about getting gold or feeling ashamed for something, however, I'm definitely struggling hard and I hope to get some advice or help here.
I'm running Mission 1-5 atm, the Willys race at Colorado Springs in the dark, and I'm trying to beat the 50 seconds mark.
I've been doing 250 km today :crazy: and though I think it should be possible ( since many others have achieved it ), the best I could do is a 50.4. Whatever I try I don't get beyond that.
Any ideas, hints regarding the most crucial aspects of this challenge ?
Is that the one where they had to fix the mission during an update because it didn't have dirt tires on it which made it virtually impossible? IIRC correctly it's about the 2 turns going uphill at the beginning, you have to take the correct line and not lift at all.

For me it was National A-4. The yellow Civic on Tokyo. I have no idea why, but it took forever. I had to do four sessions before I was able to gold it. S-10 was actually done and dusted in shorter time! Very, very strange :confused:
:lol:

That night be the problem. Your Gearing affects how quickly the AI performs.

My gold times in many challenges were slower than many of my silver times until I took certain turns in higher gears.

When I performed my best times I couldn't get gold.

This was true of Suzuka NSX one lap magic, Spa F1500T in the rain mission, and the GT500 at Fuji that you're struggling with.

At Spa the rain helps you out. Each time you exit to the world map and re enter the mission, the rain intensity changes. If it's raining hard enough, the AI will all spin out at Les Combes, then do stupid stuff trying to get back on the road. Thread your way between them and then git ta goin' to win this.

At Spa the rain helps you out. Each time you exit to the world map and re enter the mission, the rain intensity changes. If it's raining hard enough, the AI will all spin out at Les Combes, then do stupid stuff trying to get back on the road. Thread your way between them and then git ta goin' to win this.

I've done them all. I was just explaining that the quicker you are through gearing, the quicker the AI in the missions can be.

By using a higher gear (MT) through certain turns the AI reacts differently.

I have many Golds that are slower than failed Silver attempts.

I've completed all missions, months ago.

I thought I'd report back what happened to my attempt running sub 50 seconds in Mission 1-5, the Willys race.
I make it short regarding the result : I was successful, did a 49.8 without contact. I'm happy with the time.
I'm not so happy though with the circumstances. What I had to learn ( again ) is something I should have known or thought of right away which is what massive impact the dynamic conditions can have.
When I loaded that challenge the day after my post above, I couldn't get nowhere near my times from the night before but I was sure, I'm not that inconsistent to lose more than a second from one day to another. Then it slowly dawned on me, it's not my driving ...
but the wind. ( Btw, though I don't have proof, I'm sure this applies to many many of these events. )
Believe it or not, after exiting and reloading the race, I immediately did two sub 50 runs in a row and that was that.

Honestly, I'd prefer a bigger stress on my driving abilities and a smaller one on the race conditions and thus have more comparability between times on leader boards.

So if someone struggles with some challenge, maybe with passing fast cars on Fuji or something ;) ... you might want to try "exit and reload".

:cheers:

Last edited:
I thought I'd report back what happened to my attempt running sub 50 seconds in Mission 1-5, the Willys race.
I make it short regarding the result : I was successful, did a 49.8 without contact. I'm happy with the time.
I'm not so happy though with the circumstances. What I had to learn ( again ) is something I should have known or thought of right away which is what massive impact the dynamic conditions can have.
When I loaded that challenge the day after my post above, I couldn't get nowhere near my times from the night before but I was sure, I'm not that inconsistent to lose more than a second from one day to another. Then it slowly dawned on me, it's not my driving ...
but the wind. ( Btw, though I don't have proof, I'm sure this applies to many many of these events. )
Believe it or not, after exiting and reloading the race, I immediately did two sub 50 runs in a row and that was that.

Honestly, I'd prefer a bigger stress on my driving abilities and a smaller one on the race conditions and thus have more comparability between times on leader boards.

So if someone struggles with some challenge, maybe with passing fast cars on Fuji or something ;) ... you might want to try "exit and reload".

:cheers:
Thats a great point, I never even considered that. Although in real life I don't think that that Jeep is fast enough to really be affected by anything less than a 20-30MPH headwind. I have never tried converting feet per second to see what the typical wind scale is in GT7.

Only missing the wet lap for the platinum trophy but I can't bring myself to care enough to shave off the final couple of seconds.

I got all golds in the Magic Mountain missions except for mission 8. The Fiat 2-lap challenge at Maggiore. I'm having a time here, no matter what method I use I finish either second or third. There has to be a secret trick for gaining enough speed to pass the leader. I'm really not a fan of these extremely slow cars, it's not the essence of Gran Turismo. I may need a hint for this.

I got all golds in the Magic Mountain missions except for mission 8. The Fiat 2-lap challenge at Maggiore. I'm having a time here, no matter what method I use I finish either second or third. There has to be a secret trick for gaining enough speed to pass the leader. I'm really not a fan of these extremely slow cars, it's not the essence of Gran Turismo. I may need a hint for this.
There must be something fundamentally wrong then.
I take the lead on lap one at the short uphill section after the first tight right, in other words I'm on P1 after about 30 seconds into the race. I use a DS4, no assists except ABS, the best hint I can give you though is "Learn how to let this little car fly". ;)

Last edited:
Oh, and also the first cone challenge. The single cone to the far left throws my time off cause I have to brake to hit that cone and then proceed with the rest of the cones/line. This will take some time, I guess I could watch some YT walkthroughs and learn what they do to pass(gold) it.

I agree, drifting missions stink. I'll have to try them again on the controller.

My next difficult mission is Moby Dick: The Pass with the GT-R 500. Despite the fact that I have run this mission over a second faster than gold examples on YouTube, I still can't get better than second place. PD must have changed the AI in one of the updates to make this challenge even harder than it was at original release. I think Icwill have to run in the 1:13's to get gold. Mid 1:15's used to be good enough for gold.
Have some update ruined this mission? I feel that something’s wrong here…

I'm just re doing this on hard and it's not easy. The first 2 cars are fine if you can hold the pace the others really hard and contact is set to none. This is hard.
I agree this is more difficult than it was.

I can do the first 2 cars in T1/2 but the rest are catchable but contact penalties are high now. This is definitely harder than it was.

I’m retrying these missions on a new account. The Moby Dick pass mission in the Gr.2 GT-R is still really difficult. I’ve run a 1:14.8 and that only got me second place. You need to run faster than a 1:14 to get gold. I posted my 1:13 gold run in another thread.

Last edited:
I agree this is more difficult than it was.

I can do the first 2 cars in T1/2 but the rest are catchable but contact penalties are high now. This is definitely harder than it was.
I used 3 hour to solve this crazy mission. Here is maybe some help from me:

• You ned to pass the two first cars without loosing to much time. If the Audi is to close or disturb your turn 2 you to much, you must go back to the menu. The AI is slightly different every time.
  • After the last update its impossible for me to overtake on the back straight.
  • You must overtake the 911 and NSX before the last corner, it’s was not possible to overtake the NSX and Subaru before the finish line for me.
  • I overtook the 911 and NSX in turn 12 on the inside, this was a “desperate” move, but it worked perfectly.

Good luck 😃

Last edited:
Well in "Moby Dick", they have totally messed up the Mixed Class 1 challenge at Fuji, they should have upped the prize, gold for like 50k, silver: 30k and bronze: 20k. I do not know what PD was thinking about this, now I can't get past the leader, the best I can do is 2nd, they should have not put the driver so far from the leader, idk how to catch him.

Back